Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

ChubbyChecker posted:

haha amazing

what was wrong with the light bulbs

I have seen internet arguments over whether LEDs or incandescent bulbs are better. The all-time trophy still goes to the scale model hobbyists still fighting over the hull colours of Star Trek TOS ships. The original show knew the colours would shift under studio lighting and using 60s cameras, so the models are quite a different shade to how they appeared on screen and there are extra details that couldn't be seen in the broadcast. This could be a fascinating study of why colour palettes are actually serious considerations in the real world...but no, they have slapfights instead.

My theory is that these hobbies are about recreating beloved childhood memories or fantasies of the past, and anyone "doing it wrong" is contradicting your memory and therefore attacking your sense of self directly. That and (in the model railway world definitely) a hefty dose of racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Reminds me of this Addams Family set in colour

Where the garish colours were specifically chosen because they looked drab and spooky on TV once they'd been filtered through the camera.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have a newfound respect for the actors on that show being able to act spooky on that bubblegum bullshit set

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, color photos of black and white television studio sets are always wild because of how they had to use wildly different colors to get the right effect in monochrome. Some of the early color film processes were just as tricky to film, look up Cinecolor some time.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Dec 31, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gaius Marius posted:

I have a newfound respect for the actors on that show being able to act spooky on that bubblegum bullshit set
Maybe that actually contributed to their unique energy as the anti-sitcom family? Helped give some life and levity to their spookiness.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, color photos of black and white television studio sets are always wild because of how they had to use wildly different colors to get the right effect in monochrome. Some of the early color film processes were just as tricky to film, look up Cinecolor some time.

This was fascinating. I knew some of the process, but didn't know at all about the difference between the 2 color and 3 color processes. Explains a lot about some of the early color films I've seen, and why I've generally preferred black and white films from that era.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Check out make-up advice from the silent movie era. To get the contrast needed on early b&w film the actors were painted up like clown corpses - purple/green skin, yellow lips, blue eye shadow...

https://www.bustle.com/articles/30501-i-tried-a-vintage-film-makeup-tutorial-and-it-made-me-look-like-a-real-live

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Dec 31, 2020

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Loxbourne posted:

I have seen internet arguments over whether LEDs or incandescent bulbs are better. The all-time trophy still goes to the scale model hobbyists still fighting over the hull colours of Star Trek TOS ships. The original show knew the colours would shift under studio lighting and using 60s cameras, so the models are quite a different shade to how they appeared on screen and there are extra details that couldn't be seen in the broadcast. This could be a fascinating study of why colour palettes are actually serious considerations in the real world...but no, they have slapfights instead.

My theory is that these hobbies are about recreating beloved childhood memories or fantasies of the past, and anyone "doing it wrong" is contradicting your memory and therefore attacking your sense of self directly. That and (in the model railway world definitely) a hefty dose of racism.

A few years ago I was naked with a mate in a night club coming down from mushrooms and keta and god knows what else, and this guy comes up to us, high on coke, and starts an argument with my mate about which operating system is better, windows or mac. And after ten minutes of this ANOTHER GUY comes up and starts arguing with the first guy about linux

Human beings. I can only imagine the arguments from 100,000 years ago over which is the best stick for making fire

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Sulla Faex posted:

A few years ago I was naked with a mate in a night club coming down from mushrooms and keta and god knows what else, and this guy comes up to us, high on coke, and starts an argument with my mate about which operating system is better, windows or mac. And after ten minutes of this ANOTHER GUY comes up and starts arguing with the first guy about linux

Human beings. I can only imagine the arguments from 100,000 years ago over which is the best stick for making fire

...and ever since that day, Sulla Faex was no longer welcome at his local internet cafe.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Where the garish colours were specifically chosen because they looked drab and spooky on TV once they'd been filtered through the camera.

lmao

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Loxbourne posted:

yeah its like weebs and the like who have crafted their personality around liking some genre trash, and they take it as a personal insult if someone doesn't like the same things

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Same thing with early TV makeup - and even after colour TV appeared, lots of shows used very garish and unrealistic makeup so details wouldn't be lost on black and white sets.

http://cosmeticsandskin.com/aba/max-and-the-tube.php

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sulla Faex posted:

I think you're kinda burying the lead here—what kind of nightclub lets you get naked on drugs and how much is the cover charge?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

steinrokkan posted:

Same thing with early TV makeup - and even after colour TV appeared, lots of shows used very garish and unrealistic makeup so details wouldn't be lost on black and white sets.

http://cosmeticsandskin.com/aba/max-and-the-tube.php

It's why Frankenstein's monster is usually associated with being green in colour - 'cause that was the body paint that made him look palest with black and white.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I think you're kinda burying the lead here—what kind of nightclub lets you get naked on drugs and how much is the cover charge?

most of the gay ones, and usually like $10-20 (bring your own drugs)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Loxbourne posted:

If you ever want to see old American men have a huge internet slapfight, find a model railroading forum or FB community and ask about graffiti. The screaming will be heard for miles around.

Old white mother fuckers hate graffiti which should tell you just how awesome it can be*

*I guess so long as it's not effacing historical or natural beauty

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’ve been trolling r/trains the last month by commenting something like “beautiful engine but it really needs a few tags to make it pop” and I’ve been told to kill myself twice so far

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's so weird because I would probably go out of my way to take photos of my favorite train graffiti and faithfully reproduce them on my models, that seems really fun

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sulla Faex posted:

I can at least see the choice of stick for make fire being vital to your survival, there's far less of a chance that you're going to die from hypothermia if you can't get this Linux distro compiled

Brawnfire posted:

That's so weird because I would probably go out of my way to take photos of my favorite train graffiti and faithfully reproduce them on my models, that seems really fun

Yeah that actually sounds kinda dope. I can't picture building like thirty-five separate flatdecks with seacans on them and painting them all identically anticorrosion reddish-brown except there's a different serial number on each one.

Phy has a new favorite as of 09:55 on Jan 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Guessing there's a quiet but steep divide between modellers recreating the trains as ideal use case vs reality. Have seen some models recreating the train lines and scenery of small towns.

Also likely doesn't help that model trains kinda completely failed to appeal to younger generations and so you have a hobby imploding to the point of its primary fanbase being either old, obsessed or both, and the hobbyist argument equivalents of a knife fight in a phone booth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can’t believe that regressives would be disproportionately represented in a hobby that take a lot of time and money and frequently involves recreating models of bygone ways of life.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Well kitkat in Berlin, but like dont go if you dont want unsolicited blow jobs.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Zombiepop posted:

Well kitkat in Berlin, but like dont go if you dont want unsolicited blow jobs.
Well I'm hardly the most desired demographic in those sorts of establishments

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Phy posted:

I can at least see the choice of stick for make fire being vital to your survival, there's far less of a chance that you're going to die from hypothermia if you can't get this Linux distro compiled

2021 will be the year of the linux stovetop.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zombiepop posted:

unsolicited blow jobs.

Good username, imo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Samovar posted:

It's why Frankenstein's monster is usually associated with being green in colour - 'cause that was the body paint that made him look palest with black and white.

I always assumed that it was because the monster was made out of old, half rotten corpses. And that was the reason he was green. But your explanation makes more practical sense.

Unrelated edit:

Since y'all are talking about model train enthusiasts. What would happen to one of those fellows when their grand-daughter comes over and wants to play with their grandfather in his special basement, so brings along her toy Thomas the Tank Engine toy and starts toot-tooting it around his meticulously created model?

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Jan 2, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always assumed that it was because the monster was made out of old, half rotten corpses.

Well that doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the doctor have asked for fresh corpses? (No I haven't read the book, I left it on a bus before I got to the bit where he makes the meat order.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He's not even a doctor in the book. I think he's just a bored upper class university student.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

He's not even a doctor in the book. I think he's just a bored upper class university student.

Eh, what did you need to be a doctor in the 1700s - a supply of laudanum and a robe.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Unrelated edit:

Since y'all are talking about model train enthusiasts. What would happen to one of those fellows when their grand-daughter comes over and wants to play with their grandfather in his special basement, so brings along her toy Thomas the Tank Engine toy and starts toot-tooting it around his meticulously created model?

Viciously beaten.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

To be clear, there are plenty of people in the hobby who do have a sense of humour and would happily play trains with their granddaughter. I went to a show once where a guy had rigged up a train using a giant battery-operated hamster wheel, and ran it randomly through the display to mess with everyone. There's a wonderful company called Rapido Trains whose UK offices are near the old BBC studios where they used to film 70s Dr Who episodes, and they looted it for props and film videos where they visit people's layouts dressed as Cybermen. They build Easter eggs into their model's electronics that play Star Trek sound effects. Their catalogue refers anyone with complaints to their Customer Service Dalek.

It's just that every single one of them has an awkward "well, there was that time ol' Jim from the club invited me round to look at his exact-scale replica of the Neuremberg rally..." story.

Hornby apparently posted huge profits this year as the lockdown made everyone stay home and get their train sets out of storage, so maybe we'll get a resurgence.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also likely doesn't help that model trains kinda completely failed to appeal to younger generations and so you have a hobby imploding to the point of its primary fanbase being either old, obsessed or both, and the hobbyist argument equivalents of a knife fight in a phone booth.

I think the same is happening in other boomer hobbies, most obviously with old cars. Certain models (911s, VW buses, old exotics) are always going to have an audience, but old, mass-produced American iron? It's going under the gavel 24 hours after Gramps goes under himself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Guessing there's a quiet but steep divide between modellers recreating the trains as ideal use case vs reality. Have seen some models recreating the train lines and scenery of small towns.

Trains are poo poo now because they've been privatized to hell, so kids never even ride trains.

I'm sure this is the reason they don't get into model trains.

(The actual reason is it's an expensive hobby so only decrepit old STEMlords can afford it. See also: audiophilia.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The price is pretty reasonable for the craftsmanship in a moving model or a high detail scenery. I'd set aside money every month to partake, if there was anywhere remotely I could fit it. Nobody normal has that sort of space so back to train video games I guess.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
President Garfield lived for 80 days after he was shot. For much of that time, the doctors, believing that his intestine was punctured, tried to feed him food such as egg yolks and milk through his anus, along with whiskey and opium.

Also, the oft-repeated factoid that he was able to write Greek with one hand and Latin with the other simultaneously is apparently not true. He was ambidextrous and multi-lingual, though.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Jan 2, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

The price is pretty reasonable for the craftsmanship in a moving model or a high detail scenery. I'd set aside money every month to partake, if there was anywhere remotely I could fit it. Nobody normal has that sort of space so back to train video games I guess.

The space is the biggest expense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure most of the demographic that'd get into model trains are into Warhammer instead. Or Lego. Since you can actually get that stuff.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure most of the demographic that'd get into model trains are into Warhammer instead. Or Lego. Since you can actually get that stuff.

Or Gunpla as it's probably the most affordable form of modeling I can think of in terms of how affordable it can be to get into since the more basic sets are between ten and twenty bucks and the only necessary tool is something to cut the parts off the sprues(since unless you're building an ancient kit from the 80's or maybe one of the more extra expensive and complicated kits they don't need glue to be assembled) and one could easily just use a pair of nail clippers if they had to(though a decent tool kit for that kind of thing is also rather cheap to get)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rod Stewart is really into model trains. Apparently he's spends most of his time on tour for the last 25 years painting tiny trees and other props for his massive decades in the making track.

Even as a young rockstar in The Small Faces days he'd go to model train conventions in disguise.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I always assumed that it was because the monster was made out of old, half rotten corpses. And that was the reason he was green.

That is why Osiris was depicted as green (because he got killed, chopped into dozens of pieces and then his corpse was reassembled and reanimated), so that is definitely a mythological satisfying explanation for the skin color of a jigsaw man.

Franky went through a ton of colors in different depictions before universal marketed him as green on movie posters. I think it would not have caught on in pop culture the same way if he'd been some other color on the poster.