Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hearts r isn't gonna blow your mind but if you like tales and have a vita, it's a good time chasing after someone's fractured emotions and accidentally learning a retired painter's deepest darkest secret. the battle system i think would be a lot better if tp didn't exist, but chase links are a fun mechanic and you can micromanage party ai with gambits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

A Sometimes Food posted:

Replaying Dragon's Dogma.

Man this game is so unique and like there's so many things begging for iteration or enhancements. Come on CAPCOM let/get Itsuno make a new one.

I literally can't believe this game never got a real sequel and it's devolved to the point where a buddy and I joke--sadly--whenever big game reveal events are happening that something Must Be Dragon's Dogma 2, Finally, whenever something even vaguely similar shows up.

A while back the thread prompted me to try out Scarlet Grace, but I still haven't been able to get it to stop permanently loading after every few battles, so I'm moving on to finally check out Etrian Odyssey 4 after having it in my periphery for years.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ninjewtsu posted:

What's a good tales of game to get into after vesperia and berseria

Abyss or Xillia probably.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Zore posted:

Abyss or Xillia probably.

This makes me wonder: Is Tales of Symphonia not as good as I remember when I played it as a kid and I just have very strong nostalgia goggles for it, or are the latter ones just that much better? I only played a bit of Berseria and got about 3/4ths of the way through Abyss when it came out and can't really recall a strong take on them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Barudak posted:

Labyrinth of Refrain coven issues:

Kicking off, the game has a neat idea in that you use "Covens" for setting up your party. Basically each slot of 5 total you can assign a coven. A coven dictates how many characters can fit in that slot, the xp they earn, what type of characters can even go in those slots, passive bonuses, and what spells they can cast. A coven can have between 1-8 character slots available. I love this idea!

1) While some covens can be earned from quests or found in treasure, many are random drops especially regarding getting duplicates. This leads to:
a) Some really really destroy the games difficulty curve good ones are random drops so apparently you can very early on get ones that upend the whole games curve
b) Theres no checklist or explanation of how to get these covenants and no way to buy any except a completely trash useless one that might as be labeled "for idiots only"
c) Wondering if you should be farming another one you found and liked if it is even farmable

2) Covens have clear tiers, the ones you start with should be trash binned basically the moment you have better ones and theres absolutely no value to hanging onto them later, you'll never need them

3) Covens control so much of your character options but there is no way to adjust or modify them. You have to take what the game gives you so you're basically building your party around your covens you have available. This would be fine, but--

4) There just aren't that many covens, especially viable ones, for huge stretches of the game. As noted, I didn't change my coven setup for close to 20 hours in the game. A huge reason for that was I saw maybe 10 new covens in that period and they all were very very bad.

5) You can't find out the information about what the spells a coven has actually do until you equip the coven and try to use it in battle. I do not understand how this is not a feature but it means if you're hoping a coven has good spells you gotta do a lot of work to setup and test it just to see

Edit: Absolute lmao that the "holy king" whose pure spirit can seal away a horror from beyond time and space with his goodness built an immortal child slave to do his work for him for 1,000 years and lied to it that he could bring back its dead parents (which again, it does not have) to keep it motivated. He does all this through paper notes claiming to be god so he doesn't have to interact with the slave child in person.

Whenever anyone mentions this game they say something like "well, the story is unpleasant but at least the gameplay is nice" and then I say that the gameplay is trash too, but no one ever listens.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sab Sabbington posted:

This makes me wonder: Is Tales of Symphonia not as good as I remember when I played it as a kid and I just have very strong nostalgia goggles for it, or are the latter ones just that much better? I only played a bit of Berseria and got about 3/4ths of the way through Abyss when it came out and can't really recall a strong take on them.

I still have a lot of nostalgia for Symphonia but mentioning it in this thread usually brings out a lot of valid criticism. It definitely aged a lot worse than Abyss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symphonia has janky kinda sluggish combat and a really weak plot/characters. abyss has janky kinda sluggish combat and a pretty good plot/characters.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Sab Sabbington posted:

I literally can't believe this game never got a real sequel and it's devolved to the point where a buddy and I joke--sadly--whenever big game reveal events are happening that something Must Be Dragon's Dogma 2, Finally, whenever something even vaguely similar shows up.

A while back the thread prompted me to try out Scarlet Grace, but I still haven't been able to get it to stop permanently loading after every few battles, so I'm moving on to finally check out Etrian Odyssey 4 after having it in my periphery for years.

They made a lovely anime that probably did poorly and completely dumpstered any hope of a series revival. I swear Capcom does this kind of stuff on purpose.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I have no idea who was even demanding a Dradog anime. You'd think something that out of left field would be a passion project, but the whole thing is so painfully generic, derivative, and soulless that it can only be read as a genuine attempt to make it a big thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clarste posted:

Whenever anyone mentions this game they say something like "well, the story is unpleasant but at least the gameplay is nice" and then I say that the gameplay is trash too, but no one ever listens.

I got suckered in on the demo + people saying the gameplay is good. The demo does a really good job of implying a solid consistent progression but hoooboy that doesn't keep up and the rest of the people I assume arr liars.

Other issues:

1) You can level covens up. All this does is lower the cost of taking them into a dungeon. So long as your total cost isn't above 70 you'll really never care and Covens level up stupid fast in endgame. This basically just becomes a quick grind to go from "this coven costs 56 of 100 of your points" to "this coven costs 6 points of 100 of your points". Pure busy work in edgecases otherwise completely ignorable.

2) You can fine "sealed" items in dungeons. This have randomized stats and can't be used until unsealed. You can find these starting in the second dungeon but can't unseal them until the third.
a) The stats on these are, negligibly, better than an equivalent unsealed item from the same dungeon. I've never seen one be of the highest or second highest quality tier in a dungeon so even with the boosts you'll find better gear which means you will never ever use one of these
b) the cost of unsealing them is hideously disproportional to this fact
c) Items from each dungeon are a clear tier, so all of those items you've been carrrying since dungeon 2 and pay a fortune to unlock are even more obsolete than point a suggests

3) There is an automapper, hooray. There are like 10 different kind of chests that require a master key to open, with those keys unlocked as you progress through the game/find hidden areas. Guess what, the automapper doesn't note what kind of chest it is on the map so have fun trying to remember if that was a chest you have the key now for or not!

4) This is slightly petty but you can find items that give you additional art for each class so you can go from 3 options for each class to four. These items are called "Third Palette"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

They made a lovely anime that probably did poorly and completely dumpstered any hope of a series revival. I swear Capcom does this kind of stuff on purpose.

It's probably still happening it's just that for awhile the director behind the first game was busy with DMC V.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Clarste posted:

it's almost like people have different tastes when it comes to gameplay

#wow #woah

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sakurazuka posted:

Graces F on the PS3 or Abyss on the 3DS. If you don't have either of those consoles lying around nothing really.
Did they change anything on 3DS to make it (Abyss) attractive to someone who already owns the PS2 version?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sab Sabbington posted:

RIP Dragon's Dogma Online, had insanely good mechanical evolution over the original and ended service about a year ago.

All I want from DD2 is the classes from the MMO.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Commander Keene posted:

Did they change anything on 3DS to make it (Abyss) attractive to someone who already owns the PS2 version?

All I remember is less loading and that they fixed the Asch keep glitch

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

4) This is slightly petty but you can find items that give you additional art for each class so you can go from 3 options for each class to four. These items are called "Third Palette"

Sounds reasonable. Clearly one of the palettes is meant to be the default, aka "Palette Zero". :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
dragon's dogma but it's also breath of the wild

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was joking in my last post rambling about the story but they just went and did it and the game makes even less sense now. "Remember when I said a bunch of nonsensical bullshit that required people to act weird for no reason? Haha here's more and even stupider!" One of the central characters makes absolutely 0% sense now that I know the backstory that Im half expecting the game to have to asspull another twist out of its rear end and tell me nothing in the game is real its all just a story being written by a hack author because this is incorrigibly stupid.

On a related note, the game has mandatory "two boys get horribly abused and delimbed" puppet shows as part of its story and I can see how, tangentially, they relate to the narrative but its such a waste of motif and writing time that its almost insulting.

Oh and in general if you have issues reading about people's eyeballs getting damaged in various horrible ways this is not the game for you because it lives for eyeball destruction

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Clarste posted:

If atlus would hurry the gently caress up with etrian odyssey we wouldn't need this second tier trash for switch dungeon crawling

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dpulex posted:

If atlus would hurry the gently caress up with etrian odyssey we wouldn't need this second tier trash for switch dungeon crawling

Apparently Experience Incs double pack of Savior of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City with both versions being the enhanced ones (seriously, why were these vita only???) is coming in January to both PC and Switch I think

Stranger of Sword City needs a better teleport system if it wants me to play again after the horrific slog the first one turned into

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Srice posted:

It's probably still happening it's just that for awhile the director behind the first game was busy with DMC V.

Yeah they've been really open about wanting to do it after they're done with DMC5 but they could always be doing something else first.

Dragon's Dogma with non-obtuse quests, fast travelling and affection would be great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Yeah they've been really open about wanting to do it after they're done with DMC5 but they could always be doing something else first.

Dragon's Dogma with non-obtuse quests, fast travelling and affection would be great.

I refuse to accept a Dragon's Dogma that doesn't have the loving hilarious affection system the original had.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ImpAtom posted:

I refuse to accept a Dragon's Dogma that doesn't have the loving hilarious affection system the original had.

They should make the jester romance the canon ending to the first game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They should make the jester romance the canon ending to the first game.

That doesn't sound like Fournival.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Commander Keene posted:

Actually release it where I live :v:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My big hope if we get a Dragons Dogma sequel in the future, outside it being good is they rip the housing system from MH World. Let me loot dungeons and fill my house with fancy furniture I robbed from goblins or something. You have a house in DD that never goes anywhere so I think it was sorta planned even then?

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed. Fix the other jank, but this has to stay.

Sakurazuka posted:

Graces F on the PS3 or Abyss on the 3DS. If you don't have either of those consoles lying around nothing really.

Yeah this is the best option if you can pull it off. Especially Graces F.

Looper posted:

i don't know much about touhou but i do know that beryl is a fun character

Okay she's less Marisa up close.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the recent massive Capcom hack confirmed that Dragon's Dogma 2 is indeed currently in development, with a planned release date of mid 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I played this so long ago that I forget how this worked.

When I think of Dragon's Dogma jank, I think of the insane pawn system conversations. TIS WEAK TO FIRE.

Actually my favourite is something along the lines of "Look at that big tree. If you go up to it, it looks bigger."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Tis a big tree <pause as you approach> Tis bigger up close"

The patched the beloved system because like 90% of players had the shopkeeper

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I've got a new pc with good specs for the first time in my life and I'd like suggestions on what 'modern' rpg to play on it. No cyberpunk please, but I was looking at nier or nioh. Any others I should look at?

I played pillars of eternity 1 and 2 and divinity 1 and 2 and enjoyed them but the combat got boring after a while. I've played all the dark souls and enjoyed them a lot. I'm not tied to the action rpg though, I've played jrpgs and enjoyed them too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lih posted:

the recent massive Capcom hack confirmed that Dragon's Dogma 2 is indeed currently in development, with a planned release date of mid 2022

Yeah and itsuno was always clearly doing something after DMC 5

Wonder who they'll get for combat director now that the guy who did DragDog 1 is over at S-E

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spikes32 posted:

I've got a new pc with good specs for the first time in my life and I'd like suggestions on what 'modern' rpg to play on it. No cyberpunk please, but I was looking at nier or nioh. Any others I should look at?

I played pillars of eternity 1 and 2 and divinity 1 and 2 and enjoyed them but the combat got boring after a while. I've played all the dark souls and enjoyed them a lot. I'm not tied to the action rpg though, I've played jrpgs and enjoyed them too.

Yakuza

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Tae posted:

Yakuza

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The final boss of the standard ending of Labyrinth of Refrain is incredibly stupidly designed. If you attempt to fight it like any other boss it just dumps on you from a great height and will all but guaranteed to wipe you in a few turns. The trick is if you find a secret chest hidden behind a secret boss hidden in a secret area, it has a coven with a single spell which again you can't see what it does until you equip it and get into a fight.

Use this insanely expensive spell (it costs 900mp when the next most expensive skill I've seen is 250) in the final boss fight and you'll have to try to lose. It seals off the instant death effect and multi target damage from the boss and makes its spells take an extra turn to charge so you basically just survive her first hit and then click autoattack until it ends. This spell only works on the final boss, by the by, so this entire thing has no other use or purpose.

It then sends you to the ending and asks you to save your game in a new slot. This time though, it absolutely isn't loving around, this is a dead save you're making and can only be used for NG+. There is 0 indication that there is an entire other final dungeon and 6 secret super bosses guarding it that must be defeated prior to fighting the final boss or else again, game just ends.

There is a giant humanoid bossfight with a glowing light covering his dong, so oh hey tact. Then you can fight a secret boss which is a giant humanoid woman who is invulnerable until you use a spell to rip off her clothes and then blow up a modesty satellite hovering over her crotch.

Woooooo!!!!

Spikes32 posted:

Yakuza

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 30, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Alright that's pretty clear I'll start playing it immediately

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Yakuza

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Spikes32 posted:

Yakuza

0 or Like a Dragon (7) are the recommended starts.

0 is the start of Kiryu's seven game story and a brawler with rpg elements. LAD is the start of a new protagonist's story and a traditional JRPG.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
So I, unexpectedly, ended up bouncing off of Etrian Odyssey 4 hard and am gonna sit on it for a while until I can revisit it on actual 3DS hardware. I've no idea when I started getting so picky about my RPGs since I used to just devour anything tossed in front of me, but here I am.

I can't recall if I asked this before in this thread, but does anyone know of any non-Switch, relatively modern stuff with base building/upgrading or some form of semi-detached metaprogression? Rune Factory 5 that's supposed to drop next year has me hype. I haven't checked out the subgenre since I grabbed Ys VIII a while back and am hoping I can find something new before I go replay Dark Cloud 2 for the 10th time.

Anyone have any strong opinions on the Atelier series, and think that might scratch a similar itch?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sab Sabbington posted:

So I, unexpectedly, ended up bouncing off of Etrian Odyssey 4 hard and am gonna sit on it for a while until I can revisit it on actual 3DS hardware. I've no idea when I started getting so picky about my RPGs since I used to just devour anything tossed in front of me, but here I am.

I can't recall if I asked this before in this thread, but does anyone know of any non-Switch, relatively modern stuff with base building/upgrading or some form of semi-detached metaprogression? Rune Factory 5 that's supposed to drop next year has me hype. I haven't checked out the subgenre since I grabbed Ys VIII a while back and am hoping I can find something new before I go replay Dark Cloud 2 for the 10th time.

Anyone have any strong opinions on the Atelier series, and think that might scratch a similar itch?

might I suggest this little-know indie gem called Hades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

multijoe posted:

might I suggest this little-know indie gem called Hades?

Oh wow I've never heard of this before, that Sisyphus character and his best friend look really wholesome!