Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

Are people under the impression the nukes went away after the cold war? Like if this plot had been set in any other time period since the U.S. acquired nuclear weapons it's not hard to get to the launch scene when every aspect of the narrative is driven by a magical wishing rock.

The nuclear threat actually works against the the theme Jenkins was apparently trying to develop here, Diana renouncing Steve and learning not to cheat or whatever lacks any weight at all because the alternative is nuclear annihilation.

In post-Cold War America we're now working on the assumption that America has all their nukes pointed at the rest of the world, which is cool and good, and Russia is trying to sell theirs to Auric Goldfinger in exchange for serum that will resurrect Stalin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Necrothatcher posted:

... what hush money?

It's more that nobody wants to lose their access journalism.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more that nobody wants to lose their access journalism.

It might also be mixed with people worried about movies dying, so they need this one to succeed. But that’s getting pretty conspiratorial, so I’m probably overthinking it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I saw this and it may have been the edible talking but it was fairly enjoyable. More so than most comic movies with a good mix of actual fun scenes with cheetah and lord and so bad its good stuff with wonder woman.

I think it openly disregards the DC Canon which is wise since nobody on earth follows or cares about the DCU movies. (saying that as someone who prefers BvS and the other crazy train wrecks to the bland marvel movies)

It also spends the first half an hour or hour challenging your suspension of disbelief until you realise its a magical logic movie, culminating in the scene with them hijacking a jet from a museum and turning it invisible to fly through fireworks. The film maker is clearly inviting you to throw reality to one side and just enjoy a superhero movie. Obviously backfiring for some people.

Having just watched gremlins the whole thing seemed like a pastiche of media from that era, the only reason Chris comes back the way he does is as a quantum leap reference. There weren't quite enough background gags for it to totally land though, it's a bit too serious in places.

The bit in the middle in the middle east despite them being Egyptian soldiers read to me as them sneaking in a way for Gal to fight the IDF since you're watching heavily armed middle Eastern soldiers whose territory is surrounded by a giant wall.

My own personal theory is that the movie was a way for the director/writer to mourn her dad's death. Gal and Chris' whole arc is her wishing her pilot father was alive again and tributing to him.
That's why I actually don't interpret the ending as "better things aren't possible" I interpret it as the director coming to terms with the reality of her dad's death, no wishes will bring him back. She has to live in the world without him, that's the truth, and the world is still beautiful.

Then imo the final bit with WW actually ties it together nicely, after her big speech about this wonder woman ends the film by still wishing for things, since despite the message the director knows we can't help but wish anyway and the director can't help but miss her dad.

A lot of story complaints are from people who either haven't seen the film or find children's films too cerebral. A LOT of the film is a mess but plenty of stuff I saw people not understand is extremely basic it's just not explicitly said in the script, sometimes it even is.

E: Gal gadot is a horrendous actor though, I think that's why she basically isn't in the films main storyline. The director wisely realised she could not hang a movie on Gal and instead just channeled her own emotional baggage (not meaning that negatively) into Gals arc to try to give it something.
Everyone else had a great performance I think, but Gal is genuinely Tommy Wiseau level

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 3, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Communist Thoughts posted:

My own personal theory is that the movie was a way for the director/writer to mourn her dad's death. Gal and Chris' whole arc is her wishing her pilot father was alive again and tributing to him.
That's why I actually don't interpret the ending as "better things aren't possible" I interpret it as the director coming to terms with the reality of her dad's death, no wishes will bring him back. She has to live in the world without him, that's the truth, and the world is still beautiful.
In a 2017 interview Jenkins literally said that Steve Trevor’s story in WW is the story of her father.

quote:

Here's the funny thing: it is literally the story [of my father]. The true story that not everybody knows is that my father was an American fighter pilot who flew from Europe. I didn't want anybody to know when we were shooting... I didn't want people to come onto set and be nervous. I was like I'm not nervous, I'm ok. It's been a long time and I'm so honored to bring him back in this way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So this will make Rogue Squadron the third film that, in her own words, is about her unresolved daddy issues. Huh

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think it was kinda defiantly trying to be a throwback, like trying to be a schmaltzy 80s movie made on modern budgets, I even think some of the "bad" effects are just explicitly replicating stuff you'd see in old movies like the doll kids and the bouncy pillars.

Within the first 20 minutes you have the mall scene with the indiana Jones closet and jingle all the way action scene and its telling you this is what this movie is.

The sad part is that then it just has to have a CGI boss fight and giant laser at the end and some of that stuff looks actually bad and is pointless. The end for both Lord and Cheetah sucks, Lord is exactly as unstable a father at the end as at the beginning.
That modern baggage shouldn't have been in the film but I guess every superhero movie HAS to have the CGI boss and laser.

The actual ending shot with Diana wishing on a star anyway was a strong ending I thought and repudiates the stuff I'd heard about the movie being about better things aren't possible.
The whole movie is like we have to face reality and wishing won't save us then the ending is like ah but we're human we never stop wishing and hoping.
This very minor level of human nuance is more than anything in endgame or what have you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the aggressive digital color-grading and CGI really fucks with whatever "old-school" look the movie might be going for.
it reminded me more of a early 2000's superhero movie than an 80's one

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 3, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Augus posted:

the aggressive digital color-grading and CGI really fucks with whatever "old-school" look the movie might be going for.
it reminded me more of a early 2000's superhero movie than an 80's one

Yeah it really looks nothing like 80s blockbuster movies beyond "some effects look hilariously fake in 2021 "

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The lasso, in particular, always looked terrible to me, it doesn't move like it exists. I know it's a magic rope that moves by itself but that doesn't make it not look like poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The movie is not an homage to 80s movies, nor does it look anything like them once you're past the mall scene.

Like, you have Stranger Things or AHS 1984 or IT to show you how to integrate the 80s into your setting.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Piell posted:

The lasso, in particular, always looked terrible to me, it doesn't move like it exists. I know it's a magic rope that moves by itself but that doesn't make it not look like poo poo.

Yeah at one point it splits in two as well, which fine, it's a magic 'lasso', but it's indicative of all the other magic in the movie, trading internal consistency for immediate narrative convenience.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I think movie could have been more effective in its meditation without the violence.

If the question is 'does humanity deserve to live?' then the story only presents the yes position without any opposition from the no, well I don't think that would have been as good as a story, nevermind truly meditative

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

multijoe posted:

So this will make Rogue Squadron the third film that, in her own words, is about her unresolved daddy issues. Huh

I mean we call Jodorowsky a genius...

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah at one point it splits in two as well, which fine, it's a magic 'lasso', but it's indicative of all the other magic in the movie, trading internal consistency for immediate narrative convenience.

Does anyone have any examples of internally consistent magic

In stories obvs, not gaming rules

gregday
May 23, 2003

I get that it’s a magic lasso whose length is not fixed, but when she lassoes a jet, it’s like thousands of feet long.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

If the question is 'does humanity deserve to live?' then the story only presents the yes position without any opposition from the no, well I don't think that would have been as good as a story, nevermind truly meditative

Did you watch the movie yet?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

Hellraiser.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blood Boils posted:

Wonder Woman 1 is actually a great example: Diana’s gauntlets grant her the power to manipulate reality in accordance to her beliefs: she can shoot lightning out of her hands because she believes she’s the daughter of Zeus. If Diana believes that some object is a magical relic, then it will be imbued with that power. That’s why her weakness is truth: if something she believes is revealed to be false, she loses that ability.

SO: what is the plot of WW 1984?

Diana finds an old rock, believes that it’s an ancient wishing stone and, therefore, it becomes one. The rock itself is worthless, but Diana has super-charged it with her own power. That’s why, as the wishes build up, she grows weaker. It’s also why her rejection of the wishing stone leads to her gaining a flight power instead.

What this means, of course, that the entire plot of the film is kinda dumb because Diana herself is just not that smart. Anything nonsensical that occurs (i.e. the magical jet) can be attributed to her having watched too many lovely movies or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That "Pitch Meeting" guy on YouTube didn't wait a few months to make one for this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Tm0SxIp6w

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 3, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That "Pitch Meeting" guy on YouTube didn't wait a few months to make one for this movie.

Yeah he usually doesn’t for big viral movies. Gotta strike while the iron is hot to get those hits.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

VinylonUnderground posted:

ACC is a hardcore child molester and, frankly, not a very good author. Kubrick, on the other hand, never hosed a kid and made a lot of really great movies.

I'm OK judging people who favor the mediocre child-molester over the awesome auteur.

I'm curious about this. The full story doesn't seem to be out there, Sri Lanka (the relevant country) cleared him of the charges, saying that they had never had a case against him, and that the allegations did not come from victims coming forward, and no one had come forward as victims or supportingbthe allegations since they were made.

On the other hand, it is also alleged that he was gay and that it was a homophobic smear by two British journalists.

I don't pretend that my five minutes with Google told the whole story, but it looks like a wet and very smelly fart and if I'm wrong and it is instead my post that is gross and smelly I wouldn't mind knowing.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm curious about this. The full story doesn't seem to be out there, Sri Lanka (the relevant country) cleared him of the charges, saying that they had never had a case against him, and that the allegations did not come from victims coming forward, and no one had come forward as victims or supportingbthe allegations since they were made.

On the other hand, it is also alleged that he was gay and that it was a homophobic smear by two British journalists.

I don't pretend that my five minutes with Google told the whole story, but it looks like a wet and very smelly fart and if I'm wrong and it is instead my post that is gross and smelly I wouldn't mind knowing.

So he definitely was gay and there absolutely were a lot of slurs and accusations against him due to his homosexuality. Given the times, there is absolutely room for doubt. However, he was also absolutely a local boogey-man where you could make bank having your underaged son hang out with him so he could paint them (often in the nude). When you are *really* selective with your charity, it starts to look an *awful* lot like hush money.

Which also explains why people aren't coming forward. If someone gets molested by a priest they've been betrayed by an authority figure. They get a lifetime of trauma and if they see any material benefit from their trauma, it's because they sued the Church and made a stink. Contrast that with getting paid by a famous chomo. It's obviously a traumatic experience and it is an entirely predictable traumatic experience that their family was compensated for so making a stink endangers the financial compensation they have received.

Sri Lanka also has a similar thing going on as Thailand does where officially child prostitution absolutely does not exist. That official position is just an official position and has nothing to do with reality.

We will never know but the "not a chomo" argument relies on a lot of plausible deniability for some really creepy things.

On a goonier note, he's also a scifi author. Can you name a scifi author who doesn't have a bunch of sex weirdness to them? It's the most circumstantial and also the most damning part.

The bigger thing is that no one outside of the one weirdo I was talking to cares deeply about the narrative plot of 2001. People who like it describe it as a psychedelic experience and it follows a psychedelic logic. Going "first tool:first murder::missile satellite:commercial space flight" is the kind of mental leap your mind makes while hearing about Gagarin go into space on acid. If one cares about poo poo like "a progenitor race that values intelligence above all other virtues" and what the star child actually means and poo poo then the movie is just not for them. There are other very good things like Star Trek (especially the original series, which can get quite heady) that fit what that guy wants. Given the deeply psychedelic logic in Sunshine, I'm confused why someone who things 2001 is a garbage-tier movie would like it. When I was sharing Sunshine with my spouse they initially said, "wait, would that work?" because they are a pretty rational and grounded person. I told them, "No, of course not. Thinking that way isn't what this movie is about."

VinylonUnderground fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 4, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean we call Jodorowsky a genius...

Given how DC movies have gone, you could credibly say that the first WW involved turning poo poo into gold.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

gregday posted:

I get that it’s a magic lasso whose length is not fixed, but when she lassoes a jet, it’s like thousands of feet long.

It's like Goku's Power Pole.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Given how DC movies have gone, you could credibly say that the first WW involved turning poo poo into gold.

The first WW made less than BvS globally. Aquaman is the most successful DCEU movie. WW only marginally outperformed Suicide Squad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just finished watching this at last, it's... kinda good? I kinda like it?

So yeah my username is from the JLI character, I'm a big fan of that run but I was worried that with Maxwell Lord as the villain in a Wonder Woman movie we were gonna get the Black Ops murderer Max from Countdown to Infinite Crisis. He's not that, thank God, and he's not quite the JLI version either, but I liked this version and this is as close to his original arc we're probably gonna get on film or TV so there's that. And Pedro Pascal is quite good, I like him.

The film's at its best in the broad and weird moments, but takes a while getting there- for how long this was sitting ready to go you figure they could have edited it down better, but also reshoots were out of the question past a certain point so that may have been an issue. The pacing is just weird, and Diana herself feels a little distant at times. At its best it has some of the deliberate comic-ness of the Raimi Spider-Mans but it never quite maintains that intensity. A lot of the goofier scenes of people's wishes coming true are very much something I'd expect of a comic in the 80s, writers and artists liked to have fun with one-panel characters and exchanges like that. "My cows!"

Also Patty Jenkins is clearly more comfortable with the nitty-gritty up-close action scenes than she is with the bits where the CGI doubles are doing much of the work, the effects are kinda inconsistent (there's one shot of Diana running in DC that looks weird but maybe Gal Gadot's legs are that long.) The first fight between Diana and Minerva is way better than the second. The opening contest is fun though.

And while the Minerva storyline def. feels tacked on so that Wonder Woman can have a physical superbeing to fight, I mean I like Kristen Wiig and I do like the idea that her becoming a supervillain is basically her becoming the Idealized 80s Woman that all the magazines were telling women they had to be. Ruthless! Buff! Cold to everyone around her! Never gets the poofy shoulderpads though. Missed opportunity, costume folks.

(As for the costumes/art direction in general, they're clearly more going for the distorted pop culture version of what the 80s were like than the real thing, but I got used to it and it does at least mean all the colors are nice and vivid.)

Less than the sum of its parts, maybe, but at the same time the good stuff is quite good.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The first WW made less than BvS globally. Aquaman is the most successful DCEU movie. WW only marginally outperformed Suicide Squad.

It was not a statement about the film's financial earnings.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It was not a statement about the film's financial earnings.

Okay, in that case the first Wonder Woman is worse than those other movies too.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Watched bvs after reading this thread and lol

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

Watched bvs after reading this thread and lol

It is kinda weird that canonically she's been laying low this whole time and Man of Steel was when humanity first became aware of crazy poo poo happening, but also there was that time in 1984 that the world almost ended.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

It is kinda weird that canonically she's been laying low this whole time and Man of Steel was when humanity first became aware of crazy poo poo happening, but also there was that time in 1984 that the world almost ended.

The thibg to actually take from this is that there isn't a unified DCEU Canon, or if there is the Snyder films aren't it in, because WW84 absolutely did not take place in the same world as BvS

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

multijoe posted:

The thibg to actually take from this is that there isn't a unified DCEU Canon, or if there is the Snyder films aren't it in, because WW84 absolutely did not take place in the same world as BvS

You say that now, but don’t worry: the WB executives will soon rearrange that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You say that like convoluted excuses for cosmic retcons aren't DC's bread and butter.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Did you watch the movie yet?

Sunshine I've seen twice :smug: it's great

WW84 not yet, maybe I should see Aquaman first?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

WW84 not yet, maybe I should see Aquaman first?

nah skip straight to WW84.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

She gave a speech to every single person in the world.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah it's clear they just didn't care about continuity

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Augus posted:

She gave a speech to every single person in the world.

Which, when you think about it, is a bit notable of a way for the hero to triumph in a film with 1984 in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Less than the sum of its parts, maybe, but at the same time the good stuff is quite good.

What's the good stuff for you? Just that Max Lord wasnt a psychopath (even tho he wanted to contril the world) and some of the wishes were goofy? Just trying to understand.