Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i think part of the tiny image/video issue is that google loves to copy whatever you're sending to its own servers, so if you hangouts message someone a picture, it actually uploads a lower res version to some google server and that's what they see, not the actual file that you've copy/pasted

same thing with just pasting a link, the recipient can click your link but it wraps it up in a google redirect link so they can track it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
haha cool

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

my wife uses google fi and when she texts me video mms's they come through the size of a postage stamp and you can't tell what the hell is going on. I assume this is something google is doing because it saves them a fraction of a penny

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've got a group chat with my brothers and the android users do the same thing, so it's across the board.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think the video thing is an android issue, I’ve had work group chats were all but one person is iPhone but because of the android user it forces it into mms for video but everyone’s videos come through like that. I mean essentially it’s the person purchasing the bad phone that causes it, but mms is just poo poo garbage that is like 20 years old.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i don't know what a goodlock is but samsung lol

bull3964 posted:

It's nice that Samsung was able to get OneUI 3.0 and Android 11 out before the end of the year.

That said, it's so Samsung to not have all their GoodLock plugins updated for OneUI 3.0. So all the UI customizations are poof, gone until some future date.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

good lock!

you’ll need it!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ah, this must be the samsung update my partner was complaining about

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t think the video thing is an android issue, I’ve had work group chats were all but one person is iPhone but because of the android user it forces it into mms for video but everyone’s videos come through like that. I mean essentially it’s the person purchasing the bad phone that causes it, but mms is just poo poo garbage that is like 20 years old.

yeah, that sounds like a lowest common denominator messaging behavior, that size might even be set by the carrier to a certain limit or cross-network maximum. old sms and mms poo poo is so annoying

Midjack posted:

good lock!

you’ll need it!

holy gently caress. that takes me back

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Anyone know why my Pixel is going black and when I open it this shows up:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my phone no longer detects my sim card hail satan

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
mine did that after i left my phone it in my swimsuit pocket and went for a good swim

the phone was toast (in retrospecxt), but i tried to power it on too early after drying it out in a bag of rice and apparently that also fried part of the sim card, had to go to my carrier shop store to get a new one

so maybe you should not have done that too!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
nah my last phone was the one I dunked in water. I was making calls with it this afternoon. Then it just...stopped. Factory reset is no help. Scroogled again

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good battery analyzer type app? I've got a 5 year old Galaxy Note 5 and the battery is getting suuuuuper fucky. It's going to be a real pain to crack this thing open (glass-back bastard).I figure it would be best to grab a couple replacement batteries and test them out before I glue it back shut.

I'm looking for an app that could tell me just how degraded my current battery is (charge cycles and whatnot). And hopefully help me figure out which replacement battery has the best chance of keeping this phone alive for the foreseeable future. Honestly, at this point I'm not expecting a whole lot from any replacement battery. They've probably been harvested from broken Note 5's years ago and aren't that healthy now-a-days.

Why keep this ancient phone kicking? It's got most everything I want in a phone that you just can't get today (hardware home button, headphone jack, stylus, etc.), and really, ya know... other than:

...it works extremely well!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Last Day of 2020 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good battery analyzer type app? I've got a 5 year old Galaxy Note 5 and the battery is getting suuuuuper fucky. It's going to be a real pain to crack this thing open (glass-back bastard).I figure it would be best to grab a couple replacement batteries and test them out before I glue it back shut.

I'm looking for an app that could tell me just how degraded my current battery is (charge cycles and whatnot). And hopefully help me figure out which replacement battery has the best chance of keeping this phone alive for the foreseeable future. Honestly, at this point I'm not expecting a whole lot from any replacement battery. They've probably been harvested from broken Note 5's years ago and aren't that healthy now-a-days.

Why keep this ancient phone kicking? It's got most everything I want in a phone that you just can't get today (hardware home button, headphone jack, stylus, etc.), and really, ya know... other than:

source ur quotes

i looked over in dyp and couldnt find it

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

LastInLine posted:

source ur quotes

i looked over in dyp and couldnt find it

source: me, clutching a dying Note5

Maybe I should have asked in IYG but I like you guys better.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you will almost certainly not get a satisfying answer here though.

i mean, if you're choosing between pulled parts and years-old aftermarket batteries, it's only a matter of time before it blows a hole in your pants anyway. i don't know that an app will quantify how quickly that will happen

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 3, 2021

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Last Day of 2020 posted:

other than:

that last graph is art.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op i don't have anything useful to suggest - i don't think that the android ecosystem is equipped to handle the prospect of supporting and maintaining a five(!) year old telephone since every phone is expected to fail in two years or less

infernal machines posted:

it's only a matter of time before it blows a hole in your pants anyway.

isn't this what we all seek, in this yospos?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they shipped me a pixel 4a as a replacement. looks like i'll be stuck in android land for another year or however long it takes this one to break. :rip: me

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

you will almost certainly not get a satisfying answer here though.

You're probably right, I just asked in the android app thread in IYG, thank you.

i mean, if you're choosing between pulled parts and years-old aftermarket batteries, it's only a matter of time before it blows a hole in your pants anyway. i don't know that an app will quantify how quickly that will happen

gently caress man.... your probably right again :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
good luck!

if it explodes, try to be on video when it happens, for us.

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

Glass half empty ---> heatgun required to remove battery before critical failure

Glass half full ---> heatgun not required to remove battery during critical failure

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Last Day of 2020 posted:

throw it in the loving trash where it belongs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

they shipped me a pixel 4a as a replacement. looks like i'll be stuck in android land for another year or however long it takes this one to break. :rip: me

seems like you could solve this if you just followed this simple advice and

Last Chance posted:

throw it in the loving trash where it belongs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

from the dumb marketing thread

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
incredible

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Got my poco m3 yesterday. As a second phone with a cheap prepaid data plan it's honestly perfect. Huge battery, ir blaster, micro SD, and a headphone jack.

Plus the screen is surprisingly good. This thing easily puts my iPhone 11 to shame.

For the price I can't recommend it enough. The sub $300 champ right here.

wrap it up iphoneailures the poco m3 is here

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LastInLine posted:

wrap it up iphoneailures the poco m3 is here

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Last Day of 2020 posted:

source: me, clutching a dying Note5

Maybe I should have asked in IYG but I like you guys better.

first off you already know the battery is going to explode and that no replacements are available

second i assume you know that you that the support window for the note 5 ended in 2017 and that just in terms of security vulnerabilities that youre hosed already

so youre four major android versions out of date and running an os from before they started issuing monthly security updates so all the zero click driveby full owns will work on your phone and youre wondering how to prolong this situation?

just buy a new phone how hard is this

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

hello poco

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
poco is one of the mfgs that slaps a watermark onto your photos

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

poco is one of the mfgs that slaps a watermark onto your photos

LMao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

your child's first steps, brought to you by the POCO m3

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've always thought my phone was missing an ir blaster. time to get me a poco m3

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Last Chance posted:

your child's first steps, brought to you by the POCO m3

The best part is that nobody, not even the owner of the phone, will remember what poco was in five years so it’ll just be a non sequitur

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

EL BROMANCE posted:

from the dumb marketing thread

how the gently caress is an app in the google app store getting root on the phone?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
poasting from my replacement anroid. may God have mercy on my soul 🙏

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

how the gently caress is an app in the google app store getting root on the phone?

android lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
God drat it everything is gesture based now because google thinks it's apple. F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the only two gestures that are good are swipe scrolling and pinch to zoom.

unfortunately every tech company, including apple, took exactly the wrong lesson from that innovation and instead of learning "digital interfaces can benefit from physical metaphor" they now think "wow gestures are just inherently better than buttons"