Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Died from a surfeit of lampreys.

e: A one sixty-nine, ah ah ah nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AXPnH0C9UA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

:golfclap:

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Turnover is not profit.

It could be that there is not much left over each year after expenses.

Just checked the companies accounts, looks like they made a profit of £226,000 last year, so not a small amount.

They have £1.4mil cash in hand, but creditors amount over debtors is around 1 million of that, so the business is okay, but will suffer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

man I just had a depressing call with my Mum - she's a geriatric palliative care nurse and all her patients are dying.

I mean, she's palliative care so that's expected, but everything is so stretched right now that they're dying a hell of a lot faster as there's no hospital beds or facilities available.

At least she's vaccinated herself now.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

XMNN posted:

:qq: this man who actively campaigned for something for years has now been brutally self owned by the economic disaster he helped bring about :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx3sKPoeOis

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

This country has broken my brain so badly I'm now wondering if the count is anti-semitic.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tsietisin posted:

Turnover is not profit.

It could be that there is not much left over each year after expenses.

Just checked the companies accounts, looks like they made a profit of £226,000 last year, so not a small amount.

They have £1.4mil cash in hand, but creditors amount over debtors is around 1 million of that, so the business is okay, but will suffer.

My parents business had turnover around that on the busy years but they never actually made much money out of it until the day they sold the place. Eel man didn't realise how sweet he had it.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

man I just had a depressing call with my Mum - she's a geriatric palliative care nurse and all her patients are dying.

I mean, she's palliative care so that's expected, but everything is so stretched right now that they're dying a hell of a lot faster as there's no hospital beds or facilities available.

At least she's vaccinated herself now.

Oh that's grim. I hope the patients can still be made as comfortable as possible.

Looks like Hancock just teased some sort of schools announcement for later, probably going to be that opening will be delayed a week knowing this hell country (then delayed another week, and another... so teachers have to keep changing their lesson plans).

jacksbrat fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 30, 2020

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

jacksbrat posted:

Oh that's grim. I hope the patients can still be made as comfortable as possible.

Looks like Hancock just teased some sort of schools announcement for later, probably going to be that opening will be delayed a week knowing this he'll country (then delayed another week, and another... so teachers have to keep changing their lesson plans).

We've had a fairly effective rumour mill here is South Wales (that warned of the half term lockdown), and the rumour is lockdowns until the 18th Jan for starters.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jacksbrat posted:

Yeah - also I guess it's just going to be the kind of deaths that aren't going to be reported. Sure a lot of these people were going to die within the next year covid or no covid but there's this tension around that if you take a turn for the worse now there's no coming back from it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

In the phase 3 trial not everyone got the second dose 28 days after, there were some people with longer gap.

Thank you for that. Went and skimmed it...
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext#seccestitle200

quote:

The timing of priming and booster vaccine admin- istration varied between studies. As protocol amendments to add a booster dose took place when the trials were underway, and owing to the time taken to manufacture and release a new batch of vaccine, doses could not be administered at a 4-week interval. 1459 (53·2%) of 2741 participants in COV002 in the LD/SD group received a second dose at least 12 weeks after the first (median 84 days, IQR 77—91) and only 22 (0·8%) received a second dose within 8 weeks of the first. The median interval between doses for the SD/SD group in COV002 was 69 days (50–86). Conversely, the majority of participants in COV003 in the SD/SD group (2493 [61·0%] of 4088) received a second dose within 6 weeks of the first (median 36 days, 32–58; appendix 1 p 11).

quote:

Exploratory subgroup analyses included at the request of reviewers and editors also showed no significant difference in efficacy estimates when comparing those with a short time window between doses (<6 weeks) and those with longer (≥6 weeks), although further detailed exploration of the timing of doses might be warranted.

That makes it seem less of a ridiculous idea.

My main concern then just becomes 'What do you mean I need a mask? I've had a vaccine!'

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OzyMandrill posted:

We've had a fairly effective rumour mill here is South Wales (that warned of the half term lockdown), and the rumour is lockdowns until the 18th Jan for starters.

It was supposed to be until then anyway, but they brought forward the start by a week.
If they're not going to do a proper lockdown, then I think it would be better if they just announced that there would be a 2 weeks lockdown every half term / school holiday for 2021 (or until the virus shows definite signs of disappearing or becoming much weaker). Then at least people could plan.

Sad Panda posted:

Thank you for that. Went and skimmed it...
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext#seccestitle200

That makes it seem less of a ridiculous idea.

My main concern then just becomes 'What do you mean I need a mask? I've had a vaccine!'

Also, it's not yet known whether vaccinated people can still pass the virus on (I would think they can but I don't know) - I've already had 'shock' reactions to a comment I made on that on FB. People are assuming that once they've had the vaccine, they won't be able to pass the virus on and don't need to wear masks or do any social distancing etc.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 30, 2020

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

jacksbrat posted:

Looks like Hancock just teased some sort of schools announcement for later, probably going to be that opening will be delayed a week knowing this he'll country (then delayed another week, and another... so teachers have to keep changing their lesson plans).

TES article yesterday lunch https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-new-school-opening-delay-agreed-ministers said everything just gets pushed back a week.

Dec 15th plan was...
Y11/Y13 in school Jan 4th
The rest have online classes
Everyone in Jan 11th

New plan is...
Y11/Y13 online classes next week
The rest start online Jan 11th (extra week of holiday)
Everyone in Jan 18th.

Not sure if they'd let students sitting exams in the January window come in for those exams, as some vocational courses have exams. Thankfully for my course it's not until Feb 4th. However, there are some exams next week.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 30, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sad Panda posted:

TES article yesterday lunch https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-new-school-opening-delay-agreed-ministers said everything just gets pushed back a week.

Dec 15th plan was...
Everyone in Jan 11th

New plan is...
Everyone in Jan 18th.

This is only secondary schools though. Primary kids and nurseries still get to go back on time and lick each others' eyeballs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sad Panda posted:

Dec 15th plan was...
Everyone in Jan 11th

New plan is...
Everyone in Jan 18th.

I wonder if this will end up with England cancelling the exams this year as Wales have done? (Except the welsh cancellations only apply to the WJEC exam board, and kids studying for Edexcel or AQA etc are still going to have to do exams unless they end up cancelled too. I think the reporting on this has been bad, the impression given is that no kids in Wales will be sitting exams traditional style but many do English exam board exams.)

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Miftan posted:

This is only secondary schools though. Primary kids and nurseries still get to go back on time and lick each others' eyeballs.

Indeed. Primary school students can't stay at home alone don't spread germs as easily as secondary school students.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Any ideas if/when the school closures would be announced?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We are keeping my son home for a week despite school supposedly going back on the 4th in order to allow for any infections picked up over Xmas to manifest or pass. He’s vulnerable so the head is very understanding. Strictly speaking we are breaking the law but gently caress that.

fluppet posted:

On past form, at 18:34 on Jan 3rd.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

therattle posted:

We are keeping my son home for a week despite school supposedly going back on the 4th in order to allow for any infections picked up over Xmas to manifest or pass. He’s vulnerable so the head is very understanding. Strictly speaking we are breaking the law but gently caress that.

On past form, at 18:34 on Jan 3rd.

I'm glad your head is understanding, heard some real horror stories about heads demanding kids come in no matter what.

During the first lockdown one head near us was making teachers come into school for staff meetings and demanding they make in person visits to kids houses to check they were doing work.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

fluppet posted:

Gavin is apparently making a statement around 4pm.

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1344223129263099906

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

therattle posted:

Yeah my son's going back, but he's licked enough faces to build up a pretty good immune system, people should be given the choice to home school, but everyone in our house is looking forward to school reopening.
It's the biggest risk we take, but we're only risking ourselves, as all the olds live 2+ hours away, and the wife and I work in medical research, and wear full PPE all day, and we and everyone in the building are trained to use it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Interesting Al-Jazeera article on Corbyn and the English Left 2015-19:

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2020/12/29/no-future-the-english-left-in-retrospect

quote:

Any way forward would have to be based on a convincing explanation of why Labour under Corbyn, despite its major gains in 2015, enjoyed only incremental success in Scotland. It would have to explain why Corbyn’s leadership dithered so badly on Brexit that in the 2019 general election, Labour’s actual policy was not announced until weeks into the campaign. It would have to explain why both the leadership and the grassroots were paralysed in the face of often nakedly cynical, grotesquely distorted claims of pervasive antisemitism in the Labour Party. It would have to explain why a leadership that was radical in many ways, was also profoundly cautious on issues like policing, immigration, nuclear weapons and foreign policy orientation – even after his political successes, Corbyn was not* allowed to secure control of the party apparatuses.

These problems all seem to be related. The basic conceit of the Left appeared to be that it could win by concentrating on “bread and butter” issues like austerity and public services. Whenever it was forced off this agenda, its perplexity was obvious. Yet the source of Corbyn’s success had been, not just a reaction against austerity, but a protest against the diminished state of British democracy.

* Bold is my addition, looks like a typo in the article.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Interesting Al-Jazeera article on Corbyn and the English Left 2015-19:

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2020/12/29/no-future-the-english-left-in-retrospect

* Bold is my addition, looks like a typo in the article.

Corbyn did make in-roads in Scotland.
At least in part based on SNP turnout being down compared to 2015 and 2019.
It didn't all translate into seats gained, but there were definite in-roads.
The issue in 2019 was SNP turnout went sky high again, and because in a great many seats, the SNP were realistically the best way to stop the Tories from taking the seat, so some number of ostensibly pro corbyn folk would have voted SNP to avoid Tory gains.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Labour won't make significant in-roads in Scotland as long as ScotLab is led by the thickest people imaginable

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Indeed. Primary school students can't stay at home alone don't spread germs as easily as secondary school students.

Honestly, the amount of infection at primary schools is mind boggling. Doesn't help that the rules for social distancing are impossible to follow and it feels like a lot of people have given up on them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really think scotland is electorally relevant. Labour aren't going to win it back and the minute a labour government gets into power it is either going to have to grant a referendum, which will return a result for independence, or they are going to have to come up with an excuse why not, which will only galvanize the SNP supporters.

Lose the lib dems, gain the SNP.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 30, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/Freedom_Paper/status/1344250685068632066?s=20

Sad bit of news from France, a good comrade & historian of the libertarian parts of the Russian Revolution (& their crushing by the Red Army) has died. Highly recommend Anarchy's Cossack if you've an interest in the Makhnovischna.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Scottish independence any time soon would make the NI position extra ludicrous

I don't even know what NI is anymore. The DUP spent two and a half years strongarming the place into constitutional purgatory :ghost:. I stopped really caring a while ago so w/e

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Miftan posted:

Honestly, the amount of infection at primary schools is mind boggling. Doesn't help that the rules for social distancing are impossible to follow and it feels like a lot of people have given up on them.

The rules like to talk about maintaining distance between teachers and pupils. I recently realised that is actually done at secondary, as long as you parse the sentence as distance between teachers AND pupils. I generally stand away from the pupils and other teachers. Pupils however have next to no distance between themselves and it would be completely impossible. Primary schools it's obviously harder to distance yourself from the pupils as a teacher.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I don't really foresee Labour recovering in Scotland until independence is a settled matter, one way or another. Ultimately pro-independence sentiment seems to be in the solid majority on the left and centre of Scottish politics, and if Labour opposes that they're not going to recapture their old voters or new voters as they age into adulthood. If labour ignores the issue they're irrelevant on the issue that dominates the political landscape. And if Labour switches to being in favour, why vote for them over the SNP or the Greens?

It's pretty much lose/lose/lose for them, just like Brexit, more or less.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

Scottish independence any time soon would make the NI position extra ludicrous

I don't even know what NI is anymore. The DUP spent two and a half years strongarming the place into constitutional purgatory :ghost:. I stopped really caring a while ago so w/e

I mean according to the historical records it'll be part of the Republic in 4 years so...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think if Labour could demonstrate that the Scottish people would be materially better off with a Labour government, they would pick up votes. You wouldn't even need to win any seats as long as ground was also made in England/Wales - the SNP would find it hard to justify not going into a coalition with Labour if the alternative was allowing another Tory government.

Yeah, Sturgeon/whoever would want to make a Referendum a requirement of any coalition, but in that hypothetical scenario, I can see a Labour leader having a strong enough hand to stare them down. After all, if the SNP allow the Tories another 5 years to gently caress the country up that would piss off a lot of Scottish people. If a coalition was needed for a second term, that's the point at which I could see the SNP holding out for a Referendum on independence.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1343658861337735172

Jesus christ does this guy suck. I don't understand how he's been able to tag along with Novara all this time - he's far to the right of all their other contributors, and from what I've heard on their podcasts, thick as poo poo. Is he the podcasting equivalent of the guy who's in the band because their dad bought all their equipment?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

I think if Labour could demonstrate that the Scottish people would be materially better off with a Labour government, they would pick up votes. You wouldn't even need to win any seats as long as ground was also made in England/Wales - the SNP would find it hard to justify not going into a coalition with Labour if the alternative was allowing another Tory government.

Yeah, Sturgeon/whoever would want to make a Referendum a requirement of any coalition, but in that hypothetical scenario, I can see a Labour leader having a strong enough hand to stare them down. After all, if the SNP allow the Tories another 5 years to gently caress the country up that would piss off a lot of Scottish people. If a coalition was needed for a second term, that's the point at which I could see the SNP holding out for a Referendum on independence.

Votes, perhaps, but without seats what is the point? You are still contingent on the SNP cooperating either way.

The platform on offer last election would materially make people better off and the majority of scottish voters didn't give a poo poo.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

kingturnip posted:

If there's a situation where a Labour/SNP coalition can form a government, then the alternative to the coalition is not particularly likely to be another Tory government at least within that parliament, since any government has to be able to pass confidence motions. The only way to get that in a situation where Labour+SNP makes a majority is if either Labour or the SNP votes for (or abstains) from a confidence motion. So the question then becomes "who would be more likely to whip their MPs to abstain from a confidence motion in a tory government, Kier Starmer or Ian Blackford". If the answer to that question is "Kier Starmer", blame isn't going to fall on the SNP.

Now of course a breakdown in Labour/SNP talks could lead to another election right after the first if nobody can get the house's confidence, which could lead to a Tory win, but in that situation I really don't see blame falling on the SNP either. Labour are battling a perception that Westminster doesn't care what Scotland wants, and choosing to collapse the government rather than grant a referendum is going to be taken as proof of that fact.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

The rules like to talk about maintaining distance between teachers and pupils. I recently realised that is actually done at secondary, as long as you parse the sentence as distance between teachers AND pupils. I generally stand away from the pupils and other teachers. Pupils however have next to no distance between themselves and it would be completely impossible. Primary schools it's obviously harder to distance yourself from the pupils as a teacher.

Teachers in schools don't distance as much as they should, in my experience. Students don't do it at all, and the amount of social distancing possible should've kept primary schools closed in my opinion. They're literally coughing on each other all day and official guidelines say they don't need a mask. It doesn't help that a lot of parents aren't taking it seriously or don't have the ability to keep kids home so will bring kids with a cough/temperature into school..

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Grey Hunter posted:

It's the biggest risk we take, but we're only risking ourselves, as all the olds live 2+ hours away

You are actually increasing the risk of a number of teachers, you know, not to mention other parents etc. I understand wanting to send children back and am not judging, I just don't like the way risks to teachers are ignored.

(I have four teachers in the family: one has had Covid, two currently have Covid, one is in isolation after contact with Covid.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Oh dear me posted:

You are actually increasing the risk of a number of teachers, you know, not to mention other parents etc. I understand wanting to send children back and am not judging, I just don't like the way risks to teachers are ignored.

(I have four teachers in the family: one has had Covid, two currently have Covid, one is in isolation after contact with Covid.)

Yeah, sorry, I phrased that badly - I meant we're not exposing anyone we know outside of the school system, which is a sucky situation to be in. Even if the teachers were being properly protected, there is no way to make kids (esp primary kids) socially distance, as they still have that feeling of immortality.

I fully appreciate the risk his teachers are taking!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Drone_Fragger posted:

Also the IRA got a ton of help out of WW1 because of that - lots of Irish troops came home and got basically told to get hosed by the brits for being in the army And now unemployed and on the dole and hence ended up taking up arms in the IRA In the 1918-22 revolution.

Not just for that reason. A lot of Irish people (naively) believed that by assisting the UK in World War 1, we would be rewarded with an increase in rights afterwards*.
"England's Difficulty is Ireland's Opportunity" and all that.

https://www.rte.ie/centuryireland/index.php/articles/the-first-world-war-1916

As per usual, we were shafted on this. So the next time a similar offer came up, the Irish Government turned it down.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/britain-offered-unity-if-ireland-entered-war-1.281078?mode=amp

* = We weren't alone in that line of thinking. African American troops in the US were promised similar things. And I have no doubt other people in the world have very similar stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Did we Brexit our way back to 1886 yet? :britain: