Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The ents were super gay to the point where the entwives all left moved back in with their entmothers.

Tree's Beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Len posted:

I never watched Steven Universe because the fandom was insane. But I'm watching it now and it's actually surprisingly solid

This is the case with almost everything with an insane fanbase. Not everything, but most things, in my experience. People get rabid about things for reasons.

I, too, used to eschew things based on 'people think it's good', and thought that was a good reason. Now, it is much simpler to just have depression and think nothing is good

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Stephen Universe is good poo poo and I was also an anti-Potter in middle school because "everyone likes it" so I get it.

Show has some drat 3 dimensional characters and I think I'm gonna rewatch it again dang it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Casnorf posted:

You'd think the One Ring woulda offered Frodo something he actually wanted.

Frodo put the One Ring on the wrong appendage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evilreaver posted:

This is the case with almost everything with an insane fanbase. Not everything, but most things, in my experience. People get rabid about things for reasons.

I, too, used to eschew things based on 'people think it's good', and thought that was a good reason. Now, it is much simpler to just have depression and think nothing is good

I saw a few episodes here or there and thought it looked real dumb, but it turns out season 1 has 54 episodes and they actually get a metaplot

I did have someone in a discord defend the tumblr post where someone pronoun corrected a cat the other day which was lol

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Android Apocalypse posted:

You know, the One Ring offering you the thing that'd tempt you most unless of course the ring itself finds that temptation sort of morally objectionable kinda tracks, and really shows what morals is when world domination and murder are less objectionable than some complicated scheme involving penises.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

rydiafan posted:

So you think the ring would float in normal lava? Because if it sinks, but isn't unmade, it's still gonna be pretty unretrievable.

This is beside the point but actually it would, lava is incredibly dense and most stuff floats on it while burning

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Android Apocalypse posted:

One cock ring to cut off circulation
One cock ring to rule every nation

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It gave his boner unnatural long life

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In “The Care Bears Movie” (1985) the Care Bear Cousins tell Friend Bear and Secret Bear as well as Kim and Jason that they are not aware of Care A Lot or Earth even existing yet only minutes later during a song they are dancing around a maypole that clearly has directional arrows pointing to Earth and Care A Lot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

In “The Care Bears Movie” (1985) the Care Bear Cousins tell Friend Bear and Secret Bear as well as Kim and Jason that they are not aware of Care A Lot or Earth even existing yet only minutes later during a song they are dancing around a maypole that clearly has directional arrows pointing to Earth and Care A Lot.

it is an easter egg reference about how their VA was illiterate

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Brad Pitt is that movie?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've started watching Elementary and they do not like the IAB from the three season I've seen. Like they hate IAB more than Law and Order.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

oldpainless posted:

In the second movie that whole thing gets retconned so they were all aware of each other to start with and it's some goddamn bullshit.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Gaunab posted:

I've started watching Elementary and they do not like the IAB from the three season I've seen. Like they hate IAB more than Law and Order.
Yeah, it's a great show but there's some really jarring episodes where they lean into the thin blue line stuff pretty hard.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

In the second movie that whole thing gets retconned so they were all aware of each other to start with and it's some goddamn bullshit.

The best part about the second movie is how the human kids take care of the baby bears, and then the next time they see them (presumably the same summer) the bears are adults. Well that and Darkheart, he was loving awesome but an idiot because he got so happy to be a human boy. The gently caress you want to be a human boy for?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a question about something that was irritating me:

Is Richard Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances a good husband? I know Hyacinth is supposed to be portrayed as the monster, and indeed is a horrible person. But Richard is also flawed.

He ignores his wife, except for the times when he is tolerating her behavior. He clearly doesn't like her, nor enjoy her company. (Nor her him if truth be told.) He neglects her emotional needs, (if he really cared he would have helped her in her quest to climb the social ladder, instead of doing nothing) He is also an enabler of the worst kind, never even attempting to stop, or even talk Hyacinth out of any of her wacky escapades. His son seems to hate him, as noted by the fact that he hangs up every time the phone is passed to Richard. He gets on well enough with the neighbours and his in-laws, (as opposed to his wife), but that seems to be more them pitying him and his miserable existence as Hyacinth's husband.

He is a sad sack with less than no agency limping along in a miserable existence. But he also makes no effort to improve or change his situation.

Am I victim-blaming here, or is Richard a pathetic excuse for a man?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

He's dealing with his problems in a British way.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Watched Monsters Inc the other day because well gently caress it, why not.

Two things.

1. On the leaderboard for the top monster scare record, why does it have Randall's first name listed, but everyone else's last name?

2. The Scream Machine was the plan to kidnap the kids, fill up all the canisters they could, and then...kill the kids? Send them back home mentally hosed up, which might increase productivity the next time?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is Richard Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances a good husband? I know Hyacinth is supposed to be portrayed as the monster, and indeed is a horrible person. But Richard is also flawed.

He is a sad sack with less than no agency limping along in a miserable existence. But he also makes no effort to improve or change his situation.

It was a very Boomer thing to marry someone you don't even know or dislike simply because it was the done thing to be married by a certain age, buy a house soon after and then live in a pit of misery forever when you find out you aren't remotely compatible with each other but never divorce because "people would talk".

It explains a lot about them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In an incredibly annoying turn of events, in Midnight Sky they never mention what the gently caress the global apocalypse was. I hate when movies do that. Same poo poo in a different movie from a couple years ago where THE WORLD IS ENDING but there's no actual explanation or theories or anything given, just "Huh, poo poo's hosed".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I liked how, in the Mad Max game, it turns out it was just every apocalypse kinda happening one after the other.

Oil runs out, disease spreads, global warming, the oceans vanishing, atomic war, Australians spreading out and conquering the world.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In an incredibly annoying turn of events, in Midnight Sky they never mention what the gently caress the global apocalypse was. I hate when movies do that. Same poo poo in a different movie from a couple years ago where THE WORLD IS ENDING but there's no actual explanation or theories or anything given, just "Huh, poo poo's hosed".

Didn't they say it was a gamma ray burst, or did I just fill in the gaps half-drunk?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowslips Warren posted:

The best part about the second movie is how the human kids take care of the baby bears, and then the next time they see them (presumably the same summer) the bears are adults. Well that and Darkheart, he was loving awesome but an idiot because he got so happy to be a human boy. The gently caress you want to be a human boy for?

I know! Nicholas is a way better antagonist in the end because his turn back to good is more believable. I never bought Darkheart's change of heart for a second.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Memento posted:

Didn't they say it was a gamma ray burst, or did I just fill in the gaps half-drunk?

It's some kind of radiation for sure. I think Clooney says something like "it was a mistake" on the radio, so I assumed it was some hare-brained scheme to reverse climate change that hosed up

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

He's dealing with his problems in a British way.

To quote Bill Bailey: "I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I liked how, in the Mad Max game, it turns out it was just every apocalypse kinda happening one after the other.

Oil runs out, disease spreads, global warming, the oceans vanishing, atomic war, Australians spreading out and conquering the world.

My Mad Max theory is that every Australian has a deep-seated desire to dress in outlandish costumes, however this is normally crushed beneath Australian blokey-bloke culture.

As evidence, some music acts that are super popular in Australia, relative to the rest of the world: Kiss, ABBA, the Village People.

Three days after civilization collapses, Australia is going to look like an amateur audition for a gritty Priscilla reboot.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

My Mad Max theory is that every Australian has a deep-seated desire to dress in outlandish costumes, however this is normally crushed beneath Australian blokey-bloke culture.

As evidence, some music acts that are super popular in Australia, relative to the rest of the world: Kiss, ABBA, the Village People.

Three days after civilization collapses, Australia is going to look like an amateur audition for a gritty Priscilla reboot.

Have you seen "The Cars That Ate Paris"? Also Directed by George Miller if I remember rightly. Cars in silly costumes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Nope. They beat around the bush but never explain it. The GRB was in that Nicholas cage movie.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Have you seen "The Cars That Ate Paris"? Also Directed by George Miller if I remember rightly. Cars in silly costumes.

Tut tut, Peter Weir's first feature. I know of it, but I've never seen it. Interestingly, half the cast will have been in the various Mad Max films. Or Farscape. Or both.

Edit: also VB voice over guy.

Elissimpark has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Jan 5, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Elissimpark posted:

Farscape, the greatest work of Australian fiction, is ample evidence of this theory.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elissimpark posted:

Have you ever seen TISM?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

As previously noted not George Miller, but he did use the spiky VW Beetle in Fury Road, presumably as an homage.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have you ever seen TISM?

Seen them? Mate, the bass player was my year 9 English Teacher.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have you ever seen TISM?

My dude, have I seen TISM? I post on SomethingAwful.com regularly and have for years. If there is anything I have seen plenty of, it's 'TISM.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torquemada posted:

One cock ring to cut off circulation
One cock ring to rule every nation

I recall a very old fanfic/slashfic from the Usenet era where Frodo uses the One Ring as a cockring because Hobbits have smaller hands and it won't fit on his finger, but I thankfully forget any more details than that.

Serious comment on Sam and Frodo's relationship: Frodo's story was very much inspired by Tolkien's experience in the Great War. Officers were permitted a servant and so when young gentlemen went off to fight a family retainer would often enlist at the same time to do the job. And that's Sam's role in Lord of the Rings.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
As if being a butler isn’t bad enough now you’re a butler and also WW1 is happening? Hard pass

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

christmas boots posted:

As if being a butler isn’t bad enough now you’re a butler and also WW1 is happening? Hard pass

Yeah but your title in that role is batman

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

But some toff might write about how you were the best butler ever, carrying all his poo poo across a continent, petting him when he's feeling down, deciding to die at his feet as it's where you belong, never ever considering owning land of your own... Doesn't that just sound grand? Doing everything just out of love for your master? What a wonderful example Sam is to the common man.

sassassin has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Jan 5, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

christmas boots posted:

One thing that you need to bear in mind is that the class system worked differently 100 years ago. The landed gentry didn't just employ people and move them on when they were done; they employed families. Jobs would be passed down from father to son and if you weren't a piece of poo poo you'd look after your retired staff. In families with only one child it wasn't even unknown for the children of the house and the staff to be encouraged to play together. So your butler would be going to look after someone he'd grown up with - maybe even a friend - whose father was paying his granddad's pension.

Now you can argue whether said butler should feel obliged to go, but it's not as simple as him being told to put on khaki and do his job while the Hun shot at him. And it's explicit in LOTR that the Gamgees have been gardeners at Bag End for generations, and that Sam and Frodo were friends as well as master and servant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

Sam and Frodo were friends as well as master and servant.

Nope.