Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

PostNouveau posted:

This thread is often like "Well the inexperienced climbers are idiots, but the guys who know what they're doing are super cool heroes"

They're all loving stupid. It's a stupid thing to do. Being an experienced 8,000m climber just means you did a loving stupid thing more than other people.

It feels like something to do for people who in the olden days would have gone off to fight as front-line mercenaries in wars they had no part in. You need to place fairly limited value on human life, and yours in particular, but you're at least going to come back with some great stories and you might actually feel alive for a few fleeting moments before some anabaptist pours a bucket of boiling tar on your head.

Now imagine becoming a mercenary, except now you're only doing it to prove something to all the kids who threw turnips at you. And all you end up doing is marching around aimlessly and catching dysentery. And also it costs $100,000 for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I assume mercenaries got paid and weren't just bored rich morons

it's more like the British nobility signing up to be officers and charging into machine gun trenches

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like the idea that oxygen is "cheating." Are synthetic fibers cheating? How about polarized lenses? How about using a radio? At exactly what technological line does it stop being cheating, and start being properly hardcore?

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Is there some kind of steroid or blood doping routine or something you can do for Everest? Im surprised we've never heard of anyone trying that yet.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
epo is basically a medical way of pretending to your blood that youre a sherpa
also some dudes died from fuckin up dexamathasone couplea times iirc

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Here's an account of how Everest is stupid/dex fucks you up

https://www.outsideonline.com/1914501/climbings-little-helper

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Not just that but as far as I can tell Sherpas aren't automatically immune to altitude sickness, but they believe that myth themselves, sometimes to their detriment.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tbh putting practically no value on your life is kinda metal and I respect it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Tbh putting practically no value on your life is kinda metal and I respect it

Yeah, honestly if noone else is in danger, you don't have kids or dependants and you don't expect body recovery I say go for it.

Leperflesh posted:

I like the idea that oxygen is "cheating." Are synthetic fibers cheating? How about polarized lenses? How about using a radio? At exactly what technological line does it stop being cheating, and start being properly hardcore?

BRB, gonna be the first person to summit Everest equipped with their own gear.

Starting off buck rear end naked in Africa, knap a knife from some flint, hunt down an animal for food and skins and take it from there. Projected summit in 2032.

E: this cut on my foot looks kinda swollen

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Poultices are cheating

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Climbing but make it paleo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Outrail posted:

Just rinse that poo poo off bro it's fine

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Outrail posted:

Yeah, honestly if noone else is in danger, you don't have kids or dependants and you don't expect body recovery I say go for it.

Starting off buck rear end naked in Africa, knap a knife from some flint, hunt down an animal for food and skins and take it from there. Projected summit in 2032.

This is pretty much how Maurice Wilson got his start- after a lot of drama, he showed up at a monastery in the area and the last mountaineer that had been there left equipment so I say trust in God to provide.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Outrail posted:

You just have to whizz on your feet like an ultra-marathon runner, duh.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Maurice Wilson's story is wild from start to finish. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Wilson

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Aegis Bear posted:

Man if they want to die that bad, there’s a million cheaper ways to accomplish it. I’m glad it’s going to be undertaken by actual climbers and not some dumbass tourists being hauled up a mountain by weary Sherpas but still, K2? Without oxygen?!

Carla Perez and Adrian Ballinger (without oxygen) did it in 2019 after summiting Everest (with oxygen) that year as part of their day jobs as guides. That's right, they decided it would be great fun to climb K2 at the worst time of year after the Everest summit season and after they had expended significant physical effort on that mountain. These guys are smart. Oh, almost forgot, they had to walk about 90km into the base camp as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvFt2Xcuois

Although, as the film notes, they wisely have no plans to ever climb K2 ever again. This is another irritating movie where they show nothing of the climb back down which is the most dangerous part of the whole thing. But it is one of a very few movies that takes time to document some of the acclimatization process, presumably because somehow the director thought this was more gripping viewing than a climb down, so there's that.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 22, 2020

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Outrail posted:

The book No Picnic In Mount Kenya is a great story of this kind of thing. It's the true story of a group of Italian POWs in WW2 in a prisoner camp, captured by the British in Africa early in the war. They look at Mount Kenya from the camp and think it looks rad. They construct their own climbing equipment in the POW camp, break out, hike to the mountain, climb to the lower second summit which is as far as they can get, go back to the prison camp, break back in, and turn themselves in.

Mount Kenya is a decently legit mountain, so it's a pretty impressive feat:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
If you want to get really cross, there is this documentary I watched the other night which focuses on the dirt poor Pakistani guys who lug all the poo poo to base camp. Tbh I don't think anyone really comes out of it looking so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Lgf8CJnpI

A lot of the porters have to live in underground hovel-holes for half the year with their 14 children. (No condoms allowed you see) They can only subsist on the terrible wages they get from portering because there are no other jobs, and all those children get no education so they end up falling into the same portering jobs. An endless cycle.

The thought occurred to me, why aren't the Westerners or First World people paying them more, or just giving them some actual decent shoes?? They are walking around in knackered flip-flops with minimum 25kg strapped to their backs over rocky terrain, sleeping under plastic sheets and eating gruel. But then... if they treated them humanely then :byodood: they might want better wages or access to some basic human rights :byodood: and then it would cost more to climb. They want to keep them as human cattle. It's gross.

There is some lip service paid where an Italian climber trained some of them up to summit K2, but how about getting the kids some educational tools and helping them get a better life....? Oh. No, that would cost us more to climb.

Maybe my mind is in a negative place but it gave me a lot of conflicting feelings about both the porters and the climbers and the people filming it (who make it very clear they don't want to be there) I'd be interested to read some other opinions.

On the plus side, it is beautifully shot. I guess that is something.

ETA- actually some of the editing has a really odd cadence to it, it's cut a little too fast but I think they were going for an oppressive, heart-beating kind of effect.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 22, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Tibetans have a genetic difference that helps with high altitude functioning:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/07/tibetans-inherited-high-altitude-gene-ancient-human

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Rondette posted:

If you want to get really cross, there is this documentary I watched the other night which focuses on the dirt poor Pakistani guys who lug all the poo poo to base camp. Tbh I don't think anyone really comes out of it looking so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Lgf8CJnpI

A lot of the porters have to live in underground hovel-holes for half the year with their 14 children. (No condoms allowed you see) They can only subsist on the terrible wages they get from portering because there are no other jobs, and all those children get no education so they end up falling into the same portering jobs. An endless cycle.

The thought occurred to me, why aren't the Westerners or First World people paying them more, or just giving them some actual decent shoes?? They are walking around in knackered flip-flops with minimum 25kg strapped to their backs over rocky terrain, sleeping under plastic sheets and eating gruel. But then... if they treated them humanely then :byodood: they might want better wages or access to some basic human rights :byodood: and then it would cost more to climb. They want to keep them as human cattle. It's gross.

There is some lip service paid where an Italian climber trained some of them up to summit K2, but how about getting the kids some educational tools and helping them get a better life....? Oh. No, that would cost us more to climb.

Maybe my mind is in a negative place but it gave me a lot of conflicting feelings about both the porters and the climbers and the people filming it (who make it very clear they don't want to be there) I'd be interested to read some other opinions.

On the plus side, it is beautifully shot. I guess that is something.

ETA- actually some of the editing has a really odd cadence to it, it's cut a little too fast but I think they were going for an oppressive, heart-beating kind of effect.

I watched this last night and it was depressing. It's basically slave labour the porters literally have nothing and nowhere to go and the climbers come off as complete assholes. Like the one person going, "wow the porters are so helpful they're already carrying 50kg and I'm tired so they help me carry my weight lol" while the porter is emaciated wearing rags and awful footwear.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't watched the film yet but I recognize some of the climber names, and that might be the expedition that featured a porter strike when people (other than the named climbers) refused to tip the porters :10bux:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Empty Sandwich posted:

Tibetans have a genetic difference that helps with high altitude functioning:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/07/tibetans-inherited-high-altitude-gene-ancient-human

Economic desperation isn't hereditary.

Oh, wait.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

I haven't watched the film yet but I recognize some of the climber names, and that might be the expedition that featured a porter strike when people (other than the named climbers) refused to tip the porters :10bux:

Is that the one where one of the climbers says "can we speak to their owner?" :cripes:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

The reason there's so many tech bros is so they can put it on their resume to show what a hard charging alpha dog they are, having climbed the worlds highest mountain. Also that they have no prob paying employees slave wages to risk their lives carrying their luggage up the worlds highest mountain then taking the credit. It's big bragging rights among the psychopath CEO culture.

For something completely opposite, here's the gutsy Polish guy story from one of the earlier threads. Unfortunately I've forgotten who wrote it.

quote:

In 2005, this middle aged Polish guy arrived at Base Camp without a permit to climb on Everest, but fully intended to try anyway, going unnoticed. He had very little money and basic equipment, but felt stong and capable enough to take on the mountain and at one point made it all the way through the Icefall and up to Camp I. Some of the larger guide services made note of his presence but he spoke little English, wasn't very friendly, and seemed to be able to take care of himself. So they left him alone and only saw him on the periphery while they looked after their clients. As we have seen from our limited time here, the Nepalis take their high dollar Everest climbing permits VERY seriously. But, we have also seen that if you were to go incognito enough, there is a good chance that you could go unnoticed. That is, unless a dramatic or tragic event changed your anonymous status quickly.

In 2005, something happened at Camp I that everyone prepares for, but almost never happens- a huge avalanche calved off of Everest's West Face that was large enough that it literally washed over Camp I. More or less a hundred year avalanche. Dozens of tents were flattened from the air blast alone, almost all were covered, and if you hadn't placed your tents on the high ground fingers (like where ours are located), you were in jeopardy. By some stroke of luck though, most climbers were down in Base Camp that day and at the time the avalanche struck, Camp I was almost deserted. The Polish Guy was unique- he had elected to stay in Camp I along with a small handfull of others that day. When the avalanche hit, he apparently jumped out of his tent to film the thousand tons of snow and ice as it moved in on Camp I- not exactly something that's recommended. But he was a tough old guy and must have thought he'd be ok. As an avalanche moves forward, it is preceeded by a wall air- a blast wave that pushes things down quickly and with force before the mass of snow comes along and washes everything in white and sweeps it along as the avalanche travels on it's way.

It was this wall of air that seems to have done the most damage to the Polish Guy, who had his camcorder pressed up to his face at the time he was hit. Out in front, the solid air slammed the camcorder with such force that it cut his face in many places and people afterwards wondered if you might be able to read "SONY" imprinted backwards on his forehead. Word of the avalanche reached Base Camp, and rescuers quickly pressed out, reaching Camp I in record time. Dazed and confused, the Polish Guy was already staggering down the mountain with only what he had on, still bleeding and face all smashed up. He clearly knew that he'd be found out and didn't want to pay a massive fine, thrown into a Nepali jail for climbing without a permit. As he passed several rescuers enroute down the Icefall, he gruffly waved off care and just kept on going. The confused rescuers didn't know what they would find up at Camp I, so they kept moving up and figured the Polish Guy would be taken care of by someone else further down below.

Upon arrival at Camp I, the rescuers found what remained of the Polish Guy's tent- just an old, small job barely bigger than a kitchen table. Peering inside, they found: gas for boiling water and a very large bottle of vodka. That was it. Nothing more, nothing less. Gas and vodka. To climb Everest. The rescuers radioed that back, almost laughing in disbelief at how Spartan this guy's tent was. But by now the Nepali authorities knew about him and also knew he didn't have a climbing permit so they were actively looking for him with vigor. They didn't think it was very funny for sure. He wasn't in Base Camp, so the Nepalis figured he must still be coming down through the Icefall and focused their energy there. After a few hours he was nowhere to be found and they realized that despite their best efforts, he had somehow slipped the noose.

Several days later, the climbing community at Base Camp learned of his fate: Somehow, the Polish Guy had made it all the way to New Delhi, India and repatriated back to Poland from the Embassy there. New Delhi? Apparently, the Polish Guy had managed to walk close to 100 kilometers in the exact same climbing clothes that he had been wearing when hit in an avalanche at Camp I in the Western Cwm. Bleeding, injured, and only with the clothes on his back, he downclimbed through the Icefall, and no one noticed as he traveled all the way through the Khumbu Valley, out through Lukla and into Kathmandu.

From there, he likely took a bus across the border and all the way to New Delhi. He didn't have much money, so people speculate that he sold his climbing boots in Kathmandu for just enough money for bus fare to leave the country unnoticed. Even today, when you enter the Sagarmartha National Park gate near Lukla there is a picture of the Polish Guy looking all gruff and dazed on a ratty wanted poster that has likely been there since a few days after he ran off in 2005. My guess? He made it home, started putting back his loved vodka, told his tale to friends and family who called him a crazy nut, and he gave up on Everest completely.
I think someone already posted a link to the full story. Also ps. to mods, you'll notice a couple of people who really, really hate Everest threads but cannot help reading them and will report them regularly like shocked Concerned Mothers.

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 24, 2020

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Syd Midnight posted:

Also ps. to mods, you'll notice a couple of people who really, really hate Everest threads but cannot help reading them and will report them regularly like shocked Concerned Mothers.

I'm well aware, saw it doom/strangle multiple Everest threads in the past. Report them and they'll be punished, this thread is too cool to die.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Joke’s on you, the Polish Guy is now the psychopathic CEO of PlumbCo, the largest multinational plumbing conglomerate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Polish guy summited while noone was watching and got hit by the avalanche on his way down. You can't convince me otherwise.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Outrail posted:

Polish guy summited while noone was watching and got hit by the avalanche on his way down. You can't convince me otherwise.

Print the legend.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Yeah, I can see the attraction in getting to base camp and hiking around to see astounding scenery, but actually attempting summitting just seems like weird masochism and a pointless gamble for your life & safety. And that's besides all the weird implications about pollution and exploitation.

The world is a massive place, there is stunning scenery literally everywhere

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aegis Bear how long have you been a mod? I feel like you may not have been one when we were posting together in the DB Super thread? Either way gratz

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Buttcoin purse posted:

Is that the one where one of the climbers says "can we speak to their owner?" :cripes:

That was Sherpa, where the guy running the main camp and expedition Russel Brice was complaining that it was only a few troublemaker Sherpas leading the boycott and they were riling the others up into "mob rule" and it was difficult to stop, and that's when this American guy pipes up and uses "employers" and "owners" interchangeably when asking whether they can just contact their employers and just sack them and get rid of them. Brice repeatedly called them "irrational" and seemed to think that was the only explanation, which is the irrational response of a businessman who just wants his cheap labor to keep on trudging up a dangerous icefall all night so his important clients can have a cup of tea at camp two.

Not one of them was interested in fixing the problems they had caused for the sherpas, namely that Everest is such big business they were having to start doing portage in the early morning just to keep up with demand which was going to lead to this kind of accident sooner or later, they were not paying them fairly and were under no compulsion by the government to do so. They preferred to blame the government for not sharing their take of the money (of course, why would they share theirs? :rolleyes:), and were highly miffed when government attempts to calm the Sherpas only made them angrier. But then Brice has to deal with the Sherpas he has that do want to keep climbing potentially being called out for breaking the boycott and being attacked and makes a big deal about this instead and tells the clients it's all off.

And it's then that our same American tells us that these Sherpas are the new definition of 'terrorist': someone who makes demands and threatens violence because they won't lug his gear up the mountain for him and literally links them to 9/11. Well they never threatened him with violence and they didn't make demands of him, but of the people who are underpaying them for a very dangerous job that should be made safer by not climbing in the morning, but Americans seem to be simple people who get mad when their toys are taken away. Merry Christmas.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

nooooooooo

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I’d like to talk to the owner of that unlucky Sherpa

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

ewe2 posted:

Carla Perez and Adrian Ballinger (without oxygen) did it in 2019 after summiting Everest (with oxygen) that year as part of their day jobs as guides. That's right, they decided it would be great fun to climb K2 at the worst time of year after the Everest summit season and after they had expended significant physical effort on that mountain. These guys are smart. Oh, almost forgot, they had to walk about 90km into the base camp as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvFt2Xcuois

Although, as the film notes, they wisely have no plans to ever climb K2 ever again. This is another irritating movie where they show nothing of the climb back down which is the most dangerous part of the whole thing. But it is one of a very few movies that takes time to document some of the acclimatization process, presumably because somehow the director thought this was more gripping viewing than a climb down, so there's that.

Thanks for posting that. You're right, the acclimatization was interesting, as was the process of driving there.

There are some remarkable drone shots that really give a much better feel for the places they are in than I've ever seen before. BUT, there's no credits or any information about the drone photography or about the camera gear used. They seemed to show a tiny camera at one point that looked like a hand-held E.T. doll or something, an item I've never seen before. I would also think that there has to be an altitude limit for drone use, and that base camp might be near it, but nothing in the video.

Also, this was an Eddie Bauer sponsored and branded expedition, using lots of Eddie Bauer gear, but I can't find anything about that gear on the Eddie Bauer website. Not that I want to dress like my favorite climber(s), but it would be interesting to know what kinds of stuff meets the needs of a place like that.

Any ideas about any of that?

Regardless, it was interesting to see how the five of them interacted and acted goofy together in what must have been an incredibly stressful and uncertain situation.

Hmmm, I see in the Cinematography credits at the end there were actually six of them. Action photographer Ming Poon, originally from Beijing and now from Lake Tahoe, was there, too. Maybe he ran the drone?

Regardless, the video was wonderful and informative. Thanks again.

EDIT: Ming Poon links (SFW despite the name):

https://fstopgear.com/team/ambassadors/ming-poon

https://www.mingpoonphotography.com/?_ga=2.233379678.1537836139.1608929579-2013325069.1608929579

Guineapig fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 25, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I would respect someone who stripped down to nothing and let their corpse freeze so as to recreate, "Pompeii Jerking It" guy. Preferably at the summit bottleneck where removal is impossible.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Blistex posted:

I would respect someone who stripped down to nothing and let their corpse freeze so as to recreate, "Pompeii Jerking It" guy. Preferably at the summit bottleneck where removal is impossible.

On the opposite end of spectrum, here's the other quote I saved from one of the previous threads. The context was "the worst possible way to die on Everest", and I believe this was the winner...

Leperflesh posted:

20. You get to the one really scary part of the climb, this ladder that you have to go up by yourself. You are way too scared and you just stop there while you burn through oxygen tanks and the sherpas first try nicely to coax you to proceed and then start yelling at you. A huge line builds behind you and you know that by not going forward not only are you making it unlikely you can summit but you're also preventing fifty other climbers from summiting, every one of which has paid $40k to $80k to be here today. The pressure mounts but you're just too scared, sweaty palms, your breath is too short, you just know you can't do it and finally you decide you have to turn back, it's just too haaard. As you turn around and start trying to get past all the furious climbers that were waiting for your loving rear end, inching along, every one of them has unkind words for you. One of them spits in your face, another makes a point of sticking his pole between your feet to trip you up a little and you land on your face in the icy snow. You struggle to get to your feet and realize your sherpas have abandoned you because they are too busy helping all the ordinary people, women and children and old men and even a guy with no legs who are all braver than you and willing to climb up a scary ladder and the shame and disappointment is all just completely overwhelming. Your body heaves and you vomit, the steaming liquid pouring down your chin and into your parka, spattering your clothes and you piss yourself in fear as you realize you are probably going to die. Finally as you try to rise from your knees you realize everyone has passed you by, and you are finally alone. The sky is darkening, snow flurries are whipping about, and you feel disoriented and lost and your terror overwhelms you. You take a wrong step and feel a sudden sharp agony as the bones in your ankle twist and snap. You faint, sprawling in the snow, sliding a few yards where you become wedged head-down in the ice, your ice pick lost. You briefly come to, managing to just turn yourself face up, but as the blackness overcomes you once again you know that you are going to die here. Over the next two days, you swim in and out of consciousness, feeling each time the burning agony of your broken leg, your eyes and mouth dry and cracked from exposure and lack of moisture, without any oxygen left you pant laboriously without ever getting enough air to even attempt to get to your knees and crawl back to camp four. Finally you die, alone and detested. Unbeknownst to you, but beknownst to everyone else involved with Everest for the next century, because of your cowardice seventeen other climbers died that day on Everest, including several sherpas and other climbers who heroically attempted to come to the rescue of the climbers who were held up by your unconscionable behavior. Your body remains where it lies, becoming dessicated and mummified, recognisable by the trail of vomit and you are forevermore known as "Barf rear end in a top hat," the person whose actions led to the worst disaster on Everest in history.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Pour one out for the sherpas but everyone else deserves what they get imo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I really want to see a documentary or mockumentary from the Sherpa pov. Just full on behind the scenes commentary and inner dialogue about their clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Outrail posted:

I really want to see a documentary or mockumentary from the Sherpa pov. Just full on behind the scenes commentary and inner dialogue about their clients.

It would have to be fake or completely anonymized. Even then, some rich rear end in a top hat would sue because they think it's about them being stupid.