Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its very cute you're so into the stuff everyone else groans about :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Xi Jinping should meet Karl Pilkington

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Protagorean posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1344414311540637696?s=19

lol wasn't there also-uncorroborated intel on Russia doing this exact thing not a month or two ago
was cuba and iran also doing this

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

comedyblissoption posted:

was cuba and iran also doing this

iran and cuba were making a hit list and i saw the hitlist and the hitlist looked at me

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

punk rebel ecks posted:

To bad the Chongqing model isn't adopted anymore.

your mom's pretty chonking and she told me you were adopted

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's kinda funny because the post-Vietnam takeaway was that "the American public will not give a gently caress about how many wars you get into as long as they don't see the bodies on the evening news" so the corporatist media got co-opted into only portraying the America's wars in a positive light, and it worked really well, for that specific purpose.

And then now they want to make the public care about American soldiers getting merked, either to own Trump and/or to escalate tensions with Russia/China, and it's not working because the prior project was so successful!
others can confirm/deny but i've heard that chinese know the state media is telling them the "party line." what's different about america is that americans are also told that, but they don't believe they're being told the party line. it's just like, bluhhhh... axios reported it and that's the objective, god's honest truth

Antonymous posted:

its very cute you're so into the stuff everyone else groans about :)
who would not pursue the taste of happiness?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
同志们

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUevNynvlkw

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

others can confirm/deny but i've heard that chinese know the state media is telling them the "party line." what's different about america is that americans are also told that, but they don't believe they're being told the party line. it's just like, bluhhhh... axios reported it and that's the objective, god's honest truth

Can't say anything about how Chinese people perceive propaganda in their society, but the overabundance of brainwashed idiots in American society is absolutely related to the seemingly ubiquitous perception that the US is a free society with a free press and propaganda just doesn't happen here.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

imagine some 'live free or die' poli sci nerd in china sharing videos of Pete Buttigeig at the Iowa state fair speaking a language he does not understand, unironically feeling patriotism for a country he's never been to

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

imagine some 'live free or die' poli sci nerd in china sharing videos of Pete Buttigeig at the Iowa state fair speaking a language he does not understand, unironically feeling patriotism for a country he's never been to

no, and you can’t make me

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

i know you think it's cute i find delight in this cornball stuff but i didn't actually watch the taste of happiness video

but are you telling me you don't watch mayor pete sample the fried, buttery offerings at the iowa state fair?

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 22:30 on Dec 31, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the more surreal the better

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://twitter.com/bayareas415/status/1344677303318687745?s=20

What has the white left done this year?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Doc Hawkins posted:

your mom's pretty chonking and she told me you were adopted

I take it you aren't a Neo-Marxist?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

cant wait to make the 3 people at my new years party watch this

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Protagorean posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1344414311540637696?s=19

lol wasn't there also-uncorroborated intel on Russia doing this exact thing not a month or two ago

China has been doing this since the 70s lol, they were paying people to gently caress with Russia when they were in Afghanistan too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it’s made up, OP. it didn’t happen.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Antonymous posted:

imagine some 'full communism now' poli sci nerd in Europe sharing videos of Xi at the National Peoples’ Congress speaking a language he does not understand, unironically feeling patriotism for a country he's never been to

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Enjoyed this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

Apparently there's a scandal brewing in the Philippines where some politicians and military members got early access to the Sinopharm vaccine

I don't think it's a setup. I posted like last month that two senators let it slip that they've already been vaccinated, and then this latest scandal was triggered by Duterte just flat out saying that some members of the military were already vaccinated

Media started asking questions and it turns out they were from the Presidential Security Group, or our equivalent of the Secret Service

The head of the PSG confirmed it

It's illegal because no vaccine has been officially approved yet for use in the PH by our FDA

The presidential spokesperson tried to deflect by saying that it wouldn't count as illegal because it wasn't sold (which is wrong)

He then later said that it wouldn't count as illegal because maybe the vaccines were just tokens or gifts (which is still wrong)

Then the head of the PSG said that the vaccines were smuggled, which is extremely illegal!

Basically the Philippines did what every other country did where the elites got priority in getting vaccinated, but they never bothered creating the narrative that this is good because we're doing it to show the public that it's safe to take.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

there's something to be said for being a citizen in a party-state/partocracy where most people can recognize and "see" the propaganda for what it is by the nature of the system. It puts a lot of pressure on the party (and the state) to live up the purported reality or values. Everyone knows the CPC is in charge and if poo poo is hosed up they know who to blame. Sure, there's factional infighting, and class conflict within and between interest groups in China, but it takes place under the umbrella of party rule and responsibility.

In America, the propaganda is more subtle: you have a line that comes down from Congress, out from the bureaucracy and is "visible," but then you have a network of NGOs, think thanks, capitalist lobbying groups, that set the intellectual agenda for major (capitalist) newspapers.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There were 5 Chinese vaccines in trail 3, and 2 by Sinopharm. China just approved the Sinopharm vaccine which has 79% efficiency. There is not a lot of detail and I don't even know which Sinopharm vaccine got the approval.

I think when China bribed Durterte with vaccines, they obviously give them the one the Chinese considered their best, or with least side effect. It's interesting that they chose Sinopharm one.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
happy new year all, hope its another good one for the PRC.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1344709967086047232

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Jan 1, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lol Stoller.

Ardennes posted:

They assumed that the Europeans would/will just buckle under and everything would reset to the Obama-era.

That has been a pretty safe assumption. Especially now that Angela Merkel is leaving, because her successor is going to be significantly weaker and probably more dependent on the classical transatlantic networks. Remember when she was new to the party leadership she also went to Washington to pledge fealty to the coalition of the Willing. I don't think the EU will excitedly jump into a trade war, but I fully expect them to stumble into half assed support of specific US wrecking projects.

stephenthinkpad posted:

The EU is not going to help the US against China any more than paying lip service if Biden doesn't give 1) Nordstream2 to the Germans and 2) IT tax to French.

Do you have any basis for this? As far as I can remember Nordstream is basically the only major project that's going ahead despite US objections.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

That has been a pretty safe assumption. Especially now that Angela Merkel is leaving, because her successor is going to be significantly weaker and probably more dependent on the classical transatlantic networks. Remember when she was new to the party leadership she also went to Washington to pledge fealty to the coalition of the Willing. I don't think the EU will excitedly jump into a trade war, but I fully expect them to stumble into half assed support of specific US wrecking projects.

Eh it had been safe assumption when the EU was more reliant on the US and Chinese-EU trade was comparatively more minor, but what is tying the EU to US at the hip at this point especially without the UK being involved? Merkel became chancellor in a very different geopolitical environment, one where the US held almost all the cards. and more recently she has been taking a pragmatic approach that is gradually being shared by Macron.

quote:

Do you have any basis for this? As far as I can remember Nordstream is basically the only major project that's going ahead despite US objections.

5G, Iran, BRI among others, if anything, EU and US policy have clearly been diverging for a while. Also, there is no answer to Russia from Washington, and it is unclear if the EU is really interested in anything besides a token effort.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Jan 1, 2021

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

genericnick posted:

Didn't they just sign a major trade deal with China

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

but what is tying the EU to US at the hip at this point especially without the UK being involved?

NATO. And I don't foresee major geopolitical shifts until the matter is resolved, quite frankly. The EU has countless US military bases all over, very little independent military capability of its own. At least, when compared to what it should've developed if there were no NATO. So far it has willingly gone along with US strategies, so we've only seen the cooperative benefits to those bases. We may find out soon if and how much they can be a constraint, a coercive tool even, wrt pursuing independent foreign policy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mortons stork posted:

NATO. And I don't foresee major geopolitical shifts until the matter is resolved, quite frankly. The EU has countless US military bases all over, very little independent military capability of its own. At least, when compared to what it should've developed if there were no NATO. So far it has willingly gone along with US strategies, so we've only seen the cooperative benefits to those bases. We may find out soon if and how much they can be a constraint, a coercive tool even, wrt pursuing independent foreign policy

Many of those bases are shadows of their former selves, the US has been reducing its presence because it can’t afford to fully station them. I am sure NATO will still be around if only because of the Baltic/Russia issue but that doesn’t give tremendous leverage by the US on the rest of Europe. If anything the Bush/Obama/Trump years have shown NATO to be more of a burden than anything and NATO barely came up in the recent Turkey/Greece dispute.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Jan 1, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mila kunis posted:

Didn't they just sign a major trade deal with China

Did the US even object to that?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kinda disappointing that he didn't talk about climate change and China's efforts to deal with it.
China residents itt, how prevalent would you say the issue of global warming is in cpc discourse, and how much do combating it and preparing for the future catastrophes actually structure the 5-year-plans?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1344919979372675072?s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that rules

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

genericnick posted:

Did the US even object to that?

https://twitter.com/ipacglobal/status/1344389072194830336?s=19

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol I wonder why the EU may have recently decided that China is a better and more stable economic partner than the US. :iiam:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

this should be the response to the next USN exercise near the south china sea

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Keep in mind Germany is the president of the EU council in the 2nd half of 2020. You got to think EU pushing thru the investment deal with China in the last day of 2020 is Germany's way of sending Biden a message.

I watch decent amount of DW news, that poisoned Russian opposition politician has gotten a lot of news coverage in the Germany press, alot more than on France24 and other UK channels. The guy was poisoned in Russia but so how he was helicoptered to a Germany hospital right away. If you tell me Germany anti Merkel fractions and CIA didn't have a hand it driving a knift between the Germany-Russia relationship, I wouldn't believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Centrist Committee posted:

this should be the response to the next USN exercise near the south china sea
from the new year's videos i'm watching, china is apparently rolling out a spaceship captained by a diva singing about the powers of rejuvenation

it's like the civ games, they're going in for the culture victory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH3cBcbTv9s