Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you looking forward to in 2021?
This poll is closed.
More Bowesette 86 29.76%
This poll being modified by the mods 23 7.96%
game industry unionizing 80 27.68%
less open world AAA games 21 7.27%
being one of cheetah's little pogchamps 1 0.35%
78 26.99%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

VideoGames posted:

Same. I was so sad when Legend of Korra finished. I was so very into it and the end title music is truly something gorgeous:)

Also why is it called a pogchamp? I know the emote is from the gootek dude but why pogchamp. Is it to do with pogs? (Of which the iks claim I am super into for some reason (?????)) Or just a silly word associated with it?

I looked it up and Pogchamp is short for Play of Game Champion. It gets spammed when something cool happens on a Twitch stream or ironically when someone screws up.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

Well I got Outer Wilds as a Christmas gift and had the most baffling achievement unlock.

I decided to chase down the thing you see go flying at the start of every loop, managed to follow it completely out of the solar system, then matched speed and got out to take a look.

I checked around it and couldn't see anything I could do with it, so I got ready to ram myself against it to kill myself and start the next loop. I had the audio scope out because I gave it a quick check beforehand.

I slammed into the thing, died, and as I died the impact spun me around a bit and the achievement for hearing all music at once popped.

From what I figure, the thing went in such a direction and I spent just long enough fiddling with it that when I ran into it and died, it spun me at such a perfect angle that all the music players were lined up and I got them all for a split second before I respawned.

Now I'm sorta sad I didn't get that achievement properly, I didn't get a chance to actually hear the music.

I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with following that thing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you Rairty and OhFunny.

The only pogs I care about are

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

quote:

Twitch said it will now work with the community to design a new emote "for the most hype moments" on its platform.

I have some ideas

https://twitter.com/tanisthelesbiab/status/1327411886799745026

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

New Super Metis posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with following that thing.

If it wasn't important, they wouldn't have it be the first thing you see at the start of every loop.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Exactly!!!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

The only mecha-anything I could ever really get into was that One Must Fall 2097 robot fighting game back on DOS. Man, anyone else remember that? The midi title theme was so ridiculously catchy I can still whistle it flawlessly even almost 30 years later.

It wasn't midi, it was tracker music, a different technology that finds its roots in demomaking and allowed much better stuff than midi, which is one of the reasons that theme stands apart.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BisbyWorl posted:

Now I'm sorta sad I didn't get that achievement properly, I didn't get a chance to actually hear the music.

Outer Wilds is a sad game, in a way you just have one meta reason more

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am big into tracker music. Back when MP3s first came about at school, I had been visiting computer fairs and along with buying all these doom / quake wad compilation cds I also bought CDs full of loose tracker music and then turned them into my own mp3s :D

Goodness. I still have them all as well, though no CD drive to read them - but I did archive them digitally. Finding out about a year ago that one of my most favourite old tracker files (Hyperdrive) was made by (if they both used the same handle which marries up in the timeline) also made the music to Hydrocity Zone in Sonic 3 was one of those :eyepop: moments that keeps me on my toes :D

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

The only mecha-anything I could ever really get into was that One Must Fall 2097 robot fighting game back on DOS. Man, anyone else remember that? The midi title theme was so ridiculously catchy I can still whistle it flawlessly even almost 30 years later.

It was my first fighting game and it was freakin’ awesome.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Thinking about Gootecks got me thinking about the similarly named game trading service I used a bunch in the 360/PS3 era called Goozex. You would list your games then ship them to people that wanted them and you would get points that you could redeem for other games on the service. Does anyone else remember this website?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Duolingo Spanish would be so easy if it weren't for this gender bullshit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gripweed posted:

Life would be so easy if it weren't for this gender bullshit

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Chev posted:

It wasn't midi, it was tracker music, a different technology that finds its roots in demomaking and allowed much better stuff than midi, which is one of the reasons that theme stands apart.
Huh, neat. I never knew that was even a thing.

Gripweed posted:

Duolingo Spanish would be so easy if it weren't for this gender bullshit
I read an interesting article on how people learn second languages once which claimed that the average native speaker of Spanish or German or whatever wouldn't be able to really tell you how they know what the gender of a word they've never heard before should be, they just kind of do. If you asked five random people about it, four of them would give you the same answer, but none of them would really be able to explain why. It's something you just kind of have to grow up with, apparently.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

VideoGames posted:

I am big into tracker music. Back when MP3s first came about at school, I had been visiting computer fairs and along with buying all these doom / quake wad compilation cds I also bought CDs full of loose tracker music and then turned them into my own mp3s :D

Goodness. I still have them all as well, though no CD drive to read them - but I did archive them digitally. Finding out about a year ago that one of my most favourite old tracker files (Hyperdrive) was made by (if they both used the same handle which marries up in the timeline) also made the music to Hydrocity Zone in Sonic 3 was one of those :eyepop: moments that keeps me on my toes :D

the tracker music to Unreal Tournament still is a banger, I could frag to Mechanism 8 for hours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9kvbXt4tk

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

People making memes of this guy was fun and then I heard his name is Q Shaman and he's a legit celebrity in Q circles and now I just hate life

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
*In a Ronnie James Dio voice*

Ride the Tigrex

https://i.imgur.com/OtijWsr.mp4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rarity posted:

People making memes of this guy was fun and then I heard his name is Q Shaman and he's a legit celebrity in Q circles and now I just hate life

he's smart, unfortunately. he's trying to be a meme.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Saint Freak posted:

*In a Ronnie James Dio voice*

Ride the Tigrex

wow stories 2 is looking wild since the last time i saw it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trying to wake myself up by listening to the Persona 5 Strikers soundtrack this morning and this whole soundtrack loving shreds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ucIdYj42sM

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

Trying to wake myself up by listening to the Persona 5 Strikers soundtrack this morning and this whole soundtrack loving shreds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ucIdYj42sM

Persona 5 Strikers not being an arcade soccer game is a travesty.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The combat part of 13 Sentinels is surprisingly great. Also I absolutely love every single character which is VERY rare for the Anime Genre

Amazing game so far and I'm only like 10% through the game at most

(Are there actually 13 protagonists?)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I looked it up and Pogchamp is short for Play of Game Champion

no it isn't, its from a blooper reel that was made while filming a video literally about pogs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I used to watch excellent adventures back in the day...i hope Mike Ross isn't a terrible person at least

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Simone Magus posted:

The combat part of 13 Sentinels is surprisingly great. Also I absolutely love every single character which is VERY rare for the Anime Genre

Amazing game so far and I'm only like 10% through the game at most

(Are there actually 13 protagonists?)

Yes, you will be unlocking the remainder soon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the tracker music to Unreal Tournament still is a banger, I could frag to Mechanism 8 for hours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9kvbXt4tk

Years ago I ripped all the .umx files I had (Unreal 1, UT99, and Deus Ex) to MP3. I have a big playlist of ambient and soundtrack music for when I'm trying to concentrate on something and they still come up sometimes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i miss that 90s synth sound

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

OhFunny posted:

I looked it up and Pogchamp is short for Play of Game Champion. It gets spammed when something cool happens on a Twitch stream or ironically when someone screws up.

I... I always thought it was somehow referring to those little cardboard discs too...

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

I... I always thought it was somehow referring to those little cardboard discs too...

it is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i will spread the truth about pogchamp. we will not forget history

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OhFunny posted:

This is literally not what it is.

Gootecks and Mike Ross did a video where they played actual Pogs and there was an outtake video where the cameraman hit the camera and Gootecks made that face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9TNY75jhcs&t=125s

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rarity posted:

be happy, because now they are all claiming he is actually undercover antifa so he's hated by his own people

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I was hoodwinked!!!!!!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
It stands for Piece of gShit

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
new pogchamp emote

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

sharrrk posted:

no it isn't, its from a blooper reel that was made while filming a video literally about pogs

Obligatum VII posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

This is literally not what it is.

Gootecks and Mike Ross did a video where they played actual Pogs and there was an outtake video where the cameraman hit the camera and Gootecks made that face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9TNY75jhcs&t=125s

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pogchamp

quote:

PogChamp, also known as Pog Champion or Play of Game Champ, is one of the oldest emotes on Twitch. The emote is used as a way to express excitement or surprise both genuinely or sarcastically. Typically PogChamp is spammed during a stream when something exciting happens, such as pulling off a clutch kill or play, but the emote can also be used in a trolling fashion where there is no hype, like a streamer failing a challenge or being killed in a mundane setting.

In 2020, phrases PogChamp and its derivatives POGGERS and Pog gained significant presence in online slang, often used to express hype and other positive emotions. The word PogChamp saw use as a term of endearment, as in My Little PogChamp.

:shrug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wow a user curated wiki is wrong about something.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Wonder what Mike Ross is up to nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its used on a children's website and children don't know what pogs are so they thought it was an acronym