Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sounds like a movie that could be funny in concept but in practice would star Adam Sandler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ethnicohioan/status/1345842917961834496
What equipment disqualifies something from being a "real" climb? And isn't that some gatekeeping bullshit? I get that oxygen tanks would make things somewhat easier (discounting the additional problems of carrying them all the way), but it's not like it's some magic pill that means a slob like me could just stroll to the top.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Plus the whole thing with K2 isn't how tall it is. K2 is a death march and the mountain is actively trying to kill you.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How different would the 'let rich people climb the tallest mountain' industry be if Everest had ended up 250m shorter? The sane answer would be "barely existent" but experience says "Exactly like now but with an even more terrible death toll".

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Plus the whole thing with K2 isn't how tall it is. K2 is a death march and the mountain is actively trying to kill you.

It also is much more prominent and further away from everything so to climb it at all is a huge trek followed by then having to climb up 4000 metres of frozen bullshit. The fact the main and only route up takes you across a 60 degree slope overhung by seracs should tell you just how dangerous K2 is.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sunswipe posted:

https://twitter.com/ethnicohioan/status/1345842917961834496
What equipment disqualifies something from being a "real" climb? And isn't that some gatekeeping bullshit? I get that oxygen tanks would make things somewhat easier (discounting the additional problems of carrying them all the way), but it's not like it's some magic pill that means a slob like me could just stroll to the top.

It’s just a dumb sports argument with but with more frozen corpses

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You know, much funnier

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yep. In the spirit of most competitive sporting things, there is usually a somewhat arbitrary line drawn as to what constitutes outside assistance. 'Outside' generally meaning 'not born with it'. So Olympic swimmers don't get to wear flippers or certain advantageous swimsuits, but if you happen to born with size 20 feet and glossy smooth skin that's A-OK.

For climbing extremely high mountains, the whole 'as nature intended' schtick is usually bypassed because climbing without oxygen is often just unnecessarily dangerous, and the genetic crapshoot as to whether your brain explodes at extreme altitude doesn't really have much relation to your physical fitness. That doesn't stop many top-tier climbers who are fine climbing without oxygen from looking down their noses at those that aren't because it takes away some of the challenge. The challenge here being 'struggling to breathe, maybe dying'.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Drone_Fragger posted:

It also is much more prominent and further away from everything so to climb it at all is a huge trek followed by then having to climb up 4000 metres of frozen bullshit. The fact the main and only route up takes you across a 60 degree slope overhung by seracs should tell you just how dangerous K2 is.

It’s been awhile since I read a bunch of climbing books but yeah iirc isn’t a big part of the climb super technical while giant ice and snow chunks randomly fall down over it even on a good day?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It’s been awhile since I read a bunch of climbing books but yeah iirc isn’t a big part of the climb super technical while giant ice and snow chunks randomly fall down over it even on a good day?

From my memory of reading a bunch of climbing books back during a previous iteration of this thread, K2 is much more technically challenging at various spots and those spots are at a much higher altitude than on Everest, which is a real double whammy.

The famous part of K2 where they're walking under huge seracs isn't itself challenging, it's just stupidly dangerous because they could fall at any moment, so it's basically Russian Roulette to get to the technically challenging parts, which are dangerous for other reasons. I'm sure there's other parts where seracs can fall too, but I think we're both thinking of a certain section where it's a line of fixed ropes under a huge overhang.

Again from my memory, the most challenging parts of Everest are in the Khumbu Icefall, which is fortunately (for the guide industry) just after Base Camp and not high on the mountain. A lot of the guide industry is about getting folks past this hard part by throwing a stupid amount of Sherpa labor at the problem, which they can do because it is so close to Base Camp.

If there were another section much higher up with the same difficulty, it would be exponentially harder to do what they do with the Khumbu Icefall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t think Annapurna is as technically challenging as K2, but its avalanche risk puts it at something like three deaths for every ten summits.

Nanga Parbat is up there in death rate. He’s what one climber has to say about the comparison:

quote:

In 2016, Txikon was part of a team that completed the first winter ascent of Nanga Parbat (8,126 meters), a mountain that had been attempted in winter more than 30 times before Txikon, Simone Moro of Italy, and Ali Sadpara of Pakistan succeeded.

“You cannot compare K2 with Nanga Parbat,” Txikon says. It would be as if, upon reaching Nanga Parbat's summit, another 1,600 vertical feet of terrain still remained. And that final section, according to the understated Txikon, “is quite complicated.”

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 4, 2021

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Sat next to a guy who summited K2 in the 90:s at a dinner during a climbing meet. Asked him how many of his group that summited. He said he didn't know cause he was the only one who didn't turn back and made it back down alive. A sudden storm claimed the rest.

K2 has killed so many excellent, highly skilled and motivated people. It has many objective dangers such as fixed lines that frequently break, sudden storms, collapsing seracs and extreme exposure. Being struck by HAPE/HACE or snow blindness on K2 is often a death sentence. There is no rescue up there unlike the ABC:s on Everest.

I can see how its to many people find it comedic that people willingly risk their lives in the Himalayas. I don't.

Sigmund Fraud fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 4, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It's far more of a technical climb to set up, but it is certainly possible to buy your way onto an expedition and make it up without much in the way of experience because your guides will do the hard work and setup fixed ropes. So you don't need to be an expert mountaineer or anything, but it is certainly more difficult than Everest is. And as stated, if you get struck with Snow Blindness or HAPE/HACE, there is no easy way down.

It's not like random poo poo is falling on you every day though, it's more that the route is not free of avalanches/falling ice; even one of the camps (C2 or C3, can't remember) is exposed to avalanches, and reasonably often people ascend/descend to find their camp just destroyed. There's just no real way to remove yourself from being hit by one of those, the Russian Roulette analogy is a good one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jeza posted:

Yep. In the spirit of most competitive sporting things, there is usually a somewhat arbitrary line drawn as to what constitutes outside assistance. 'Outside' generally meaning 'not born with it'. So Olympic swimmers don't get to wear flippers or certain advantageous swimsuits, but if you happen to born with size 20 feet and glossy smooth skin that's A-OK.
Unless you're a woman with high testerone, in which case you can't compete because ~science~.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jeza posted:

It's such a stupid distinction. Are we going to ask mountaineers to climb without coats and crampons next? Also I think free diving has used fins forever (including moving to huge monofins) and nobody gives a poo poo as far as I'm aware.

fe: yeah and then there's the gender thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unless you're a woman with high testerone, in which case you can't compete because ~science~.

Yeah it’s total bullshit that the line is drawn there.

It’s fine if Phelps has uncommon body proportions or Eero Mäntyranta has uncommonly dense red blood cells, but if a woman has too much of the so‐called ‘man juice’, well that’s just unseemly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Are the testosterone counts of male hyperperforming athletes just through the roof as well? I would assume they are.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PittTheElder posted:

. Are we going to ask mountaineers to climb without coats and crampons next?

:sickos:

E: just the rich ones.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Life goal: First nude climb of Everest.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pablo Bluth posted:

training by carefully climbing up very tall, attractive people

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

It's far more of a technical climb to set up, but it is certainly possible to buy your way onto an expedition and make it up without much in the way of experience because your guides will do the hard work and setup fixed ropes. So you don't need to be an expert mountaineer or anything, but it is certainly more difficult than Everest is. And as stated, if you get struck with Snow Blindness or HAPE/HACE, there is no easy way down.

I would disagree with the point re experience because experience can be some preparation but no amount of experience can be total preparation for K2. It's not just that its technical, its technical AND extremely exhausting because the technical part goes on for far longer than just about any other mountain and you have to get through it as fast as you possibly can to make the summit in a workable time-frame and no amount of preset ropes is going to do that for you, that effort has to be made by you. Now add the random dangers on top of that, and now you begin to see why the mountain is a killer. It asks way too much of even the best, most genetically-favored climbers, there are no genetics for this. And of course, you still have to make your way down and too many people are only thinking of the summit and not surviving the return.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Russian roulette is quite a bit safer than climbing K2, for every 6 people who attempt the mountain 4¼ make it home.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

Wim Hof spotted

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Azathoth posted:

Wim Hof spotted

I have a friend who is way in deep with the wim hof method. Is it really all that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've set my mind to it. I'm gonna be the first person to gently caress Mt. Everest.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ilmucche posted:

I have a friend who is way in deep with the wim hof method. Is it really all that?

I use the breathing techniques to help when my back pain gets bad, no idea on all the cold weather stuff though.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

how about some awesome alpinism videos to break the everest negativity?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMMGFZh6wwI

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

Sigmund Fraud posted:

how about some awesome alpinism videos to break the everest negativity?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMMGFZh6wwI

loving badass!

This one is an oldie but a goodie. Ueli broke the record again in 2015 but I like this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc

RIP The Swiss Machine

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10156275046798216 It's only appropriate to follow Ueli and David with another germanic alpinist: Hansjörg Auer in possibly the sketchiest rappel ever caught on tape.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEO_P-NBOf8/

Close enough

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

shame on an IGA posted:

Russian roulette is quite a bit safer than climbing K2, for every 6 people who attempt the mountain 4¼ make it home.

...dang

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was going to say “use a five-shooter”, but K2 is still worse.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10156275046798216 It's only appropriate to follow Ueli and David with another germanic alpinist: Hansjörg Auer in possibly the sketchiest rappel ever caught on tape.

And of course Hansjörg and David died together in an avalanche along with Jess Rosskelley while descending Howse Peak in the Canadian Rockies last year.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Here is a video of someone climbing K2.
In the best conditions.
Gives an idea what it is like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-dMVvvIt8M
(2 persons die when he is on the mountain)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

And of course Hansjörg and David died together in an avalanche along with Jess Rosskelley while descending Howse Peak in the Canadian Rockies last year.

Well, at least they died for a good reason ...

*checks notes*

climbing a mountain for no reason.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rondette posted:

The thought occurred to me, why aren't the Westerners or First World people paying them more, or just giving them some actual decent shoes?? They are walking around in knackered flip-flops with minimum 25kg strapped to their backs over rocky terrain, sleeping under plastic sheets and eating gruel. But then... if they treated them humanely then :byodood: they might want better wages or access to some basic human rights :byodood: and then it would cost more to climb. They want to keep them as human cattle. It's gross.

There is some lip service paid where an Italian climber trained some of them up to summit K2, but how about getting the kids some educational tools and helping them get a better life....? Oh. No, that would cost us more to climb.

the three cups of tea rear end in a top hat said he was doing this, but turned out to be a liar who was blowing the money in fraudulent or at least useless ways

fucker had to give some money back but otherwise suffered zero consequences

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I just finished reading "The Sky Below" by Scott Parazynski, a five-time space shuttle astronaut and the only astronaut to summit Everest. He was John Glenn's doctor during that space shuttle mission. It was...fine. Guys like that have to be driven, but whoooo boy does he have that Everest Fever. As his career progresses, he starts suggesting his marriage is deteriorating. His second child is autistic, and apparently he leaves it up to the missus to do the parenting of a child that needs a lot of care. Meanwhile, Columbia burns up and he decides, sorry, fam, I'm going up on another mission even though it's hinted that I'm denying slots for younger astronauts, and maybe my family thinks I shouldn't strap myself to a death rocket for a fifth time.

He survives. Space career done. Takes out a home equity loan of $40,000 ("Gail isn't overly excited about the money part, or the time I'll spend away from the kids") and goes to Everest for two months. He makes it to Camp 4, slips a disc, and makes the smart decision to turn back before the summit.

So what does he do? Go goes back to Everest the next year. Takes some Apollo 11 rocks with him. Summits. Gets back home. Surprise! Divorces. Then spends the last two chapters gushing about the new love of his life who happens to be the geologist who arranged the loan of the moon rocks. His first wife gets "my sincere gratitude" in the acknowledgements "for my two kids."

At least he names all his Sherpa helpers.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That is pretty bad. However I wonder if people like that legitimately can't help themselves, and how much is genetic or cultural.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I have one non-autistic kid and my wife would divorce me if I took off for a long weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Well, at least they died for a good reason ...

*checks notes*

climbing a mountain for no reason.

The gross thing about climbing is the $$$, bragging rights culture, and the unspoken reliance on Sherpas do do all the actual work.

Risking your life to do stuff because it's cool is human and good. No one needs to justify their death with a good reason IMO.

E: Unless they have kids