Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sakurazuka posted:

My personal game of the year isn't decided by a collective

Shower with your Dad Simulator didn't come out in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ShoogaSlim posted:

i think he goes to pretty extensive lengths to back up his claims with careful analysis and analogies to help illustrate his points

goons tend to hate criticism, so i'm not surprised his videos aren't well liked here

you like a lovely YouTuber dude, the things you like aren't objectively good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean Youtube is kind of like college, just because some loser nerd prepared 4 hours of annotated notes about something doesn't indicate that they are correct, smart, or even firmly grasp what they are discussing. Just because a person was able to write a 2 hour script about how God of War has bad combat or Pathologic is actually a work of surpassing genius doesn't change the fact that neither of those things are true.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
And just like in college, since nobody reads the work anyway its pretty easy to pass off volume as insight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

just because some loser nerd prepared 4 hours of annotated notes about something doesn't indicate that they are correct, smart, or even firmly grasp what they are discussing.

:negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So didnt get to drive that SF90 in the end today after all. Turns out they're all hilariously broken from the factory! Also we cant take the high voltage batteries out of logistic mode without their special permission so we have to wait for a man to finish his cigarette before clicking a button on his computer for us

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat it pains me to say these new tim rodgers videos stink, get an editor dude. and move your mic back

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished TLoU2, it was okay

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

fridge corn posted:

So didnt get to drive that SF90 in the end today after all. Turns out they're all hilariously broken from the factory! Also we cant take the high voltage batteries out of logistic mode without their special permission so we have to wait for a man to finish his cigarette before clicking a button on his computer for us

Whoops wrong thread

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also quote is not edit!!!!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not watching a six hour youtube video for any reason sorry

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

I'm not watching a six hour youtube video for any reason sorry

you don't wanna watch my blind 100% playthrough of Bloodborne :( ?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

nerve posted:

god drat RDR2 was a good game

I really need to replay the story, so drat good. I got back into Red Dead Online with some friends for the $5 pc version but it's missing so much

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've loved every one of Tim Rogers videos so far, the thought of a 6 hour long video on some obscure looking SNES game certainly doesn't fill me with as much joy as his 3 and a half hour review of Doom but his quirky style and encyclopaedic knowledge of videogames is something to be admired

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished TLoU2, it was okay

my own personal hell: finishing dozens of "ok" videogames

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 5, 2021

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you don't wanna watch my blind 100% playthrough of Bloodborne :( ?

Only if you truely use a blindfold and have someone shout directions at you.

I'm at demon of hatred in sekiro and lost twice to it. I only got to the second phase once so its gonna be a brick wall again.

Sekiro is my 2020 game of the year, I didnt play it in 2019. I don't know that I beat ANY games released in 2020. Death stranding is the only game that was close.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
i'm sad nobody called out the pun waah waah gotta shitpost more to get noticed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

my own personal hell: finishing dozens of "ok" videogames

'Okay' is like my second highest rating

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Casnorf posted:

I can tell you that I literally teared up when I first loaded up Metroid Prime in what like 2001. The menu music still gets me, to this day. That game is truly a masterpiece. Highly recommended.

Metroid Prime really changed what games could be to me. I remember that haunting original e3 teaser, seeing the previews, and actually playing this amazingly well crafted atmospheric game in 3D and it was so immersive. From the raindrops on your helmet, to getting the different visors.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sakurazuka posted:

'Okay' is like my second highest rating

lol'ed out loud at that, i'm just bitter my ps4 is dead and i couldn't play tlou2 even if i wanted too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i'm just bitter my ps4 is dead

noooooooo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ineffiable posted:

Metroid Prime really changed what games could be to me. I remember that haunting original e3 teaser, seeing the previews, and actually playing this amazingly well crafted atmospheric game in 3D and it was so immersive. From the raindrops on your helmet, to getting the different visors.
Metroid Prime still astounds me in how well it managed to translate the gameplay of the Metroid series from a flat 2D into a fully-modelled 3D world. Not every game that tries this also succeeds at it, but Metroid Prime managed to preserve the feel as well as the overall gameplay of the 2D titles amazingly well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was so good that they made three of them and decided not to bother for another 15 years

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It was so good that they made three of them and decided not to bother for another 15 years

It's also a series (talking about just Prime as its own subseries of metroid) that has never been as good as the first and has declined in quality. Seriously 2 and 3 has their own issues that cause it to not live up to as amazing as MP1 was to us.

I'll still get MP4 though because there's virtually no game series that does this fps adventure/exploring/metroidvania style.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Metroid Prime 2 had some fun mechanics and the thing I dislike the most about it is actually not the Dark World thing but rather how brown and samey many of the environments are. Metroid Prime 1 was refreshingly vibrant colorful and Metroid Prime 2 just moved away from that way too hard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly outside of the poorly thought out ammo stuff I like MP2 about as much as 1 and it having some actually challenging bosses was a nice change.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Its true man i have been forced into pc exclusivity

I am now away to finally start ori and the blind forest and I'm not even sure if that's appropriate in a ps4 thread :ohdear:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I never thought the ammo thing was really that bad. You can get plenty from environmental objects and using a charge shot automatically sucks up all ammo drops around you. I guess it's a matter of taste, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly outside of the poorly thought out ammo stuff I like MP2 about as much as 1 and it having some actually challenging bosses was a nice change.

Prime 2 has some really good level designs and bosses (and also some really bad ones) but it's absolutely true that it's not as colorful as 1 even before you spend half the game in dark purple hellworld

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

VideoGames posted:

While we were talking about sewer levels, I just want to say what is the deal with water levels being so difficult yet almost ALWAYS having the best music??
Some of the best bangers in video games come from water levels. Wild.

https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1285227969141788672?lang=en

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This and Stickerbush Symphony are what caused me to examine this phenomemon.

:hai:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Metroid Prime certainly declined in quality with each sequel, I wouldn’t call any of them bad but neither one quite matched the magic of the original game, which was just about perfect, and doubly so when you consider how absurd First Person Metroid sounded on paper at the time.

2 was just kind of tedious in its design, and then 3 leaned way too hard into cutscenes and narrative.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Right, mp2 and mp3 aren't bad games. They just don't compare to the first. Very often people go MP1>MP2>MP3. Even if they only like MP1 5% more than MP2.

Here's hoping MP4 can buck that trend.

And we need that MP trilogy remaster (for switch) that keeps getting rumored.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I personally enjoy Prime 2 more than 1 but I get why certain things about it turn people off.
The hypermode mechanics in 3 really annoy me and it drags down the game as a whole imo. I also didn't like the feeling of exploring several small planets instead of a single big one.
They're all good games tho

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Metroid prime 1 had raindrops that hit your visor and made small splashes. It was incredible to see at the time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It has some other great incidental effects like being able to see the bones in your hand when you had the X-ray visor on and reflecting Samus' face sometimes with the standard one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

And it ran at 60fps on the GameCube :captainpop:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Sakurazuka posted:

It has some other great incidental effects like being able to see the bones in your hand when you had the X-ray visor on and reflecting Samus' face sometimes with the standard one.

Yeah, it was beautiful. Seeing your face during explosions was so cool. Such a great attention to detail.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Crysis Remastered. Good or bad?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The face thing was cool but I never made the intuitive link that it was due to bright flashes of light in the helmet so I would just get freaked out by the giant face suddenly staring at me for a moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Crysis Remastered. Good or bad?

Bad on PS4, runs at 30fps. Unlocked but not hitting 60 on Pro. Runs at 60 on PS5. Missing the Ascension level from PC