Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AlbieQuirky posted:

I think you’ll find he was a middle-class white man with a famous partner who “told it like it is” (was constantly crass and hurtful) and who “kept it real” (behaved rudely and self-indulgently). Take out Keith Haring and you’ve got slender gay Donald Trump.

I just don't understand it. It's so cruel and for no reason, it's just the ultimate in "I am a dick and you love me". It's so insanely weird to anyone outside of it looking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you wanna see just how big of an rear end in a top hat he was there's a documentary about him getting out and you can tell he just hates it when he's not 100% the center of attention. I can only guess that his cult of personality came from having access to drugs and easily manipulated people. Like most cult leaders, actually.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
Gotta be fun times when you call 911 about a fire in your neighbor's backyard and discover that the neighbor is in fact burning the body of the someone he just killed.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Kiebland posted:

Just based on other stories about how police treat CIs and what we know about the Bakersfield PD, I’m not optimistic.
The US President is a blatant FBI CI, so I think it depends on how much you're worth.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Reminds me of the old Cold War joke...
What’s the definition of a tactical nuclear weapon?
One that detonates in Germany.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So have we had anything on leaded gasoline and how pervasive the lead became? If so, I apologize; if not, this is a really interesting article on how a scientist brought about banning tetraethyl lead.
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-most-important-scientist-you-ve-never-heard-of?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

I just don't understand it. It's so cruel and for no reason, it's just the ultimate in "I am a dick and you love me". It's so insanely weird to anyone outside of it looking in.
I get why people used to kiss his rear end and fawn over him because he was basically the mean popular girl at school who decided if you were invited to the party next week. There's was an exclusiveness to being in his company. But why anyone kept sucking his ego dick after that, I really can't understand.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

Why did so many folks treat this person as a minor celebrity? Michael Alig I mean.

He seems like a loving monster.

He's kind of a fascinating character in terms of personality. Like Donald Trump levels of narcissistic sociopath behavior but wrapped around a gay twink party planner from the 80s-90s who murdered someone and that's literally all he ended up being known for before his death. It's not necessarily a bad thing to be fascinated with human psychology and weird levels of fame attached to it as long as you're not like, glorifying it. I thought James St James did a pretty good job of explaining the entire scene and murders associated with it etc in the two books I read from him on it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

James St. James seems like a really interesting person and seeing Alig get more and more angry that St. James was more famous and successful than him was hilarious.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Golden Gael posted:

Hi folks, I'm back with one more mystery to close out the year. The Sloot Digital Coding System

Jan Sloot was a television repairman who spent the bulk of his time working on a device he theorized could hold entire movies in ridiculously small file sizes - think a feature film in 8KB. This sounds a bit nutty, but even more amazing are the names he got to sign on to funding his work. Major Dutch investors helped spread news of his work across the globe, accruing millions of dollars in backing. Then, a few days before a deal was made to have the system's source code transferred and mass-produced...Jan Sloot died of a sudden heart attack at home.

There was an intense rush to find his work so not all would be lost. I'll leave it to the video to explain how this ends.
This is great as always by the way dude, thanks. This is one of the rare ones you cover that I already knew about but you always manage to cram as much more detail as possible into this things than anyone else I've seen

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Dec 30, 2020

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

James St. James seems like a really interesting person and seeing Alig get more and more angry that St. James was more famous and successful than him was hilarious.

I follow James St James on Twitter and yeah he infinitely more interesting than Alig without being a murderer

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So have we had anything on leaded gasoline and how pervasive the lead became? If so, I apologize; if not, this is a really interesting article on how a scientist brought about banning tetraethyl lead.
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-most-important-scientist-you-ve-never-heard-of?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Out of curiosity, do you have an Android phone and/or did Google's daily news alerts pop this story up for you?

The Golden Gael posted:

Hi folks, I'm back with one more mystery to close out the year. The Sloot Digital Coding System

Jan Sloot was a television repairman who spent the bulk of his time working on a device he theorized could hold entire movies in ridiculously small file sizes - think a feature film in 8KB. This sounds a bit nutty, but even more amazing are the names he got to sign on to funding his work. Major Dutch investors helped spread news of his work across the globe, accruing millions of dollars in backing. Then, a few days before a deal was made to have the system's source code transferred and mass-produced...Jan Sloot died of a sudden heart attack at home.
Kind of reminds me of Phil Kramer, better known as the bassist for Iron Butterfly. Rumors around some sort of technological breakthrough have floated around, in the mid to late '90s before his body was found, the common conspiracy theory was that he was about to reveal an algorithm that could losslessly compress anything, even cryptographically secure random data, to an arbitrarily small file. The conspiracy theory now seems to center on an alleged method of faster-than-light communication.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

GWBBQ posted:

Out of curiosity, do you have an Android phone and/or did Google's daily news alerts pop this story up for you?

Kind of reminds me of Phil Kramer, better known as the bassist for Iron Butterfly. Rumors around some sort of technological breakthrough have floated around, in the mid to late '90s before his body was found, the common conspiracy theory was that he was about to reveal an algorithm that could losslessly compress anything, even cryptographically secure random data, to an arbitrarily small file. The conspiracy theory now seems to center on an alleged method of faster-than-light communication.

No, this story came up when someone posted a link to it on the gbs discord a few days ago.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

I thought that Sloot was a story I read about on a much older incarnation of this thread (like from a decade ago when I still lurked) but now that you mention it, Phil Kramer is probably who I'm thinking of.

Thank you everyone!

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Speaking of unnerving, I was re-reading this thread today and, well.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Humanity managed to live for millennia with out antibiotics. So even if this was the start of a "post antibiotic apocalypse," it isn't, we'd be just fine. Mortality rates in children and the elderly would sky rocket, but that ain't nothing more fuckin and eating can't fix. Just like always.

That70sShirt posted:

Just because we don't have anything right now that can fight these so-called "super bugs" doesn't mean we won't in the future. A lot of people might die in a Black Plague style manner before we do, but that hardly means extinction.

darkhand posted:

Leave it to this thread to come up with "it's only the plague" being a sigh of relief.

That70sShirt posted:

Well, that's only one possible scenario. We could very well invent new techniques to fight them before it gets that far.

From an e.coli discussion in 2016.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's something that manages to catch that elusive "unnerving, but cool" vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Here's something that manages to catch that elusive "unnerving, but cool" vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

All I could think about while watching this is that we are 100% going to have soldier robots soon.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

RCarr posted:

All I could think about while watching this is that we are 100% going to have soldier robots soon.

Honestly I’m surprised we don’t have autonomous patrol bots already in combat roles. The drone program has been in use for ages, I would think some kind of tracked vehicle or Boston Dynamics dog style robot doing valley patrols or perimeter security would be commonplace.

Or maybe they’re out there already and not spoken about. Or a drone is just easier and more effective (against hostile schools and weddings).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Honestly I’m surprised we don’t have autonomous patrol bots already in combat roles. The drone program has been in use for ages, I would think some kind of tracked vehicle or Boston Dynamics dog style robot doing valley patrols or perimeter security would be commonplace.

Or maybe they’re out there already and not spoken about. Or a drone is just easier and more effective (against hostile schools and weddings).

If by “autonomous” you mean doing its thing on its own, not being piloted through satellite uplink by a human in the US like our armed aerial drones are, the barrier to that is partly cultural. Building literal killer robots is bad PR.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

All you gotta do is replace the blue LEDs with red LEDs.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hardwood Floor posted:

Speaking of unnerving, I was re-reading this thread today and, well.

From an e.coli discussion in 2016.
Fortunately, we have a new antibiotic of last resort, there's a vancomycin analog that's 25,000x more potent than current vancomycin.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Honestly, probably but this type is going be like ewok style easy to figure out and trap. We already have funny drones they just have to figure out how to shoot from them without it throwing off the balance and there you go it's metal gear solid world

Bipedal robots will probably never work we are humans and will figure how to take them down

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People severely underestimate how smart human beings get when put under minimal duress

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If it can be killed we’ll find a way

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Being amazing at killing poo poo is what got us here.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That just gets us the Horizon: Zero Dawn world where there are communities who live off hunting robots and stripping them for scrap.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

GWBBQ posted:

Fortunately, we have a new antibiotic of last resort, there's a vancomycin analog that's 25,000x more potent than current vancomycin.

It’s probably already being fed to chickens in China.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The soviets had this weird bacteria/fungus treatment thing that was antibacterial and likely is going to be effective for a long as time since more conventional antibiotics phased it out.

Edit: It's phage therapy.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Pirate Radar posted:

If by “autonomous” you mean doing its thing on its own, not being piloted through satellite uplink by a human in the US like our armed aerial drones are, the barrier to that is partly cultural. Building literal killer robots is bad PR.

Yeah I guess I was thinking autonomous patrol but human in the loop for lethal action. So you could have multiple drones doing perimeter security with the option to strike if something is found.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Boston Dynamics is the dumbest grift ever and their robots will never replace actual humans or animals because meat robots will always be much cheaper and easier to train and replace when they break.

There’s nothing their $100K robot dogs can do that an actual dog or mule can’t do just as well or much better for a tiny fraction of the cost.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Besides all you have to do is hack into the mainframe and change “CopsAreAllies=True” to “False”

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This came to my attention because the trial is restarting this week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahim_Saleh

Wikipedia posted:

On July 14, 2020, Saleh was found dead in his luxury apartment on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Police have said that he was killed the day before. Earlier that night neighbors heard yelling from Saleh's unit and contacted his sister. After her attempts to contact him failed, she visited his condo on July 14 and found a grisly scene. She called police, who found Saleh's torso next to an electric saw, and his head and limbs in garbage bags elsewhere in the apartment.

On July 17, Saleh's personal assistant, 21-year-old Tyrese Devon Haspil, was arrested and charged with murder, since Haspil had been the prime suspect of murder with incriminating surveillance videos that show him using the tech CEO’s credit card after the murder and buying cleaning supplies, electric saw at Home Depot.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The way 2021 has started in another six months we'll be thinking he's a lucky one.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
This is one of the most egregious child abuse cases I've read about. The way the police handled this is awful. Huge WARNING for child abuse, including heartbreaking images of a very sickly child.
https://www.koreaboo.com/news/koreans-outraged-police-after-medical-professionals-reveal-baby-condition-unanswered-questions/
When the organ ruptured, it led to blood and infection filling up her abdomen. Her abdomen began to rot, so to speak. She may have had a chance to live if she was brought in immediately. But she wasn’t.When the organ ruptured, it led to blood and infection filling up her abdomen. Her abdomen began to rot, so to speak. She may have had a chance to live if she was brought in immediately. But she wasn’t. Nope, nope, nope.

quote:

“The police specifically said it cannot be child abuse unless there is a fracture or an open wound.”

"...Some fractures were old so they happened before and they were already healing. Some fractures were new.”
gently caress these idiots

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I read the entire 50 chapters of that Elan cult comic which is still not complete and I’m so disgusted. I’d never heard of it before but was curious because I feel there’s more of this (especially of the Christian Evangelical variety) than we know in America. I want to vomit.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Somehow that comic was more disturbing to me than almost everything else in the thread. I cant stop wondering how many more are out there like it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Scathach posted:

Somehow that comic was more disturbing to me than almost everything else in the thread. I cant stop wondering how many more are out there like it.
The art style makes it extra disturbing. It reminds me of the airplane safety guide drawings so it feels like I'm reading a "how to survive this awful place" guide.
The fact that parents are basically paying to get their children abused for mostly normal teenage things is horrifying. Like if there was legitimately something off about those kids those types of hell holes would surely make them worse.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

One of the guy's patreon incentives is that he'll draw you as a character in a future instalment in case, uh, you want that for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sarcopenia posted:

The art style makes it extra disturbing. It reminds me of the airplane safety guide drawings so it feels like I'm reading a "how to survive this awful place" guide.
The fact that parents are basically paying to get their children abused for mostly normal teenage things is horrifying. Like if there was legitimately something off about those kids those types of hell holes would surely make them worse.

It's been said before: If the kids made to go to these places were actually anywhere near as 'troubled' as their parents claim they are, there'd be a lot more dead staff.

I had a slasher movie idea for a masked killer going after the staff of a forced conversion camp.