Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Farm Frenzy posted:

didnt pretty much everywhere treat being gay as a psychological disorder in the 1960s

Nah, quite a few places were "we don't give a poo poo".

tbh same applies to quite a few legitimate psychological disorders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Farm Frenzy posted:

didnt pretty much everywhere treat being gay as a psychological disorder in the 1960s

While that's largely true it's worth remembering that Section 28 was only abolished in England and Wales in 2003.

e: the same year as the start of the Iraq War, for perspective

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Dec 30, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Private Speech posted:

While that's largely true it's worth remembering that Section 28 was only abolished in England and Wales in 2003.

same year as lawrence v texas!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SloughForEU/status/1344051320861433858?s=19

And here's Sad Eels Man getting a lot of money from the EU to rebuild his factory. But what did the EU ever do for us?

Private Speech posted:

I don't know which is worse - that it wasn't repealed until 2003 or that it was implemented as late as 1988! There was a 20 year period when homosexuality was legal and it wasn't forbidden to talk about gay people in a positive way in schools (it may have been vanishingly rare but it wasn't literally illegal) and then we decided to regress from that.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

was really surprised he didnt say it was still worth it because of vague reasons about sovereignty

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-55475433

quote:

Brexit deal mentions Netscape browser and Mozilla Mail

References to decades-old computer software are included in the new Brexit agreement, including a description of Netscape Communicator and Mozilla Mail as being "modern" services.

Experts believe officials must have copied and pasted chunks of text from old legislation into the document.

The references are on page 921 of the trade deal , in a section on encryption technology.

It also recommends using systems that are now vulnerable to cyber-attacks.

The text cites "modern e-mail software packages including Outlook, Mozilla Mail as well as Netscape Communicator 4.x."

The latter two are now defunct - the last major release of Netscape Communicator was in 1997 .

The 90s UK is back, baby! Wooo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mrmcd posted:

Directly into my veins.

Also wtf who is buying all these live eels??

It's amazing that the British managed to gently caress up cooking eel, one of the most delicious fish, so badly that they are convinced it's a garbage fish. Just don't cook it like that! You could be eating delicious eel for every meal but you insist on being the worst loving country in the world that can't do anything right.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

please dont eat eels, the worlds friendliest fish

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eclectic eels have really neat wall art

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BalloonFish posted:

I don't know which is worse - that it wasn't repealed until 2003 or that it was implemented as late as 1988! There was a 20 year period when homosexuality was legal and it wasn't forbidden to talk about gay people in a positive way in schools (it may have been vanishingly rare but it wasn't literally illegal) and then we decided to regress from that.
poo poo, that was only a year before Denmark allowed same-sex civil unions. Guess we haven't been entirely in lockstep with the UK in terms of politics in the last 50 years, even if there are a lot of similarities.

You think that's bad, wait till you find the references to princely states!

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

It's amazing that the British managed to gently caress up cooking eel, one of the most delicious fish, so badly that they are convinced it's a garbage fish. Just don't cook it like that! You could be eating delicious eel for every meal but you insist on being the worst loving country in the world that can't do anything right.

Have you seen the rest of British cuisine? loving up eel pales in comparison.

Although the "what if breakfast, but actually enough calories for two entire days" approach is pretty solid

Falcorum has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Dec 30, 2020

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/RogerHelmerMEP/status/1275767103715520513

https://twitter.com/RogerHelmerMEP/status/1343474457290149889

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VBDg1sloA

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Pre-WW2 English cooking wasn’t that bad, maybe they gave up their taste buds at yalta?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
there will be adequate eel?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

was really surprised he didnt say it was still worth it because of vague reasons about sovereignty

His workers will finally be free from the oppressive regime of employment

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
i’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve said or thought this, but it must be nice to have constituents who don’t remember anything beyond what they had for breakfast today.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

:rip:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i have made it a personal point of pride to refer to it as the "british flu"

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

'Twas the night before Brexit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The uk health secretary clearly.wants to boast about the numbers of people vaccinated so has decided to let everyone get the first dose and then wait 3 months for the second. Issue with this is Pfizer have said there is no testing to see if it works

Freelancefogy
Mar 31, 2010

redleader posted:

i have made it a personal point of pride to refer to it as the "british flu"

I prefer brit-plague or anglo-curse.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Jose posted:

The uk health secretary clearly.wants to boast about the numbers of people vaccinated so has decided to let everyone get the first dose and then wait 3 months for the second. Issue with this is Pfizer have said there is no testing to see if it works

the UK has a terminal case of galaxybrain unfortunately

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

but have you considered that means there's no testing to see if it doesn't work :pseudo:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
love to turn an entire country into antivaxxers to be able to boast about numbers

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

sounds like you lucky fuckers are gonna be eating domestic eel breakfast lunch and dinner

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Gripweed posted:

There's plenty of restaurants in NI that serve delicious smoked eel, usually caught the same day since once of Europe's largest eel fisheries is less than an hour's drive from anywhere in the country. It exports hundreds of tonnes a year to Germany and the Netherlands. They're so good they got protected geographical status in the EU so eels from other fisheries can't be passed off as the genuine article.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unleash heck

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

lmao
https://twitter.com/amessd_southend/status/1344363331436617728?s=20
thatcher is definitely not in heaven

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I also doubt she is rejoicing at her own party making GBS threads on her finest moment, "no no no", a.k.a. the 66% rebate on EU contributions from the UK.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1344629788191973376?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he looks better than his son lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thank god. tim tams and h*ck will see britain thru these (entirely voluntary, extremely stupid) times

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5j0JDOYOTA

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
sausages are just pork eels

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
That's one of the royals, right? Has to be, given that she's making a (hosed-up version of) a traditional German dish.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1344781682537361417

This is the brexiting hour

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006