Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Organic Lube User posted:

They do, but we're the control group.

Literally the case in Banks' Culture series, specifically the story "The State of the Art".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Infidelicious posted:

Well God forgot the replicators part.
There was a short story I read years ago where what are essentially replicators (they can create a duplicate of anything put on them, even another replicator) appear and inevitably spread, and it turns out they were created by alien communists to eliminate hunger, want and capitalism so humans will be mentally capable of joining their galactic federation.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Payndz posted:

There was a short story I read years ago where what are essentially replicators (they can create a duplicate of anything put on them, even another replicator) appear and inevitably spread, and it turns out they were created by alien communists to eliminate hunger, want and capitalism so humans will be mentally capable of joining their galactic federation.

This reminds me of Murray Leinster's "The Duplicators", where a device that can duplicate anything (nonliving) put into it causes an economic and social collapse. When duplicated stuff is free, people stop making new things - but things still wear out, so eventually you just wind up with duplicated old worn out junk and nobody remembers how to make anything new anymore.

It was a bad attempt at a criticism of communist utopias, but it was an interesting variation on that theme.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Infidelicious posted:

Well God forgot the replicators part.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manna_Machine

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Payndz posted:

yea the entire premise of the prime directive relies on one accepting star trek's idealized liberal ideology, it's dumb as hell beyond its use as a plot device

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This reminds me of Murray Leinster's "The Duplicators", where a device that can duplicate anything (nonliving) put into it causes an economic and social collapse. When duplicated stuff is free, people stop making new things - but things still wear out, so eventually you just wind up with duplicated old worn out junk and nobody remembers how to make anything new anymore.

It was a bad attempt at a criticism of communist utopias, but it was an interesting variation on that theme.

I remember another short story out there that looked at the question of duplicators/replicators, and the question of value. In the story, I think, somebody stole an original Stradivarius violin, replicated it, and destroyed the original, and the question was, did the person commit a crime or do anything wrong? Because on the one hand, it's physically the same violin. On the other, the first violin has this history and the second one doesn't. Or, you know, is an exact copy of the Mona Lisa the same thing as the Mona Lisa?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Now I'm trying to remember the name of an odd story from the 70s or 80s where automated production had created so much STUFF that citizens were obligated to constantly use up more and more crap, and the marker of status was to earn the right to be really minimalist and not have all this stuff in your house.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Epicurius posted:

I remember another short story out there that looked at the question of duplicators/replicators, and the question of value. In the story, I think, somebody stole an original Stradivarius violin, replicated it, and destroyed the original, and the question was, did the person commit a crime or do anything wrong? Because on the one hand, it's physically the same violin. On the other, the first violin has this history and the second one doesn't. Or, you know, is an exact copy of the Mona Lisa the same thing as the Mona Lisa?

Cue 3 page discussion of "does the transporter actually kill the person transporting and create a copy?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

showbiz_liz posted:

Now I'm trying to remember the name of an odd story from the 70s or 80s where automated production had created so much STUFF that citizens were obligated to constantly use up more and more crap, and the marker of status was to earn the right to be really minimalist and not have all this stuff in your house.

1954, actually. Frederik Pohl's "The Midas Plague". If you want to read it, it's here

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Epicurius posted:

1954, actually. Frederik Pohl's "The Midas Plague". If you want to read it, it's here
There's a sequel, too: 'The Man Who Ate The World' (which I didn't know was a sequel until recently).

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Flipped-over, stardrive-section-only-with-no-nacelles Enterprise E is now my new favorite Star Trek ship

https://twitter.com/TheSpaceshipper/status/1346579405099962368?s=20

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, if I were Sisko, I'd want to punch Eddington all the time too

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Epicurius posted:

In the story, I think, somebody stole an original Stradivarius violin, replicated it, and destroyed the original, and the question was, did the person commit a crime or do anything wrong?

Well, yes, because they stole something. You don't even need the other parts to have done a crime.

Also, the "stole-replicate-destroy" sequence outright means it isn't the same one: two existed at the same time, ergo they can't be the same object.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
If I kill Harry Kim but replace him with a space time anomaly duplicate, was a crime committed?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Boxturret posted:

If I kill Harry Kim but replace him with a space time anomaly duplicate, was a crime committed?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Boxturret posted:

yeah, a crime against the art of writing, a crime against the audience

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Boxturret posted:

Everyone always remembers the time Kim dies and was replaced by his quantum clone but never the time O'Brien died and was replaced by his time clone

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
that’s cause he’s the same guy

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Was there some kind of edict from the studio (or perhaps P. Stew himself) to keep Picard single in the TNG movies? It seems odd that they never did anything with him and Beverly, considering it was teased throughout the series, right down to the final episode.

It's especially weird in light of how the movies tended to abruptly resolve some of the TV character plotlines, like the emotion chip or Riker/Troi. I guess an "official" Picard/Crusher deal would've had a more direct effect on how the movies were written and, in turn, how contracts were negotiated, and the higher-ups just didn't wanna deal with that?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 6, 2021

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Minidust posted:

Was there some kind of edict from the studio (or perhaps P. Stew himself) to keep Picard single in the TNG movies? It seems odd that they never did anything with him and Beverly, considering it was teased throughout the series, right down to the final episode.

It's especially weird in light of how the movies tended to ubuptly resolve some of the TV character plotlines, like the emotion chip or Riker/Troi. I guess an "official" Picard/Crusher deal would've had a more direct effect on how the movies were written and, in turn, how contracts were negotiated, and the higher-ups just didn't wanna deal with that?

I am pretty sure Stewart just wanted Picard to be swashbuckling his way across the galaxy and getting into new romances every so often.

Meanwhile everyone else just wanted to keep depicting Picard as he always had been, married to his job.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I am pretty sure Stewart just wanted Picard to be swashbuckling his way across the galaxy and getting into new romances every so often.

Meanwhile everyone else just wanted to keep depicting Picard as he always had been, married to his job.

Also every time Picard and Crusher hooked up it ended in disaster across multiple timelines, so I think they just left it at friends with benefits and paid no mind to each other’s weird hook ups like the candle sex ghost and the Luddite hippy lady who could slow time.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It does indeed make for a good (and realistic!) story that Crusher/Picard never really happens. It just goes against the general TNG movie M.O. of "heyyyy remember this thing that we set up/teased in the TV series? BAM PAYOFFOUTTANOWHERE

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This is certainly the correct reason to keep Picard on his own, but I'm not gonna give movie-era TNG that benefit of the doubt!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eh, TNG is from the era where everything needs to reset at the end of the episode. Also when you have 20 scripts in motion at once you really can't dally with things like 'what if 6 episodes in maybe we put two characters in a relationship?' That kind of thing has a cascading effect on everything else that's being written.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, you go into it with noble intentions, but eventually you either wind up as a Piersson's Puppeteer, or worse a Vorlon or a Shadow.
AHEM

Also I think this is the premise of some of the Strugatsky books?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Edit: wrong thread

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TFW you go back to work in Washington DC on January 7, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

George O. Smith had a matter duplicator in one of the Venus Equilateral stories, Special Delivery from 1945. If you like stories about engineers and scientists solving problems with math and science you'll love these. The titular space station is a communications relay sitting at one of Venus' Lagrange points. Hijinks happen and sometimes they fight crime.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
My favorite SF story about transporter-esque technology is Doomship by Frederik Pohl and Jack Williamson. In that story, you walk through a device and nothing happens to you at all, but your exact duplicate is sent on a one-way trip to wherever it's needed, which is usually somewhere extremely dangerous or deadly. People casually volunteer for this and then go on with their day, and at the same time "they"/their duplicates step through a portal on a radiation-blasted ship which will kill them in three months and think gently caress WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know I was struck by a thought today: they literally built a TOS set for Enterprise for In a Mirror, Darkly, right? If they were going to do another time period for the series finale, they should have pulled S2 Discovery and visit Pike's Enterprise, since that'd be basically 100 years exactly after the show, with T'Pol serving as the bridging character.

Now I'm mad this didn't happen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Yvonmukluk posted:

You know I was struck by a thought today: they literally built a TOS set for Enterprise for In a Mirror, Darkly, right? If they were going to do another time period for the series finale, they should have pulled S2 Discovery and visit Pike's Enterprise, since that'd be basically 100 years exactly after the show, with T'Pol serving as the bridging character.

They built most of the sets you see, but iirc parts of the bridge came from a fan recreation or museum or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Yvonmukluk posted:

If only for both T'Pols saying "The Vulcan Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible" at the same time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They built most of the sets you see, but iirc parts of the bridge came from a fan recreation or museum or something.

The bridge itself was constructed from scratch, they actually built the full set minus the one-quarter wall used for the "wild" / camera setups. I believe they used some fan pieces as reference material for recreating areas like the Jeffries tubes (and also cheated a bit with compositing stock footage for some other sets, like was done on These Are the Voyages), though.

Edit: I think they had to borrow the captain's chair, now that I think about it.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 7, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And they couldn't have just borrowed it for a while longer? I'm sure 'we want to use this for our season finale, too' would have been acceptable, with the right compensation. You wouldn't have to have build TNG sets or hire back Frakes & Sirtis, so that'd give some extra money to throw around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yvonmukluk posted:

And they couldn't have just borrowed it for a while longer? I'm sure 'we want to use this for our season finale, too' would have been acceptable, with the right compensation. You wouldn't have to have build TNG sets or hire back Frakes & Sirtis, so that'd give some extra money to throw around.

Considering how heavily Enterprise's budget was cut for the fourth season, they really didn't have the flexibility to keep a Constitution-class bridge sitting around taking up space on Stage 9, and These Are the Voyages had already been written by Berman and Braga in the third season because they knew they wanted Enterprise's finale to be a book-end to the Berman era of Trek on television. (They barely built any sets for TATV, anyway, largely cheating with partial reconstructions and composite shots.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Considering how heavily Enterprise's budget was cut for the fourth season, they really didn't have the flexibility to keep a Constitution-class bridge sitting around taking up space on Stage 9, and These Are the Voyages had already been written by Berman and Braga in the third season because they knew they wanted Enterprise's finale to be a book-end to the Berman era of Trek on television. (They barely built any sets for TATV, anyway, largely cheating with partial reconstructions and composite shots.)
You can really tell in the ‘Enterprise-D hallways’ scenes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

The bridge itself was constructed from scratch, they actually built the full set minus the one-quarter wall used for the "wild" / camera setups. I believe they used some fan pieces as reference material for recreating areas like the Jeffries tubes (and also cheated a bit with compositing stock footage for some other sets, like was done on These Are the Voyages), though.

Edit: I think they had to borrow the captain's chair, now that I think about it.

Huh, I thought they used either the Ticonderoga sets or the ST Continues ones.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
why's everyone so mean to garak :(

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Verviticus posted:

why's everyone so mean to garak :(

If Garak wanted people to be nice to him he could make that happen with his magic manipulation powers (well, maybe not with Kira). But I get the impression he enjoys everyone's wary ambivalence, or at least prefers it to the idea of making buddies with everyone.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If Garak had his way, everyone on the station except Bashir would leave him to his own devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

TFW you go back to work in Washington DC on January 7, 2021

for real

If not now then when?