Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Private Speech posted:

I think the fee in question is unique to the UK, which is rather the problem.
Eh, the fee doesn't seem particularly steep, it's like, maybe the cost of hiring one lawyer/accountant type for a day? I feel like the bureaucratic labor involved here might overshadow the fee completely, even for a relatively small company. Admittedly much easier to feel the sting of paying the English for the pleasure of getting taxed by them.

Xaris posted:

I would somewhat be surprised if EU is even alive as we know it in a decade or two with climate change. entire countries are going to have unbearable wet bulb temps without AC, tens of millions in india ran out of water last year only saved at the last second monsoon and tons of farmland are no longer viable and it's only growing worse and closer to precipice of disaster (there's a big reason that tensions at kashmir are ramping up big time because it's going to vital for whoever controls it to survive), there's going to be huge water and food crises writ-large and hoping to find a more stable life. and yet people's lives already feel poo poo writ-large, they're only growing poorer and less opportunities and unhappy about that while still having yet more people coming. Just looking at what a meager 1-2 million afghan/syrian refugees did showing huge rise in right-wing nationalist parties taking power (albeit minority power) after years of austerity and decline, I''ll leave it up to reader to imagine what even 1% population migration from the regional area would do: does EU massively improve material conditions quickly in the next 5 years such that people are going to feel secure and unalienated with a stable foundation for life and therefore welcoming, or does the status quo continue and everyone splits off and goes children of men?
The far right has turned more EU-friendly in recent years, partly as a reaction to Brexit, partly because it seems to realize it actually has a decent shot at identity politicking their way into far more influence. European unity is gonna be forged by turning the Mediterranean red with the blood of refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
can we maybe ban americans from posting about the EU because their bad takes are cringe as hell

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

death to america, death to europe, a curse upon the west, allahu ackbar

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
terminally online american guy with bad facial hair and cargo pants: the EU is very bad, just like the US constitution,

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

oliwan posted:

can we maybe ban americans from posting about the EU because their bad takes are cringe as hell

make british posters pay a tariff for every post they make outside of this thread

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

make british posters pay a tariff for every post they make outside of this thread

This thread is mainly Americans. Trap us in the UKMT please.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
brexiteer twitter: there are no queues at Dover not a truck in sight :smug:

ah yes no trade truly a sign of victory

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

marktheando posted:

Brexit was to stop us having a land border with Iraq and Syria

Turkey is never going to join lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

bitterandtwisted posted:

lol tories aren't machiavelian geniuses, they were just sent to the right boarding schools. They dumb as poo poo.
but the english are a servile race who worship the arisotcracy so they keep electing them

wow... a servile race? guess casual racism is just acceptable in cspam now huh

what next, are you going to say we're a nation of bootli ckers who survive on a diet of wet grey meat?

an entire population who can't be trusted to tie their own shoelaces let alone govern themselves?

a people so racist and miserable that htey'd rather destroy entire local economies than see a shop selling polish meat?

honestly, it's disgraceful

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there any good tweets by brexit voting pensioners finding out they now have to pay roaming charges in the EU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
might have to wait until they're actually allowed to leave the plague island for that one

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Turkey is never going to join lol

Good.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lil poopendorfer posted:

What were the alleged pros of Brexit.. Not having to support weaker countries in the EU? Less scary immigrants?

no longer having to worry about eu imposed straight banannas thought it was assumed they would be bendy rather than unavailable

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

lil poopendorfer posted:

What were the alleged pros of Brexit.. Not having to support weaker countries in the EU? Less scary immigrants?

voice over: they didn't

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

oliwan posted:

voice over: they didn't

how about we clap every Thursday at 8pm?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The UK basically had the chance to co-lead a European empire, but decided nostalgia for the old one was better.

when you put it like that i feel a lot better about the whole thing

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

oliwan posted:

are there any good tweets by brexit voting pensioners finding out they now have to pay roaming charges in the EU

https://twitter.com/MissRegardless/status/1344969206635393025

There's more in the thread

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

XMNN posted:

wow... a servile race? guess casual racism is just acceptable in cspam now huh

what next, are you going to say we're a nation of bootli ckers who survive on a diet of wet grey meat?

an entire population who can't be trusted to tie their own shoelaces let alone govern themselves?

a people so racist and miserable that htey'd rather destroy entire local economies than see a shop selling polish meat?

honestly, it's disgraceful

you shouldn't say that the british will allow any atrocity or unimaginable cruelty as long as it's perpetuated by someone with a self-deprecating posh accent

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

but they moved to Spain, so why would this affect them still?

Swaegsthetics
Jul 8, 2013

actionjackson posted:

but they moved to Spain, so why would this affect them still?

hazarding a wild guess, i think it means they now will have to subscribe, in Spain, to sky's Spanish division or subsidiary (if such a thing exists), or to a Spanish network that licenses some or all of sky's programming (if such a thing exists) and is authorized to broadcast there

as sky and others probably no longer have some sort of internet exemption from whatever media monopoly and licensing regimes that exist

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

oliwan posted:

But they're the best part of the thread now that there's a bit of a lull in the lulz!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Will I have to pay a special tax as an EU citizen to lol at the uk itt?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

You all have definitely bought for a time, perhaps, the necessary amount of time, against whatever is going to come barreling out of the Urals once Putin kicks the bucket.

Nonsense has issued a correction as of 07:14 on Jan 3, 2021

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

oliwan posted:

i will stop posting my bad takes when the UK stops doing things that are irresistibly laffo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syncopated posted:

Will I have to pay a special tax as an EU citizen to lol at the uk itt?

That'll cost you 17 sickles, 29 knuts, and 3 galleons.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Communist Thoughts posted:

Me too. The old deal where the UK just quietly grumbled and dragged its feet about the EU was probably the ideal situation, no wonder it didn't last.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

this thread is pretty much just full of americans like me who use the uk as their personal geopolitical whipping boy when they need to blow off steam from US politics and laugh at something

fortunately the uk deserves it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Agean90 posted:

this thread is pretty much just full of americans like me who use the uk as their personal geopolitical whipping boy when they need to blow off steam from US politics and laugh at something

fortunately the uk deserves it

don't be a oval office mate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can't wait to see what sort of fascist organisation the EU becomes as more countries turn into dictatorships like Hungary and more refugees try to enter

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It seems to me that since UK and the Tory MEPs are out of the picture and Brexit is finally loving done with, Poland and especially Hungary seem to be getting a lot less leeway re: their attempts to make EU accept their authoritarianism. I guess we'll just have to see how it shakes out.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/TheSinanKose/status/1345447330028244993?s=20

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jose posted:

Can't wait to see what sort of fascist organisation the EU becomes as more countries turn into dictatorships like Hungary and more refugees try to enter

the EU is already drowning people by the thousands as an active policy choice, once someone figures out a way to bring in a sufficient amount of refugees more or less safely (e.g. the russian/norwegian border) we're going to see machine guns put up

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

This thread is mainly Americans. Trap us in the UKMT please.

I don't know how to speak a cant or Dick Van Dyke chimney sweep though

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

twoday posted:

Now is a good time to invest in laver farmers

twoday posted:

The UK exports much of the fish caught in its own waters, such as herring, saithe, hake, and sprats. In contrast, the majority of cod, haddock, salmon, tuna, and other fish that British people eat must be imported. After Brexit, it is predicted that the British market will become flooded with cheap unwanted fish from British waters, driving down the profitability of fishing in the UK severely. At the same time, price for the desired foreign fish will go up just as severely if the British white fish fleet doesn't have access to foreign waters. In any case, it seems that the UK will be the more desperate party at the negotiating table of the global market when this is all on the table for discussion in 2020, and British fisherman are worried that even more fishing rights in the UK are going to be traded away then, in addition to the fishing industry generally taking a punch to the face.

twoday posted:

Let them eat sprats

when I spent the last few years ignorantly posting about brexit, oblivious to any of the details of its potential economic consequences besides how it might impact fishing rights and white fish stocks, you all laughed at me

well you’re not laughing now, are you

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

twoday posted:

when I spent the last few years ignorantly posting about brexit, oblivious to any of the details of its potential economic consequences besides how it might impact fishing rights and white fish stocks, you all laughed at me

well you’re not laughing now, are you

It's C-SPAM. I've been watching this poo poo for four years.

At this point I can't stop laughing no matter how much I want to.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah I saw this one and it's funny, I'm just waiting for the first phone bill to come in from some of the pensioners in spain who didn't realise it was because of EU regulations that they didn't pay roaming charges when using their UK mobile contracts abroad

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

endlessmonotony posted:

It's C-SPAM. I've been watching this poo poo for four years.

At this point I can't stop laughing no matter how much I want to.

I was paraphrasing Nigel Farage

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
brexit is serious business

well, it would be, but it destroyed all the business

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

twoday posted:

I was paraphrasing Nigel Farage

Doesn't make my post any less true. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
do we think nigel faerage was playing to the "persons who thought that the joker was the good guy" audience with that tweet