Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

haveblue posted:

They are not thinking that far ahead, they have a tiger by the tail

The GOP egged their base on to the fringe and now they've got nothing they can do except hold on.

Anyone who tries to go back to being civil will be called a RINO at least, and likely a traitor or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just because judges are extra special kind of assholes around elections doesn't mean we shouldn't have elections. The same could be said of politicians crafting legislation, but nobody is arguing that we should stop electing politicians just because they make unpopular decisions at the end of their terms.

Once again, I would attribute this to the local politics of the states in which elected judges serve, not the system of electing judges.

You are arguing like a 16 year old libertarian.

"I have fundamental assumptions that guide all of my views on every issue so I'm sticking to my opinion no matter how much real world evidence shows that my idea is complete bullshit."

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean, this literally happened today:

https://twitter.com/Lexi_Caly/status/1345716483024949248

We live in a racist society, sure. But cops are a special kind of racist.

:crossarms: You sure this picture was from today? It was posted today by a random twitter account, but I am doubting it was a picture from today. When I did a quick search for DC/Proud Boys rally, I didn't find anything listed for today...

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

predicto posted:

You are arguing like a 16 year old libertarian.

"I have fundamental assumptions that guide all of my views on every issue so I'm sticking to my opinion no matter how much real world evidence shows that my idea is complete bullshit."

Wow, and you see no irony in your last post:

predicto posted:

To be clear, that is because blue states tend to choose policies that are less hosed up than red states.

And having politician/judges is hosed up

Just flying by the ideal that blue == good red == bad.

Let's completely ignore that one of the world's largest slave labor force is run by the bluest state in the nation. No, surely because it is a law in a blue state, it must be better than a law in a red state.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kalit posted:

Are you loving serious?? Bush was an rear end in a top hat/idiot, but this is a ridiculous statement in a comparison against Trump.

A week after 9/11, he was pleading with the public to not blame Muslims on the 9/11 attack: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-george-w-bush-on-islam-20170131-htmlstory.html

Meanwhile, Trump was claiming that Muslims in NJ was cheering after 9/11 (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/29/donald-trump-muslims-cheering-911-attacks).

Yeah Bush, his AGs, and the various national security letters he staffed wrought a helluva lot worse things to the Muslim community than Trump did. After 9/11 thousands of Muslims were literally rounded up without any due process or protections just for being Muslims

https://www.soundvision.com/article/in-a-virtual-internment-camp-muslim-americans-since-911

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Shageletic posted:

Yeah Bush, his AGs, and the various national security letters he staffed wrought a helluva lot worse things to the Muslim community than Trump did. After 9/11 thousands of Muslims were literally rounded up without any due process or protections just for being Muslims

https://www.soundvision.com/article/in-a-virtual-internment-camp-muslim-americans-since-911

I already listed a disclaimer about differentiating between administration and personal malice if you looked further down on that same page:

Kalit posted:

I edited my post, but to re-iterate:

To clarify, I'm not trying to say that the Trump administration is more damaging than the Bush administration towards Musllims overall. I'm saying that Trump personally has more malice towards Muslim than Bush personally does, which is how I interpreted Cpt_Obvious's post.

Cpt_Obvious, I'm sorry if I mis-interpreted your post and you meant the Bush administration

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kalit posted:

I already listed a disclaimer about differentiating between administration and personal malice if you looked further down on that same page:

Lol I have no idea what this means. Are you a some sort of political telepath.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Kalit posted:

:crossarms: You sure this picture was from today? It was posted today by a random twitter account, but I am doubting it was a picture from today. When I did a quick search for DC/Proud Boys rally, I didn't find anything listed for today...

It was rainy, lovely, and cold in DC today. That pic is not from today.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Im Muslim and I remember the aughts and they were way scarier to be a Muslim than now. gently caress your intent dude thats nonsense.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Lol I have no idea what this means. Are you a some sort of political telepath.

If you would bother to read upthread, you could figure it out. But since you seem incapable of that, let me post the upthread comments. This post was in reply to:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Are you really going to ignore Bush's burning hatred for Muslims?

Which was in response to this:

Pick posted:

Bush was considerably less anti-Latino (part of his great success with them in 2004), and he was more effectively forever-warry. If you're John Bolton you're sad.

Which was in response to this:

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I can’t really grasp how anyone who was satisfied with Bush would be unsatisfied with trump other than on grounds of competence.

So basically, I interpreted Cpt_Obvious as stating they felt like W Bush had a personal burning hatred for Muslims relative to Trump. I might have misinterpreted this as personal vs Bush administration had a burning hatred for Muslims relative to the Trump administration. But it is a very unclear statement.

E:

Shageletic posted:

Im Muslim and I remember the aughts and they were way scarier to be a Muslim than now. gently caress your intent dude thats nonsense.

I'm sorry to tell you, but your feelings do not reflect the actual number of hate crimes against Muslims in the USA being reported: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/11/15/assaults-against-muslims-in-u-s-surpass-2001-level/

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 4, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Rudy is back on the case

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1345924505483546624

The fact that the smart potential candidates for 2024 are not going with this is interesting. It may very well fracture the GOP into a regional party that never holds a majority again, but I won't hold my breath.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the idea that bush couldn't have hated muslims because he said the most weak rear end 'uh not literally every muslim is a terrorist' statement is some genuine baby brain poo poo and maybe the most intellectually dishonest thing posted in this thread, to the point where you are now telling muslim posters how to feel.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Wow, and you see no irony in your last post:

Just flying by the ideal that blue == good red == bad.

Let's completely ignore that one of the world's largest slave labor force is run by the bluest state in the nation. No, surely because it is a law in a blue state, it must be better than a law in a red state.

I'm actually flying by the idea that I actually am an attorney, I work within the judiciary branch, I work directly with judges, Democrats and Republicans, and I actually know how the system works.

You are operating on the idea that "Democracy is good and therefore everything should be elected." It's a broad brush that doesn't work here.

By the way, the reason that California has so many draconian criminal laws and jammed prisons and budget problems is because we have voter initiatives - the stupid loving voters vote for those things and the Legislature and Courts are unable to overrule them. Voting on things that people don't understand has hosed this state over something fierce.

predicto fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 4, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

the idea that bush couldn't have hated muslims because he said the most weak rear end 'uh not literally every muslim is a terrorist' statement is some genuine baby brain poo poo and maybe the most intellectually dishonest thing posted in this thread, to the point where you are now telling muslim posters how to feel.

I said relative to Trump, please do not put words in my mouth, TIA. And I didn't tell Muslim posters how to feel, I simply pointed out that reported Muslim hate crimes are higher in 2017 compared to any point since 2001.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 4, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kalit posted:

I said relative to Trump, please do not put words in my mouth TIA

they both loving hate muslims my dude! What is the point of trying to say 'but bush hated them LESS'? Like, unless your last name is fuckin 'Bush' this is incredibly pathetic and bullheaded. They both hate muslims, they both did horrible damage to muslims, they both killed countless muslims and persecuted muslim citizens, why are you so loving invested in trying to make people agree one of them maybe hated muslims less???

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

they both loving hate muslims my dude! What is the point of trying to say 'but bush hated them LESS'? Like, unless your last name is fuckin 'Bush' this is incredibly pathetic and bullheaded. They both hate muslims, they both did horrible damage to muslims, they both killed countless muslims and persecuted muslim citizens, why are you so loving invested in trying to make people agree one of them maybe hated muslims less???

Because Cpt_Obvious was trying to make it painfully clear that they thought that Bush [personally, as I interpreted it] hated Muslims so much more when arguing about Bush v Trump. Read the context. Also, please don't say "my dude" to me, it's gross and gender assuming.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

The thing is - the neocons were evil and they were also stupid. They actually thought they were going to transform the middle east into a paradise by taking down Saddam by military means, genuinely believed that there would be no real resistance or complications, and genuinely believed they were helping Muslims by doing it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kalit posted:

Because Cpt_Obvious was trying to make it painfully clear that they thought that Bush hated Muslims so much more when arguing about Bush v Trump. Read the context.

the thing that triggered your multipage meltdown about 'how can you say he hated muslims, he said a thing once!!!' was literally Obvious describing it as a 'burning hatred' which you clearly felt was unfair

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

predicto posted:

The thing is - the neocons were evil and they were also stupid. They actually thought they were going to transform the middle east into a paradise by taking down Saddam by military means, genuinely believed that there would be no real resistance or complications, and genuinely believed they were helping Muslims by doing it.

right, a lot of slave masters thought they were helping black people too but I don't think a lot of people would say it's unfair to describe them as 'hating' black people

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Rudy is back on the case

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1345924505483546624

The fact that the smart potential candidates for 2024 are not going with this is interesting. It may very well fracture the GOP into a regional party that never holds a majority again, but I won't hold my breath.

idk. maybe. i think this will hurt the GOP alot more than we suspect. i just hope everything goes good with the runoff.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

BigglesSWE posted:

So I guess the playbook for the GOP going forward will be to drum up the “stolen election” talking points all the way to 2024, and trust the media circus around it to just overwhelm any and all contrary evidence of that?
Yeah, I feel like the damage has already been done to our republic and I can't see a way forward that fixes it. Going forward, one of the two major parties will be screaming ad infinitum about fraud, clogging the system with lawsuits, and filling the airwaves with propaganda that's going to further exacerbate the divide in this country.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

right, a lot of slave masters thought they were helping black people too but I don't think a lot of people would say it's unfair to describe them as 'hating' black people

errrr, ok. Not sure that analogy works.

The neocons actually thought they were liberating the middle east from dictators. They were wrong and stupid and arrogant and dishonest, but that is what they thought they were doing.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

the thing that triggered your multipage meltdown about 'how can you say he hated muslims, he said a thing once!!!' was literally Obvious describing it as a 'burning hatred' which you clearly felt was unfair

"multipage meltdown"? I made...4 posts about it 5 pages ago. And then Shagaletic dragged it up again this page :rolleyes:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

predicto posted:

You are operating on the idea that "Democracy is good and therefore everything should be elected." It's a broad brush that doesn't work here.

How is this:

predicto posted:

To be clear, that is because blue states tend to choose policies that are less hosed up than red states.
not "a broad brush that doesn't work"?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How is this:

I also specifically explained exactly why elected judges are a bad idea as a matter of public policy. So did other posters.

The broad brush is all you have.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Abner Assington posted:

Yeah, I feel like the damage has already been done to our republic and I can't see a way forward that fixes it. Going forward, one of the two major parties will be screaming ad infinitum about fraud, clogging the system with lawsuits, and filling the airwaves with propaganda that's going to further exacerbate the divide in this country.

Yeah Trump started saying the quiet bits loud and that’s all she wrote. Now that the right wing media has the go ahead to stop with implied treason and winky-nudgy “oh we’re just asking questions!” and just go straight to “coming up on FOX: demicrats drinking baby blood for breakfast! The newest development from the hill!”, the people who wants to hate but need a dogmegaphone to catch the hint finally snaps to attention.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How is this:

While you're clarifying posts, can you please clarify your claim of this (emphasis is mine):

Kalit posted:

Shitshow posted:

It was rainy, lovely, and cold in DC today. That pic is not from today.

TIA

Kalit fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 4, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kalit posted:

While you're clarifying posts, can you please correct your claim of this:

TIA

LOL, ok, you got me. My evidence that cops are racist was misdated. That has absolutely no effect on the proof itself. Thank you for your input.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

LOL, ok, you got me. My evidence that cops are racist was misdated. That has absolutely no effect on the proof itself. Thank you for your input.

Thank you for admitting it. Please don't use random twitter account posts as evidence in the future.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

'my post was wrong but it was true in spirit' strong Jonah Goldberg energy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Do we need to post the New York Police Union rallying for Trump?

He's entirely correct about police racism, we have an entire movement about both the racism in the Justice System and Policing. Its not a false claim.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

predicto posted:

The neocons actually thought they were liberating the middle east from dictators. They were wrong and stupid and arrogant and dishonest, but that is what they thought they were doing.

Many people who supported slavery also actually thought they were doing the right thing. They believed, without reservation, that the life of a slave was preferable to allowing someone without the mental capacity to rule themselves. In part this was propaganda to make slavery more palatable to the masses, but a large portion of the country believed it to be 100% scientifically sound. A lot of really dumb ideas with really bad results are fervently believed.

Hatred often manifests as paternalism, because hating people for what they are can cause a lot of cognitive dissonance, so for a lot of people it gets translated to "I don't hate them, I hate what they do and they can't help it."

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm listening to the entire trump call, and he just gets more and more unhinged as it goes on.

it's breathtaking that this is the president of the United States.

incidentally, the real good stuff is from about minute 35 to minute 50.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
If you keep running into issues where the data don’t support Theory, maybe at some point you reevaluate or adjust Theory to better reflect observed reality, instead of disbelieving all the data.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Kalit posted:

Thank you for admitting it. Please don't use random twitter account posts as evidence in the future.

Please address the meat of what's being argued, instead of this pedantic poo poo, TIA. Also Kalit, don't backseat mod.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Majorian posted:

Please address the meat of what's being argued, instead of this pedantic poo poo, TIA. Also Kalit, don't backseat mod.

Sorry, I won't offer advice on how people can stop posting lies in the future.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kalit posted:

Sorry, I won't offer advice on how people can stop posting lies in the future.

Oh, now I'm a liar.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
No more metaposting/posting about posters, please.

predicto posted:

errrr, ok. Not sure that analogy works.

I don't know if we can take this as a given. It seems just as likely to me that they just didn't, you know, care, and were only interested in expanding the empire.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
this entire thread is nuts, uber turned off $100 mil of their $150 mil ad budget and had literally zero effect on their new user acquisition

https://twitter.com/nandoodles/status/1345774768746852353

i've long suspected that online advertising is a scam, but not nearly to this extent. Lmao, its nothing but parasites parasitizing parasites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

haw haw