Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Something must've gone wrong because I haven't had an app update on the App Store since Dec. 18th and I'm sure there must've been some since then. None show up on the update view and claim that their last updates have been 3 weeks to a month ago, despite being (mostly Google) apps that update like twice a week usually.

I've relogged and rebooted my phone but those didn't work. What's up here, or is this the first time ever all app developers took a month off?

What phone/iOS version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is there a way to turn off notifications for certain apps during a certain hours/days? Basically an automated "dnd" to stop my work notifications from going off or even showing up on the banner. I'm hoping there is a solution available besides manually messing with all of my work apps twice a day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Virtue posted:

Is there a way to turn off notifications for certain apps during a certain hours/days? Basically an automated "dnd" to stop my work notifications from going off or even showing up on the banner. I'm hoping there is a solution available besides manually messing with all of my work apps twice a day.

I was looking into this as well and couldn’t figure out how to automate it using Shortcuts but that would be pretty cool.

What would be great is to enable notifications for work apps like outlook/teams/webex and also show one of the home pages with the apps and widgets set up. Then when I leave my work geofenced area or time based, notifications off, hide the work screen page.

Sone apps like outlook and teams will have work hours you can set but i would rather have the os settings manage it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

astral posted:

What phone/iOS version?

The old SE, iOS 14.3.

E: Just had an update show up, so it really was a few weeks of no updates. Weird.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 4, 2021

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah I initially thought it might be some kind of a holiday break thing but couldn't remember that ever happening before. I haven't changed my region or anything either, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary on the phone since I last got app updates, they just suddenly stopped.

I figure one way to confirm that this is on my end would be for someone to check if they have corresponding "last updated" dates and versions on the same apps, like YouTube (4 weeks ago, v. 15.49.4), WhatsApp (2 weeks ago, v. 2.20.132) and Gmail (1 month ago, v. 60.201115). I don't know if updates are region specific though, I'm in the EU.

Here's your answer.

The Article posted:

As of December 8, Apple requires developers to publish privacy labels for their apps. The last time Google updated any of its iOS apps was the day before.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I just updated to 14.3 and the privacy labels are an eye opener for sure. The "Data linked to you" for WhatsApp is hilarious. I had it installed to correspond with colleagues in my field but uh gently caress that, we can email or something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay that's a pretty funny reason.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Don’t know if anyone cares but just saw the Panera app had a promo for free unlimited coffee for 3 months if you sign up with Apple Pay. It says it won’t charge me until April and I’ve got a reminder before then to make sure it’s canceled.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don’t know if anyone cares but just saw the Panera app had a promo for free unlimited coffee for 3 months if you sign up with Apple Pay. It says it won’t charge me until April and I’ve got a reminder before then to make sure it’s canceled.

I thought about doing this but like, I would genuinely have to go out of my way to get coffee there

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah I signed up cause I can’t say no to free but I’ve only been to a Panera like twice in my life. But I thought I’d share it in case one of you work next to one or there’s one on your commute or something.

Violator
May 15, 2003

PocketCasts for sale:
https://jamesrcridland.medium.com/pocket-casts-for-sale-where-did-it-go-wrong-ba7d551cd1d9

Well poo poo. I love PocketCasts but this doesn't sound good. I think it's a lot better than Overcast and the default app. I did find it weird that after they got bought out by a collection of public radio groups so they could afford to spend more time innovating that there were no major innovations or radical features released. I do respect that Marco releases big updates (speed boost, trim silence, clip sharing, etc) relatively frequently even if I hate the UI and UX.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Violator posted:

PocketCasts for sale:
https://jamesrcridland.medium.com/pocket-casts-for-sale-where-did-it-go-wrong-ba7d551cd1d9

Well poo poo. I love PocketCasts but this doesn't sound good. I think it's a lot better than Overcast and the default app. I did find it weird that after they got bought out by a collection of public radio groups so they could afford to spend more time innovating that there were no major innovations or radical features released. I do respect that Marco releases big updates (speed boost, trim silence, clip sharing, etc) relatively frequently even if I hate the UI and UX.
Oh no :ohdear: I love Pocket Casts just the way it is and I've got one of those lifetime memberships. I hope it doesn't go to poo poo.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Violator posted:

PocketCasts for sale:

Castro has the same features, including the ability to customize the settings on a per podcast basis. It also has a better UI imo.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
RadioPublic is still free and I’ve enjoyed it for years

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I still can’t find a podcast app that lets me make a good playlist for repeated listening while sleeping.

Overcast won’t play episodes again unless you individually mark them as unplayed, and Downcast only has one slow speed, x.50, which is way too extreme to be useful. Overcast’s speed settings are great but their played/unplayed thing sucks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m a podcast basic bitch so still use the built in one. I only have like 3 shows I listen to though and it keeps it synced up so I can resume on my homepod mini.

What’s the main feature people go 3rd party app for?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

priznat posted:

I’m a podcast basic bitch so still use the built in one. I only have like 3 shows I listen to though and it keeps it synced up so I can resume on my homepod mini.

I use Overcast for "smart speed" silence reduction, which has saved me 100s of hours without noticing, "voice boost" compression that makes poorly-mastered podcasts more listenable, and intro-skip. I hesitated to move to a premium player, but I've never paid and the app ads are barely noticeable.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i like downcast because it also has a good mac app

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why is Dropbox running in the background/screen off all night long? In the hours I’m sleeping it’s running for like 30-60 minutes with the screen off and I just checked on my iPad and it doesn’t do that. I have phone photo uploading turned off.

E: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Background-activity-iOS-from-the-mobile-app/td-p/406941 this seems to suggest that it’s cause I have Dropbox turned on as a “location” in the Files app. I do have it flipped on on my iPhone but not my iPad. Just turned it off so we’ll see.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 16, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

Snowy posted:

I still can’t find a podcast app that lets me make a good playlist for repeated listening while sleeping.

Overcast won’t play episodes again unless you individually mark them as unplayed, and Downcast only has one slow speed, x.50, which is way too extreme to be useful. Overcast’s speed settings are great but their played/unplayed thing sucks.

Yeah, I use Downcast as my sleep audio app. I listen to old episodes of shows I like, but since I use speed boost and trim silence during my regular listening, every show I listen to at night at normal speed makes the hosts sound tired and drunk. Took a while to get used to.

Violator
May 15, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Castro has the same features, including the ability to customize the settings on a per podcast basis. It also has a better UI imo.

drat, Castro went subscription for their advanced audio settings? $19 a year for voice boost and trim silence? If PocketCasts dies I might make the jump since I use podcast apps all day every day.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Pocketcast is the type of thing that would just stop working if it went away? Like, instead of just not updating, it will cease to function?

Violator
May 15, 2003

devilmonk posted:

Pocketcast is the type of thing that would just stop working if it went away? Like, instead of just not updating, it will cease to function?

Probably. Like Overcast, I think their update and syncing engines are server side to speed up new episode updates and notifications. So a lot of core functionality wouldn’t work if their servers go away.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there apps that can visualize the environmental noise data from the Apple Watch in different ways? Kind of like Heart Analyzer for HR data?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

One of my favorite features about Pocket Casts is listening to a podcast on my computer, and I can pick up where I left off on my phone if I have to go out.

I don't think there's any other podcatchers that have that sort of feature.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

One of my favorite features about Pocket Casts is listening to a podcast on my computer, and I can pick up where I left off on my phone if I have to go out.

I don't think there's any other podcatchers that have that sort of feature.

Overcast does. And I think Castro.

Not to mention podcast.app.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
And Spotify.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
downcast also does this for macs

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I think that’s pretty much a standard feature at this point

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do any iOS browsers support tab groups yet? I've seen conflicting things about Chrome doing so but I'm trying to move away from Google services/software and I didn't see it in the chrome://flags page like some people asserted anyway.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there apps that can visualize the environmental noise data from the Apple Watch in different ways? Kind of like Heart Analyzer for HR data?

I don’t believe so, but you can export the data using the method described here and get crazy with Excel if you like:
http://www.markwk.com/data-analysis-for-apple-health.html

There’s not a lot the average person would need to know that the Health app doesn’t already track, though. Exposure over a given period is the most important thing. It’s not surprising my exposure levels have fallen in a pandemic given my day job, but a drop of over 22 dB year to year is a lot more than I expected.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Do any iOS browsers support tab groups yet? I've seen conflicting things about Chrome doing so but I'm trying to move away from Google services/software and I didn't see it in the chrome://flags page like some people asserted anyway.
Safari on iPad supports multiple instances (or “windows”) but not sure that’d work for what you’re looking for, and even if it does it wouldn’t work for iPhone use.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Safari on iPad supports multiple instances (or “windows”) but not sure that’d work for what you’re looking for, and even if it does it wouldn’t work for iPhone use.

I'm just looking for something that can group multiple sites into a single card or group because I'm one of those "too many tabs" people. Doesn't seem like this is possible on mobile though.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm just looking for something that can group multiple sites into a single card or group because I'm one of those "too many tabs" people. Doesn't seem like this is possible on mobile though.

It’s not exactly the same, but there’s functionality for bookmarking all open tabs built into Safari as of iOS 13 https://osxdaily.com/2020/01/17/bookmark-all-open-tabs-safari-iphone-ipad/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

It’s not exactly the same, but there’s functionality for bookmarking all open tabs built into Safari as of iOS 13 https://osxdaily.com/2020/01/17/bookmark-all-open-tabs-safari-iphone-ipad/
I just noticed that the other day but wondering does it just dump everything directly into whatever location you pick or into its own new folder?

Semi related, you can arrange tabs by name or site if you hold down on a tab (have to be in landscape view on iPhones to see the tabs).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Can anyone suggest a currently working YouTube alternative app? I just want PiP & a queue - basically the desktop web features.

priznat posted:

Basic UI competence.
Ease of making smart playlists.
Per-podcast settings, like sorting from oldest to newest, downloading vs streaming, playback speed.
Customisable everything, from how far to skip forward & back, to how much storage to use.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wooger posted:

Can anyone suggest a currently working YouTube alternative app? I just want PiP & a queue - basically the desktop web features.

There aren’t any as far as I know. PIP/background playback on iOS is a redline for YouTube and they’ve sent C&D notices to anyone who tried.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Awful app will do it amusingly enough. I just download everything to Plex and watch it at my leisure these days.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
It is kind of funny that PiP is a paid feature for the YouTube app when it works just fine in Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

It is kind of funny that PiP is a paid feature for the YouTube app when it works just fine in Safari.
Works on iPad but blocked on the phone, just pops back out of PiP immediately. There's shortcuts to get around that at least, but wouldn't work for the rest of the feature requests.