Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shame! (Rings bell)

Shame! (Rings bell)

Shame! (Rings bell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

rolled with lachlan giles today and sadly, unbelievably, i did not tap him

Did you wear the "Reap Knees" spats?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I also got to roll with Lachlan, I'm never washing my heels again

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I did my (official) 5th class today. Pulled the trigger and signed up last month, Pedro Saeur lineage over here in Melbourne, Australia.

Scored myself a second gi on the cheap, gave myself some gnarly mat burn on the tops of my toes last week and loving loving it so far.

I'm incredibly useless, but that's to be expected. Pretty much stalemating opponents once I'm either in mount or guard, which I guess is a good thing.

No Lachlan Giles, but Burak Sarman was in watching the class today so that's something.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Apparently this term "American Jiu Jitsu" has my instructor (ooooold school Brazilian) all worked up. BJJ is Brazilian by nature and shouldn't be called anything else. However he also indicated many years ago that the Americans would make Jiu Jitsu their own. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are about this. Personally, having an identity to Jiu Jitsu based on where you were raised makes sense to me. They arent changing it. A lot of it is just Kosen Judo and taken from the Japanese. Saying American Jiu Jitsu is kind of like saying "Russian Basketball. The Russians didnt invent basketball, but they do have their own cultural identity around the sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72l30QKMPsM

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 5, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Apparently this term "American Jiu Jitsu" has my instructor (ooooold school Brazilian) all worked up. BJJ is Brazilian by nature and shouldn't be called anything else. However he also indicated many years ago that the Americans would make Jiu Jitsu their own. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are about this. Personally, having an identity to Jiu Jitsu based on where you were raised makes sense to me. They arent changing it. A lot of it is just Kosen Judo and taken from the Japanese. Saying American Jiu Jitsu is kind of like saying "Russian Basketball. The Russians didnt invent basketball, but they do have their own cultural identity around the sport.

The term "American Jiu Jitsu" as a style, or at least "American" in opposition to "Brazilian," started with xenophobic chuds like Jake Shields and Matt Hughes. I've never seen it used in any other context.

(didn't watch the video, though I might later).

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Theres also a japanese jiu jitsu class at the gym where I train, so having an american jiu jitsu with an emphasis on wrestling integration seems appropriate

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

flashman posted:

Theres also a japanese jiu jitsu class at the gym where I train, so having an american jiu jitsu with an emphasis on wrestling integration seems appropriate

This is basically the way I explained it to my instructor. Wrestling is just foreign to Brazilians as that country is much more firmly entrenched in Judo as a sport.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'd probably raise an eyebrow at anyone who feels the need to call it murican jiu jitsu because it seems aggressively and unnecessarily jingoistic but the whole sport is riddled with dickheads of all ethnicities so w/e

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I can sort of see where they're coming from, because there are quite a few American practitioners of BJJ who are really pushing innovation in the art (Keenan with his lapel stuff, Musumeci's butterfly ashi, etc.), but it ultimately sounds a little silly if you're not talking about a radically different ruleset. By that measure, American Jiu Jitsu would probably be no-gi with heelhooks legal; that is, EBI or ADCC rules.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I try to just call it jujitsu to be honest.

BJJ did get large cultural elements from Brazil that make it "feel" different from Judo which has maintained its Japanese culture. I don't know if it's changed enough in the US to be a seperate thing yet, but I think it's moving quickly in that direction.

I try to avoid calling it Brazilian jiu-jitsu for the same reason I'd avoid calling it American-- it doesn't belong to any one nation and it sounds dumb to say it outloud.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Not sure I like the American Jiu Jitsu thing. Just calling it Jiu Jitsu is fine in Brazil but adding Brazilian to the start seems benifitial in that it distinguishes it from generic strip mall "Jiu Jitsu".

Also as was mentioned all of the people using the term American Jiu Jitsu seem to be jerks.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

duckdealer posted:

Not sure I like the American Jiu Jitsu thing. Just calling it Jiu Jitsu is fine in Brazil but adding Brazilian to the start seems benifitial in that it distinguishes it from generic strip mall "Jiu Jitsu".

I just call it jujitsu to people and most* have a vague idea what I'm talking about; a surprising number have met someone that's done it. I figure strip mall jujitsu is way less popular.

*Except for people of retirement age, who don't have a clue no matter how many times I tell them

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I call it all wrestling, it all comes from wrestling, jiujitsu is just almost-no-holds-barred wrestling

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i believe the origins of jiu jitsu is the karma sutra

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i just call it blowjob-jitsu

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Call it what it is, submission grappling

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

The term "American Jiu Jitsu" as a style, or at least "American" in opposition to "Brazilian," started with xenophobic chuds like Jake Shields and Matt Hughes. I've never seen it used in any other context.

(didn't watch the video, though I might later).

Keenan uses it a bit too ut its less xenophobic than Hughes and Shields. He basically tried to explain it as, a lot of the innovations to it now are coming from the US and not Brazil. So of BJJ is an off shoot and adaptation of Judo, then AJJ would be an adaptation/evolution of BJJ. His argument sorta makes sense but really just calling it jiu jitsu is fine and only the real dumb people care which nationality (or family surname) is at the front.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 6, 2021

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I'd rather they call it MMA jiu-jitsu or just grappling. Idk.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Nestharken posted:

I can sort of see where they're coming from, because there are quite a few American practitioners of BJJ who are really pushing innovation in the art (Keenan with his lapel stuff, Musumeci's butterfly ashi, etc.), but it ultimately sounds a little silly if you're not talking about a radically different ruleset. By that measure, American Jiu Jitsu would probably be no-gi with heelhooks legal; that is, EBI or ADCC rules.

The Brazilians were never fond of heelhooks because they knew the damage to the reputation of jiu jitsu it would cause if they allowed it in the ruleset of the major governing bodies in Brazil (IBJJF, FPJJ, etc). There were just too many injuries initially. They fought it for how long before the IBJJF just changed the rules? (The same kind of goes for Judo, cant even do double handed grip breaks now or grab the legs). Thats the Brazilians contribution to JiuJitsu, turning it into a competition sport with actual organized bodies. And now you have the Americans coming up with their own rulesets (EBI, Slap-Jitsu, etc) and now its not ok to call it American Jiu Jitsu? Seems a bit hypocritical. And yeah I agree, if you really want to be agnostic about it, just call it jiu jitsu, no Brazilian, no American.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Roly poly floor karate

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Another free video coupon from Bernardo Faria:

FARIAFREE21

for BJJfanatics.com. Yay! Thanks targeted Facebook ads!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Another free video coupon from Bernardo Faria:

FARIAFREE21

for BJJfanatics.com. Yay! Thanks targeted Facebook ads!

Cool thanks. Any good recommendations?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
His Pressure Passing DVD is pretty good

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Cool thanks. Any good recommendations?

He talks about how he's a really good half guard guy, so I picked up battle tested half guard.

I previously got the no-gi passes from him the last time he did this.

I really don't have any further insight than that.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I think he won a world championship by forcing a deep half guard position every time

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I miss grappling :/

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Me too! I was doing it but now I’m not...

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I can't compare the serenity of finishing a nice leg triangle with much else in life. The tight hugs also feel good.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Hellblazer187 posted:

:yossame:

I was trying to get my bro to start training before the 'rona hit and he finally started a few months ago. It's dumb and I'm kinda mad at him (not least because he actually caught it 99% from training and then passed it on to his wife and likely kids - they are all fine but doesn't make it less dumb) but I'm also super jealous when he comes home from each class to talk about what they've been going over and asks me to help him troubleshoot stuff.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

well guys i trained, got covid and gave it to my GF. She ended up with a 5 day hospital stay with covid pneumonia. It's been almost a month and she still has a cough and feels weak. Not worth it. Also, we thought she was gonna die. Scary poo poo.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

well guys i trained, got covid and gave it to my GF. She ended up with a 5 day hospital stay with covid pneumonia. It's been almost a month and she still has a cough and feels weak. Not worth it. Also, we thought she was gonna die. Scary poo poo.

Yeah if you're in the gym I think its inevitable that you are going to catch it :( Sorry to hear about that my friend. I hope she feels better.

I went to a promotion ceremony for my daughter over the weekend and next day she had a fever :(

We need to get this vaccine out and people need to take getting vaccinated seriously.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

heeebrew posted:

Thanks for posting this, I'm sorry you guys got sick. Its been increasingly harder for me to not go back to training, hearing the consequences of going back too soon helps.

Do you mind providing a little more information? Are you in a big city (US I presume?) What was the covid hygiene routine at your gym? Temp checks? Class sizes? How many training partners? How many at the gym got sick?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Lol yeah here I am toying with going back and... yikes

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've decided that my threshhold for going byack to striking (and maybe extremely limited bubble grappling) is no local non-institutional transmission and my threshhold for grappling is that + vaccination.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Xguard86 posted:

Lol yeah here I am toying with going back and... yikes

Agreed. Waiting until both my wife and I are vaccinated.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm not gonna go back until I'm vaccinated. Classes are running but I'm just... not willing to take those risks or put others through that kind of risk. I'm trying to stay in shape/improve my fitness with kettlebells and stuff and hopefully in loving June 2022 or whenever it is I can go back, I'll at least be fit.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
That's awful heeebrew, but I really appreciate you sharing. Hope she feels better soon.

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you more or less, tempted to go back, but knowing I shouldn't until I'm vaccinated, and so mostly swinging kettle bells alone in my apartment like a loser. Feeling good physically though, and still working with instructionals when I can muster the attention.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I should start scheduling myself on our stationary bike just so I actually do it, because I haven't meaningfully exercised in like 2 months now since our current "red zone" measures kicked in and it was no longer safe to go to kickboxing. Maybe I'll start doing that in the hour after my teaching ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

heeebrew posted:

Thanks for sharing. You should post this on the bjj reddit if you’re on there because that’s the crowd that needs to hear it the most