Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

If your drone's program is good enough that it can spot the, presumably hidden, ends of a fiber optic cable then its probably about to develop a God complex and take over an arcology.

:psyduck: people who aren't riggers use drones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

apostateCourier posted:

I mean if you replace program with rigger it doesn't really change anything. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

apostateCourier posted:

In this specific game? Absolutely. For 2 karma your PC can flip switches through vents on their own freeing up party options.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

paragon1 posted:

Ares isn't going to build the complex space mirror and telescope system because nobody is going to pay for an ultra-expensive system that can be foiled by a loving cloud when you already have GPS and rods from god.

I'm not sure you understand how defense contractors work.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Why does it need to spot them? Just spray everywhere.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Keldulas posted:

Mana combat spells need fairly direct visual contact (or an equivalent in Astral) to actually do anything to anything. Physical Combat spells don't, but they do need to be aimed like actual physical weapons do. And at a distance like that, even a few degrees off in LEO means that even the biggest, strongest AoE spell is likely to miss. Or hit something else that was in route and you didn't see so it detonates on something else. Potentially of your own or or of somebody that you didn't want to attack.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

I dont know posted:

At least in 3rd edition, there was a specific phys adept power that did this, presumably someone at FASA had been watching too much Fist of the North Star. It works like this.

The adept has to touch the target, nothing obvious. The pc and target roll a stealth check to see if they noticed being brushed against. Regardless of whether or not the target notices, the pc rolls like they are making an unarmed attack and the the target rolls like they are defending from an unarmed attack, damage is calculated, and then nothing happens for a bit. If the adept rolled some damage they get to declare when in the next 24hours it actually takes effect. If someone looks at the target in astral space between the casting and when it goes off, they can even see the punch magic just chilling on the target's astral form waiting to hit them in the face.

Funky. And while it's obviously meant to be a dim-mak, five-point-fist-heart-exploding-technique kind of thing, I see a marvellous opportunity for a honey pot assassin. Plenty of opportunities to touch a target dozens of times without them complaining in the least !

Keldulas posted:

Add insult to your injurious run. "We're sorry, boss. The runners escaped with the doohickey. They've also repainted every hallway in the facility a particularly awful shade of beige - we're not sure why."

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Kobal2 posted:

Add insult to your injurious run. "We're sorry, boss. The runners escaped with the doohickey. They've also repainted every hallway in the facility a particularly awful shade of beige - we're not sure why."

This is something every runner should be doing every time - deception is valuable. If you steal some data, break into an office and spray paint a message from that guy's jilted lover. Don't steal a prototype when you can also steal a dozen other random objects. Every assassination should be an extraction gone wrong. Keep 'em guessing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kobal2 posted:

Funky. And while it's obviously meant to be a dim-mak, five-point-fist-heart-exploding-technique kind of thing, I see a marvellous opportunity for a honey pot assassin. Plenty of opportunities to touch a target dozens of times without them complaining in the least !

In the grim darkness of the far future, people will always find a way to make it smexy. :j:

raverrn posted:

This is something every runner should be doing every time - deception is valuable. If you steal some data, break into an office and spray paint a message from that guy's jilted lover. Don't steal a prototype when you can also steal a dozen other random objects. Every assassination should be an extraction gone wrong. Keep 'em guessing.

[takes notes for if I ever play Shadowrun]

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Quackles posted:

[takes notes for if I ever play Shadowrun]

Four key points of Shadowrunning:

1: Confusion is a valuable tool.

2: You’re not paranoid if there really are people trying to kill you (and there aren’t then either you haven’t been doing your job right or you should be charging a lot more than you are)

3: Always have at least two more exit plans than you think you’ll need.

4: If the client didn’t want you to kill thirty six people and blow up the building as part of one of those exit plans then they should have specified that in your contract.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 31, 2020

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

FH_Meta posted:

Mana combat spells need fairly direct visual contact (or an equivalent in Astral) to actually do anything to anything. Physical Combat spells don't, but they do need to be aimed like actual physical weapons do. And at a distance like that, even a few degrees off in LEO means that even the biggest, strongest AoE spell is likely to miss. Or hit something else that was in route and you didn't see so it detonates on something else. Potentially of your own or or of somebody that you didn't want to attack.

I meant that the Drone can just give the place a thin coat of paint if you're having one mess with the fiber optics.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Stroth posted:

4: If the client didn’t want you to kill thirty six people and blow up the building as part of one of those exit plans then they should have specified that in your contract.

4.5: If the client did specify that, then you waive your right to get sassy when they are very understandably upset at the thirty six people you killed.
4.5.5: Regardless, you should expect to have to kill thirty six people (at least) even if your Johnson wanted you to go as quiet as possible. Don't go anywhere completely unarmed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

5. Conserve ammo
6. Choose your friends carefully
7. Never cut a deal with a dragon

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

paragon1 posted:

I mean if you replace program with rigger it doesn't really change anything. :v:

Blitz: *sighs and goes back to shitposting on Shadowland*

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
8. If its your first run, your Johnson will betray you. It's tradition.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:mad:"You betrayed me for the last time! "
:weiner:-"How could I have known your teammates are so hot? "

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I'm not sure you understand how defense contractors work.

Ares is more of a service provider than a pure defense contractor really. They don't build big infrastructure to sell to someone else when they can rent it to them instead.

This is besides the point that the UCAS is not a super power with unlimited resources to spend on useless crap that doesn't work. Japan is the super power and the Imperial military deals with failure to deliver a bit more harshly.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 31, 2020

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

GhostStalker posted:

I think the big troll was Nightjar, but Gutshot might’ve been the Elf lady?

Nightjar was the troll, but I wanted to celebrate his really good runner name too. Because the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightjar (or nighthawk, sometimes) is a bird with long wings and not very big feet who a) are generally active during the crepuscular hours (dawn and dusk); b) have cryptically colored plumage that helps them hide, resembling bark or leaves; c) hunt by swooping down on moths and bugs, catching them in a beak that isn't very long but is often startlingly wide; and d) have as a call this... creepy drone I wish I could reproduce here, but I'm at work. They're found in a lot of places, and have a reputation as a bird of sorrow or ill omen. Also, a lot of them nest on the ground, as opposed to in a tree.

So, yeah- not a bad handle for a Shadowrunner! RIP, Nightjar; you... probably weren't a good person by most measures even in the Shadowrun world, but your nomenclature? On point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The best of all Nightjars is, of course, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potoo

The ultimate in silly looking birds.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

For some reason the name “Nightjar” always makes me think of “night-soil”. It made some awkward associations while playing Sekiro, let me tell you.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

paragon1 posted:

Ares is more of a service provider than a pure defense contractor really. They don't build big infrastructure to sell to someone else when they can rent it to them instead.

This is besides the point that the UCAS is not a super power with unlimited resources to spend on useless crap that doesn't work. Japan is the super power and the Imperial military deals with failure to deliver a bit more harshly.

The UCAS still has significant power projection capabilities though, don't they? I thought they were one of the only three factions in Shadowrun that fielded nuclear carrier battle groups, the other two being the IJN and S-K.

And really, the Pentagon is still standing in Shadowrun, as far as I know. If there's one tradition I'd expect to have survived since the days of the good ol' US of A, it's that place acting as a black hole for money. What else is the UCAS gonna spend its tax revenue on anyway?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The UCAS still has significant power projection capabilities though, don't they? I thought they were one of the only three factions in Shadowrun that fielded nuclear carrier battle groups, the other two being the IJN and S-K.

And really, the Pentagon is still standing in Shadowrun, as far as I know. If there's one tradition I'd expect to have survived since the days of the good ol' US of A, it's that place acting as a black hole for money. What else is the UCAS gonna spend its tax revenue on anyway?

Subsidies.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I think the CAS (aka the South that rose again) also has significant power projection in the form of nuclear aircraft carrier battle groups (or at least a battle group, singular).

And the UCAS probably spends a lot of it’s military budget paying Ares Arms and other subsidiaries for equipment, at least before Detroit happened.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Yeah, sure, they have some nice carriers. Granted I've only got mention of a total of 2 more being commissioned in like 60 years from what I can see. One of whose home port is Seattle and well uh... lets just say you won't see UCAS ships in the Pacific very often anymore

All those military bases around the world to actually base operations out of are gone. They don't even really have Gitmo anymore that got leased to Ares long term. Most of the nuclear attack subs went with the CAS etc. Seriously, she ain't what she used to be. Combine that with them down to being like less than a fourth of the old territory and yeah, national defense is still a budget black hole but they do actually need to get things for their money now. What with being surrounded by hostile powers, some of whom do not recognize their right to exist.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The most important rule of playing Shadowrun is mostly that the actual Shadowrun system sucks for playing Shadowrun. There's very good reasons these games don't use it!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bewilderment posted:

The most important rule of playing Shadowrun is mostly that the actual Shadowrun system sucks for playing Shadowrun. There's very good reasons these games don't use it!

So what system would you suggest for playing Shadowrun? :v:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Quackles posted:

So what system would you suggest for playing Shadowrun? :v:

Blades in the Dark.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

habeasdorkus posted:

Blades in the Dark.

Yeah, the Runners in the Shadows hack for it is meant to be decent.

For those unfamiliar with Blades and other 'Forged in the Dark' games, the point is that you get to skip over the 'planning phase' of any heist/run. Instead you just declare what your load is (light/medium/heavy) and the starting point of your run (e.g. if you're breaking into a mansion, your starting point is sneaking in through the Foyer). Then if you find out you actually need to climb up to some rafters, you can say "Good thing I brought my grappling hook and rope in my load" and just mark that off. Get stabbed? "Luckily I planned ahead and am wearing armor."

Similarly if you run into opposition you can expend some Stress points to flashback to a time when resolving the challenge would be easier. Cracking a combination lock while the guards are on their way might be a 'Desperate Limited' roll requiring multiple rolls that you just don't have. Flashing back to ambushing a lone clerk who knows the code to the lock the night before in an alley might be a 'Risky Great' roll instead where you get the combo right away.
You can even be playing a character type like the Spider and your entire contribution to the heist is flashbacks and you never actually go onsite at all.

--

Alternatively the other way to play Shadowrun is to just accept that office complexes and corporate facilities are just futuristic dungeons and just whip out your favourite edition of DnD or a similar game. Rename bows to 'guns', a '+1 sword' is instead a 'cybersword' or whatever, and replace the entire mess that is decking with 'proficiency in thieves tools/Disable Device/etc' and you're done.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The crunch is part of the point for Shadowrun. RiTS and other Blades style stuff goes too far in the other direction, I feel. I also don't like how Blades kicks you while you're down -- it does a very good job of selling the feeling that you're a crew of hard-scrabbling thieves clawing your way up into relevance... I just don't like that feeling.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

Alternatively the other way to play Shadowrun is to just accept that office complexes and corporate facilities are just futuristic dungeons and just whip out your favourite edition of DnD or a similar game. Rename bows to 'guns', a '+1 sword' is instead a 'cybersword' or whatever, and replace the entire mess that is decking with 'proficiency in thieves tools/Disable Device/etc' and you're done.

The system to use for this is Strike!, since DnD is also not a good system for anything except feeling like DnD.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Whybird posted:

The system to use for this is Strike!, since DnD is also not a good system for anything except feeling like DnD.

While in agreement I didn't want to start tg-drama about whatever people's feelings were about DnD in an LP thread based on an entirely different game.

wiegieman posted:

I also don't like how Blades kicks you while you're down -- it does a very good job of selling the feeling that you're a crew of hard-scrabbling thieves clawing your way up into relevance... I just don't like that feeling.

Interestingly, once a playgroup understands how to game the Stress system it starts to become the opposite and it's actually very hard to get any consequences to 'stick'.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One thing I'm unclear of with BitD - if I mark off some gear slots to turn them into a grappling hook, do I continue to have a grappling hook for the rest of the mission? Or is it all now 'expended'?.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

bewilderment posted:

For those unfamiliar with Blades and other 'Forged in the Dark' games, the point is that you get to skip over the 'planning phase' of any heist/run. Instead you just declare what your load is (light/medium/heavy) and the starting point of your run (e.g. if you're breaking into a mansion, your starting point is sneaking in through the Foyer). Then if you find out you actually need to climb up to some rafters, you can say "Good thing I brought my grappling hook and rope in my load" and just mark that off. Get stabbed? "Luckily I planned ahead and am wearing armor."

I thought half the fun of Shadowrun was coming up with some elaborate heist plan and seeing if it survives contact with your GM.

Hacking still sucks though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
should just shove it into a combat thing like these games, ex hong kong

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Lone Badger posted:

One thing I'm unclear of with BitD - if I mark off some gear slots to turn them into a grappling hook, do I continue to have a grappling hook for the rest of the mission? Or is it all now 'expended'?.

Yeah, once you officially 'have' your grappling hook and mark off that much load it occupies, then it stays occupied by that. The reason you wouldn't just pick 'heavy load' every time is that it explicitly makes you look like you're geared up even to a casual observer; not the best choice for infiltrating a party.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I thought half the fun of Shadowrun was coming up with some elaborate heist plan and seeing if it survives contact with your GM.

Basically BitD replicates that part of a heist movie where the plan is described as you see the actual characters doing it.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

While in agreement I didn't want to start tg-drama about whatever people's feelings were about DnD in an LP thread based on an entirely different game.

Yeah, you're probably right. The way that it's become The Default System To Use For Stuff really gets under my skin, but I do need to shut my mouth about it from time to time.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Here's a wildcard option:
Use the Dark Heresy system for playing shadowrun

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Sprawl is another natural choice for Shadowrun and there's even a pay-what-you-want homebrew Shadowrun hack for it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One of my friends has tried both Entromancy and Cyberpunk as Shadowrun substitutes and liked both. Since he played them both this last year I haven't been able to join in to try myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Poil posted:

One of my friends has tried both Entromancy and Cyberpunk as Shadowrun substitutes and liked both. Since he played them both this last year I haven't been able to join in to try myself.

Do you know how they handled the Higher ability thresholds of metahumans in the Cyberpunk variant?

Someone came up with their own system for doing Shadowrun back in 2019.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1THFcK-OhJ3EXE8DQ6F33Oj-ESUq9FbbHmL56XsNdtbU/edit#heading=h.vgx6ibuh4l57

Edit: More of a re-imagined Shadowrun really.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 1, 2021