Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What's the most reliable way to detonate one of these? Asking for a friend

I'm told it's "building light rail tunnels that poor people can use" which will render them instantly super-active and dangerous.

More seriously, there's actually oil under Beverly Hills but all the wells are disguised. There's oil rigs behind the Beverly Center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

That would be Valco in Cupertino. A stone's throw from Apple.

Wait, wasn't this the crazy lady who owns the completly loving empty high end mixed retail and condos across the street trying to get subsidized to build the exact same thing again?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Oooh, oooh, oooh, teacher, call on me, I know the answer

Build more loving mass transit to reduce traffic

My neighborhood Facebook group gets into a twist every time the new Bart stations come up. Apparently I am an evil gentrifier who wants to destroy the character of the neighborhood because I think San Jose's public transit is laughably bad and we need way more of it, especially in and near downtown.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/

Hmm, 0% ICU availability state wide seems like it might be bad.

*checks news*

Nothing on the news means it's normal. The invisible hand of the free market must be allocating resources with 100% efficiency. Praise capitalism.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

SlimGoodbody posted:

My sister is moving to Fresno with her bf and I have worries cause I keep seeing wild poo poo happen there

Fresno's only good quality is that it isn't Bakersfield.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My neighborhood Facebook group gets into a twist every time the new Bart stations come up. Apparently I am an evil gentrifier who wants to destroy the character of the neighborhood because I think San Jose's public transit is laughably bad and we need way more of it, especially in and near downtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjEI3Ko-kp8&t=5306s

side_burned fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 4, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Complications posted:

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/

Hmm, 0% ICU availability state wide seems like it might be bad.

*checks news*

Nothing on the news means it's normal. The invisible hand of the free market must be allocating resources with 100% efficiency. Praise capitalism.

:drat:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There was a now-abandoned effort to turn a large dead mall in either San Jose or Santa Clara (corrections welcome) that they wanted to turn into housing, and the neighbors complained because more traffic.

Brisbane, the little neighborhood-sized town directly south of SF, has a huge undeveloped area along the border with the city (looks like abandoned overgrown parking lots/industrial zones...basically some giant fields with crumbling roads and old telephone poles sticking out). Would be a great place for 10,000 homes. A few years ago some people came up with a plan to develop it with retail and offices and housing, but then the brisbane city council or whatever was like "noooooo think about our quaint neighborhood character! no more housing, office and retail only!" :qq:

So i guess now there's gonna be no housing there lol :911:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Complications posted:

*checks news*

Nothing on the news means it's normal.

How hard did you check?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Jaxyon posted:

More seriously, there's actually oil under Beverly Hills but all the wells are disguised. There's oil rigs behind the Beverly Center.

https://www.conservation.ca.gov/calgem/Pages/WellFinder.aspx

Shows you all the Oil, gas, and geothermal Wells in California to include currently operating Wells and long abandoned stuff

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"minorities will come in on the train to steal your tv while you're at work" was the reason why the caltrain atherton station was only open on weekends
It's also why BART doesn't go down the Peninsula IIRC.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arsenic Lupin posted:

$5B to extend BART to downtown San Jose but it's from the East Bay side for some loving reason so it's still gonna take like an hour and a half to commute to downtown SF lol.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Flying cars will be here soon so who needs to fill in all these potholes?

Checkmate libs we have musk on our side now.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Isn't that also why it doesn't go into Marin County?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Pretty much. Here's a map of what they were considering back in the 1950s:

Service from Santa Rosa to San Jose.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bizarro Watt posted:

not really. san mateo+ voluntarily dropped out first and then the BART commission asked Marin to drop out presuming, they wouldn't have the tax base and funds to support it going up there and marin voters may reject it, so they complied. Marin tried to get back into it later but was rejected. idk maybe it was a good move and maybe it would have went down in flames, maybe it wouldn't.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Xaris posted:

not really. san mateo+ voluntarily dropped out first and then the BART commission asked Marin to drop out presuming, they wouldn't have the tax base and funds to support it going up there and marin voters may reject it, so they complied. Marin tried to get back into it later but was rejected. idk maybe it was a good move and maybe it would have went down in flames, maybe it wouldn't.

Interesting, I'd always heard the story that Marin didn't want it. But looking around I found this article that says the idea was wildly popular, but there was pushback over the loss of bridge tolls.

quote:

The public loved the idea. A 1956 poll found that 87.7 percent of Marin residents wanted a BART line.

Two San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit Commission studies, one in 1955 and a second in 1961, reached the same conclusion: The bridge was structurally capable of carrying trains on a lower deck with minor modifications.

It seemed like the simple, fiscally responsible solution. BART's trains could glide on a retrofitted Golden Gate Bridge to serve a transit-deprived community that overwhelmingly wanted BART. The cost would be millions of dollars cheaper than burrowing under the bay.

But commuters riding BART trains on the bridge would likely mean fewer people driving across the bridge, which meant fewer people paying bridge tolls. And less toll revenue was not something the Golden Gate Bridge District directors were going to accept sitting down. Behind closed doors, they plotted to quash the plan.

The article says that San Mateo County dropped out in 1961 due to costs so between that and the pressure from the bridge district the plans got scaled back.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Pretty much. Here's a map of what they were considering back in the 1950s:

Service from Santa Rosa to San Jose.

... Were they going to replace the Golden Gate Bridge or just build another one next to it for the trains to run on? :confused:

Very next post had a link.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 4, 2021

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Interesting, I'd always heard the story that Marin didn't want it. But looking around I found this article that says the idea was wildly popular, but there was pushback over the loss of bridge tolls.

The article says that San Mateo County dropped out in 1961 due to costs so between that and the pressure from the bridge district the plans got scaled back.

That kind of stuff drives me insane. Balkanized transit agencies are insanely bad because it creates a situation where each individual agency ends up being a separate interest group. My secret hope is that all the transit agencies go bankrupt during covid and then get consolidated.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If the transit agencies go bankruot then that'll just be it for public transit for the foreseeable future. There is very little political will to invest in them right now, particularly anything that would cross county lines and thus not be subject to being run like a fiefdom.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1346209249312055297

Hooray for Prop 22!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ardeem posted:

... Were they going to replace the Golden Gate Bridge or just build another one next to it for the trains to run on? :confused:

Very next post had a link.

Despite what articles at the time say, count me as very skeptical that what was built as a single-deck suspension bridge can be modified to handle trains going on and off. They made the bridge a pedestrian bridge closed to cars on it's 50th anniversary in the 70s and so many people crowded onto it that the span actually began to sag. You're not going to put trains full of people on there. C'mon.

El Mero Mero posted:

That kind of stuff drives me insane. Balkanized transit agencies are insanely bad because it creates a situation where each individual agency ends up being a separate interest group. My secret hope is that all the transit agencies go bankrupt during covid and then get consolidated.

There's already a coordinating body among the bay area transit agencies.

The bridge agency has to keep enough money to maintain, well, a bridge, and part of that is maintaining a monopoly on alternative inter-county routes from Marin to elsewhere. They don't own the Richmond Bridge, obviously, but do run the bus route across it. The bus and ferry services are operated by the same management as the bridge since they are projects that are designed to keep a bridge from 1935 that isn't going to get any wider sufficient for the amount of demand. The bridge's bus and ferry service are expensive, but there's two reasons for that: no state money goes to those things so they have to be completely self-sufficient, and their drivers/operators are not contracted to a private company but are unionized state employees. They're represented by ATU instead of SEIU, but you can expect all the pensions and whatnot that come with working for State of California.

The agency claims the fare is only covering 20% of the actual cost of service, with 50% coming from bridge tolls and the remainder from miscellaneous sources. But the fare is a bit over $10 one-way between Sonoma and SF. Which implies the actual cost is about $50 per passenger. And while I support charging punitive congestion charges on drivers on the bridge, the system would actually fall apart if everyone stopped and took transit instead. The regressive taxes of bridge tolls (a Rolls-Royce and a Honda Civic pay the same fare) and transit passes isn't compatible with the labor structure of government employees whose negotiators expect a large tax base.

As for BART, I think the future of transit between The City and regions northward isn't trains on bridges, or even bridges, but boats that are far more environmentally friendly than past boats have been.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 5, 2021

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

El Mero Mero posted:

The fiefdom is strong in California. I still remember all those years ago (Probably... nearly 15? 20 years ago? It's been a long time) we set up this Clean Energy Conference for the Central Valley; My dad was working with a guy from HUD with this board of clean energy companies/interest groups; lotta pie in the sky stuff and my dad was the token farmer at these various meetings. Anyhow, so we had a panel with leadership from various overlapping air resources/air pollution agencies and the question of course was asked "Why can't we just have a one stop shop where we can apply for permits at one place?" and I forget which agency decided to answer that, but he said "I'm not sure you want a Mega Agency controlling everything".

Audience was not impressed with this bureaucrat protecting their fiefdom (I wish I yelled "YES!" from the crowd, but I was younger at the time). A number of people we talked to wanting to try their hand at doing whatever "clean energy" project in California had issues with having to deal with so many different overlapping agencies compared to, say, Nevada, or any neighboring state really.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Despite what articles at the time say, count me as very skeptical that what was built as a single-deck suspension bridge can be modified to handle trains going on and off. They made the bridge a pedestrian bridge closed to cars on it's 50th anniversary in the 70s and so many people crowded onto it that the span actually began to sag. You're not going to put trains full of people on there. C'mon.

There's already a coordinating body among the bay area transit agencies.

Yeah abag also fills some of that coordinating role. It's all toothless until the coordinating body gets armed with hammer and scalpel powers though.

I mean, just look at how long clipper has taken to get where it is - and it needed Geneva convention level negotiations to get there.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 5, 2021

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sydin posted:

$5B to extend BART to downtown San Jose but it's from the East Bay side for some loving reason so it's still gonna take like an hour and a half to commute to downtown SF lol.

I was really excited to be able to Bart all the way up and back to Raider games.....

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
We used to take Amtrak from Santa Clara to Oakland Coliseum for games. At least there are bathrooms and beers (sometimes smuggled) on board. Coming back the schedule sucked, though, because of course.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

I'm doing finger math but BART cars are 15-20k pounds, or about 4-5 regular cars (avg 4k each), and about 4-5 times as long as a passenger car, so ultimately if you just replaced the zipper lane with a bart line it would probably be on balance less of a load. Adding to underneath obviously adds weight, but presumably the line would be timed to only have one set of rails (ie no passing). When compared to people crowding on a bridge, people can pack themselves in a lot more densely than cars, so they probably weighed more than a BART line would and are sustained load vs short-term loads.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Zachack posted:

I'm doing finger math but BART cars are 15-20k pounds, or about 4-5 regular cars (avg 4k each), and about 4-5 times as long as a passenger car, so ultimately if you just replaced the zipper lane with a bart line it would probably be on balance less of a load. Adding to underneath obviously adds weight, but presumably the line would be timed to only have one set of rails (ie no passing). When compared to people crowding on a bridge, people can pack themselves in a lot more densely than cars, so they probably weighed more than a BART line would and are sustained load vs short-term loads.

that anniversary celebration had an estimated 300k people on the bridge, which deflected its middle ~7 feet

trains would be absolutely fine

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It was designed to handle heavy rail on the lower deck

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just like your mom lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CPColin posted:

Just like your mom lol

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This is so loving disheartening. Things just keep getting worse when they absolutely do not have to.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
a full bart traincar, like shoulder to shoulder clowncar full, weighs less than a single fully-load 18-wheeler and is the same length

CPColin posted:

Just like your mom lol

drat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

SlimGoodbody posted:

This is so loving disheartening. Things just keep getting worse when they absolutely do not have to.

commie fornia, the corporate paradise which legalized slavery again

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

commie fornia, the corporate paradise which legalized slavery again

Again? The state would have burned down years ago if not for its 14th amendment fire department lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Centrist Committee posted:

Again? The state would have burned down years ago if not for its 14th amendment fire department lol

Yeah I guess I forget about that every time there aren't prison fire guys sleeping in my backyard and I realize I'm literally witnessing slavery in action .

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CPColin posted:

Just like your mom lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

rob a bank(s)

double the number of caltrains then paint BART logos on them

make them extra loud so fancy peninsula aristocrats can hear them coming from 69 miles away, thus increasing pedestrian safety

bing bong now you got BART down the peninsula

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Marin is probably the absolute worst bay suburb in terms of “I want all of the amenities of living in a major metro area, but also never want to see a building taller than three stories” types.

There’s stiff competition though. I was at a neighborhood comment meeting once where people objected to allowing a few mixed retail apartments in a downtown strip area dominated by auto shops because “it would compromise the rural feel”, motherfucker you live 25mins from BART.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CPColin posted:

Just like your mom lol

Aw man, I wanted to make a sustained load vs short-term load mom joke. This will have to do.