Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

britishbornandbread posted:

Oh he’s absolutely awesome. But by 1996 standards, he’s the heel and Shawn is the race. They push that “bizarro land” poo poo on commentary these days but was that really a thing 25 years ago?

Shawn was a loving terrible babyface in 1996

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Currently enjoying Survivor Series 1996 with a beer. Is there a deeper reason for the smarky crowd cheering Sid and booing Shawn? They seemed “normal” for Bret v Austin before.

There was this brief period in 1996 where Sid was red hot and even putting on some of the best performances of his career until he hosed it up in typical Sid fashion. Plus there was building resentment from the male fans at least for Shawn as far back as when he beat Vader at Summerslam maybe even earlier.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Sid is the master and ruler of the world OP

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The reaction Sid gets at Survivor Series 1996 is fantastic. Which is amazing considering how crap the rest of that card is (Bret vs Austin excluded).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's always happened in Wrestling, just for the WWE they'd always edit TV to make sure the face was cheered so it's not as noticeable on TV. On PPV though you can't edit so it makes it through

See the reaction at the end of Royal Rumble 92 when Flair gets a face pop for winning and the crowd 100% sides with Sid even though the angle was set up for Hogan to get cheered

I'd dispute that last part, because if they thought Hogan straight up cheating to pull Sid out because he had the audacity to... eliminate him in a battle royal... was gonna get Hogan cheered, then I'm not sure Vince has ever understood how a hero acts

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

He probably thought Hogan was so beloved that anybody eliminating him would be instantly booed. And with Hogan it was never about being a hero. It was about being an rear end in a top hat to people the crowd hated. The crowd didn't hate Sid, who'da thunk?

Can I just say I am fine with Hogan being a dick to dastardly heels. I mean that was Hogan's magic. Taking the fight to people who have it coming instead of being designated victims like Ricky Steamboat. Sid just...didn't have it coming.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not sure Vince has ever understood how a hero acts

I think that his skewed sense of morals has made him unable to book a great face, aside from the few times he lucked into it, and that he has grown increasingly detached from modern morality as time has gone on.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok a question that bugs me: I know Mark Henry is super strong and "The World's Strongest Man" was not just hype but I never remember seeing him throw people around the ring. Did Henry ever actually throw people around and have actual power moves aside from The World's Strongest Slam?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Not people related, but he tore the door of the cage that one time. And I saw a video of him folding a frying pan in half once, that was cool.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok a question that bugs me: I know Mark Henry is super strong and "The World's Strongest Man" was not just hype but I never remember seeing him throw people around the ring. Did Henry ever actually throw people around and have actual power moves aside from The World's Strongest Slam?

He did a bear hug & that is surely a power move

Or the time he gorilla pressed Vader

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

ChrisBTY posted:

Did Henry ever actually throw people around

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ChrisBTY posted:

He probably thought Hogan was so beloved that anybody eliminating him would be instantly booed. And with Hogan it was never about being a hero. It was about being an rear end in a top hat to people the crowd hated. The crowd didn't hate Sid, who'da thunk?

Can I just say I am fine with Hogan being a dick to dastardly heels. I mean that was Hogan's magic. Taking the fight to people who have it coming instead of being designated victims like Ricky Steamboat. Sid just...didn't have it coming.

Yeah, it's worth noting that in the months he had been in the company, Sid Justice came off as a truly upstanding and likeable guy.

- Brought in to be the special referee in the SummerSlam main event and played it down the middle despite Slaughter trying to lure him over to the heel side.

- Celebrated with Hogan after the match.

- Came to Savage and Elizabeth's rescue at their reception when Jake Roberts and Undertaker started causing trouble.

- Feuded with the most evil dudes on the roster until getting an arm injury. His response? Start a campaign to get Randy Savage reinstated so he could righteously gently caress up Jake Roberts.

- At the Royal Rumble, he already eliminated Slaughter (post-face turn) and Savage, so him taking out Hogan was not some big swerve.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Gavok posted:

- At the Royal Rumble, he already eliminated Slaughter (post-face turn) and Savage, so him taking out Hogan was not some big swerve.

Even as a little kid watching his first live WWF PPV event I understood it was every man for himself so was okay with Sid Justice taking out fellow faces. I remember my friends and I were furious when Hogan cost Sid the Rumble after he was eliminated fair and square.
I got into wrestling in '91 so was never really a Hulkamaniac but I'm curious what Hogan fans thought about that at the time.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I can only imagine it was a matter of Vince thinking 'Either Sid replaces Hogan or feuds with him' and Hogan wasn't ready to be replaced.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bartok posted:

Even as a little kid watching his first live WWF PPV event I understood it was every man for himself so was okay with Sid Justice taking out fellow faces. I remember my friends and I were furious when Hogan cost Sid the Rumble after he was eliminated fair and square.
I got into wrestling in '91 so was never really a Hulkamaniac but I'm curious what Hogan fans thought about that at the time.

Just months before, me and most other kids were shocked he lost to Undertaker, so I wonder if that removed some of the mystique. Or, maybe people were just worn out on Hogan by then.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What good singles matches has Big E had?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

forkboy84 posted:

He did a bear hug & that is surely a power move

Or the time he gorilla pressed Vader

So yeah that video autoplayed into a 'Mark Henry Strength Tribute' vid. Which was 80% WSSs, 19% Press Slams and 1 Superplex. drat near 20 years in the biz and he couldn't even do a power bomb.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

I think that's a fine thing for babyfaces to do, but they should be provoked. Like Tanahashi kicking Jay White in the dick after White does it to him, or Jon Moxley attacking Omega backstage after Omega had him Nancy Kerriganed. Losing a match and then going dirty is 100% a heel move and if it had been literally anyone but Hogan, no-one would've expected it to play as a babyface spot.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

What good singles matches has Big E had?

Probably stuff this year. He’s almost exclusively been a tag team guy on the main roster and his earliest push on WWE TV when with Ziggler would have been a lot of squashes.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

I can only imagine it was a matter of Vince thinking 'Either Sid replaces Hogan or feuds with him' and Hogan wasn't ready to be replaced.

No, Vince never really thought Sid was going to replace Hogan. The plan going into the Rumble was always to set up Hogan vs Sid as a single match both as a promise to Sid (Main Event at mania against Hogan) and cause Hogan was going to film a movie/hide while the Steroid fall out hit the company. The company just thought that the usual friend turning on Hogan angle would work like it did in the past.

They just honestly thought Sid would get booed and the crowd would hate Flair winning. But hey, it turns out having Flair go 50 minutes plus and fighting off all challengers really allowed him to show his charisma and aura in a way that he hadn't shown in years. And Sid's charisma was something that was never in the WWF before and fans where desperate for something new at this point. And whelp when Hogan threw his tantrum after help eliminate Sid and after Flair put on a show the crowd ended up turning on him

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010
So I've been watching a lot of Lucha Underground summary/highlight videos, and figuring out who is who from their cast list.

Who is Marty "The Moth"? He seems to have a pretty solid character, isn't terrible in the ring, and is large. Is he anyone? Or are the highlight videos hiding his badness?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cocomonk3 posted:

So I've been watching a lot of Lucha Underground summary/highlight videos, and figuring out who is who from their cast list.

Who is Marty "The Moth"? He seems to have a pretty solid character, isn't terrible in the ring, and is large. Is he anyone? Or are the highlight videos hiding his badness?

I think he was first on a season of Tough Enough then showed up in Lucha Underground. I don't think he's done anything of note since.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

He was out for a while with a pretty bad back injury iirc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Punch McLightning posted:

Probably stuff this year. He’s almost exclusively been a tag team guy on the main roster and his earliest push on WWE TV when with Ziggler would have been a lot of squashes.

NXT run "Five Count" Big E Langston has a theme song that slaps and does good-for-the-time work. He lost the NXT Title to Bo Dallas so that should be alright.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So Roderick Strong hit his daughter with a can of beans during a podcast and they made it a question on Jeopardy?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Currently enjoying Survivor Series 1996 with a beer. Is there a deeper reason for the smarky crowd cheering Sid and booing Shawn? They seemed “normal” for Bret v Austin before.
Vince McMahon was still doing full-time commentary and was rather insufferable in his non-stop praise for Shawn. Just imagine a typical WWE superman push, but with the owner of the company literally telling you how great the wrestler is throughout the entire broadcast. A solid year of that got 15-year-old me to be resentful of the HBK push, so I have to imagine a crowd of smarky adults felt the same (especially when given a likeable foil like Sid to latch on to).

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I was 13 at the time and also soured on Shawn during that. I can't remember if it was just that I liked Sid more or what, but maybe it was leftover resentment from Bret losing the Iron Man Match in bullshit fashion.

Really the whole WM12 build is what ruined Shawn for me as a kid because Bret was always my favorite and even as a kid I could see the writing on the wall with the "boyhood dream" stuff being crammed down our throats.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Why didn't WCW ever put the strap on Regis Philbin?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Why was Vince so enamored by Shawn Michaels? HBK is practically the antithesis of everything Vince looked for in a top guy.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

bartok posted:

Why was Vince so enamored by Shawn Michaels? HBK is practically the antithesis of everything Vince looked for in a top guy.

His options were pretty limited at the time, but I imagine Vince was into his smack-talking (both on-screen and off-screen) and his ability to protect himself. Vince is weird, he's a control freak who is also turned on by people standing up for themselves... when he's in the right mood or his hands are tied, hopefully not literally.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bartok posted:

Coked up, arrogant as hell and not afraid to bury other guys to protect his spot? 6 inches and 40 pounds and Shawn could've been Hogan in that era. And I say that as someone who was 9 years old for WM 12 and was 100% in the HBK wagon and still kinda am.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Eat My Fuc posted:

Why didn't WCW ever put the strap on Regis Philbin?

Because Regis was a WWF guy

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The fundamental thing that needs to be understood about why Shawn didn't fully click as top face in 1996 (with seeds planted in 1995) is this: Vince had never booked a heart throb babyface before and clearly had no idea how to do so. You have to use something like Jerry Jarrett's template for the Fabulous Ones, where they're booked as such e[ic rear end kickers in so many big brawls that male fans never start resenting them. Shawn's first PPV title defense being the street fight with Diesel was a great step, but he did very little of that. Instead, most of the time, he was the weirdo inviting kids to do stripper dances with him while the announcers fawned over him incessantly. And while he was taking his dick out at house shows as top babyface. Maybe it would have worked better if they kept some of the rougher edges he had in 1995, but at the end of the day, you still have a guy booked by someone who thought it was a good idea to coach the announcers into sounding like they were campaigning to bed him.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think the crowds wouldn't have turned on him if Shawn was kept like his Mania 11 character since that was what was getting over with the crowds, though in the end any Shawn run was gonna end in failure in 96 due to Drugs and politics and refusing to do jobs

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The other day I was looking at a thread that had Wrestler of the Month (Like above) listed back to 2007/2008 and now I can't find it for the life of me. Can someone direct me to it?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Davros1 posted:

The other day I was looking at a thread that had Wrestler of the Month (Like above) listed back to 2007/2008 and now I can't find it for the life of me. Can someone direct me to it?

That's always the post after voting for the champ of the month closes https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953579#post511252111

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

That's always the post after voting for the champ of the month closes https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953579#post511252111

Thanks. For some reason kept thinking it was at the beginning of some poll

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

When did wrestling fans become so toxic and insane with how they draw company lines? I was on the internet pretty early on as a teenager poking around RSPW and all that stuff, and I don't know if it was just because I was a kid and the internet wasn't quite so ingrained in our daily lives but I don't remember everyone being quite so hateful of companies other than their main company.

Obviously you can think of stuff like ECW and its fans making GBS threads on WWF and WCW, but I don't know – it somehow just feels different from what we see week-in and week-out from people on Twitter.

Was there a tipping point? Or was it always like this, just better hidden without social media to shine a brighter light on it?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

When did wrestling fans become so toxic and insane with how they draw company lines? I was on the internet pretty early on as a teenager poking around RSPW and all that stuff, and I don't know if it was just because I was a kid and the internet wasn't quite so ingrained in our daily lives but I don't remember everyone being quite so hateful of companies other than their main company.

Obviously you can think of stuff like ECW and its fans making GBS threads on WWF and WCW, but I don't know – it somehow just feels different from what we see week-in and week-out from people on Twitter.

Was there a tipping point? Or was it always like this, just better hidden without social media to shine a brighter light on it?

It's always been a thing. It's just more noticeable now because this is the first time in over 20 years WWE has had real competition.

Before AEW it was hatred for individual wrestlers. This subforum fairly recently had a thread devoted to Holocaust jokes to let out their hatred for Roman Reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

rare Magic card l00k posted:

It's always been a thing. It's just more noticeable now because this is the first time in over 20 years WWE has had real competition.

Before AEW it was hatred for individual wrestlers. This subforum fairly recently had a thread devoted to Holocaust jokes to let out their hatred for Roman Reigns.

i don't think that's really true, especially in the 80s

all the smart fans personally knew each other so the flame wars were small. i will agree with you that by the time paul heyman was trying to get wade keller cancelled on rspw for asking ecw's ppv company for comment about mass transit, poo poo was toxic