Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Star Man posted:

My girlfriend in high school was obsessed with Alexi and Children of Bodom was also one of my gateway bands into metal proper. I saw them in 2005 in Denver with Amon Amarth and Trivium (ick) opening for them. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they were all wasted for that show. I still have the copy of Guitar World with him, Steve Vai, and Zakk Wylde on the cover.

rip to a fuckin legend

Hey I went to that tour in Philadelphia! My buddy got kicked out for heckling Matt from Trivium too hard

e: I just remembered that we actually went to a meet-&-greet beforehand, and as a result one of my guitars is signed by Alexi :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had to look up who CoB played with when I saw them in London in 2006 as I genuinely couldn't remember and

quote:

Children Of Bodom / Ektomorf / One Man Army & The Undead Quartet

yeeeeeah now I can see why I don't remember. At least I got to see the glory of Edguy supporting Dragonforce the same week.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
It's pretty crazy how common it is among metalheads for Children of Bodom being their gateway band into more extreme metal.

I've had the exact conversations many times with others. Specifically it often went from CoB to Kalmah.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

I guess I stick to my own little metal bubbles too much because I don’t think I’ve ever heard any CoB and honestly had no idea they were so influential. I’ll have to check some out now, :rip:

Were you a teen in the early or mid-2000s? I feel like that's the key.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i started high school in 2001 so that definitely fits

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

This. I graduated high school in 2004, so Bodom was basically the de facto gateway drug for many kids to get into more extreme sub-genres of metal.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

No, I guess I was too old for that craze :)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hey I went to that tour in Philadelphia! My buddy got kicked out for heckling Matt from Trivium too hard

he strikes me as the kind of person who'd be upset at getting heckled

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

I had to look up who CoB played with when I saw them in London in 2006 as I genuinely couldn't remember and

Not the one you were at, but they had a sloppy, but good version of Needled 24/7 from London in 2008 on a reissue of Hate Crew Deathroll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYbTzEfq1nM

Snowy posted:

No, I guess I was too old for that craze :)

I'm also in the same boat as many people where Follow the Reaper and Deliverance by Opeth were the first albums I ever purchased with harsh vocals. I also loved Hate Crew Deathroll but by the time Are You Dead Yet? had come out I was already into more extreme poo poo and had kinda moved past them. Whereas Opeth were someone I continued to listen to as time went on.

In that way, I feel like COB is for teenagers in the early 2000's what KISS was for teenagers in the early 80's.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

he strikes me as the kind of person who'd be upset at getting heckled

Listen if you're in Trivium and you're wearing a Trivium t-shirt onstage, you're asking for a bit of ribbing IMHO

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FanaticalMilk posted:

Not the one you were at, but they had a sloppy, but good version of Needled 24/7 from London in 2008 on a reissue of Hate Crew Deathroll:

Oh fun, thanks!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Trivium unfortunately played a mostly hardcore show on Long Island and the entire crowd was completely unengaged while they were on. buddy of mine mooned the band and the singer just flipped the bird but you could tell he was so annoyed. i can't believe they bothered to finish their set lol.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
he was also a teenager at the time

I met him on that same tour and he was blown away at the fact my buddy asked him to sign a copy of from ember to inferno

dunno, always seemed like a decent guy to me and there's WAY shittier music out there

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh yeah he seems like a great dude but it was a prime reason for a heckle and he just didn't take it very well (probably because he was like 17 lol)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

TeamJesus posted:

It's pretty crazy how common it is among metalheads for Children of Bodom being their gateway band into more extreme metal.

I've had the exact conversations many times with others. Specifically it often went from CoB to Kalmah.

lol This is literally me

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If you want a weird progression of favorite metal bands, my path went punk/ska-> Dream Theater -> Porcupine Tree -> Opeth -> CoB -> Symphony X -> Protest the Hero -> general -core

I actually don't even really like other bands from any of those genres either, it was a weirdly specific progression lol

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Listen if you're in Trivium and you're wearing a Trivium t-shirt onstage, you're asking for a bit of ribbing IMHO

I usually assume they ran out of clean clothes and dipped into the merch

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If Children of Bodom is metal for teenagers, then I have some bad news for everyone about the genre.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I usually think of metal as music for old immature guys

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Star Man posted:

If Children of Bodom is metal for teenagers, then I have some bad news for everyone about the genre.

Nobody here is throwing that around as an insult. They are an extremely common gateway band for many people at that age. Super accessible and catchy but with more of an edge than what a young metal fan may have been exposed to otherwise.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

sometimes i catch myself jamming to brutal slamming death metal in my car and remember i'm 36 and think about how silly it is that i'm an adult listening to gurgly incomprehensible vocals about dismembering people while on my way to pick up avocados from trader joe's

then i turn up the music louder and just headbang the existentialism away

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part about getting old is you stop giving a gently caress what others think and listen to whatever goofy poo poo suits your fancy. I'm gonna toot around town in my extremely responsible hybrid car with the windows down and crank modern thrash as loud as my tinnitus ringing ears can handle.

Anyone that gives me a look gets a thumbs up. Which rarely happens, no one actually gives a gently caress, but once a year or so it makes my day.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

eh certain bands really havent aged well for me and sometimes it makes me question how much i liked them to begin with. CoB i think is one of them.

i agree being old and not giving a gently caress is cool though bc it allowed me to embrace blind guardian again.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I guess it was booze poisoning? I seem to remember the guy was a big drinker. It must have been bad because his entire band pretty much quit last year.

I like CoB. Yow yow!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

henpod posted:

I guess it was booze poisoning? I seem to remember the guy was a big drinker. It must have been bad because his entire band pretty much quit last year.

I like CoB. Yow yow!
Official word is "long term health issues". Read into that what you will.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I picked up Hatecrew Deathroll from Fry's in the mall when I was like 14, so yeah that tracks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Between mall cd shops and guitar world having something about him every other issue, its kinda obvious

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

sometimes i catch myself jamming to brutal slamming death metal in my car and remember i'm 36 and think about how silly it is that i'm an adult listening to gurgly incomprehensible vocals about dismembering people while on my way to pick up avocados from trader joe's

Eh, it only matters if you roll your windows down on the way to TJ's and disrupt the neighborhood. If people keep that stuff to themselves, I don't think anyone should worry about what they listen to. Maybe that's a little "get off my lawn!" but gently caress it.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Snow Cone Capone posted:

punk/ska-> Dream Theater

:monocle:

although I did the same Porcupine Tree --> Opeth progression after Steven Wilson produced Blackwater Park, which was my first exposure to harsh lyrics/more extreme metal.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

grown man who goes into public in Korn gym shorts regularly here, I do not give a gently caress and don't think there's any shame in enjoying any music

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowy posted:

I guess I stick to my own little metal bubbles too much because I don’t think I’ve ever heard any CoB and honestly had no idea they were so influential. I’ll have to check some out now, :rip:

yeah same, i know i've heard a song or two but that's it. iirc you're older though and i had a teenage uncle who raised me on florida death bands and carcass and bolt thrower and poo poo so i didn't really have a transition to extreme stage as a teenager.

my bony fealty posted:

we got a place here called Heartwork that is infact named after the album and they display the LP prominently and also have good coffee

more metal coffee shops!

i googled it and it appears to be in san diego? if so black forge is going to be doing a traveling pop up thing there on the 16th as part of the oddities and curiosities expo. they rigged up a van and are going around with the save our stages tour and o&c all year.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hawklad posted:

:monocle:

although I did the same Porcupine Tree --> Opeth progression after Steven Wilson produced Blackwater Park, which was my first exposure to harsh lyrics/more extreme metal.

Punk was my first exposure to counterculture and I loved it, but the music got old pretty fast, and having zero prog/metal exposure at the time, Scenes From a Memory absolutely blew my mind

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

probably just an age thing. i graduated high school in 2000 and i never heard CoB at all.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

xzzy posted:

The best part about getting old is you stop giving a gently caress what others think and listen to whatever goofy poo poo suits your fancy. I'm gonna toot around town in my extremely responsible hybrid car with the windows down and crank modern thrash as loud as my tinnitus ringing ears can handle.

Anyone that gives me a look gets a thumbs up. Which rarely happens, no one actually gives a gently caress, but once a year or so it makes my day.

:hmmyes:

I'm on a Judas Priest kick at the moment because why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO_EdmtR5Ck

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sean10mm posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm on a Judas Priest kick at the moment because why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO_EdmtR5Ck

I'm cool with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yyO_HozK0c

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lBDsGMbRo

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Remember when Judas Priest wrote a 13 minute song about the loch ness monster? i do. and im not ashamed to admit i kinda liked it.

https://youtu.be/gzn5vs_Ki2Q

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Even Judas Priest's bullshit albums like Ram It Down are pretty sweet. What I'm saying is, listen to Priest every day like I do. Your life will be better for this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ultraviolence123 posted:

Even Judas Priest's bullshit albums like Ram It Down are pretty sweet. What I'm saying is, listen to Priest every day like I do. Your life will be better for this.

I generally do, it depends on how kind the shuffle button on the iphone is. My "metal" playlist covers 50 years of metal and every day is stuffed with the stuff I like best from each decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I've been cranking out Hatecrew, Follow the Reaper and Hatebreeder for the first time in at least a decade and they loving rip. Follow the Reaper has a special place for me cos it was the first one I got into and it blew my mind.