Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Starks posted:

Actually, Bosnia is only like 50% Muslim so it’s theoretically possible that the Serbs and Croats there are doing enough drinking for everyone.

Rofl no no no 100 times no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What’s more interesting to me is that apparently the muslim prohibition on booze affects Thrace but not Bosnia or Albania. I guess that’s turkish law + influence of communism on religious fervour?

Please allow me to explain Bosnia's attitude to alcohol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

This shocks me because I've been told all Austrian women smoke.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Groda posted:

Rofl no no no 100 times no

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah Islam forbids alcohol but there are also lots of people in every religion who don't exactly follow all the rules.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Kinda tired of the Balkans being called a peninsula when they’re wide af

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Hot take: Europe is a peninsula

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hotter take: Antarctica and Australia are the only continents that aren't.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The European Peninsula

I can dig it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

It's the result of modern maps descending from naval tradition. Landmasses can only be defined by the waterways that surround them.

Maybe someday they'll get upgraded to a subcontinent.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

This shocks me because I've been told all Austrian women smoke.

I was reading the Wikipedia article on cigarette usage and their map had Austria as the place with the highest % of women smokers for sure

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What’s more interesting to me is that apparently the muslim prohibition on booze affects Thrace but not Bosnia or Albania. I guess that’s turkish law + influence of communism on religious fervour?

easily explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3k2MOJOkKg

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still want people to call it the European Subcontinent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The European Subcontinent has less diversity in ethnicity, language, history, cuisine, topography, climate, religion, and material culture than the other major Subcontinent. It's just a fact. Or a series of facts.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah Islam forbids alcohol but there are also lots of people in every religion who don't exactly follow all the rules.

Muslims aren’t a hivemind, any more than Christians. Balkan Muslims are Hanafi Sunnis, and tend to hold that only alcohol made from grapes or dates are what is prohibited.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

PawParole posted:

Muslims aren’t a hivemind, any more than Christians. Balkan Muslims are Hanafi Sunnis, and tend to hold that only alcohol made from grapes or dates are what is prohibited.

Must be the reason that rye whisky keeps flying off the shelves!
Joking aside, I know many Bosnian and Albanian Muslims, some are close friends. They are just your average modern Europeans who mix and match their religious traditions to their liking, same as anyone else. Some of them will, for instance, drink alcohol but will never eat pork. Others are quite strict about alcohol but never go to the mosque, and so on. Attitudes are lax, same as with Christians in Europe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

blessed

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That guy is my hero

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Indeed, consider raki, a specifically Turkish liquor. Maybe the Ottoman Empire held on for as long as it did because of booze.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Indeed, consider raki, a specifically Turkish liquor. Maybe the Ottoman Empire held on for as long as it did because of booze.

Hence my original question of why turkish Thrace consumes so much less booze than anyone else. That’s not exactly an Erdogan/Islamist stronghold region

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PawParole posted:

And didn't Iran used to be a complete boomtown for wine consumption until the revolution?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

South America is a peninsula

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Arabia is a subcontinent.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

And didn't Iran used to be a complete boomtown for wine consumption until the revolution?

I don't know about consumption but Persian wine was well regarded outside the country so I imagine they produced a lot of it. It's still make in secret, in smaller quantities of course.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

Shiraz is a place in Iran

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Shiraz is a place in Iran

and pretty much the birthplace of wine

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

It's an alternate history map of Europe as depicted in Valkyria Chronicles, but there's some good headscratchers in the lore

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 6, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Bektashi Order used to be pretty big in the Balkans and still have some presence.

Here's some old jokes about them from Wikipedia:

quote:

A Bektashi was praying in the mosque. While those around him were praying "May God grant me faith," he muttered "May God grant me plenty of wine." The imam heard him and asked angrily why instead of asking for faith like everyone else, he was asking God for something sinful. The Bektashi replied, "Well, everyone asks for what they don't have."

An imam was preaching about the evils of alcohol and asked "If you put a pail of water and a pail of rakı in front of a donkey, which one will he drink from?" A Bektashi in the congregation immediately answered. "The water!" "Indeed," said the imam, "and why is that?" "Because he's an rear end

also from what I´ve read Bektashis with big iron spikes were in high demand as vampire slayers during the 17th century though they were not thought to be quite as effective as the sons of vampires, people born on a Saturday, or the Romani.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 6, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deltasquid posted:

It's an alternate history map of Europe as depicted in Valkyria Chronicles, but there's some good headscratchers in the lore

I like that the mountainous parts of Europe sank first

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

PittTheElder posted:

I like that the mountainous parts of Europe sank first

They're heavier, so of course! :eng101:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Arabia is a subcontinent.

A longer history than Europe

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Deltasquid posted:

Game was pretty fun but had some but had some weird jews/romani analogue things going on with it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fantasy world racial analogues often get really weird, and it gets weirder when you throw a cultural and language divide in.

I think the Darcsen thing is okay, all things considered, but the Valkyrur are a lot weirder. The ancient race of conquerors who came to alt-europe and had incredible magic powers, but eventually went basically extinct after their bloodline being diluted by interbreeding, but there are still some people who can occasionally manifest those powers again. Also at some point in their conquest they used apocalypticly powerful superweapons that left scars in the landscape and somehow rewrote history to blame it on one of the peoples they devastated, the Darcsen, calling it the "Darcsen Calamity". Anime is weird.

It's also a fun game, a neat turn-based system where you have to manually control each character as they run around and shoot targets, but it has issues with pacing between long anime cutscenes and just slow scene transitions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Count Roland posted:

That guy is my hero

Everyone forgot to bring their magazines but one guy remembered to bring the beer.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

GoutPatrol posted:

Game was pretty fun but had some but had some weird jews/romani analogue things going on with it.

Yeah I kind of had to hold up my hands and give up on it after you went straight from a level where you liberated a concentration camp to a beach holiday episode.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It explores race in the most hamfisted way possible, as is appropriate for a JRPG where tank commanders invoke the power of friendship to one-hit kill a nazi superweapon analogy.

The Darcsen struck me as a Jewish and Romani analogy, but also they were the original inhabitants of Europa and have names like Aoife so they're also meant to be blue-haired anime Celts in a way.

But the main thing that confuses me about the map is all the Belgian place names (Chimay? Terneuzen? Aalast? Ostende? Verviers? Liege, Arlon and Ypres? A SECOND Terneuzen halfway across Europe??) scattered around the map... Except in Gallia, which is explicitly introduced as fantasy Benelux. Gallia is somehow also the only nonaligned country in all of Europa.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The japanese don't have any more of a nuanced, accurate, or sensitive view of european cultures than we do of east asian ones. They took a bunch of tropes and ran with it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The japanese don't have any more of a nuanced, accurate, or sensitive view of european cultures than we do of east asian ones. They took a bunch of tropes and ran with it.

Would the japanese be very wrong if they imagined Hitler was Italian?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Deltasquid posted:

It explores race in the most hamfisted way possible, as is appropriate for a JRPG where tank commanders invoke the power of friendship to one-hit kill a nazi superweapon analogy.

The Darcsen struck me as a Jewish and Romani analogy, but also they were the original inhabitants of Europa and have names like Aoife so they're also meant to be blue-haired anime Celts in a way.

But the main thing that confuses me about the map is all the Belgian place names (Chimay? Terneuzen? Aalast? Ostende? Verviers? Liege, Arlon and Ypres? A SECOND Terneuzen halfway across Europe??) scattered around the map... Except in Gallia, which is explicitly introduced as fantasy Benelux. Gallia is somehow also the only nonaligned country in all of Europa.

It's more that Gallia's one of only two unaligned nations left. And then Gallia's turn comes to discover neutrality doesn't stop the Empire any better than it did IRL Germany.

The tank/gun selections for the various nations are as baffling a mishmash as the racial/geographic/cultural stuff so I definitely agree with Edgar Allen Ho about the devs just running with a mishmash of tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/VisualCap/status/1346698049524035588?s=19