Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Has squalid ever come back to this thread since the coup got voted out.

would you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Marenghi posted:

No, he is needed to nakedly defend imperialism elsewhere

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Marenghi posted:

Let's not do this. If you don't have anything better to post about than other posters, maybe don't post.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

yeah, that kind of worthless zero-content grudge posting goes here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890546&pagenumber=162&perpage=40

*absurdly exaggerated wink at OP*

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
RIP diegote, goodbye Tinelli/Maradona presidential formula.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr. Nemo posted:

RIP diegote, goodbye Tinelli/Maradona presidential formula.

I dont care much about football but he was great

RIP mano de dios

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
4 years to the day since Fidel.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

4 years to the day since Fidel.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
7 years since Ricky Fort and still hurts.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Oh, y'all had a Felipe Camiroaga moment in the early 10s too? I didn't know :smith:

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Was he the heir of a chocolatier fortune and made a reality show to cast for his new girlfriend only to come out of the closet after that, too?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They're coming up to elections, of course they're all campaigning.

Yeah, and they're all forming an alliance to campaign against the PSV, which they haven't done before because they were all (including the Trots) in the PSVs Patriotic Pole coalition. Until now when multiple coalition parties including the PCV have had their offices raided, staff harassed and court orders issued against them. Which is why most of them have dropped out and backed a new coalition.

Maduro isn't happy.

https://twitter.com/NovaShpakova/status/1333969816592543744?s=20

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah, and they're all forming an alliance to campaign against the PSV, which they haven't done before because they were all (including the Trots) in the PSVs Patriotic Pole coalition. Until now when multiple coalition parties including the PCV have had their offices raided, staff harassed and court orders issued against them. Which is why most of them have dropped out and backed a new coalition.

Maduro isn't happy.

https://twitter.com/NovaShpakova/status/1333969816592543744?s=20

Huh.

If the new coalition pans out I am willing to concede that democracy in Venezuela isn't dead. How much of a chance do you think the non-PSV folks have, assuming a vaguely fair election?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Assuming PSUV can stay in power, do you think they have any best-case plan for stabilizing the country? Besides hoping that the price of oil quadruples?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Speaking of Communist Partys.

What was the deal with "Shining Path" in Peru?

I hear that they were like the most violent far left party ever.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maoists who weren't good at making friends

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The new (MAS) health minister of Bolivia appears to have given the green light to people drinking bleach to treat COVID-19.

That seems, uhh, less than advisable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Can't get COVID if you're dead OP.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Huh.

If the new coalition pans out I am willing to concede that democracy in Venezuela isn't dead. How much of a chance do you think the non-PSV folks have, assuming a vaguely fair election?

Reading that thread and the websites of the PCV and some of the other parties in this APR alignment, they aren't allowed to take part in a fair election, they've been barred from tv and radio and face other restrictions including refusal to register candidates.

punk rebel ecks posted:

They were (well some of them are still around) a maoist group led by a philosophy professor whose extremely megalomaniacal and a big believer in death cults. Killed everyone who disagreed with them on even minor points in the territory they controlled, so bloody in fact some estimates of the death toll of the civil war suggest they may have killed more indigenous peasants than the brutal military dictatorship they were fighting. They collapsed almost over night when their leader was arrested because he designed the party to be a one man show with him in total control. What's left of them are hiding abroad or in the countryside, the last I'd heard of them was a international fight between maoist groups because its political wing had denounced Maduro as a fascist tool who should be killed, and one of their few commanders surrendering and arguing for clemency for his crimes on two grounds, 1)yes they had killed a lot of people under his orders, but they were in a war, 2) most of the people killed by the shining path were not normal people anyway, many were informers, drug addicts and homosexuals...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

punk rebel ecks posted:

Academic ultra-leftists who had no connection to the masses.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Academic ultra-leftists who had no connection to the masses.

Oh, C-SPAM posters then.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Regarding Shining Path's violent killings, Maria Elena Moyano may have been only one of many but also very symbolic. She was kind of a big deal in my hometown and a personal friend to family and friends:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar%C3%ADa_Elena_Moyano

wiki article posted:

Moyano was shot various time by a woman in front of her son Gustavo and her husband David Pineki (she married him in 1980). Her body was then dragged to the town square and blown up with dynamite. 

Years later I heard comments from people who attended her shocked brother who at first thought they were plucking pieces of shrapnel from his arm only to discover they were bone fragments of her sister.

So yeah, they were murderous inhuman monsters but I think the most damaging thing they did to the country was to make an entire generation scared as gently caress of leftist ideas and easily fall pray to the "terrorists are back" rethoric the right pull anytime there is some kind of social justice demand.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
PSUV won with 67% of the vote with 80% counted so far. Turnout was only 31% though.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lol, this quote is great
"The statement at the weekend by Edgar Pozo was part of a wave of change brought in by Bolivia's new government, which won a recent election after embracing the substance chlorine dioxide as a coronavirus treatment."
why yes, business insider, the chlorine dioxide is the reason they won, not the year long coup by insane theocrats

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHqJDs3OuhQ
Jesus loving Christ! What psychopaths!

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Oh, C-SPAM posters then.

What needlessly petty derail bait. Still, if you're looking for naval-gazing intellectuals disconnected from the suffering of others look to the beam in your own eye instead of the splinter in your brother's.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yadoppsi posted:

What needlessly petty derail bait. Still, if you're looking for naval-gazing intellectuals disconnected from the suffering of others look to the beam in your own eye instead of the splinter in your brother's.

Can't begrudge somebody setting up bait if you then proceed to swallow it, lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yadoppsi posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I thought I was in the C-SPAM thread, so when they posted that I just nodded my head sagely

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yadoppsi posted:

thank you for defending c-spam's honour, good knight

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I thought I was in the C-SPAM thread, so when they posted that I just nodded my head sagely

same until i noticed it was a Juan Crew poster, they never go to cspam :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Holy gently caress is VisualPolitickEN bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8f16Mso0o

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Why haven’t politicians used goku quotes yet?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Holy gently caress is VisualPolitickEN bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8f16Mso0o

never listen to people who wear shirts like that (the bald beardo, not pinoshit)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Doctor Jeep posted:

never listen to people who wear shirts like that (the bald beardo, not pinoshit)

I'm pretty sure that dude is nothing but a script-reader for hire, he's all over the place. I've seen him hosting something like 15 different youtube channels.

Your point stands, though

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Marenghi posted:

Hello

If you think what happened in Bolivia was a defeat for people like me, not only have you failed to understand Bolivian politics, but you have also failed to understand me and the broader political forces you consider your opponents. Tell me, how does that Sun Tzu quote about knowing your enemy go? Seems relevant here.

What happened in Bolivia was a great triumph of democratic politics and it has thus far left me completely satisfied. Events may still prove me wrong but right now I am feeling highly vindicated. I mainly held off returning so there was a bit of extra time to see what happened in the immediate aftermath. But I am so far highly pleased with Arce. Unfortunately for him I think it’s likely he’ll end up having to implement austerity soon, but that would have been true for any President unless commodity prices show a remarkable recovery. Hopefully it won’t be too traumatic.

Mostly I didn’t bother coming back to gloat in self satisfaction since with Arce’s win I haven’t really felt the need to advocate for anything. What with us all being on the same side now comrades :) I’ve like just about everything I’ve heard for him and it’s hard for me to imagine how things could have played out better following his win, considering the circumstances

Squalid fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 31, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Squalid posted:

Hello

If you think what happened in Bolivia was a defeat for people like me, not only have you failed to understand Bolivian politics, but you have also failed to understand me and the broader political forces you consider your opponents. Tell me, how does that Sun Tzu quote about knowing your enemy go? Seems relevant here.

What happened in Bolivia was a great triumph of democratic politics and it has thus far left me completely satisfied. Events may still prove me wrong but right now I am feeling highly vindicated. I mainly held off returning so there was a bit of extra time to see what happened in the immediate aftermath. But I am so far highly pleased with Arce. Unfortunately for him I think it’s likely he’ll end up having to implement austerity soon, but that would have been true for any President unless commodity prices show a remarkable recovery. Hopefully it won’t be too traumatic.

You fit in better at your main message board.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You literally supported the coup. You think the year of illegitimate coup government was a triumph for democracy? The fact that you're extremely satisfied with how the last year has played out says a lot about you.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Squalid posted:

Hello

Mostly I didn’t bother coming back to gloat in self satisfaction since with Arce’s win I haven’t really felt the need to advocate for anything. What with us all being on the same side now comrades :) I’ve like just about everything I’ve heard for him and it’s hard for me to imagine how things could have played out better following his win, considering the circumstances

A fascist coup for a year isn't a great triumph, imo

Being self satisfied that the fascist coup you supported based on bullshit allegations collapsed seems weird.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Kraut just released a video that's the start of a series on the history of México that mainly focuses on how the US and México came to diverge so much in economic development. This is retreading a bit on the discussion we had on why Latin America in general is worse off in economic development than the US - the much greater dependence of the Spanish colonies on Spain, the extreme concentration of power in a landholding Spanish elite, etc. Fair warning though, his pronunciations are mostly rear end.

It also touches on a North-South divide in México. I had little awareness that there were actually multiple Mexican states trying to secede from México around the same time as Texas. It seems pretty sensible that I should read up more on the history of my neighbor. Anyone know of good books on the history of México, in English or Spanish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

adoration for none posted:

Kraut just released a video that's the start of a series on the history of México that mainly focuses on how the US and México came to diverge so much in economic development. This is retreading a bit on the discussion we had on why Latin America in general is worse off in economic development than the US - the much greater dependence of the Spanish colonies on Spain, the extreme concentration of power in a landholding Spanish elite, etc. Fair warning though, his pronunciations are mostly rear end.

It also touches on a North-South divide in México. I had little awareness that there were actually multiple Mexican states trying to secede from México around the same time as Texas. It seems pretty sensible that I should read up more on the history of my neighbor. Anyone know of good books on the history of México, in English or Spanish?

I really liked the Revolutions podcast series that was done on the Mexican Revolution. When you get to that point it covers the whole period rather well, I'd say. Duncan also did the Haitian Revolution and general Latin American independence, both which are really interesting, particularly the former.