Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

sprats are loving delicious. give me the cheap sprats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

oliwan posted:

can we maybe ban americans from posting about the EU because their bad takes are cringe as hell

Us brits by contrast are known for the piercing insight of our takes about the EU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The yanks should see what we post about them

There's a lot of laughing at the bad stimulus cheques they get while notably we haven't got anything at all

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Communist Thoughts posted:

There's a lot of laughing at the bad stimulus cheques they get while notably we haven't got anything at all

I got paid by the government to do nothing for 6 months

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Continuity NIP posted:

I got paid by the government to do nothing for 6 months

hello mr gove

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

oliwan posted:

yeah I saw this one and it's funny, I'm just waiting for the first phone bill to come in from some of the pensioners in spain who didn't realise it was because of EU regulations that they didn't pay roaming charges when using their UK mobile contracts abroad

honestly, watching the lives of UK pensioners living in Spain fall apart is definitely one of the biggest upsides to brexit

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The UK has a furlough scheme that pays up to 80% of the salary of anyone who unable to work because of the virus. It's was capped at £2.5k a month. I think it's been reduced to £2k now.

I'd take that over a one-off stimulus cheque for less than a week's salary.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

all the herbs in the shops were rotten or missing and i couldnt buy any celery, garlic or peppers

is this brexit? am i dying now?

garlic is anathema to Nuggan, and so are ginger, mushrooms and chocolate. get used to living without them

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hake is a perfectly good white fish and I would bet the average Briton could not tell the difference between cod and hake when it's been battered and deep fried.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

spankmeister posted:

Hake is a perfectly good white fish and I would bet the average Briton could not tell the difference between cod and hake when it's been battered and deep fried.

nah Hake tastes too ‘fishy’. Cod and Haddock are more bland in flavour and therefore far better suited to our British palates.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

are there any good tweets by brexit voting pensioners finding out they now have to pay roaming charges in the EU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Finally free of the eu's jackboot at the average joe's neck. Better to die standing than live on your knees. A man can only put up with so much until he fights back. Better dead than red. The oppressed masses will rise up. You can't keep the average stiff down forever. Finally taking back control!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

You guys get healthcare and (I think) some kind of social welfare, right, so you're getting way more than we do.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Woke Pob posted:

The UK has a furlough scheme that pays up to 80% of the salary of anyone who unable to work because of the virus. It's was capped at £2.5k a month. I think it's been reduced to £2k now.

I'd take that over a one-off stimulus cheque for less than a week's salary.

we also got half price burgers and chips and that in july and august to help us respread the virus :thumbsup:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
britannia, once ruler of the waves, denied the bounty of the sea... such a tragic tale

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

crispix posted:

we also got half price burgers and chips and that in july and august to help us respread the virus :thumbsup:

I will go to my grave saying this is the stupidest thing anyone has ever done. Everyone knew the summer was a lull in the storm before a second winter wave and the government loving subsidised a load of super spreader events to get it started. Even for the Tories, even for Boris Johnson that was one of the most baffling own goals ever carried out.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Not to mention it cost the taxpayer about half a billion quid ffs

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it was actually a brilliant strategic move to make sure the country had fewer mouths to feed going into brexit

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there some site that has nothing but posts of Brexit supporters suddenly getting owned

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

actionjackson posted:

Is there some site that has nothing but posts of Brexit supporters suddenly getting owned

https://www.bbc.com/

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the joke that they don't seem to mention Brexit at all on their website

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

actionjackson posted:

is the joke that they don't seem to mention Brexit at all on their website

The joke is they were talking up how good Brexit was going to be and now are all quiet and are in a much worse position.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
They're Brexit supporters suddenly getting owned, and they're posting. They're not posts about Brexit supporters getting owned, and this deliberate misunderstanding of what you were asking for supplies adequate comedy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there anyone that actually benefits from Brexit?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Khorne and Nurgle

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

actionjackson posted:

Eels

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

actionjackson posted:

The EU and a small collection of multi-national corporations and asset strippers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

actionjackson posted:

I'm sure there are a bunch of Tory donors/relatives/friends who made giant piles of money because of Brexit. It's probably not as simple as "this industry makes more money now" in any case, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BAESystemsplc/status/1345663735663366144?s=20

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

serious talk tho that strange loving vat tax seems tailor made to gently caress over companies that relied on smaller, more frequent shipments while larger companies can afford to either soak the loss or make bigger shipments to mitigate it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Agean90 posted:

serious talk tho that strange loving vat tax seems tailor made to gently caress over companies that relied on smaller, more frequent shipments while larger companies can afford to either soak the loss or make bigger shipments to mitigate it

its just a temporary scam/quick fix

ofc now that everything is under the "control" of the british government theres a 50/50 chance the quick fix never gets replaced

the gov and media havent noticed that our entire justice system collapsed like 5 years ago, so it takes a very long time for our institutions to notice and then even more time to rectify their malfunctions

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m sure there is an argument that now it will be financially viable to now build widget factories in the u.k.

it’s complete pie in the sky fantasy because capitalism doesn’t work that way, but it’s what brexiteers believe

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's up with the UK today?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

What's up with the UK today?

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1212679425629859840?s=20

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

i’m sure there is an argument that now it will be financially viable to now build widget factories in the u.k.

it’s complete pie in the sky fantasy because capitalism doesn’t work that way, but it’s what brexiteers believe

You couldn't even run a sex arse factory in Brexit due to labor shortages. But even if you could, the labor costs and safety standards would make british made sex arses an unaffordable luxury reserved only for the rich and famous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the gov and media havent noticed that our entire justice system collapsed like 5 years ago, so it takes a very long time for our institutions to notice and then even more time to rectify their malfunctions

what does a collapsed justice system mean in practice

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Good, but nothing will ever beat that one:
https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/595112367358406656

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

10,000 Sex Arses would be a great username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

hobbesmaster posted:

what does a collapsed justice system mean in practice

Given sovereignty of parliament nowhere near as much as it would in the US or most other places.

Mainly it means that you have to wait a really long time for someone to hear your case, to the point you can't really get justice even for blatant violation of the law, particularly non-criminal ones.