Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Yamahas are legit good for what you say you want. Order it and don’t look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm looking for a good 5.2 or 7.2 (is that the correct numbering for atmos?) receiver with eARC support for the new TV. I currently have a 5 piece Jamo speaker set that's been doing me good, just looking to expand current setup over my current Denon AVR 1613. Any good recommendations here? I'm not well researched in this department.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Guys, I'm back with a basic, dumb question.

Recently moved into an apartment and wanted to get a decent sounder. I don't need total submersion ultra hi-fi type audio quality, but I'd like something nice. I read some reviews for "apartment sounders" and the Yamaha YAS-108 was rated as the best on a few, but with a lot of these tech review sites, the top pick is usually just "whichever company paid to have this rating article made" so I'm anxious about getting it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good soundbar? Worth noting we only plan on having the soundbar, not any other speakers or subwoofers, at least for the TV itself.

Don't get a soundbar, get a stereo receiver + 2 speakers and a sub, you will be much happier.

If you insist on getting a soundbar, that Yamaha one is probably fine though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

couldcareless posted:

I'm looking for a good 5.2 or 7.2 (is that the correct numbering for atmos?) receiver with eARC support for the new TV. I currently have a 5 piece Jamo speaker set that's been doing me good, just looking to expand current setup over my current Denon AVR 1613. Any good recommendations here? I'm not well researched in this department.

Budget? Assuming that Jamo set is in the $400-$900 range, I'd look at the brand new Yamahas that were just released in that price range. Then look at Denon, NAD, and Marantz (but Yamaha seems to be hitting it out of the park everywhere these days)

There should be a thread stickie in the OP that says: "have you looked at Yamaha, Denon, NAD, and Marantz yet?"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

couldcareless posted:

The Atmos notation is usually another dot, so 5.1.2 would be 5 main, one sub and 2 Atmos "presence" speakers. Most current affordable receivers can do 7.1 or 5.1.2. For 5.1.4 you're looking at an expensive receiver or an external amp. That said Yamaha or Denon are your current options [Marantz is a Denon sub-brand they have identical hardware apart from the "porthole" display and some "custom audio tuning" nobody can definitively say actually exists or not]

Ok Comboomer posted:

There should be a thread stickie in the OP that says: "have you looked at Yamaha, Denon, NAD, and Marantz yet?"
Part of me has a new thread OP written in my brain, the other doesn't want to feel like I'd have to maintain it or answer random PM questions. I keep wondering if Sony or Onkyo are going to bother ever releasing new receivers. Sony did one update to their cheapest surround model and everything else is 2017 vintage. Onkyo is almost out of business so I don't have high hopes there despite really liking my current receiver.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The new ~$600 Yamaha I saw recently can do 7.2.2, I believe, or maybe 5.2.2, as well as Zone 2 and pre-out goodies.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Alright, so I scooped up a Yamaha 209 since it was $20 more dollars in "excellent" condition from BestBuy over a new 108 at $200.

However, as always, I have questions. The soundbar connects to my TV via HDMI-ARC, but then has another single HDMI port for another device, so Apple TV would naturally take this spot in my case. However, I have a few other consoles over in that setup that I would normally plug into one of the four ports on the TV. Should I not do this anymore and get an HDMI switcher and plug them directly into the soundbar?

Also, the included subwoofer it comes with has the actual grill (I think it's called that) facing the right side. My small living room space goes into the kitchen area to the right and ends (wall) to the left. Knowing this, should I place the subwoofer to the left of the setup?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Plug all of your devices into the TV. Plug an HDMI cable from the TV’s ARC port into the ARC port on the sound bar. Enable ARC on the TV and it will automatically forward the sound from all of the inputs to the sound bar.

You can do a subwoofer crawl to find the best spot for it, but to the left will help reinforce the sub’s output, which will be nice for a smaller system like this.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Plug all of your devices into the TV. Plug an HDMI cable from the TV’s ARC port into the ARC port on the sound bar. Enable ARC on the TV and it will automatically forward the sound from all of the inputs to the sound bar.

You can do a subwoofer crawl to find the best spot for it, but to the left will help reinforce the sub’s output, which will be nice for a smaller system like this.

Perfect, many thanks

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

edit: I'm a big dumb stupid idiot who forgot about airplay ignore me

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 25, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When you stream Apple music, you are telling the sonos to connect to the Apple servers instead of your phone. That way, you can turn your phone off or take a call or whatever. You could just use bluetooth to do what you want, but the future is smart homes and not having an actual internet connection is going to become more and more of a problem.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I currently have all my sources going into my TV, then an optical cable going into my ancient Kenwood 5.1 receiver from it. It worked great until the receiver just went out.

I don't understand all this new Arc/eArc stuff. How is that better then just using an optical like I have been doing?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Your optical cable has a limited bitrate and can only send uncompressed audio in stereo LPCM.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ufarn posted:

Your optical cable has a limited bitrate and can only send uncompressed audio in stereo LPCM.

It can also pass through DTS and Dolby Digital, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Wibla posted:

It can also pass through DTS and Dolby Digital, though.
Yes, that was a very brief sentence I wrote with too much being implicit. Basically I meant that's the only way to send uncompressed audio - otherwise you can use DTS and DD as compressed 5.1, with DTS having slightly better bitrate iirc.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

ufarn posted:

Yes, that was a very brief sentence I wrote with too much being implicit. Basically I meant that's the only way to send uncompressed audio - otherwise you can use DTS and DD as compressed 5.1, with DTS having slightly better bitrate iirc.

so DTS sounds better over arc HDMI then optical?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
ARC also allows you to control several devices without a separate universal remote – I hadn’t used it before, but it’s quite handy and has now effectively replaced our Logitech Harmony.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I got the Yamaha MusicCast 20 for Christmas, fulfilling my need for an Airplay speaker that can sit in my office, which I can send audio to from my Mac, phone or iPad at will.

I'm quite happy with the audio quality, for the size, but there's a very strange thing happening - I was playing Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks, mono mix from Apple music, and suddenly jumped because the "sha la la" was just...missing. Or barely audible, like it had been removed. Bass, drums, all fine, just no vocals. Same track on my laptop speakers is fine.

A random copy of the song from my iTunes library, from "The best 60s album in the world", sounds correct through the Yamaha. What weirdness is
occurring with this speaker?

E: I could live without the sha la las, I'm just wondering what's getting lost here. This is the track in question, around 0:53 https://music.apple.com/gb/album/waterloo-sunset-mono-mix/1143692008?i=1143692063

Also side note, all of the above is with the EQ out, but I notice that Apple Music bypasses the EQ for Airplay 2, which is mildly annoying.

E2: solved the EQ problem by installing AirFoil. Makes such a difference to be able to tweak it

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 27, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Grey posted:

DTS is DTS and will sound identical.

HDMI also supports DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, which use lossless compression instead of the lossy compression used by standard DTS and Dolby Digital.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

ARC also allows you to control several devices without a separate universal remote – I hadn’t used it before, but it’s quite handy and has now effectively replaced our Logitech Harmony.

You're talking about HDMI CEC, which is a different thing than ARC :)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Grey posted:

DTS, the specific format, is the same. ARC also means your sound has to travel through your TV via HDMI passthrough which can actually introduce audio latency, so if you're sending the same signal, you might as well have it be directly from output to audio system - unless the output device has a dedicated latency calibration feature.

Audio latency is still what I'd almost call an unsolved issue, and if you add an AVR to the mix, you can end up with input latency because the video output is delayed to match the audio, which obviously sucks for videogames.

Also make sure your audio system is accepting the right signal, because not doing that can introduce additional issues of compression/latency, but Auto should work perfectly fine because a signal identifier is always sent with the audio that your system will pick up on. At least for DD+DTS+LPCM, I don't know how it works for later technologies.

Optical is bad, because its limited bitrate means you can only use 10yo technologies like compressed DD and DTS as well as stereo-only uncompressed LPCM, but it has the ironic advantage of not going through your TV which could introduce more latency. But if you connect your optical cable to your TV instead of directly to each audio device, then you probably(?) still get the same HDMI latency with all the concessions of optical.

Right now, I have an HDMI audio extractor for my Apple TV that sends stereo LPCM over optical to an optical switch, since Netflix don't seem to do DD5.1 on their own shows anymore, and the latency calibrator seems broken. I then have a second optical cable go from my PS4 that sends DTS 5.1 to the same switch.

If or when I get a PS5, I'll have to use another HDMI audio extractor, or just put my optical switch before the extractor instead of after so all signals can go through it.

If it sounds like a total mess, it's because it is. Having to detect audio desync yourself and compare outputs loving sucks.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 27, 2020

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

KozmoNaut posted:

You're talking about HDMI CEC, which is a different thing than ARC :)

Oh balls, that’s what I get for trying to sound smart.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
A used Denon X4400H popped off on marketplace, for $450 cad (about $350 usd)

Looks like a good deal to me (it is right?) but I'm mostly wondering about earc, which the X4400h is supposed to have after a firmware upgrade.

Now, I don't have a TV with earc yet, but I do plan to get one in the near future with HDMI 2.1 for VRR support, to use with a PC.

The X4400h is HMDI 2.0 only, but with earc, in theory, I should still get multichannel audio if i plug in the PC directly to the TV and use the earc port back to the receiver.

Would that work, or should I just wait and get a proper HDMI 2.1 receiver along with the new TV?

edit: lol, nevermind, already sold.

pofcorn fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 27, 2020

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

ufarn posted:

If or when I get a PS5, I'll have to use another HDMI audio extractor, or just put my optical switch before the extractor instead of after so all signals can go through it.

If it sounds like a total mess, it's because it is. Having to detect audio desync yourself and compare outputs loving sucks.

Can you post what you'd buy?

My LG C9 doesnt seen to pass DTS on to my old Logitech z-5500s and I'm trying to figure out what to do without buying an expensive rear end receiver.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

Can you post what you'd buy?

My LG C9 doesnt seen to pass DTS on to my old Logitech z-5500s and I'm trying to figure out what to do without buying an expensive rear end receiver.
Turning off TV HDMI auto-detection seems to work for some. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to pass the signal. It's also possible you're watching content that simply doesn't have DTS/DD like newer Netflix shows.

Someone also suggested a firmware update, if that's an option.

In the case of C9, you run into an issue of HDMI 2.1 which likely isn't supported by audio extractors, HDMI switches etc, because they use 2.0. I have an ancient TV and setup, so I can comfortably just use an extractor without worrying about that until I upgrade.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

pofcorn posted:

A used Denon X4400H popped off on marketplace, for $450 cad (about $350 usd)

Looks like a good deal to me (it is right?) but I'm mostly wondering about earc, which the X4400h is supposed to have after a firmware upgrade.

Now, I don't have a TV with earc yet, but I do plan to get one in the near future with HDMI 2.1 for VRR support, to use with a PC.

The X4400h is HMDI 2.0 only, but with earc, in theory, I should still get multichannel audio if i plug in the PC directly to the TV and use the earc port back to the receiver.

Would that work, or should I just wait and get a proper HDMI 2.1 receiver along with the new TV?

edit: lol, nevermind, already sold.

Yeah it’s just limited to the lossy multichannel modes I think. I got that model for more American dollars than that last year on clearance and it’s been great, you missed out. Well, assuming it wasn’t broken or something.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

ufarn posted:

Turning off TV HDMI auto-detection seems to work for some. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to pass the signal. It's also possible you're watching content that simply doesn't have DTS/DD like newer Netflix shows.

Someone also suggested a firmware update, if that's an option.

In the case of C9, you run into an issue of HDMI 2.1 which likely isn't supported by audio extractors, HDMI switches etc, because they use 2.0. I have an ancient TV and setup, so I can comfortably just use an extractor without worrying about that until I upgrade.

Thanks I'll try this. Ps5 doesn't have optical output so I'll try that hdmi setting

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I figured it out. My tv wasn't set to pass through. Changed it to that and now my z-5500s can do either Dolby or DTS! Dolby is better right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DTS has a higher bitrate, but it's not the same compression format, so not a 1:1 comparison.

Still, go for DTS.

E: it also depends on which tier of each format you're getting.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ok Comboomer posted:

Budget? Assuming that Jamo set is in the $400-$900 range, I'd look at the brand new Yamahas that were just released in that price range. Then look at Denon, NAD, and Marantz (but Yamaha seems to be hitting it out of the park everywhere these days)

Any particular Yamaha models that seem to be go-tos in that range? I'm getting tired of waiting for 2020 Denons to show up on accessories4less.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Any particular Yamaha models that seem to be go-tos in that range? I'm getting tired of waiting for 2020 Denons to show up on accessories4less.

Yamaha has 2 series, the V series and A [Aventage] series, and the bottom model in the A series is usually identical to the top model in the V, all that said just get the one with the features you need. The 2020 Aventage receivers aren't out yet. If you have Costco they have the TSR-700 which is a re-badged V6A.

There's also good deals on the older 80 series if you don't need the new HDMI features [none of which are currently present on the 2020 models, just "future update"].

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

Yamaha has 2 series, the V series and A [Aventage] series, and the bottom model in the A series is usually identical to the top model in the V, all that said just get the one with the features you need. The 2020 Aventage receivers aren't out yet. If you have Costco they have the TSR-700 which is a re-badged V6A.

There's also good deals on the older 80 series if you don't need the new HDMI features [none of which are currently present on the 2020 models, just "future update"].

Oh wow, it looks like the TSR-700 is only $330, which seems like a steal for the feature set (including 3 HDMI 2.1 inputs, FWIW). Am I missing something with these compared to the Denons? Seems like you're getting the V6A for the price of the V4A.

edit: looks like it has some lukewarm opinions https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/yamaha-rx-v6a-7-2-channel-4k-8k-dolby-av-receiver-review.17204/

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 28, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Amir is great for DACs and digital stuff but for some reason I don’t really like the way he reviews integrated amps and receivers. Nothing even in the orange “kinda lovely” category is under a grand and if a receiver really had a 71dB noise/distortion floor it would be audibly bad.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've dreaded making this post since for years and years and YEARS I could honestly just never...wrap my head around the point of a/v receivers, why they are so expensive, or what makes a good receiver a good receiver. Embarrassing since I consider myself pretty good with technology, but I've always had this blindspot for receivers for some reason and always get annoyed with them when I deal with them at others' homes.

Backstory: throughout my teens and adulthood I just always used regular rear end stereo systems, aux-in headphone jack with a 2.1 setup from my TV and that was always good enough for me. Unfortunately the badass one with the absolute unit of a sub died a couple years ago and I hastily purchased a new (budget) one back when I wasn't making much money just to have SOMETHING and always found the sound and sub to be very much less than stellar...so fast forward to now, I got a great new job, I'm making decent money, and I was fortunate enough to get myself a all of the hot consoles this winter (PS5, XSX and 3080 - Not bragging, this is critical for the next part + I'm sure most goons here don't care or got one already).

So I sit here now with this unsatisfactory stereo equipment feeling like it's time to upgrade and actually invest in some starter-level but good sound equipment, but I don't have the space (or interest tbh) for a 7.1 or even a 5.1 right now and a good 3.1 setup with a receiver is exactly what I'm looking for right now (that I could repurpose for 5.1 later when I get move somewhere with more space). Unfortunately I am a complete diva who is now completely obsessed with HDMI 2.1 and the beauty of 4k@120hz. Like, absolutely the biggest game changer I've seen visually in my entire life since I also got an LG C9 TV over the summer to enjoy it all on.

So what I currently have in mind is getting a budget level ($350~) 5.1 receiver, plugging my devices into my TV and using my TV's optical out to send everything to the receiver. I don't want to use HDMI with the receiver since, as stated above, HDMI 2.1 4k/120hz is super important to me and all this stuff is so new, I imagine getting an HDMI 2.1 ready 8k receiver would blow up the price by a factor of 10, so my dilemma and question I have for the thread is, as a complete beginner, would I be okay plugging all of my HDMI 2.1 devices into my (HDMI 2.1-capable) TV and having the TV's optical-out go through the receiver and to my speakers?

This sounds like it should be ideal for me and my needs on paper, but I haven't been able to come up with any compelling reasons to try to stick with HDMI, as I would probably be stuck at 4k@60 unless I shell out thousands of dollars on an HDMI 2.1 ready receiver. Sorry that this post probably comes off incredibly stupid and ignorant but i seek to enrich my mind :eng99:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 30, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Like half your post is apologizing ahead of time for the question you really want to ask. You don't need to do that.

A lot of recent of receivers are having problems with HDMI 2.1 on XSX, so I'd avoid them regardless of price.
https://www.audioholics.com/news/bug-in-hdmi-2.1-chipsets

That being said, HDMI 2.1 / 8K compatible receivers aren't really that much more expensive than any other receiver. Yamaha has some in the 400-600 range. No idea if they still have the issue or if it's been fixed, but someone else here probably knows.

You probably want to avoid optical though - optical doesn't support the latest codecs and only handles up to 5 channels of compressed audio. eARC from your TV is the way to go, and is going to support everything. Basically, you go HDMI from your devices to your TV, then HDMI back to your receiver for the audio.
https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

Now as for which one to get, that is going to depend on what features you are looking for - number of channels, support for multiple zones, music streaming/network support, whether it has room correction and, if it does, how sophisticated it is. The speakers you're going to pair with it are important, too. Most speakers aren't going to need a really powerful amplification stage, but some might.

What is your budget for speakers and/or what speakers do you already have?

Accessories 4 Less is a good place to get a feel for prices:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

At your budget, you don't have a ton of options, unfortunately. COVID really did a number on the market and prices have gone up a lot recently. Denon 650H is pretty solid and is right where you're looking. Note that a lot of these are cheaper because they're refurbished, but they should still be in great condition and I've never had a problem ordering from them.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 30, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A couple things about receivers:

In addition to the 2.1 quirks in 2020 models, the spec is very much more optimized towards home theater over PC use. I would expect to have to directly connect your computer to the TV no matter what.

In the long run your speakers and sub will make a much bigger difference in sound than your receiver and should be where the bulk of your budget goes. I’d think a basic model with eARC is a better place to start but of course this is only practical if your TV has enough full bandwidth inputs.

If Microsoft updates the series X to allow for 4:2:0 4K HDR both consoles should work with existing receivers with only a minimal compromise in quality.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
A bit of a rambling, stream-of-consciousness response:

<$350 is not a lot for a receiver, and AV receivers get churned through super fast. So a $350 receiver today is gonna be replaced by like two or three generations of successors before you decide to add surrounds to it. Budget AV receivers are arguably going to see the biggest changes/be subject to trickle-down features, so it really makes no sense to go with one now if two years from now you’ll want HDMI 2.4 or whatever.

For $350, I’d look at getting the best 2.0 or 2.1 stereo setup possible and only buying a surround AV receiver when you’re actually going to do surround. I wouldn’t bother with 3.1 at all, you get more mileage from nice R/L speakers than you do from any center channel.

With your budget I’d consider used first of all. Otherwise, there are some decent new Yamaha and Sony amps in the $100-$250 range that I’d recommend. If the receiver doesn’t have optical in, you might need to add something like a separate optical-to-RCA DAC to get good stereo sound out of the TV. These are cheap and it’s fine. Don’t worry. Hell, you could even get one of those hot new tiny SMSL class D amp-dacs with Bluetooth and poo poo for like $125. Add a $200 pair of speakers...or a $125 pair and a $100 sub...and you’ve got a stew.

What size speakers were you hoping for? Again, used will be your best bet in many cases, and you can probably find a well performing set for as little as $0 if you have the right connections. Otherwise, there are small inexpensive bookshelf speakers starting below $100/pair but they definitely won’t be lookers. Having $150-$500 available for speakers would open you up to a massive marketplace of possibilities, in various sizes, finishes, and configurations.

If you could get your total budget up to $500 or $600 you could squeeze together a solid amp/receiver, speakers, and budget sub.

Also- If you can find the 5.0 Jamo speaker set for ~$200 (it occasionally shows up for that price) then I suppose you could do 5.1 for under $500 right now. Maybe just put the surrounds in storage briefly. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: I was curious and I looked and it’s in stock- Jamo Series S, with the 803 bookshelves as fronts, $229 for probably the best 5.0 set you’ll find under $450.

Get those speakers (and you can expand to atmos with the optional hat modules that go on the fronts, down the road if you want) and you’ve got $120 left in your budget. Not really enough for a receiver. If you can budget another $150-250 we could probably get you into a complete 5.1 setup today, that would be better than what you were probably gonna cobble together for yourself let’s be honest.

Edit 2:

Let’s say you do $230 for speakers.

Probably $270-$300 for an entry level receiver.

That’s already $500. Polk PSW10 as the barest minimum sub for another $130. All of this is shopping online. $630 minimum but you’re all-in.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 30, 2020

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Counterpoint - if your main concern is gaming and not home theatre just get the best wireless headphones you can. Due to the repetitive nature of sound in gaming it is far more annoying to anyone nearby than music or movies (gunfire in particular). So unless you live in a cabin in the woods, don't be a dick and just get some headphones.

As for the question - if you look at any of the last ten pages you will see that the answer to this question is eARC as others have said.

Mods please add "just use eARC" instead of read this...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

One thing to note is your sound system is in all liklihood going to outlast the consoles and the TV so why skimp? I still have a set of 25yr old floorstanders that I like the sound of.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One thing to note is your sound system is in all liklihood going to outlast the consoles and the TV so why skimp? I still have a set of 25yr old floorstanders that I like the sound of.

I gave my mother a pair of 25 year old floorstanders and a Pioneer amp (without HDMI :v: ) a few years ago. I like the sound of those floorstanders better than the new pair I bought :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The last handful of replies have been interesting to read, and good timing for me since I have been considering adding a center channel to my current 2.1 setup

Ok Comboomer posted:

For $350, I’d look at getting the best 2.0 or 2.1 stereo setup possible and only buying a surround AV receiver when you’re actually going to do surround. I wouldn’t bother with 3.1 at all, you get more mileage from nice R/L speakers than you do from any center channel.

My current receiver is a very old Yamah HTR-5730. It powers a pair of Energy CB-20 bookshelf speakers and I am overall happy with the setup. I feel like dialogue in movies is a bit anemic so I figured a matching center channel would help with that. Unfortunately I don't have clearance under my TV to accommodate the size of a center channel so I have been flip-flopping on the purchase. I would need to either elevate my TV six inches or wall mount it. The former doesn't sound appealing since our TV is already at a good height, and the latter would have to wait until we're out of our rental home this coming summer. I could mount it over the TV but that doesn't sound aesthetically pleasing. I also don't know how I feel about having a heavy speaker sitting over a TV.

My TV is a TCL Roku 6 Series, connected to my receiver via optical cable. Would I notice any improvement in sound if I got a receiver with HDMI ports to connect to the TV? I always assumed HDMI only improved video quality and didn't realize it had an impact on sound.