Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

this vocalist (too lazy to look into it, but i suspect the band is just the vocalist and programmed music) has a vocal reaction channel on youtube that i find pretty interesting, and he seems like a nice dude.

im not super into this music and it's a bit weird that it's just him on camera in the woods some backyard the whole time (pretty much all metal videos suck) but i give him credit for "contributing" to the "scene"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

he's got good metal vox tutorials too.

Snipe Edit: get the new Steel Bearing Hand into yer earholes https://steelbearinghand.bandcamp.com/track/ripping-steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i would risk a world pandemic for MDF tbh

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Well this came out of the blue. Finnish media is reporting news from his managing agency that Alexi Laiho is dead at 41, passed away last week. His old Children of Bodom bandmates confirm the news.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This is sad as hell, but not really a surprise, I guess. Dude was unhealthy as gently caress and been a raging alcoholic since his teens.

COB was my gateway drug into death metal.

Rip guy. :(

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

FanaticalMilk posted:

I saw California Deathfest just got pushed back again to 2022 as well, not that it's a surprise at this point.

I'm still bummed about Rotting Christ/Borknagar tour getting cancelled. That tour's not gonna even be possible till 2022 at the earliest. I was so hyped for that poo poo.

That and seeing Demilich a 2nd time, seeing Spectral Voice, seeing Om at an arboretum, Candlemass, Rippikoulu & Chthe'ilist, Amorphis & Entombed. And that's not even half of the cancelled concerts I had tickets for.

I'm so desperate for live music I actually thought about seeing David Ellefson's cover band in the middle of November.

I just watched the live set Exhumed released a couple of weeks ago and drat is it good. I am seriously jonesing for live shows to return :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Lunsku posted:

Well this came out of the blue. Finnish media is reporting news from his managing agency that Alexi Laiho is dead at 41, passed away last week. His old Children of Bodom bandmates confirm the news.

oh poo poo that sucks. Time to spin Hatecrew Deathroll.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God drat MF DOOM and now this poo poo? All the people who got me through the 2000s are checking out apparently, loving hell. RIP.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/bHx51qcSNqw

mmm sausages

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat, a lot of us cut our teeth on Children of Bodom when it came to getting into more “extreme” metal back in the day. This is really sad news. He was so young.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N24FVJ2NUv0

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

drat, a lot of us cut our teeth on Children of Bodom when it came to getting into more “extreme” metal back in the day. This is really sad news. He was so young.

100% Something Wild was definitely one of the first albums with harsh vocals that I got into.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Man Alexi Laiho was only 41, what lovely news. RIP.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdyrPbPL6FE

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

No matter what you thought of their music, Alexi was an undisputedly excellent song writer and guitarist, and I'm another person who had their entire appreciation for new forms of music shaped by CoB's earlier albums. RIP

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've never listened to CoB besides their Britney cover, what should I listen to to start?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I've never listened to CoB besides their Britney cover, what should I listen to to start?

Follow the Reaper and Hatebreeder.

Bodom was the most fun part of my first ever metal show—Gigantour 2008.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I guess I should've known this is something they did regularly. Though when I saw them they stuck the sausages on a scythe blade instead of just some stick, which was extra metal.

I was never a fan, but I respect CoB for their role in the Finnish metal scene. This loving sucks. :smith: And I never realised he was only three years older than me (EDIT: Consequently I also now realise he was just 18 when they released their debut). God drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cEK1OLhUKQ

Vintersorg posted:

drat, a lot of us cut our teeth on Children of Bodom when it came to getting into more “extreme” metal back in the day.

Also this, they certainly played a big part in getting me over my intolerance for harsher vocals. I never got super into them but I remember digging songs like Downfall despite hating the vocals. It was other bands that finally broke the bank, but CoB laid a lot of the groundwork, so to speak.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 4, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The live in Japan album is amazing too. The crowd was super into it - not surprising since speed metal is king in Japan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t mean this as a backhanded compliment when I say few bands were ever better specifically for 14-year-olds.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Nordick posted:

I guess I should've known this is something they did regularly. Though when I saw them they stuck the sausages on a scythe blade instead of just some stick, which was extra metal.

I was never a fan, but I respect CoB for their role in the Finnish metal scene. This loving sucks. :smith: And I never realised he was only three years older than me (EDIT: Consequently I also now realise he was just 18 when they released their debut). God drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cEK1OLhUKQ

Also this, they certainly played a big part in getting me over my intolerance for harsher vocals. I never got super into them but I remember digging songs like Downfall despite hating the vocals. It was other bands that finally broke the bank, but CoB laid a lot of the groundwork, so to speak.

that album (and that specific song) was my intro to death metal along with In Flames' Clayman, DT's Damage Done, and Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos

i haven't cared much about CoB in a long time but I'll always love their old poo poo

RIP to a legend

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I found out that one of my favorite coworkers died, and then like 30 minutes later, this. Mondays, amirite? :haw: :smith: :cry:

Geisladisk posted:

This is sad as hell, but not really a surprise, I guess. Dude was unhealthy as gently caress and been a raging alcoholic since his teens.

COB was my gateway drug into death metal.

Rip guy. :(

The last time I saw him, which was at least 10 years ago, he looked really terrible. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd died then, but by now he'd slipped off of my radar so it's more of a terrible surprise that it would have been.

Kvlt! posted:

That cover is dire. You should probably listen to anything else. Like probably plenty of other people, I've only heard "Kissing the Shadows".

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Spin Hatebreeder it is their best end-to-end album

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

tote up a bags posted:

Spin Hatebreeder it is their best end-to-end album

that's a weird way to spell Hate Crew Deathroll

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

kumba posted:

Honestly a completely fair stance and I kind of go between the two and Follow The Reaper.
No matter which one I'm feeling though HCD is 100% the most FUN

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat, it made CNN's frontpage even

IMO it's a testament to how good they were that you'd really be hard-pressed to rank HCD, Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper above or below each other.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe I should listen to Something Wild and HCD this week. Don’t know how those sound as new albums to someone who’s been into metal for many years.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kumba posted:

Yeah I'm a big Hatecrew Deathroll fan. It's the one I got into first and I think it holds up better than their earlier stuff. Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper are great and I even really like Are You Dead Yet? but Hatecrew will always be my go-to.

They were great live, too. Saw them and Amon Amarth back in '06 and it was definitely one of my favorite shows.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe I should listen to Something Wild and HCD this week. Don’t know how those sound as new albums to someone who’s been into metal for many years.

The earlier stuff is a lot more melodic death-y, the later stuff leans more towards thrashier stuff

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've gone through Something Wild and halfway thru Hatebreeder - these albums are still loving solid after more than 2 decades. It's insane how time flies.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i dont care for CoB anymore but in my formative years they were definitely one of the gateway “extreme” metal bands i listened to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

YeahTubaMike posted:

That cover is dire. You should probably listen to anything else. Like probably plenty of other people, I've only heard "Kissing the Shadows".

There's something about it I love, the production is just so 'slapped together in a rehearsal room' sounding, then those kick drum triggers just absolutely tear through the mix.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

drat, it made CNN's frontpage even

IMO it's a testament to how good they were that you'd really be hard-pressed to rank HCD, Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper above or below each other.

Yeah that's how I found out, from of all places.

WASH YOUR HANDS IN THE LAKE OF YOUR BLOOD
JUST BEFORE YOU DIE

rest in peace, Alexi. You cracked my metal cherry, too.

It was that similar early 2000s setup - Hate Crew Deathroll, Dark Tranquillity, and then Opeth's Blackwater Park.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Bodom was my transition from Maiden and Megadeth into more extreme music, and solely responsible for power metal, melodeath and later meloblack being my absolute favorite styles of music. Extremely hard RIP, I'll be listening to them all day.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Laiho was a huge influence on my guitar playing as a teenager, reinforcing the melodic aspects I learned from Maiden and acting as a gateway to melodic death later

Big RIP to a real one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjZhwCM88pA

(I still can't believe that Yngwie outlived him)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ah, hell, this sucks. Like a lot of others, CoB helped me graduate to more extreme metal back in high school. I saw them supporting Megadeth a few years back and have a very vivid memory of the place erupting as soon as the opening riff to "Are You Dead Yet?" kicked in. Simply surreal to 18 year old me. R.I.P. Alexi, I'll rock the I Worship Chaos t-shirt today. :smith:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My favorite track from CoB is The Nail and I think Something Wild is probably my favorite album.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Saw CoB for my first ever show in high school, along with Iced Earth & Evergrey. Alexi was visibly drunk as gently caress then too and it blew my mind that he was still shredding like it didn't matter at all. That guy was talented as hell. Listening to Follow the Reaper right now at work, wanna belt out some "YOW YOWS" but that will have to wait for the drive home later.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

pittsburgh has TWO locations for Black Forge Coffee. They're lovely folks and i'm in there almost every day. and yes the playlist is just death/black/grind mostly. occasionally some stoner stuff

we got a place here called Heartwork that is infact named after the album and they display the LP prominently and also have good coffee

more metal coffee shops!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My girlfriend in high school was obsessed with Alexi and Children of Bodom was also one of my gateway bands into metal proper. I saw them in 2005 in Denver with Amon Amarth and Trivium (ick) opening for them. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they were all wasted for that show. I still have the copy of Guitar World with him, Steve Vai, and Zakk Wylde on the cover.

rip to a fuckin legend

Star Man fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I guess I stick to my own little metal bubbles too much because I don’t think I’ve ever heard any CoB and honestly had no idea they were so influential. I’ll have to check some out now, :rip: