Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Rah! posted:

rob a bank(s)

double the number of caltrains then paint BART logos on them

make them extra loud so fancy peninsula aristocrats can hear them coming from 69 miles away, thus increasing pedestrian safety

bing bong now you got BART down the peninsula

Rob armored money trucks; Threaten to rob all armored money transports that aren't trains. Rail Infrastructure suddenly becomes more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

But muh freelance writing job!

:barf:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Sorry, if you want to be a Freelance writer, you gotta develop an app for that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The writing stuff was fixed before that was ever up for a vote.

Or go on blaming the working class, that's good too.

vvv Don't blame me I didn't start it. Also I'm not sure how CA labor law is a derail in the CA politics thread

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 5, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh my god please not this derail again.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

The writing stuff was fixed before that was ever up for a vote.

Or go on blaming the working class, that's good too.

vvv Don't blame me I didn't start it. Also I'm not sure how CA labor law is a derail in the CA politics thread

It's a reference to that crazy hyper-defensive goon a while ago I think.

Teamsters have confirmed that their drivers will be keeping their jobs, it's the non-union ones who will be losing theirs.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Still Dismal posted:

It's a reference to that crazy hyper-defensive goon a while ago I think.

I'm aware of the reference and that goon was correct, and the law was fixed.

I did not agree with mocking that goon then, or now.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Still Dismal posted:

Teamsters have confirmed that their drivers will be keeping their jobs, it's the non-union ones who will be losing theirs.

That’s what the article linked in this thread earlier said.

quote:

Drivers under the Albertsons Companies umbrella are employees, while Ralphs delivery is operated by Instacart and Target uses Shipt, a similar app. At Bay Area stores, drivers are unionized, and will not be affected by the layoffs. For southern California shoppers, this move leaves them without a grocery delivery option that treats drivers as employees.
Unions are vowing to fight the change, says Jim Araby, Director of Strategic Campaigns at UCFW5. “The only drivers that kept their jobs were the unionized drivers in the Bay Area. All the other drivers in California were laid off because they were non-union. We represent those drivers and they will keep their job.”

Join your union, and the big union.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Katie Porter is now a member of the House Oversight Committee. Go get 'em, Katie.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

droll posted:

That’s what the article linked in this thread earlier said.

Join your union, and the big union.

I am not sure teamsters that work hard to kill freight rail and was headed by the mafia is worth defending, there is better.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Celexi posted:

I am not sure teamsters that work hard to kill freight rail and was headed by the mafia is worth defending, there is better.

lol, loving shut up dumbass. UFCW don't try to kill freight rail and were never headed by the mafia, you're a complete utter moron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Food_and_Commercial_Workers

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

fermun posted:

lol, loving shut up dumbass. UFCW don't try to kill freight rail and were never headed by the mafia, you're a complete utter moron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Food_and_Commercial_Workers

I am talking about teamsters that threatened to strike UPS if they used more freight rail.

Edit: https://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/29848-ups-teamsters-agree-to-cut-use-of-rail-rely-more-on-sleeper-team-drivers

Celexi fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 6, 2021

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Celexi posted:

I am talking about teamsters that threatened to strike UPS if they used more freight rail.

That has nothing to do with the topic then. The grocery store drivers that are keeping their jobs are UFCW members. All the ones being replaced by gig-drivers are the ones that didn't join UFCW. It's grocery store employees so they're UFCW not teamsters.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

fermun posted:

That has nothing to do with the topic then. The grocery store drivers that are keeping their jobs are UFCW members. All the ones being replaced by gig-drivers are the ones that didn't join UFCW. It's grocery store employees so they're UFCW not teamsters.

Oh, okay, misread as teamsters being the union and not UFCW sorry.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Celexi posted:

Edit: https://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/29848-ups-teamsters-agree-to-cut-use-of-rail-rely-more-on-sleeper-team-drivers

This is an international problem. Same thing happened in Argentina between the trucker union and the rail union. Perverse incentives.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nobody told us there’s be those people...

https://benitolink.com/the-wall-between-home-ownership-and-homelessness/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

The residents BenitoLink spoke to expressed concern for the less fortunate, though some homeowners in The Lanes are upset that they now live in homes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars while people experiencing homelessness have set up what appears to be a permanent camp on the other side of the wall just feet away.

"Of course it's horrible that these poor people are homeless, but have you considered how unfair it is that they get to live near me, when I had to pay so much money to live here?"

quote:

Some of the homeless persons come into the community on garbage pick-up day, which she said “they don’t have permission to do.” She said she’s seen them “lurking around the neighborhood,” but is not aware of them stealing anything or attempting to break into homes.

So they're not stealing, not vandalizing, not breaking into homes, and not harassing people. All they do is come in and pick bottles out of recycle bins for the CRV. Truly a menace to society worthy of writing a "poor new home owners!" :qq: article about.

quote:

“They don’t bother me, but I think it’s important to relocate them,” she said, adding that when she bought her home, the DeNova Homes salesperson told her the company was “taking care of the homeless situation and they would not be there.”

"I don't mind that they're here, but I want them gone and moved here on the promise they would be gone. So they should be gone. But again they actually don't bother me, honest."

Also like how there's two paragraphs in there where the author actually interviews a single homeless person living in the encampment and gives some context about how loving hopeless of a situation it is to be homeless, but instead of doing anything with that just immediately pivots back to the homeowner complaints with virtually no actual transition. Gotta appear fair and balanced I guess.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

LOL

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I got some good news yesterday. The park in Westchester I do outreach in was going to get swept on Monday and we were able to get it canceled! Mike Bonin's office has agreed to work with Street Watch again to create a cleaning system that doesn't gently caress over the unhoused living in the park! His office worked with one of our members in Venice on a new cleaning pilot program, the radical concept of just asking unhoused people what they want thrown away and then throwing that stuff away. Its a pretty small political victory, but I will be real I don't get many victories so I am happy. Next step will be trying to get the showers at the park made available.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I got some good news yesterday. The park in Westchester I do outreach in was going to get swept on Monday and we were able to get it canceled! Mike Bonin's office has agreed to work with Street Watch again to create a cleaning system that doesn't gently caress over the unhoused living in the park! His office worked with one of our members in Venice on a new cleaning pilot program, the radical concept of just asking unhoused people what they want thrown away and then throwing that stuff away. Its a pretty small political victory, but I will be real I don't get many victories so I am happy. Next step will be trying to get the showers at the park made available.

That's awesome news!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Awesome work! :buddy:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JesusIsTehCool posted:

In these days of constant poo poo news this is really nice to hear. :unsmith:

Great work!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Californians registered as Democrats, please vote for your local slate of progressive delegates in the upcoming ADEM elections. You have to register by MONDAY to receive a ballot:

https://twitter.com/alfred_twu/status/1348017879870967808

This is important because the delegates vote on the state platform and choose which officials are endorsed by the state party, among other things. As one example of what is at stake, progressives were able to block the state party from endorsing Feinstein in her last election.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 10, 2021

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Vox Nihili posted:

Californians registered as Democrats, please vote for your local slate of progressive delegates in the upcoming ADEM elections. You have to register by MONDAY to receive a ballot:

This is important because the delegates vote on the state platform and choose which officials are endorsed by the state party, among other things. As one example of what is at stake, progressives were able to block the state party from endorsing Feinstein in her last election.

Thanks for the reminder, I signed up just now. I voted in person last time, which... I will not be doing this time lol

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Thank you for posting that, registered myself and my wife.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Celexi posted:

What does it feel like to have a completely smooth brain?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Done, thanks for the heads up! I pinged all my friends as well

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
loving Patrick Bateman wannabe piece of trash. Too bad he probably takes pretty good care of himself. DO MORE COKE, GAVIN!
https://twitter.com/NBCLA/status/1348359224674365447

quote:

He specifically praised AirBnb, which held an initial public offering last month, DoorDash and Salesforce. After Musk announced he was moving out of California, AirBnb head Brian Chesky said he and his company would stay in California. The company’s IPO raised $3.5 billion and boosted Chesky’s net worth.
“This is a special place,” he tweeted on Dec. 15, adding he’d spoken to Newsom about it.
Newsom’s comments irked some members of his party, particularly his shout-out to DoorDash, the food delivery company. It drew a quick retort from state Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, who is aligned with labor. DoorDash joined Lyft and Uber in spending more than $100 million to defeat a November ballot measure that would have required them to treat their drivers as employees entitled to certain wages and benefits.
“The Governor is proud of Door Dash. I am proud of the hard working delivery drivers that made the company successful despite being underpaid,” Gonzalez tweeted.
A coalition of labor unions, environmental groups and others last year pressed Newsom to increase taxes on the wealthy, but Newsom said those taxes are “not part of the conversation.”

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

starting to think this guy kinda stinks

can't wait to see the arguments he'll make against single payer

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Should have voted for John Chiang, California!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Yea I have to agree. So much of California is hosed up because most peoples wealth is tied up in their homes. People think if you let someone build high density housing in their neighborhood it will lower their property value and you will ruin their retirement. That being said the zoning bull poo poo is just a manifestation of the problems with capitalism, like people wouldn't vote this way if the economic system didn't give them huge personal incentives to do so. There actually are a ton of abandoned buildings all over the place, in LA I can think of a bunch of dead/dying malls, giant ex-aerospace office spaces, old unused hospitals, and at least one very large building in San Pedro which used to house disable people but got bought and closed by a speculator. Unhoused disabled people now sleep on the sidewalk in front of it.

I don't want to go down a libertarian rabbit hole but it's not just a problem with capitalism, it's also a problem with government. The zoning rules are created and enforced by the government. Are there special interests to make the government do it? Yes.

These people in Los Angeles that own multi-family units that are 50+ years old have a financial interest to make sure that today's zoning of low density, high marketing requirements stay in place. Essentially it ensures that no other inventory can go on market that has more income potential from a dollar per square foot metric. Even if you own a building that is 50+ years old and out of sync with today's zoning, you have the right to rebuild the building as it was if it burned down. The laws in place have set up a scenario where the highest income potential is trading old inventory and not to build new. The only time new inventory gets build is when government steps in and essentially gives concessions.

Meanwhile in Japan, inventory loses value as it gets older because they are continually building new inventory.

The whole situation is hosed up.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"aligned with labor" just call it aligned with actual motherfucking human beings

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

I don't want to go down a libertarian rabbit hole but it's not just a problem with capitalism, it's also a problem with government. The zoning rules are created and enforced by the government. Are there special interests to make the government do it? Yes.

These people in Los Angeles that own multi-family units that are 50+ years old have a financial interest to make sure that today's zoning of low density, high marketing requirements stay in place. Essentially it ensures that no other inventory can go on market that has more income potential from a dollar per square foot metric. Even if you own a building that is 50+ years old and out of sync with today's zoning, you have the right to rebuild the building as it was if it burned down. The laws in place have set up a scenario where the highest income potential is trading old inventory and not to build new. The only time new inventory gets build is when government steps in and essentially gives concessions.

Meanwhile in Japan, inventory loses value as it gets older because they are continually building new inventory.

The whole situation is hosed up.

Problems with government ARE problems with capitalism. The means of production and exchange form the base upon which the laws are made. The wealthy are best served by the existing laws, that's why they are the existing laws, they then ensure that existing laws remain in place and make minor concessions to allow some single-family homeowners to profit as well, but at a lower rate to make fights to change the laws harder.

In Japan, income inequality is much lower and high estate taxes do a lot to prevent generational wealth from building up, so the middle class has enough money to be powerful enough to influence the laws such that they benefit themselves.

You can't properly address problems with laws without addressing the problems that exist to enshrine those laws in the first place.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Doc Hawkins posted:

starting to think this guy kinda stinks

can't wait to see the arguments he'll make against single payer
Will there be weird cross-political alliances over a Gavin Newsom recall? Or will Gavbot get his algorithms re-tuned?

Find out next time on our 3-part docuseries looking back on California's contentious governorship on:

The Rock; The Vote.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I dunno, but I'm worried that people like Kevin Kiley are mini trumps. He's just hammering Newsom repeatedly for everything. First its that schools were closed, now its that they aren't opening correctly. His rhetoric is just attacking Newsom and all the comments on his posts are by insane people.

GOP is playing with fire across the board.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gavin would actually have to lose a recall election and I just don't see that happening. Yeah he's flubbed COVID pretty badly but the political climate in the state is massively different than it was in 2003 and I just don't see a majority voting to kick him out. We're talking about a guy who won the governorship with 61.9% of the vote vs Cox.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tired: Cox
WIRED: the Rock

Honestly I could see a Governator re:do with the Rock this time.

It's really something to see how the initial Covid response was measured and effective and how easily it toppled when a bunch of moron Republicans turned it into a culture war thing.

Yeah he deserves poo poo for the premature opening but with the Feds abandoning us, what was there?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Please kill me. I hate this timeline.

https://twitter.com/aptly_engineerd/status/1349172889879146496?s=21

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hell yeah, bring on the 100+ year old senators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;