Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Steakandchips posted:

You said the SV650S is more comfortable than the CBF500, you mean ergo wise, or "comfort" as in you are more comfortable overtaking using the SV650? Your follow on sentence implies the latter, but best to clarify!

Both the cbf500 and the SV are quick enough for easy overtaking, though the 500 is slower of course. If you are low in the revs in top gear, expect car-like acceleration on the cb500f.
They were carb'd but with catalytic converter until 2007 or so.

But i mean more that it's more pleasant to sit on the SV. The seat is plush (from the 1999 model), the ride is very smooth (up to the point that many people replace the stock springs because they want better handling). The SV -s has just a hint of sporty in the seating position which feels to me as a 'secure' seating position.
The 2017 non-S sv650 is pretty upright, like the cb500. It's also narrower than the 1999 SV. I don't recall much about the seating comfort, but it is extremely chuckable and feels much lighter than the old SV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there anything obviously wrong with this, other than its not yellow?
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/d/riverside-2017-dr650se/7254525687.html

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It is also exactly like the Vitara in that you can't find one for anything approaching a rational price because the internet has convinced a generation of people they're the thing to have.

Judging from all the posts from the local guys who teach supermoto (Socal Supermoto), it really is a pain to find somewhat decent DRZs at reasonable prices.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Judging from all the posts from the local guys who teach supermoto (Socal Supermoto), it really is a pain to find somewhat decent DRZs at reasonable prices.

It was pretty bad a few years ago.
I rebuilt a blown up partially parted out drz as it made more sense than buying a bike with questionable history for 5-6k that'll probably go pop on the third ride. Drzs typically get used properly and the owners are devout enough to hang onto them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is a lot you can say about the drz but “fickle electronics” I don’t think is one of those things.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I wish Suzuki would build EFI versions of the DRZ400 or DR650 so Euro compliant countries could get them. Carbed ones are rare as hen's teeth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pun pundit posted:

I wish Suzuki would build EFI versions of the DRZ400 or DR650 so Euro compliant countries could get them. Carbed ones are rare as hen's teeth.

The 650 will never, ever see efi because the engine is completely incapable of meeting euro V so they'll just stop making them eventually.

The 400 should be updatable enough to do it but it would cost money and effort and well it's Suzuki we're talking about.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
There is a EFI 6 speed drz. It's a 07-09ish GasGas FSE450 or 515.
Same-ish yoshi engine with a different wrapper.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is a lot you can say about the drz but “fickle electronics” I don’t think is one of those things.

$575 stators that last ~20 thousand miles? yeah. Putting not just one but two in my bike really soured me on the platform. The stock S/SM gauges are a treat though :discourse:

E: FSE year clarification.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 1, 2021

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

Hit up the Motorcycle store today for a new helmet. I can't fit my Icon Airflite since growing my hair out.

Looked at bikes while there. They had a Tracer 900 and a V-Strom 1050. Both very likely candidates to replace Blossom the Fat Harley.

Blossom gets about a month more of riding time this winter before I decide, I think.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fauxtool posted:

is there anything obviously wrong with this, other than its not yellow?
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/d/riverside-2017-dr650se/7254525687.html

I don't like yellow ones so that's great! Really, the only thing against it is the dream of a $2000ish old DR650, but that's silly. This one looks to be in great condition and it's a winner of a bike. If you have the money, go for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

There is a EFI 6 speed drz. It's a 07-09ish GasGas FSE450 or 515.
Same-ish yoshi engine with a different wrapper.

$575 stators that last ~20 thousand miles? yeah. Putting not just one but two in my bike really soured me on the platform. The stock S/SM gauges are a treat though :discourse:

E: FSE year clarification.

I've seen exactly one of those in my life and that explains the uncanny sensation that I'd seen one before.

Similar to how the cf-moto motards are a secret humble weapon because they have the pre-bmw husqvarna enduro motor in them.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Slavvy posted:

The Miata is the ex250.

A drz is more like a Suzuki Vitara with sick moddz aka still far too slow to kill you while being more fun than the 'fastest' way to skin the same cat.

Whats the SV650? A Toyota Camry?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

SV650 is a 350Z

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

SV650 is a 350Z

I was gonna say an sr20 equipped silvia but that's probably closer.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

It was pretty bad a few years ago.
I rebuilt a blown up partially parted out drz as it made more sense than buying a bike with questionable history for 5-6k that'll probably go pop on the third ride. Drzs typically get used properly and the owners are devout enough to hang onto them.

My buddy bought a pristine example with low miles for $5k last year, but once covid hit I haven't seen any sort of deal like that this year

FBS posted:

SV650 is a 350Z

As a former 350Z owner, I can't disagree with this. Perfectly competent and I loved the car, then I drove my friend's 2002 M3 and realized what I was missing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Are there any catches with 0 APR offers from manufacturers? Assuming you get a out the door price you like.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Russian Bear posted:

Are there any catches with 0 APR offers from manufacturers? Assuming you get a out the door price you like.

The "catch" is from the dealers who will try to tack on as many extra charges as possible at the last minute. Before you sign that contract, get a final OTD price with all charges then compare it to the total cost of what your bank can do (even though they might charge you some interest).

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

not with KTM at my local dealer at least. they let me roll in my electronics package and some other hard parts poo poo too because at 0%, why not?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hey guys, just spitballing here. I haven't ridden in a few years, sold my last bike, an FZ6, after a few years experience. Maybe getting the bike bug again. What is CAs thoughts on those newer Bonneville T120s? It would mainly be for nice weather commuting and weekend warrior stuff.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Hey guys, just spitballing here. I haven't ridden in a few years, sold my last bike, an FZ6, after a few years experience. Maybe getting the bike bug again. What is CAs thoughts on those newer Bonneville T120s? It would mainly be for nice weather commuting and weekend warrior stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOY2iTf2GQ8

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well poo poo, that was amazing haha

A bike I would be perfectly whelmed with I guess is what I would be looking for. Looks like maybe I should be looking at the T100 too. But all those extras on the T120 make it really difficult uggggh

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tuono 660, its not out yet, but is anything obviously wrong with it? Never owned anything not japanese, but the looks are too much to not buy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

tuono 660, its not out yet, but is anything obviously wrong with it? Never owned anything not japanese, but the looks are too much to not buy.

I've engaged the quantum psychic analysis device and I'm receiving a signal and....yes....yes it's a clear indication: it's Italian.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Modern Italian bikes will still have a little quirkiness* compared to Japanese, but not as much as they used to. Aprilia is pretty good these days, they magazines have loved the 1100s and love the 660s so far. The 660 is a lopped off 1100 so it should be reliable ish.

* character and stuff that makes you go "why the gently caress did they do this that way"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The v4 is a terrible, terrible bike from a design/quality perspective. I've now worked on several and honestly Ducati are still head and shoulders better than the other euros, which puts them roughly by yamahonda's feet. I liked triumph before I realised just how often they break.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its going to be a secondary bike to a yamaha and its never going to be my only way to get to work. It if can sit still in my garage without lighting on fire thats most of what i want out of it

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Looking at whats on sale these days. What would you guys suggest?

Background: Had a 2003 SV650s that I both commuted on and rode on track days a dozen times or so and got rid of in 2015.

Always liked the Daytona 675, which I dont see anymore. Is that dead?

Can find a local 2019 SV650X with ABS for $5450 or a 2020 SV650 for $5450. Both of which are non fairing versions which....not as big of a fan of.

Whats the difference with GSX-S compared to GSX-R? The GSX-S750/1000 are showing up a bit as half fairing bikes compared to the R6/R1.

I see Yamaha has a MT07 and Triumph has a Street Triple that looks like that would be more half fairing as well.

What should I aim for with under 10 grand for a new bike with a plan for a few track days and a few fun runs with no commuting anymore? Im not looking to be the fastest wheels out there but enough grunt to have fun so dont suggest a Grom lol (alright that was probably mean because a Grom would be a lot of fun on my neighborhood streets at 35mph)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

3 cylinders is where it's at these days. The Street Triple is absolutely nuts, it's basically got the Moto2 engine. Probably gonna cost you that whole $10k though. The MT07 MT09 isn't quite as fast but it's definitely a great value.

Edit: vvvv Oops wrong MT.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 11, 2021

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The MT09 is the Yamaha triple, and in SP Trim it stickers at $10,999. The suspension on the regular trim sucks, bigly, so if you're planning on doing a fair amount of track riding I wouldn't gently caress with it unless you immediately plan to throw a new shock and fork cartridges at it. MT07 is a parallel twin, but a really good one, and would leave you more $ for track stuff.

If you're serious about not needing beaucoups power and are going to be riding track a fair bit, don't neglect the R3/Ninja 400

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The Daytona is dead unless you want to buy one of the special edition D765s for $17k. Which admittedly look cool, but I think are overpriced at that point. What about a lightly used R6 (2017 and up)?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
See more like the 2012 Aprilia Tuono you saved

old mustang convertible
honda odyssey
red Chevy s-10 pickup
2001 Mack dump truck
baby yoda green bay packers sticker

Thanks Facebook marketplace

Slavvy posted:

The v4 is a terrible, terrible bike from a design/quality perspective.

Yes the early 3rd gen tuonos are ugly. so ugly. But they are getting to be consistently under $7500 US. And the second gen rotax vtwin ones are under 5 large now. But mechanically, the v4s? No good?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't say I've worked on enough of them to have a proper sample size. But I've worked on three, all of them had gently caress all mileage and were relatively new but already had mechanical issues like oil weeping, abnormal fuelling/throttle behavior, flaking finish and so on.

They're also just really poor quality in a touchy feely sense - the switches look like they're from a vespa (they are), the bodywork is super brittle and thin like you only find on Chinese scooters and vespas, all the fasteners are just really crap looking etc. They also thought putting the engine ecu on the inside of the lh fairing was a good idea so if you have a driveway fall your bike is hosed. Right under it is the FBW actuator so if you have a moderate crash your bike is really hosed.

Also all the bolts had 'Aprilia racing' extremely poorly screen printed on the heads, almost all of them totally off center, I know this doesn't matter it but bugs me and screams 'crap bike'.

The v-twin is very well regarded as they seem to hold up well.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Christ this always happen when I start bike shopping. Now I really want a drz400sm.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Christ this always happen when I start bike shopping. Now I really want a drz400sm.

the HHH Miata

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

it's funny bc my first priority is to get a drz400sm with blue wheels. then probably a t-dub.

But i would eventually love a highway bike, and it would be a great excuse to buy an Italian, like a scrambler icon by ducati lifestyle tm or a rotax tuono. Or a cheap v4 tuono. the cosmetic stuff is worrying, for what it may mean for build quality... but I'll burn that bridge when i get to it.

I've ridden a newer v4 tuono and it felt stable and comfortable at all speeds, like it could just keep going no matter how fast you wanted to go. I love the idea of getting one of those for like 5k and just messing around on it. APRC and a big huge liter-sized V4 blasting down the highway and go up to WI and zoom around the hills. yep.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am also considering another (my third!) drz400sm to take trail riding

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am also considering another (my third!) drz400sm to take trail riding

Is there a major difference between a stock DRZ and one that's had the "usual" mods done to it (rejet, 3x3, exhaust)? What about with an FCR carb?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is a small difference with a rejet, 3x3 and exhaust. Mostly smoothing out of flat spots and some more pep at the top of the rev range. Very good mods to make for a better daily driver.

An FCR is like a motor swap. It doesn’t make much more peak power, but the way it makes it is wildly different

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Okay I really like the look of this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Okay I really like the look of this too

Everyone: "Listen Ducati, you can't just throw on some blue jeans, roll a pack of Marlies into your sleeve, and light up a smoke, and think you look cool. That's not how it works."

Ducati Scrambler: *walks in wearing blue jeans, with a pack of Marlies rolled into its sleeve, smoking a ciggy* "scusi?"

Everyone: "gently caress."