Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Glad to see this thread already going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Packo!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pocky? :v:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

"The official snack of the Imperial Japanese Navy!"

...probably.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The IJN was known for introducing recruits to (relatively, compared to hinterland areas) good food, I don't think those would qualify.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hey, any ol wheat will do for preventing beriberi

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's wheat, not compressed sawdust and chocolate colored used industrial grease.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

The IJN was known for introducing recruits to (relatively, compared to hinterland areas) good food, I don't think those would qualify.

Since white rice was more prestigious than brown rice, a bunch of IJN sailors ended up with malnutrition.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Lone Badger posted:

Since white rice was more prestigious than brown rice, a bunch of IJN sailors ended up with malnutrition.

Also the way IJN traditionally handled provisions. Polished white rice, which as you said was seen as prestigious, urban, and sophisticated, was offered in unlimited quantity as a benefit of service. All other foods, like meats and veggies were stocked, but sailors had to purchase them out of pocket. This predictably led to a bunch of sailors trying to save more of their wages by subsiding entirely on white rice and water.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's amazing how many societies discovered ways to starve with the larder full.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 23, 2021

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I dont know posted:

Also the way IJN traditionally handled provisions. Polished white rice, which as you said was seen as prestigious, urban, and sophisticated, was offered in unlimited quantity as a benefit of service. All other foods, like meats and veggies were stocked, but sailors had to purchase them out of pocket. This predictably led to a bunch of sailors trying to save more of their wages by subsiding entirely on white rice and water.

Like... they knew about scurvy, right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

The IJN figured out the rice issue around the 1880s and fixed it. However the IJN and the IJA hated each other, so the army kept getting beriberi for a while yet.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

RabidWeasel posted:

You need very little vitamin C to recover from early symptoms of scurvy. Like, a couple oranges' worth over two weeks. Or a couple tablets.

Beriberi was much less understood (in fact, it's that whole IJN specialty that led to understanding its root cause)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

SIGSEGV posted:

That's wheat, not compressed sawdust and chocolate colored used industrial grease.

This probably describes a lot of the most commons foods in Shadowrun. Well except the chocolate part; that's replaced with soycolate.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Actually scurvy has an interesting history, various people and organizations at various times figured out that fresh food was the cure and you have the lemon juice and so on.

And then the RN decided that lemons were from Sicily and weak and non British and that proper lime juice (a quarter of the vitamin C content) from British India was much better and stored it in copper containers that also degraded the vitamin C content. So basically the entire scurvy protection was gone, but at that time journeys were short enough that sailors got to eat fresh food in port and didn't suffer from it. Oops. There's a lot of very funny things, in that meaning of funny, that happened to antarctic expeditions that I'm too lazy to find, like recovering from scurvy by hunting and eating meat, then canning it to ward off pathogens and infections and then getting scurvy because the canning reduced the vitamin C intake.

The real cause of scurvy was only properly understood and verified in the 1920s-30s, I think.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Lone Badger posted:

The IJN figured out the rice issue around the 1880s and fixed it. However the IJN and the IJA hated each other, so the army kept getting beriberi for a while yet.

Is there like a big old post or website I can read for funny examples of the IJN and IJA loving with each other?

Also was it purely a prestige thing the reason they hated each other, or something else?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Is there like a big old post or website I can read for funny examples of the IJN and IJA loving with each other?

I think there were one or more effortposts about this in one of the old military history threads, but I don't know which one and they're all enormous.

My favorite IJN/IJA fact is probably that the rivalry went so far that the IJA had their own ships and the IJN had their own infantry units. :allears:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think there were cases of the IJA deliberately conscripting (or trying to at least) dockworkers, shipyard workers, merchant marine and other people with similar expertise just so the IJN couldn't get them.

And then there was the navy and the army trying as hard as they could to not share any equipment whatsoever, with engineers developing what was, say, basically the exact same plane for the navy and the army not being allowed to talk to each other.

I'm not an expert on the topic though, that's just stuff I remember off the top of my head; it might not actually be true, but lol that it's still plausible.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Comrade Koba posted:

I think there were one or more effortposts about this in one of the old military history threads, but I don't know which one and they're all enormous.

My favorite IJN/IJA fact is probably that the rivalry went so far that the IJA had their own ships and the IJN had their own infantry units. :allears:

I mean, the US Army operates ~500 ships and several hundred planes, until I think the end of the Cold War the US Navy required every ship to maintain a "permanently organized naval landing party" aka infantry and they still have hundreds of aircraft, the "US Air Force Security Forces" number like 40,000 soldiers and there are still a small number of ships operated by the USAF, and I'm sure the Marines and Coast Guard also have tons of stuff you wouldn't immediately associate with them

Not to say that there isn't a rivalry between the branches, of course :v:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

Also was it purely a prestige thing the reason they hated each other, or something else?

Same dynamic as in Nazi Germany : the upper brass encouraged "healthy competition" and allocated resources; men and materials based half on glorious victories, half on politicking & nepotism, and a third half on kissing their arse to a mirror shine. Of course, this approach was also dictated by divide & conquer power dynamics : as long as the underlings are in a crab bucket, they're not plotting a coup.
As a result the various branches of the armed forces kept backstabbing each other, not just out of the traditional spite that exists between military branches most everywhere, but also out of basic survival instinct.

The most efficient aspect of this enforced darwinian genius at work probably has to awarded to the intelligence ops. Intelligence ops plural : in Germany and Japan alike, each armed branch had its own spies, counter-spies, codes and codebreakers ; and they didn't share *any info whatsoever* with the others unless directly ordered to (and even then shared the strictest minimum).
You can guess how brilliantly that all worked out.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised they weren't infiltrating each other with spies, honestly.

Well, I'm assuming they weren't. That might be an incorrect assumption.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The guy who would eventually be imperial japan's naval commander-in-chief during WWII was reassigned from naval ministry on shore to a shipboard command earlier in his career partially to protect him from Army-backed assasination attempts

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
This is the best derail. Outside of the beriberi stuff, I didn't know any of this. This is why I love the Shadowrun threads :allears:

It's funny, that this is taking place here. If it was in the Tyranny LP it would be completely on topic.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

System Metternich posted:

I mean, the US Army operates ~500 ships and several hundred planes, until I think the end of the Cold War the US Navy required every ship to maintain a "permanently organized naval landing party" aka infantry and they still have hundreds of aircraft, the "US Air Force Security Forces" number like 40,000 soldiers and there are still a small number of ships operated by the USAF, and I'm sure the Marines and Coast Guard also have tons of stuff you wouldn't immediately associate with them

Yes, but AFAIK the reason the USAF Security Forces exist isn’t because some army generals told the AF chiefs of staff to gently caress off and die when asked for support.

The IJA/IJN thing would be more like the US Navy suddenly refusing to let their ships be used to ferry the troops on D-Day, so the Army has to build the USS General Patton themselves if they want to get across the channel.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I'm surprised they weren't infiltrating each other with spies, honestly.

Well, I'm assuming they weren't. That might be an incorrect assumption.

Germany was less directly in-fighty about things, they "merely" mired everyone else in as much red tape, feet dragging, manufactured delays, hiding critical information, obstinate bullshit and so on as possible. I'm not aware of any *direct*, active sabotage.

The Japanese OTOH routinely tried to have each other murdered. As you do when you're fighting an existential war, yanno.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 8, 2021

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Legit stoked to have 3 War In The Pacific threads going at the same time.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Broken Box posted:

Legit stoked to have 3 War In The Pacific threads going at the same time.

This isn’t a War in the Pacific thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HereticMIND posted:

I almost posted this too, but

where’s Hong Kong

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Captain Foo posted:

I almost posted this too, but

where’s Hong Kong

There *was* no Hong Kong back in WW2, it was a British colony.

(I'll see myself out)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

HereticMIND posted:

Go home, admiral Halsey, you’re drunk.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HereticMIND posted:

:thejoke:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Speaking of Hong Kong, Mel Odom wrote a 452-page novel version of this game with the dialogue taken directly from it and everything.

As an LPer I can kind of relate to this endeavor in a strange way, I wonder how similar his methods were to mine. I assume he was provided with a script or something.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Speaking of Hong Kong, Mel Odom wrote a 452-page novel version of this game with the dialogue taken directly from it and everything.

How do the fight scenes read?

"Hostile Corp Agent #2 was standing right in front of me, but I didn't have enough AP was too disoriented to do something about it. Fortunately, as I froze in mid-step, the next member of my team overcame their sudden paralysis."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"Well gently caress you!" I shouted as I threw the flashbang in his direction. It went wide, but distracted the corp agent sufficiently that he failed to notice the salamander escaping its cage.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

How do the fight scenes read?

"Hostile Corp Agent #2 was standing right in front of me, but I didn't have enough AP was too disoriented to do something about it. Fortunately, as I froze in mid-step, the next member of my team overcame their sudden paralysis."

Not quite that far, but it does kind of read like someone was actually playing through the game rather than going by a script. A lot of mentions of cover and details like Is0bel disabling the drones, the police barricade that was past the exit point and the sniper hits you take during the escape. They even pick up the Basic Medkit (though as just "first aid kit") from the bike behind the trio of smugglers. :v:

Here's the initial fight:

I'm not much of a book critic but it doesn't seem great or anything, just kind of interesting to see how this or that part from the game looks like in it if you've played it. It's available on Google Books and maybe elsewhere for a few euros for anyone curious, though obviously it spoils the whole game so let's not bring too much of it here.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 9, 2021

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Was this an official adaptation, a fan project, or something in between?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

I dont know posted:

An official novelization. One of the kickstarter tiers was to get your OC in the novel.

edit: there... uh... there were eighty of those apparently. wow. Honestly impressed Odom could pull that off. And if you don't recognize the name he's a professional writer of tie in novels for videogames, TV shows, tabletop systems, stuff like that. Actually pretty good at what he does.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 9, 2021

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I dont know posted:

It's official and was announced during the Kickstarter, the author had apparently written other Shadowrun books back in the 90s (Playing for Keeps, Headhunters & Run Hard, Die Fast) and overall has done quite a lot of stuff like this. Including seven novels for Sabrina, the Teenage Witch! I genuinely wish I had that kind of writing energy.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Which corp owns Tokyo Bay Fortress?

HereticMIND posted:

huge, if true