Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

bedpan posted:

Northern Ireland or Scotland first?

Once those go, how far behind is Wales?

I'd say Scotland. NI is unsustainable as an independent country and Ireland don't particularly want them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Gov is really trying their best to gently caress up the vaccine rollout huh

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

They actually done it, they actually brexited, the absolutely madmen.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Frankly I'm brexited for what 2021 with a glorious and free britain will bring.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

bedpan posted:

Irish reunification doesn't have quite the same ring to it and I can't imagine it being called anything else, so for now I'm only concerned about the.... untying of the Gordian Scot?

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

No-mah' Scotia

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Cutterscotch

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Single Market Scotch Whisky

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Single Market Scotch Whisky

Lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tiocfaidh ar laxit

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Happy new year and Congratulations British on your special day

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

The situation in Wales is complicated. In that it’s full of retired Tory voting English pensioners. So it could just be political apathy or it could be the very real attempts to make Wales ‘England but with cheap houses’. It doesn’t help that the Welsh government is terrible and embarrassing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Regarde Aduck posted:

The situation in Wales is complicated. In that it’s full of retired Tory voting English pensioners. So it could just be political apathy or it could be the very real attempts to make Wales ‘England but with cheap houses’. It doesn’t help that the Welsh government is terrible and embarrassing.
First the north of England goes, then London and Cornwall, then the Home Counties, and finally the rest of England, leaving Wales as the independent UK with a median age of 55 and a daily pledge to restore the Empire.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

A Buttery Pastry posted:

First the north of England goes, then London and Cornwall, then the Home Counties, and finally the rest of England, leaving Wales as the independent UK with a median age of 55 and a daily pledge to restore the Empire.

the Western Holy British Empire

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah north england will get independence before wales does lol

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Amazon have stopped shipping booze from GB to Northern Ireland fml. They always had great deals on scotch and this has hampered my plan to drink myself to death before the country collapses.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

bedpan posted:

Northern Ireland has today become a freak de facto EU statelet and the path to unification seems inevitable now. It ought to be an enormous political embarrassment for the UK government and make any talk about having achieved national sovereignty risible but they really don't give that much of a toss about the place and also some people just have no shame. Northern Ireland's position in the union will be even more untenable if Scotland leaves - the former's cultural ties to unionism have always gone through Scotland.

Woke Pob posted:

Amazon have stopped shipping booze from GB to Northern Ireland fml. They always had great deals on scotch and this has hampered my plan to drink myself to death before the country collapses.

my hoover bag order got cancelled and i had to dig all the dust and cat hair out of an old one yesterday in the cold and wet :manning:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I really don't think Scotland will manage to leave the Union. Well, the other Union. Everything that works in favor of Irish reunification works in reverse for Scotland.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Lol, the only way Scotland would be allowed to leave the union would be to end up in a coalition government and even then it would be a referendum at the end of the term which we have seen doesn't always work out how the politicians would like.

Brexit will be seen as a roaring success because that is what the Torygraph and the Dail Sieg Heil will tell people, reality will not even enter into the conversation.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
give it a couple of years and scotland can leave the uk by declaring that they've left and daring the remaining ten guys and a dinghy that constitutes the british armed forces to do something about it

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/raaleh/status/1344983275924844544

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Woke Pob posted:

I'd say Scotland. NI is unsustainable as an independent country and Ireland don't particularly want them back.

NI is kind of an economic boat anchor sure, but a unified independent Ireland has been the ultimate own the Brits since, like, forever, so...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

mrmcd posted:

NI is kind of an economic boat anchor sure, but a unified independent Ireland has been the ultimate own the Brits since, like, forever, so...
I wonder if the EU might, in the spirit of friendship/owning the Brits, decide to throw a little extra money and effort Ireland's way to make unification easier on the RoI.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Under the Good Friday Agreement a united Ireland needs majority consent from both Ireland and NI. NI isn't there yet, though Brexit is bound to help.

It has majority support in Ireland as an idea. In practice it would increase the population of Ireland by more than a third. The two countries have different legal systems, government bodies, currencies, education, social security, healthcare and on and on. And NI has a dysfunctional government with very little real power granted to it on those matters.

Scotland already has an independent legal system and parliament with most of the legislative and tax-raising powers needed to function as an independent country.

In an ideal world both would happen soon after England sank into the sea.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I wonder if the EU might, in the spirit of friendship/owning the Brits, decide to throw a little extra money and effort Ireland's way to make unification easier on the RoI.

Yeah this is the way I see it happening. Demographic changes in NI have already been happening more quickly than was predicted. In the 2011 census there was an almost even split between catholics and protestants and the census this year will likely reveal a majority catholic population for the first time and, due to Brexit, likely as many Irish passport holders as British. A border poll then becomes an inevitability and the impact of Boris's crazy deal on everyday life here will most likely push people who didn't have an opinion on the matter towards unification. Unionism is no longer the safe, status quo that it was for decades. NI will continue to be a massive thorn in the side of the British government and it will be glad to negotiate a settlement with RoI and the EU to be rid of it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

crispix posted:

Yeah this is the way I see it happening. Demographic changes in NI have already been happening more quickly than was predicted. In the 2011 census there was an almost even split between catholics and protestants and the census this year will likely reveal a majority catholic population for the first time and, due to Brexit, likely as many Irish passport holders as British. A border poll then becomes an inevitability and the impact of Boris's crazy deal on everyday life here will most likely push people who didn't have an opinion on the matter towards unification. Unionism is no longer the safe, status quo that it was for decades. NI will continue to be a massive thorn in the side of the British government and it will be glad to negotiate a settlement with RoI and the EU to be rid of it
UKIP splits over whether to support the government in getting rid of Ireland, or to demand the RIC arrest the rebels. A minor splinter group occupies the Isle of Man in the belief that it's Ireland.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
congrats boyos, you did it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dr Pepper posted:

Now the countdown to Brentrance when the gammon realize how much their lives suck now.

nah how is anyone gonna notice that the slide into poo poo got slightly steeper?

within a year or two large segments of the media will be acting like we've never been allowed on holiday anyway

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

So...what did Brexit mean in the end?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

LOL they actually, really, have a desire for world domination. That’s some Mini-Me poo poo right there.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Ah to be 21 again, sailing the high seas and filling my coffers with plundered Spanish gold.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lmao wales

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Honj Steak posted:

LOL they actually, really, have a desire for world domination. That’s some Mini-Me poo poo right there.

they actually, really think we always have been dominating the world

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

they actually, really think we always have been dominating the world
In contrast to Americans, who believe the US is half the world, the English have a very accurate read of the true strength of America. The issue is they believe it's England.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Honj Steak posted:

thousands of enslaved millennials bound to zero-hour contracts are contracted to change whole neighbourhoods to be like the 80s again and pretend to go fight & die for the falklands over and over again

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Woke Pob posted:

Ah to be 21 again, sailing the high seas and filling my coffers with plundered Spanish gold.

Why do you think they kept Gibraltar? *taps head*

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

*Trump voice* Buh-bye.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

An insane mind posted:

So...what did Brexit mean in the end?

Surrendering Northern Ireland and Gibraltar

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
Are the fresh fish merchants still in business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU