Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

naughty dog are also notorious for making you jump down a ledge/ off a cliff/ over the side of a building/through a hole in the ground you can't climb back out of in order to trigger progression in the narrative.

if you see something like that in front of you but you know there's stuff you haven't explored otherwise, go do the other stuff first.

Yeah, but I think the issue is that it's not always that obvious. I definitely missed out on fully exploring 2 or 3 sections of TLOU 2 because I had multiple paths in front of me and it wasn't clear which door was going to bring to a side area and which one was a point of no return. The one that annoyed me the most was the large building in Seattle where you go in through a window. I went straight for the stairs assuming it was a side area and stuff fell over and blocked me from exploring the rest of the building. When I finished I went back and the window was locked, so I missed exploring basically that whole building because my intuition about the critical path was wrong.

I do wish ND would do some subtle hint system that indicated you won't be able to turn around, especially as their games have gotten a lot more open than they used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the worst part in tlou2 so far is that boss that kills you in one hit and it’s pitch black and your roommates want the curtains open but it makes the screen glarey and you don’t know how to work hdr on your new tv so you just stand still spam pipe bombs until it dies

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

I mentioned this before the PS5 came out but FYI basically any PS4 game will still cost at least 10s of thousands of $ to make PS5 versions, so if there's not a huge demand or incentive to do it it's probably not going to happen that much at this point.

Definitely a major factor, but there's also the weird extra incentive that they can actually release the PS5 SKU in a new package and have it on shelves, it'll still sell despite the free upgrade for last gen owners. A lot of weird decisions go into that, like how a few Xbox 360 games got specially packaged in Xbox One-style cases specifically to sell to XB1 owners (and they even did this with CoD: AW even though it was already available as a native XB1 game). I fully expect there'll be another marketing push in late February for Yakuza: Like A Dragon with its impending PS5 release, especially in Asian territories since that'll be the first next gen version of the game they get (the Xbox and PC versions are EFIGS only).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cardiovorax posted:

Automata is pretty fun game and the combat feels good, but it's really not the deep and insightful experience that it might want to pretend it is at times. Excellent music, though. A Beautiful Song is one of the best boss tracks I've heard in ages, I actually listen to it sometimes just as normal music.

Eh it’s probably deeper than 99% of games and feels like it’s trying to say something. Which even for games with critically acclaimed stories they don’t really feel like they are trying that. Which isn’t a big deal but it’s nice to see a game be a bit more ambitious.

It’s also what’s nice about the Metal gear games even if Kojima isn’t a very good writer

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh it’s probably deeper than 99% of games and feels like it’s trying to say something.
Yeah, I mean, it does, but that's not really all that high of a bar either, you know what I mean?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I think it gets criticized unfairly for having ‘bad combat’ when it’s actually really good, and better than most games but gets treated unfairly because it was developed by Platinum, but falls a bit flat compared to the combat of like Bayonetta, or Astral Chain, which was developed by the Nier: Automata combat director. Something Awful forums user RazzleDazzleHour made this guide for the game’s combat that’s really good and shows off a lot of mechanics that aren’t explained in game https://youtu.be/ELOdgQHWxnU

Also the DLC’s colosseum fights are a lot better and is a good example of how fun the combat can be. Someone itt once said that it’s mainly the enemies and the lack of variety that’s actually the bad part, but when the enemies are good, the combat feels a lot better

boz
Oct 16, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh it’s probably deeper than 99% of games and feels like it’s trying to say something. Which even for games with critically acclaimed stories they don’t really feel like they are trying that. Which isn’t a big deal but it’s nice to see a game be a bit more ambitious.

It’s also what’s nice about the Metal gear games even if Kojima isn’t a very good writer

My favorite part about the game is that you can tell how they feel about achievements.

You can buy all the achievements you don't have from a vendor.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh it’s probably deeper than 99% of games and feels like it’s trying to say something.

It's not. Play something not published by one of the really big names and you might be pleasantl--oh, right. I am quite certain you wouldn't know decent writing if it insulted you to your face.

Of course setting an impossibly high bar and then bitching when something doesn't manage to clear it is real familiar behavior.

Did you know Steve Blum played Ludger Brink in the Spielberg directed, Orson Scott Card written The Dig?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Watching the credits of Cyberpunk and the game crashed. It's a sign I need to move on to a different game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Casnorf posted:

It's not. Play something not published by one of the really big names and you might be pleasantl--oh, right. I am quite certain you wouldn't know decent writing if it insulted you to your face.

Of course setting an impossibly high bar and then bitching when something doesn't manage to clear it is real familiar behavior.

Did you know Steve Blum played Ludger Brink in the Spielberg directed, Orson Scott Card written The Dig?

Hostile little man ain’t cha

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hostile little man ain’t cha

Ain't had my scotch this evening. Got me the shakes and by pure happenstance vibrated my way into a post that's a teensy bit hostile toward a guy who is consistently unable to lear--oh smooches smooches slobber smooch

I have trouble continuing on in Kentucky Route Zero because I already have too many emotions and I don't know what to do with all of them! How can I handle any more?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I’m also like halfway through Kentucky Route Zero, it’s good, but so is Nier. It’s pretty silly to deny that Nier does unique things with it’s narrative and the medium in a unique way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dehumanize your self and face to bluegrass

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Casnorf posted:

Ain't had my scotch this evening. Got me the shakes and by pure happenstance vibrated my way into a post that's a teensy bit hostile toward a guy who is consistently unable to lear--oh smooches smooches slobber smooch

I have trouble continuing on in Kentucky Route Zero because I already have too many emotions and I don't know what to do with all of them! How can I handle any more?

Yeah self loathing sucks I will pray for you to post better

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Imhotep posted:

I think it gets criticized unfairly for having ‘bad combat’ when it’s actually really good
Does it? Bad combat is pretty much the one thing I don't think I've seen a lot of people criticize the game for. Combat in Automata is good and pretty strong. Not the best Platinum has ever done, but it's by no means bad at all.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

I was thinking about doing some self-reflection and starting the truly monumental task of trying to acknowledge where I might be wrong and how I can change.

Does your way work?

I thought Arcanum had some outstanding writing. You'll find people who hate gnomes to this day because of that game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It did, although I'm not sure I'd use that as the example for it. Gnome Rape Island is widely considered the worst, most tone-deaf and blisteringly stupid writing misstep in that entire game. Touching a nerve with a particularly vile idea like that isn't necessarily good writing. Anyone can do "shocking."

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

ZeeBoi posted:

Nioh is often tough and sometimes really bullshit but it never pisses me off. Such a good game.

Ugh, I got to the spiders. Why is it always the spiders that gently caress me up. :(

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

It did, although I'm not sure I'd use that as the example for it. Gnome Rape Island is widely considered the worst, most tone-deaf and blisteringly stupid writing misstep in that entire game. Touching a nerve with a particularly vile idea like that isn't necessarily good writing. Anyone can do "shocking."

Point. Most of the rest of what's great requires a lot of context and characterization, not pithy one liners and shitposts.

I was genuinely surprised by how decent and heartfelt the writing in the Psycho-Krieg Borderlands 3 DLC was. Anyone who has actually dealt with depression and mental illness firsthand will recognize it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's rich coming from an owner of the coveted "Worst Games Poster" avatar

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Casnorf posted:

Point. Most of the rest of what's great requires a lot of context and characterization, not pithy one liners and shitposts.
If I had to name my favourite part of it, it would be that I'm still not sure that the big bad and his plan that is revealed at the end would've really been the wrong thing to do. That's some real and well-written moral ambiguity right there.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Cardiovorax posted:

Does it? Bad combat is pretty much the one thing I don't think I've seen a lot of people criticize the game for. Combat in Automata is good and pretty strong. Not the best Platinum has ever done, but it's by no means bad at all.

I’ve seen it a lot in this thread, at least enough that I remembered someone’s defense of the game’s combat as being good but lacking enemy variety, or that most common enemies were boring to fight. Which is probably the thing that Nier is criticized the least for, tbf.

Edit: why is Elden Ring trending on Twitter for no reason, I hate this

imhotep fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 2, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a leak or some concept art a few days ago by a pretty reliable source in the Souls community.

Subscribe to this youtube account for daily Elden Ring news updates.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For the record I thing N:A actually does have really good writing and some pretty interesting things to say but also a lot of Inception level "WHOA" moments that are clearly meant to be huge revelations but anyone with a pulse can see them coming. not all of the twists, but certainly some of them. The game is just not as smart as it thinks it is, or is trying to be... OR it doesn't respect the audience enough to get subtext and so they just add it to the normal text, multiple times.

The problem i have with the combat in retrospect is that there's this really awesome combat system that the base game never asks you to use and it's surprisingly grindy to unlock and upgrade anything approaching a "build" so it has that issue where by the time youre all kitted out like a true endgame RPG character, you've essentially mastered the game because you've been grinding for like 4 hours to upgrade your weapons and support robots awesome ninja robot powers.

So i don't really hate it but the gameplay never felt engaging (outside of the bullet hell hacking which i liked, 9S is a better playthrough than 2B) but i do think anyone who skipped it missed out on one of the biggest games of the generation.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The worst part about nier automatas combat is that it is entirely optional yet it still makes you sit around and watch it resolve itself.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm a little late to the DOOM Eternal train but I grabbed it in the holiday sale and while I like most of the combat changes one thing that feels strange narratively is why they ditched the permanent first person POV? I'm only a couple levels deep but every cutscene has been 'character exposits at Doomguy who either does nothing or menacingly cocks a shotgun' and like, I didn't need to see him for that. They also cut away to show a path has been cleared (like in level two when you use the big mech arms to shoot open cave walls) but that totally feels like a thing that could've been seen from where you're standing if they'd just changed up the path perspective a little bit.

It's a really baffling change but other than that I'm enjoying it! Playing on hard I only died a dozen times to one combat arena in the middle of level two so I'm already doing better than the first game.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

The worst part about nier automatas combat is that it is entirely optional yet it still makes you sit around and watch it resolve itself.

Should have been a pure bullet hell shooter imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Watching the credits of Cyberpunk and the game crashed. It's a sign I need to move on to a different game.

Hahaha amazing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm a little late to the DOOM Eternal train but I grabbed it in the holiday sale and while I like most of the combat changes one thing that feels strange narratively is why they ditched the permanent first person POV? I'm only a couple levels deep but every cutscene has been 'character exposits at Doomguy who either does nothing or menacingly cocks a shotgun' and like, I didn't need to see him for that. They also cut away to show a path has been cleared (like in level two when you use the big mech arms to shoot open cave walls) but that totally feels like a thing that could've been seen from where you're standing if they'd just changed up the path perspective a little bit.

It's a really baffling change but other than that I'm enjoying it! Playing on hard I only died a dozen times to one combat arena in the middle of level two so I'm already doing better than the first game.

The storytelling in Eternal is absolutely abysmal. It feels like they added the entire “plot” about a week from release.
I know people don’t play Doom games for their story but I found the ham-fisted approach to narrative really distracting the whole time. I had no idea what was supposed to be happening so it kept taking me out of the game whenever a cutscene would dump loads of nonsense lore.

This goes for the DLC too, any time gravelly voiced robot starts going on about Khan Makyrs or Urdak or ancient evil you can just tune out.

The gameplay is great though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

holy loving poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-DtICmPTY

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Wolfsheim posted:

DOOM Eternal

Playing on hard

:thunk:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This non-editor-having dude played himself

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that's one profound chunk of anime slice-of-life game culture history lesson, but fuckin wow @ how he wraps it into cyberpunk 2077, persona, castlevania, the witcher, snatcher, policenauts, night trap, yakuza, visual novels, dating sims, loneliness epidemics, 80s and 90s jpop scene and whatever the hell else

i just can't even

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 2, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The storytelling in Eternal is absolutely abysmal. It feels like they added the entire “plot” about a week from release.
I know people don’t play Doom games for their story but I found the ham-fisted approach to narrative really distracting the whole time. I had no idea what was supposed to be happening so it kept taking me out of the game whenever a cutscene would dump loads of nonsense lore.

This goes for the DLC too, any time gravelly voiced robot starts going on about Khan Makyrs or Urdak or ancient evil you can just tune out.

The gameplay is great though.

The story in Doom Eternal is bad but it doesn't actually come from nowhere, it's more or less a direct sequel to Doom 64.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am so excited to watch all of that loving Tim Rogers video

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the absolute madman

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there any recomendations for inexpensive bluetooth earbuds that work with Ps4? My Monster Achives won't connect and I realized this would solve my issues with my wired headphones draining the dualshocks battery.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oh what the gently caress is this. six hours, lmao gently caress off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PS4 does not support audio over Bluetooth, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Midjack posted:

oh what the gently caress is this. six hours, lmao gently caress off.

lol i know :swoon: