Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

If it'll help, I can post some of my stuff so you'll feel better

It probably will, at least we won't think everyone else is a competition-level master painter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lemme x-post my year in review from the 40k thread.

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh yeah. I've forgotten to post my painting haul for 2020.

Not shown is a couple of AoS models I painted this year as well.

Plans for this year is just to somehow chew through the rest of my backlog/pile of shame. I still haven't gotten my Ripper Jackson model yet so I have that one to look forward to.
And then I hopefully might start working on my own RG successor chapter to clear out some Marines I have. Settling on a colour scheme for them is a pain though.

And the missing AoS models:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 2, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My first smoll angry man of the year painted.

I can see from my pictures that I need to work on my edge highlighting.

And it's going to take me a lot of practice and patience to be better at painting very tiny letters and words on scrolls.

Also, I should scrape bumps and whatever off bases.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

AndyElusive posted:

And it's going to take me a lot of practice and patience to be better at painting very tiny letters and words on scrolls.

While it’s good to recognize where you can improve, don’t lose sight of the fact that this guy looks great.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I bet that actually looks great in person. Edge highlighting that looks amazing to a camera three inches away is often too subtle for a dude that needs to stand out on a tabletop.

And thanks to everyone for the advice on space ships. It's such a niche area and manufacturer websites are so awful that it's helpful to hear from people with experience.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I bet that actually looks great in person. Edge highlighting that looks amazing to a camera three inches away is often too subtle for a dude that needs to stand out on a tabletop.

Yeah, I had massively upgraded my painting setup last year and the first thing I did with it was paint a bunch of subtle highlights that aren't visible on the table

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
What's this? Folk want to see clumsy beginner work?!

Can't believe the difference washes make. This is a whole new world. Haven't decided what to do about the base here, I mean is it flying or what?

I know there are mould lines but in person I literally can't see em with my dumb eyes so I'm not gonna worry.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Happy New Year all. I'm looking for recommendations for a tackle box or art box of some kind to consolidate all of my paints, brushes, clippers, etc into. Any of you have one that you really like?

I'm looking around and most of them look like they'd work just fine but maybe one of you is particularly happy with their storage setup.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

HopperUK posted:

What's this? Folk want to see clumsy beginner work?!

I'll get in on this trend.

They're both unfinished, but I'm fairly pleased with both the colour scheme and how the red and flesh contrast paints came out.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Oh are we showing off lovely beginner work?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hell, all these beginner paintjobs aren't lovely at all, they're just early works. Keep at it and show your progress, and you'll be cranking out great stuff in no time.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Here's my completed work for 2020:

I think my favorite part was the plaid I painted on the Bladeguard

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

First model of 2021, my witch-elf for the Druchii Pirates:

Everyone in the local hobby scene is so fuckin' grim-dark, with Blanchitsu pouring out their ears, so I just wanted to go nuts with cartoony colours.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Well if we're posting first things of 2021, here's what I finished yesterday - 3 Zhanshi from Infinity, and 3 Nonce Valley Fancylads from Blood Bowl

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

My xmas present indominos box progress. Looks good from a distance :)

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 2, 2021

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
here's to the clumsy beginners sharing their work! don't be intimidated by all the incredible painters that post here. everyone started out like you, and the truth is 95% of this hobby is just absorbing enough tricks, hacks, and techniques and practicing applying them to their best effect for a long enough time that you fool everyone into thinking you know what you are doing.

no earnest attempt to do your best is unwelcome on a table or in a post, no matter how bad you think it is! save these pictures so when you gain more skills you can look back and see how far you've come :)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
100%.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and there's a bunch of people no doubt reading this thread right now who want to either get into painting, or sharing what they've painted and don't want to be embarrassed.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Paint boldly and enjoy yourself.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Several weeks (months?) back I posted in the 40k thread about a kitbash + conversion army I'm working on, essentially a space marine chapter that was wiped out in some cataclysmic battle and reanimated centuries later by a rogue librarian. It's been a mixed bag so far; the conversion aspect is straightforward enough (if time consuming), but I really should've learned and practiced weathering techniques before I started painting these goobers.

At any rate, I am nearly finished with this dreadnought. I think I need to ugly it up a little more since the lower front of the...head?...looks a bit too clean, but I haven't quite figured out how to do that. Mud splatters? I would welcome suggestions, if anyone has some.

And here's a skeleton with a rocket launcher, why not:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Communist Walrus posted:

Several weeks (months?) back I posted in the 40k thread about a kitbash + conversion army I'm working on, essentially a space marine chapter that was wiped out in some cataclysmic battle and reanimated centuries later by a rogue librarian. It's been a mixed bag so far; the conversion aspect is straightforward enough (if time consuming), but I really should've learned and practiced weathering techniques before I started painting these goobers.

At any rate, I am nearly finished with this dreadnought. I think I need to ugly it up a little more since the lower front of the...head?...looks a bit too clean, but I haven't quite figured out how to do that. Mud splatters? I would welcome suggestions, if anyone has some.

And here's a skeleton with a rocket launcher, why not:

Consider the environment this thing has been lying in for centuries. Is it muddy? Dry and dusty? Would moss or vines have grown over the dreadnought as it laid there? If you think about that it might give you a good direction of what to add to it to make more parts of it look old and weathered.

Also, side note, this is really, really cool. Love the conversions and love the theme. Just awesome.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Have you considered dirtying up that skeleton? Maybe so greenstuff spider serum if you have an airbrush?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

inscrutable horse posted:

First model of 2021, my witch-elf for the Druchii Pirates:

Everyone in the local hobby scene is so fuckin' grim-dark, with Blanchitsu pouring out their ears, so I just wanted to go nuts with cartoony colours.

This rules. Dark eldar? Naw, Jort eldar.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

TotalHell posted:

Consider the environment this thing has been lying in for centuries. Is it muddy? Dry and dusty? Would moss or vines have grown over the dreadnought as it laid there? If you think about that it might give you a good direction of what to add to it to make more parts of it look old and weathered.

The environment is something else I'm still trying to figure out. The color scheme is supposed to be a nod to the Tomb Kings so I thought a conventional earth-like desert would be the obvious choice, but that'd be too many tan/sandy colors. Now I'm leaning towards a red Mars-like desert, which would fit the TK theme, provide a nice contrast to the tan, and match the red accent colors on the models' armor. Another idea is a ruined industrial sprawl/metal scrapheap, which wouldn't be as thematic but could provide more weathering options. I suppose what I should do is create example bases for each and see which one I like better.

w00tmonger posted:

Have you considered dirtying up that skeleton? Maybe so greenstuff spider serum if you have an airbrush?

Most definitely. I was wondering if he looked a little too clean, so thank you for noting it. The spider serum stuff looks pretty neat and cobwebs weren't something I'd considered. I'll keep it in mind as I settle on the environment.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Crossposting from the 40K thread. Among the many Warhammer items I got for Xmas this year was a Chaos Predator for my Thousand Sons which I’ve been working on. Unfortunately while it’s sponson guns are now finished I won’t be able to take decent pictures for another week, so here’s a WIP.

It’s fully magnetised, so I can swap out the main turret gun and sponson guns (or lose them entirely) for some decent flexibility. I’ll be adding some Stirland Mud to the tracks once I can get hold of some.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

When airbrushing do you need to use primer? I see several people using regular acrylics on bare plastic and I'm not sure if I'm just missing something

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

When airbrushing do you need to use primer? I see several people using regular acrylics on bare plastic and I'm not sure if I'm just missing something

I always prime. Rattlecan? Prime first. Airbrush? Prime first. Hand brushing? Prime first.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Primer on plastic isn't TECHNICALLY necessary, but paint is more likely to chip from handling if primer isn't present. Primer on metal IS absolutely necessary.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Verisimilidude posted:

Are they painting Reaper minis? The plastic they use interacts very badly with some primers so a lot of people just skip it and varnish after the initial basecoat instead.

Aside from that edge case, not using primer is just a lazy shortcut that you end up paying for later if you plan on handling the mini at all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Verisimilidude posted:

Are you sure they arent just using a grey primer?

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

How do you prime models in the winter? I read that spraying primer onto a model in the cold and wet conditions isn't good

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

a pale ghost posted:

How do you prime models in the winter? I read that spraying primer onto a model in the cold and wet conditions isn't good

A) Brush-on primer

B) Airbrush

C) Keep the mini and rattle can inside and warm, run out, spray, run back in for the mini to cure inside. Repeat as needed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

a pale ghost posted:

It has less to do with the temperature and more to do with the humidity / dew point, although I don't know specifics beyond "humidity bad" unfortunately.

Airbrushing is probably the best option. Hair-brush-on primer (never tried it, sounds like a PITA), huff fumes in your basement or a well ventilated garage are kinda your only options. I know people who basically just don't prime anything from like November - April though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

You could do this but if you already have an airbrush you might as well prime it. Priming with an airbrush should take like 2 or 3 minutes and not obscure any detail while making the paint job much more durable. Acrylic paint doesn't really bond to plastic at all, I wouldn't be surprised if your paint would come off from regular handling or, like, drybrushing, if you don't prime.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I was mistaken, they were using Molotow marker paint as a primer, which I didn't realize is a very durable acrylic paint that acts as a primer.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've successfully primed some bases in Canadian winter, although I waited for the warmest part of the day (around 0 C) and it had been raining/snowing so the humidity was around 45%. Low humidity is as bad as high humidity in my limited experience. Temperature doesn't matter too much unless you're dealing with temperatures below -15 C. Basically, you don't usually paint in the cold because the exterior paint I've seen wont cure below 5 C, but since you can bring what you've primed inside it isn't as big a deal. And as above, keep your rattlecan warm.

Airbrushing is definitely the dream but it's going to be a long time before I can justify one.

But yeah the major limitation for winter is humidity levels. Bases were easy because it was one quick coat of some Corax White I had lying around, I would just wait for warmer weather if you were doing the models themselves, or any kind of zenithal highlighting.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 3, 2021

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah, as always, get an Airbrush.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dreylad posted:

I've successfully primed some bases in Canadian winter, although I waited for the warmest part of the day (around 0 C) and it had been raining/snowing so the humidity was around 45%. Low humidity is as bad as high humidity in my limited experience. Temperature doesn't matter too much unless you're dealing with temperatures below -15 C. Basically, you don't usually paint in the cold because the exterior paint I've seen wont cure below 5 C, but since you can bring what you've primed inside it isn't as big a deal. And as above, keep your rattlecan warm.

Airbrushing is definitely the dream but it's going to be a long time before I can justify one.

But yeah the major limitation for winter is humidity levels. Bases were easy because it was one quick coat of some Corax White I had lying around, I would just wait for warmer weather if you were doing the models themselves, or any kind of zenithal highlighting.

I've been priming and airbrushing outside on my patio throughout the endless rain of Vancouver Winter and it's worked out alright except for the part where sometimes it's so god drat grey I can't see what I'm doing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just as I was finishing this guy, I thought, "I bet white shoulderpads / knee pads would look baller" so I guess that'll be my next "Proof Of Concept" model, but I finally finished (sans base) my first model of the year and got 4 more half way done.

I've decided to airbrush as much as I can just to learn the tool; the cool thing with Death Guard is that any overspray can just be covered up with some grime / weathering techniques :downs:

e; man Turboshift paints are hard to photo well :v: Looks less goofy IRL

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm not 100 on this base concept yet, I think I need to leave a little more ground texture on the base so it doesn't look like just a giant pile of crystals (which is still cool, though)

Phthalocyanine blue is strong as heck though

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That is a cool base, how'd you make it?

If you want any ideas for the base Hobby Cheating just today published some "alien" (Tzeentch) basing video that is very cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaiekmch_pY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I think it might be a little too non-descript? Probably just from how blue it is.

Anyway it's Crackle Base first and then Recycled Glass Medium on top for the texture coloured with blue and violet ink