Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

which underlying health issue was that?

Life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

3 out of 10 Americans aren't undead...

..are they?:ohdear:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

was he really overweight?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EofZGdZXcAMfUpa?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

From a medical definition, yes? A 6 foot tall man should weigh less than 178 lbs to be considered a "healthy" weight, and by that definition well over half of americans are unhealthily overweight. I don't know which exact forumla the US is supposed to use for BMI calculations so it could be off by a few lbs, kilograms, or fractions of a stone, but here you go.

I don't know how tall that guy is or what he weighs but the body shape says greater than 25 BMI to me. And then you have our perfect 6'3" president who definitely is merely overweight instead of obese, since he weighs in at exactly (checks chart) 239 lbs.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Dec 30, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did you seriously bust out a BMI chart about a man whose weight you don't know to prove a point about him being overweight when he's clearly visibly not

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzVc7s-_e8

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Heath posted:

Did you seriously bust out a BMI chart about a man whose weight you don't know to prove a point about him being overweight when he's clearly visibly not

I think you're thinking of overweight in a cultural sense, rather then a medical one. You can still easily be overweight in a 'pre-existing condition' sense without being visibly fat at all. I'm not saying that I know for certain that he's overweight, but just statistically speaking there's a 75% chance he is and that photo doesn't actually prove otherwise.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We're so used to seeing people who are medically overweight it looks normal to us now. Look up old photos from the 50's and 60's and everyone looks deathly thin. They're not, we're all just fat.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I think you're thinking of overweight in a cultural sense, rather then a medical one. You can still easily be overweight in a 'pre-existing condition' sense without being visibly fat at all. I'm not saying that I know for certain that he's overweight, but just statistically speaking there's a 75% chance he is and that photo doesn't actually prove otherwise.

I don't think covid makes the distinction in who it kills by whether they're 6'0" and 177 pounds or 5'11" and 178 pounds

BMI is a very questionable metric in determining anything other than a very general guideline, a 5'7" 200 lb. bodybuilder is grossly obese by that chart

Besides, the point being made is a semantic discussion about whether or not he "had a pre existing condition" or not as though it matters for literally any reason

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Looking at pictures of the dude, he has a fat neck, fat fingers, and a gut.

cakesmith handyman posted:

We're so used to seeing people who are medically overweight it looks normal to us now. Look up old photos from the 50's and 60's and everyone looks deathly thin. They're not, we're all just fat.
Yeah. Dude is not like obese, probably skinnier than most Americans, but still overweight. (and not because he’s a musclebound hunk.)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Neckbearded obese goons trying desperately to argue the bland, traditionally handsome dead chud was actually overweight, to prove... something

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

”Cup Runneth Over" posted:

Neckbearded obese goons
The obese goons are definitely the ones arguing that this guy is overweight, not the ones who can’t even recognize someone overweight.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

trying desperately to argue the bland, traditionally handsome dead chud was actually overweight, to prove... something
The point is that a ton of people downplay health risks, based on the vulnerable being those with existing health conditions, a group that is far larger than people assume and which probably includes themselves.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

99% of America is overweight

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

All I'm saying is that small town republican dude's family had to shell out a few extra bucks for the "L" size coffin and morgue-suit fitting. It's not a value judgement on how fat we all are.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looking at pictures of the dude, he has a fat neck, fat fingers, and a gut.

Help, I've been doxxed

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

well this is what his doctor said:

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1344143900940767233

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

fat spotted

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
bmi is dumb as hell may as well get a skull shape mapping done too

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BMI is a public health thing meant for macro level analysis and breaks down when pointed at just one person. The true test of fitness is as it always has been - pitched and mortal combat

The doctor said they had no preconditions, I think people need to Listen To The Scienctists

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Still pushing that "with" angle huh

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

I am glad god has punished this clearly morbidly obese man

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Lotta defensive fat people itt

Spoiler: I too am overweight according to the BMI chart, I accept it and am trying to get thinner by walking an hour every day.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Still pushing that "with" angle huh

Especially when the doctor says there are no underlying conditions!

Uhh did those kids die of gunshot wounds, or with them? Some of them may have been obese you know

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Public figure breaks his neck trying to suck his own dick (a very common death on the internet). During the autopsy it is discovered they were also positive for Covid. What do you tell the press, Doctor?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Knight posted:

Public figure breaks his neck trying to suck his own dick (a very common death on the internet). During the autopsy it is discovered they were also positive for Covid. What do you tell the press, Doctor?

this could’ve been prevented if he’d been wearing a mask

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

this could’ve been prevented if he’d been wearing a mask

But it also wouldn't have been fatal if he wasn't overweight

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

https://i.imgur.com/089BjhK.gifv

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lynch_69 posted:

Lotta defensive fat people itt

Spoiler: I too am overweight according to the BMI chart, I accept it and am trying to get thinner by walking an hour every day.

I mean I'm also overweight thanks to covid but its not some BMI truther thing to point out that the person who actually invented it has said it's not terribly useful when applied to small population samples

even in terms of a single flawed number to determine health it's worse than body fat %

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
shot:
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1341061360021610499

chaser:
https://twitter.com/Marmel/status/1344355938543624193

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Epic High Five posted:

I mean I'm also overweight thanks to covid but its not some BMI truther thing to point out that the person who actually invented it has said it's not terribly useful when applied to small population samples

even in terms of a single flawed number to determine health it's worse than body fat %

Right, BMI on its own isn't a determinant of health or even a good determinant of your actual fat composition. Sheer weight tells you nothing about a person's actual fat composition, and it doesn't account for sex differences or ethnicity (since BMI standards were developed basically only with western European men in mind.) It is actually possible to be heavier than someone who has more fat than you merely because you have a higher muscle:fat ratio, because perhaps you chop firewood while the other person drinks Mountain Dew and sits in front of a computer 9 hours a day but you both happen to be tall. Bigger risk factors related to fat are better indicated by where the fat accumulates rather than how much you weigh, at least for people in the average weight range of the population - in men in particular visceral fat is a huge risk factor relative to subcutaneous fat because it starts to choke out your blood vessels, and is generally indicated by the presence of a pot belly. Not all fat is created equal, but it does all weigh the same. BMI is only a very, very general indicator and shouldn't be used as a factor in and of itself but in combination with other personal health factors

That said I'm still not sure what the point of busting out the chart was except for someone to go :actually:, medically speaking as though they have any loving idea

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Heath posted:

of course you would say that, you have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter

Apr 7, 2003

Heath posted:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

lmao, look at this fat gently caress and all the fat fucks calling him healthy

come on fellas, I’m a fat too, trying to do better, I am 100% not trying to catch that poo poo, because my tummy is the perfect place for that poo poo to vacation

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Epic High Five posted:

BMI is a public health thing meant for macro level analysis and breaks down when pointed at just one person. The true test of fitness is as it always has been - pitched and mortal combat

The doctor said they had no preconditions, I think people need to Listen To The Scienctists

Im fat as all hell now, but mortal combat is correct. the cutoff weight for my height when i joined the army was 189 pounds. the state of iowa wouldn't let me wrestle at that weight because I'd be below 7% bodyfat. so i wrestled at and joined the army 26 pounds heavier than the line for "overweight" but had a low bodyfat percentage. Height/weight is a weird way to measure at the micro level, but that's why they took the calipers to wrestlers so the likelihood of them dying was lessened

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

lmao, look at this fat gently caress and all the fat fucks calling him healthy

come on fellas, I’m a fat too, trying to do better, I am 100% not trying to catch that poo poo, because my tummy is the perfect place for that poo poo to vacation

From the pics I'd say he is probably clinically, if not uniquely Americanly, overweight, but his doctor literally said it wasn't a comorbidity in his case so who am I to disagree? The reason being fat makes you more prone is like, HBP and poo poo, so if he was overweight but didnt have any conditions as a result then :shrug:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i am curious, has anyone ever asked a trump supporter how they justify not taking precautions if they're close to an elderly/high risk family member? i can get the idea that if the chuds think they're young and healthy then they personally have no worry about catching covid. but what about the vulnerable people they know? that's been the most baffling question for me since the start of the pandemic.

Apr 7, 2003

I’m just happy the dumbshit republican died, not gonna ruminate too much about what helped deliver the goods

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

i am curious, has anyone ever asked a trump supporter how they justify not taking precautions if they're close to an elderly/high risk family member? i can get the idea that if the chuds think they're young and healthy then they personally have no worry about catching covid. but what about the vulnerable people they know? that's been the most baffling question for me since the start of the pandemic.

I presume it's because "the 'rona isn't real. Why protect grandma from something that doesn't exist?"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I hate sitting back and watch the DUMBEST, most useless people in society, doom society, by rigging the election for Biden and ushering in a Communist World Order. Ironically, these useless retreads would be the first one the reds put onto the firing range because of how useless they are. We are approaching a dystopia half of America is welcoming with open arms because they're literally too stupid to be allowed to breed or vote but can do both anyway. I'd call this whole Communism takeover of the world a Machiavellian master supervillain plan... But it really just involves manipulating enough stupid people into doing some of the work for you. Then, after a few years, they'll be rigging elections for you and having the news ban you for questioning it. But the other half of the people are LETTING them do all this poo poo, unopposed and without stopping them.

Someone on here commented how, for as evil as they are, at least leftists get poo poo done. The right talks about responsibility, but when push comes to shove, acts like a bunch of pussies. That's how we got third wave feminists instead of telling them all to sit down and shut the gently caress up. That's how we got the most mentally weak pussies in society, social justice warriors, going out into the streets and egging on cops and ex military like the Proud Boys. Then years ago, you'd beat the poo poo out of one of these soy boys for even THINKING about pulling some ANTIFA poo poo.

So yeah, I blame the right for not having any balls whatever as much as I blame the left for letting Communists and retreads ruin everything that "liberalism" used to stand for, including free speech and ethics, for those of you too young to know liberalism ten years ago would be called "alt right" nowadays, even though the left just moved so far left, they're not even on the loving screen anymore.

But yeah. At least liberals get poo poo done. Conservatives are too chickenshit to even stand up for the police in 2020 and not let human trash break their poo poo because some dude died. So the conservatives have become pussies, the pussies have Communists, and the Communists have become the new US presidents, and Hong Kong, Taiwan, India, and soon South Korea, are all going to pay the price for it. I'm ready for the loving aliens to wipe us out now. Our maybe we just nuke ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Mr Interweb posted:

“gods will,” actual darwinian views/only the weak die from covid, denying the virus is real at all, denying the numbers are real, “it’s just in the cities,” are some of the responses I’ve gotten from my family