Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It's something when the thing I can be most critical about in a film is that some of the CGI in the climactic scene is every-so-slightly cartoonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think that Fury Road is the closest we can come to a perfect movie.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If the Academy Awards had a "Most Awesome Movie" category it would have won that.

Miller got robbed on director though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I like to imagine AW was partially responsible.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

mllaneza posted:

Miller got robbed on director though.
Which is wild, because of all the recent aging directors who have returned to revisit the properties or films that made them famous decades ago (*coughLucasSpielbergRidleyScottcough*), literally only George Miller has managed to stick the landing. He's the only one.

It's not just that he made a fantastic movie, it's not just that he made a fantastic Mad Max movie, it's that he made a fantastic Mad Max movie after letting the ground lie fallow for thirty loving years, and then picked it up again, dusted it off, and started it right back up without a hitch*.

*Actually a nightmare shooting schedule with multiple catastrophic hitches, but whatevs.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm so impressed by the feel of Fury Road, because I think it informed AW but I think that Fury Road helped to break out of the dark greys we often associate with apocalypses. Making it garish has helped a lot I think.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Josef bugman posted:

I'm so impressed by the feel of Fury Road, because I think it informed AW but I think that Fury Road helped to break out of the dark greys we often associate with apocalypses. Making it garish has helped a lot I think.

AW is like 5 years older than FR.

Honestly it's pretty interesting that Road Warrior seemed to have such a long shadow over all sorts of fiction really just on aesthetic, cuz I don't think people really gave a poo poo about its plot or characters.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Zurui posted:

It's something when the thing I can be most critical about in a film is that some of the CGI in the climactic scene is every-so-slightly cartoonish.

I thought so too untill I saw the making of that scene. That was a physical prop moved around in front of green screen on wires. How they made an actual object feel like bad CGI I will never know.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Making it garish has helped a lot I think.

Tulip posted:

Honestly it's pretty interesting that Road Warrior seemed to have such a long shadow over all sorts of fiction really just on aesthetic

Garish reinforces the core concept: There will be big loud car chases with big loud cars.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I've just started a new campaign of Apoc World 2e on Roll20 with some IRL friends who started playing D&D online with me last summer - been a real lifeline for us as we're split by the Irish diaspora and of course haven't been able to travel.

For a palate cleanser for 5e we've tried a few different games and I've been edging in the more collaborative games because I love them - everyone intuitively grokked The Quiet Year, which I thought would be a good gateway drug.

First session of AW went really well, but I was wondering - does anyone have a smooth way of doing threat maps online? I kind of think at the minute that the best way is to just do them the old-fashioned way on paper on my desk, or maybe put a template into Paint?

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

I've been running an Uncharted Worlds game via Roll20 for the last year or so. It's been really good, and there's a lot of buy-in on the table. It's been pretty inspiring to see the sheer amount of creativity that has been on display. It's inspired me to write a whole bunch of homebrew playbooks and then start a second campaign with a different group of friends. Let me share what I've written.

Infiltrator

Biomutant

Mecha Pilot

Janus

Sessile

Mach Trooper

Scorned

Cephalon

Handybot

Hybrid

Raider

Collective

The Meek

The Ingenu

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What are people's thoughts on backing the second edition of Urban Shadows from like, a moral standpoint? I am torn.

On the one hand, Truman did apologize, publically and in the infamous article, and I don't like the idea that if someone makes a mistake they can never be forgiven. Plus, Magpie Games posted this in the FAQ:

quote:

Is Andrew Medeiros involved in Urban Shadows: Second Edition?

No, Andrew and Mark have transferred the Urban Shadows brand and intellectual property directly to Magpie Games. Mark is still involved as designer and project lead, but Andrew is no longer working on the project and will not receive any further financial compensation for his initial contributions to the game.
So they are at least aware that he's a problem.

On the other hand, he's apparently still involved, so while they know he's a problem they are at least keeping him around (for now?). Plus, well, the situation with Zak S was absolutely terrible, just about the worst position one could possibly take in those circumstances. This should not be forgotten, and it's not like they made reparations in some way.

Thoughts?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Honestly I feel like this is one of those things that will depend on each person. Personally I am fine with backing Urban Shadows, but I wouldn't really blame anyone for not wanting to because of Mark.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you want the game, get it.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Filboid Studge posted:

I've just started a new campaign of Apoc World 2e on Roll20 with some IRL friends who started playing D&D online with me last summer - been a real lifeline for us as we're split by the Irish diaspora and of course haven't been able to travel.

For a palate cleanser for 5e we've tried a few different games and I've been edging in the more collaborative games because I love them - everyone intuitively grokked The Quiet Year, which I thought would be a good gateway drug.

First session of AW went really well, but I was wondering - does anyone have a smooth way of doing threat maps online? I kind of think at the minute that the best way is to just do them the old-fashioned way on paper on my desk, or maybe put a template into Paint?

I make physical copies of the threat map and players' playbooks when I play AW, even online. I've tried making them in photoshop, roll20, and mspaint but I always end up just printing the sheets out. Using a pencil, and being able to just look at it (not have to alt-tab) is a massive boon for my GMing.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

CPA Hell posted:

First, I have an idea for a really fun Colony World type hack; emulating shows like the 100, Outcasts, Terra Nova, Deep Space 9, Earth 2, parts of the Expanse or parts of Battle Star Galactica etc. Most of the playbooks could be loosely based off of the ones in AW. I've found ideas other shared online, but I'm not really thrilled with them.
So I ran an AW campaign that was set on a dilapidated space station on the far side of a collapsed wormhole (i.e. completely cut-off from Earth/civilization). The station was intended as a transit waypoint, but because there had been no incoming supply for like a century everything was ramshackle and jury-rigged and cobbled together out of recycled parts. The station itself was a stack of rings spinning around a central elevator/transit core - some of the rings had atmosphere, power, and were still spinning to produce gravity. Others were not. Fights over these precious resources were common, and various areas of the station effectively dissolved into tribalism. Vacuum was an ever-present threat, and EVA activities at the boundaries between spinning and stationary rings were...dangerous.

Anyway, the game was a ton of fun but here's them important part: I just used AW pretty much exactly as-is. I had two custom moves for the setting - one for jury-rigging poo poo out of whatever gear you might have on hand (to prevent us from having to detail peoples' kit) and one for what happens if you are exposed to vacuum. Everything else just...works. Vanilla AW is an incredibly flexible system and can accommodate a wide variety of vastly different settings with very little tinkering of the core mechanics. You don't even really need a bunch of custom playbooks because the bulk of the stuff you're going to want to do is already covered by the basics. OK, so the Driver's vehicle is an immaculately maintained vintage shuttle - it's still a vehicle that provides him and anyone who he wants to take with him delicious mobility. You can probably solve 90% of your issues by just running AW as-is and introducing a handful of custom moves for the setting.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baseline AW is just shockingly good as a system. I can say good things about some of the hacks but the original flavor is still the best I've encountered.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Tulip posted:

Baseline AW is just shockingly good as a system. I can say good things about some of the hacks but the original flavor is still the best I've encountered.
Yeah, it's unreal just how adaptable and straight up good it is as a game.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Ilor and I have talked about this a lot (and recently too, like, last week recently) and I'm of the opinion that a lot of AW Hacks are someone going 'Aw man, I have this sweet idea for a game! I'll just hack AW to make it!' and then they make AW needlessly complicated and it's worse for it. They probably could've just used vanilla AW with different names and terms and maybe an additional mechanic or two and it would've worked out just fine. Instead they staple on clunky sub-systems that disrupt the narrative based flow of the game. I'm looking at you here, John Harper.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
AW is so good that a lot of people have made hacks for it without, like, even reading it all the way through and understanding how it works.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Apocalypse World GMs: do you ever restrict playbooks? I'm specifically eyeing the Driver because of the multitude of suitable settings in which "guy with a car" is not tenable for whatever reason (it didn't come up but a previous campaign had people in high-rises above a deadly fog, I've been pondering Bioshock's Rapture or something similar as an inspirational location and it explicitly has no private transport, etc). I imagine the Brainer would meet that barrier for people who don't like the psychic elements too. Never seen people advocate for it, though, usually the opposite.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SkyeAuroline posted:

Apocalypse World GMs: do you ever restrict playbooks? I'm specifically eyeing the Driver because of the multitude of suitable settings in which "guy with a car" is not tenable for whatever reason (it didn't come up but a previous campaign had people in high-rises above a deadly fog, I've been pondering Bioshock's Rapture or something similar as an inspirational location and it explicitly has no private transport, etc). I imagine the Brainer would meet that barrier for people who don't like the psychic elements too. Never seen people advocate for it, though, usually the opposite.

"I don't want to GM for this/this doesn't fit in the setting I want to run" is completely legitimate. (My one warning re: the Brainer is that the psychic maelstrom is built into the mechanics, so you're still going to have that even without the playbook -- but it's fine to say "I don't want to have a Brainer in this game, can you do something else?")

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

SkyeAuroline posted:

I think if you have any amount of setting in mind you pretty much have to. Your playbooks so heavily influence what kind of game it's going to be.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ilor and I have talked about this a lot (and recently too, like, last week recently) and I'm of the opinion that a lot of AW Hacks are someone going 'Aw man, I have this sweet idea for a game! I'll just hack AW to make it!' and then they make AW needlessly complicated and it's worse for it. They probably could've just used vanilla AW with different names and terms and maybe an additional mechanic or two and it would've worked out just fine. Instead they staple on clunky sub-systems that disrupt the narrative based flow of the game. I'm looking at you here, John Harper.

I gotta say, even tweaking the GM moves and principles will result in a dramatically different experience without touching the playbooks or player moves.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

New worldwide wrestling came out. The new art looks pretty keen.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Golden Bee posted:

I just preordered the book today, though I'll be reading the PDF in anticipation. I'm wrapping up a 10 month long Monster of the Week campaign and then will be switching to World Wide Wrestling. I'm hoping to run two different stables (Raw and Smackdown style) that come together for the major events, with some shakeup between the shows after each PPV so the players get to interact with different people every few weeks.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Are there any good AW hacks/ new versions on itch?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Golden Bee posted:

One of the Promotions is based on the Discord game I’ve been participating in for the last year and a half or so. I’ll let people guess which one :v:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Asnorban posted:

I just preordered the book today, though I'll be reading the PDF in anticipation. I'm wrapping up a 10 month long Monster of the Week campaign and then will be switching to World Wide Wrestling. I'm hoping to run two different stables (Raw and Smackdown style) that come together for the major events, with some shakeup between the shows after each PPV so the players get to interact with different people every few weeks.

Online? Which time zone?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

I'm using the maneuver art as an aid for non-wrestling fans in a FATE wrestling campaign I'm in. Really handy. I think the presentation is also better; it's a good upgrade all around.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
my group cancelled on me for the fourth time in a row so I'm just going to run my own drat game, which games here are well-put-together and easy to run? I've dabbled in monster of the week a bit and that's pretty fun

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Poland Spring posted:

my group cancelled on me for the fourth time in a row so I'm just going to run my own drat game, which games here are well-put-together and easy to run? I've dabbled in monster of the week a bit and that's pretty fun

What kind of stuff do you like to watch or read? The more familiar you are with a genre's conventions, the easier it is for you to run a PbtA game based on them.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Glazius posted:

What kind of stuff do you like to watch or read? The more familiar you are with a genre's conventions, the easier it is for you to run a PbtA game based on them.

This. It's actually kind of difficult to get into some pbta games unless you like the flavorm i love Masks, for example, but just cant get into Monsterhearts.

Those are teen superheroes and horny teens that are also monsters, either metaphorically or literally.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
well one thing I want is a sense of humor, I want my players to be able to pull off wild and wacky poo poo if they feel like it. I watch a lot of fantasy and sci fi and hell, all sorts of stuff really

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Poland Spring posted:

well one thing I want is a sense of humor, I want my players to be able to pull off wild and wacky poo poo if they feel like it. I watch a lot of fantasy and sci fi and hell, all sorts of stuff really

I'm gonna pitch Voidheart Symphony. Persona 5-style mix of mundane-world social life management and metaphysical high-concept dungeon delving. Really fun combat, great gameplay loop. Very anime.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Poland Spring posted:

Blades in the Dark/Scum and Villainy are also pretty easy pitches for this feel.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Spirit of 77 has comedy baked into all the modules, and is the only PTA game that tells you explicitly to shoot players in the earlobe.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m hoping that some of you folks might be able to tell my why my strong desire to run a Sprawl game (all respect to Mike Pondsmith but he’s a fuckin nerd) is a terrible idea

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m hoping that some of you folks might be able to tell my why my strong desire to run a Sprawl game (all respect to Mike Pondsmith but he’s a fuckin nerd) is a terrible idea

It's not, Sprawl might not be the most sophisticated PbTA out there, but it does what it says on the tin. Stealing setting assumptions from CP20XX is fine, Pondsmith might be a nerd but he's a highly rated cyberpunk nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you want to run a heist/crime focused cyberpunk game, it’s great for that. The games I’ve run have ended up like sci-fi versions of the Parker novels and that was exactly what I was looking for.