Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I actively hate time travel so let me save you the trouble, the worst time travel movie of all time is Ashton Kutcher's The Butterfly Effect and YES I am talking about the Director's Cut where he travels back to being a baby in his mother's womb and hangs himself with his own umbilical chord to stop the entire movie from happening.

EDIT: I've never had an MRI but I fall asleep getting tattoo'd all the time, I find it extremely therapeutic and relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I actively hate time travel so let me save you the trouble, the worst time travel movie of all time is Ashton Kutcher's The Butterfly Effect and YES I am talking about the Director's Cut where he travels back to being a baby in his mother's womb and hangs himself with his own umbilical chord to stop the entire movie from happening.

:stare:

I haven't seen the director's cut

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bust Rodd posted:

lmao that cant be true. poo poo now i gotta find a copy of the DC.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cardiovorax posted:

No kidding. Huh, I think 2020 might actually work out to a six-day average.

6 hours, 6 days, 6 mods.

Ps4 thread is clearly the mark of the beast.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao that cant be true. poo poo now i gotta find a copy of the DC.

I remember being completely done with the film and then this sequence starts and the music kicks in and i was SCREAMING

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bust Rodd posted:

I remember being completely done with the film and then this sequence starts and the music kicks in and i was SCREAMING

It's terrible but the least objectionable time travel outcome. Check out Predestination haha.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Butterfly Effect is one of the best worst movies ever made. Novel concept, terrible script, offensive in many ways, yet utterly convinced of its own genius.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

As soon as I have finished dealing with the GOTY thread and all the prep work I will return to streaming.

I need to finish Dark Souls. I need to Plat BB and most importantly I need to right a wrong that has been going on for over a year and a half. I need to see where Trico's story finishes. I am very conscious of how much Imhotep has asked me to finish it back in the day and I do not want to let you down at all.

Hahah it’s cool, I didn’t mean to bug you about it before, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss a stream. Also, you played two of my other all time favorite games this year and streamed them, so that was just as cool. Plus you left off in a spot in The Last Guardian where not much has happened, plot wise I mean, that you might have forgotten. Aside from quality bonding time with Trico, I think really the only notable thing was that the weird antenna room made his eyes go crazy and he freaked out and ate you, but then felt bad and threw you back up, and the boy still doesn’t know how he got there .

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

Some thoughts on ME Catalyst: The movement system is like nothing else, not because it feels great (though it does when you get it right), but because of its nuance. You'll pick up on how even small differences in your input can affect your flow. Hold your slide a bit too long, or time your jump slightly wrong, and you'll lose momentum. So when you perfectly string together multiple sections, it's an actual achievement.

And you're going to notice those differences because the time trials (which is most of the activities) are brutal. Repeated retries are a little annoying with HDD load times, but they'll force you to pick up on the subtleties of the parkour. A single second can and will matter.

However, on the flipside, it hasn't been the relaxing experience I was looking for. Timers stress me out. They play a vital role here, so I don't begrudge their inclusion, but they might not be for me, not atm anyway. I already had glimpses of that flow state that'll come from mastering the platforming, but I don't know that I have the right disposition to get there right now.

Also, whilst the environment works as a real time parkouring puzzle in the trials, it isn't particularly interesting to explore. It isn't necessarily fair to fault the game for this---it's just not what the game's about---but it's one of the things enjoy most in in games with a strong traversal element.

I'll probably give it another hour or two, but idk if I'll stick with it longer.

It's cool to see someone giving the game a chance, though I feel like you may be falling into the same trap that a lot of people did who gave up. I wouldn't spend a bunch of time doing the brutal time trials right up front before you have your abilities or areas unlocked. Instead, turn runner vision to Classic, bump up the FOV, and go through the story missions and gridnodes until you have most of the city and moveset unlocked. At that point if you feel like doing brutal time trials with runner vision on then go for it, but I was always just more inclined to run around freely and flow like water. Anyways, it's one of my favorite games of all time for the movement and music alone, so just my advice. :)

addendum: shift > shift > topspeed > jump > coil > hard landing slide > 180 turn > backroll...is like an animation string so vivid that I still see it behind closed eyelids. :love:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Casnorf posted:

It's terrible but the least objectionable time travel outcome. Check out Predestination haha.

Predestination is such a loving wild trip through the ending. I cant help but admire the balls on how stupid it is.

I quite like Triangle. It's not as re-watchable as others mentioned but the first time through going blind it's kind of a fun ride.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new thread title :lol:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If people don't want to watch 6 hour YouTube video reviews... how about Twitch streamers...

https://twitter.com/108/status/1347280201114333184

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i almost forgot this thread was actually for talking about video games

i put a few hours into Outer Wilds last night after only playing it a tiny bit (just enough to get launch codes, really) when i first bought it a few months ago. it's really cool. but i also have thalassophobia so surprise landing on a planet and being immediately completely submerged gave me a mini heart attack lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

i put a few hours into Outer Wilds last night after only playing it a tiny bit (just enough to get launch codes, really) when i first bought it a few months ago. it's really cool. but i also have thalassophobia so surprise landing on a planet and being immediately completely submerged gave me a mini heart attack lol

That and similar bits in Half Life 1/2 are the only time games have given me actual anxiety

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

ShoogaSlim posted:

i almost forgot this thread was actually for talking about video games

Try out Subnautica next

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Try out Dark Bramble next

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Try out Subnautica next

Talking of which, that game finally runs well on PS4 (as far as pop in etc)

Like it never ran "bad" but the pop in really killed immersion

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That Doom story dump last weekend or whenever got me itching to finish playing through all the Dooms so I just finished Doom 3 on PS4. I hadn't played it before beyond the very beginning of the game back when it was new. It was okay but boy howdy the monster closet complaint was not overstated.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That and similar bits in Half Life 1/2 are the only time games have given me actual anxiety

yeah same here with HL, that big shark monster thing is scarier than Ravenholm in its entirety

Subautica: never gonna happen

Dark Bramble is pretty anxiety-inducing but just not in the same way, and i'm actually looking forward to exploring that more fully

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

Predestination is such a loving wild trip through the ending. I cant help but admire the balls on how stupid it is.

It's based on a Heinlein story and is one of the reasons I will endlessly maintain that by definition if you time travel you are a solipsistic rear end in a top hat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Simone Magus posted:

Talking of which, that game finally runs well on PS4 (as far as pop in etc)

Like it never ran "bad" but the pop in really killed immersion

Did they fix the bug where an entire tile wouldn't load for like 30 seconds?

Casnorf posted:

It's based on a Heinlein story and is one of the reasons I will endlessly maintain that by definition if you time travel you are a solipsistic rear end in a top hat.

That's more of a Heinlein thing than a time travel thing

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

Did they fix the bug where an entire tile wouldn't load for like 30 seconds?

As far as I can tell, yes! I downloaded it last week and was pleasantly surprised. I guess making all that money, they finally hired some programmers lol

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

haveblue posted:

That's more of a Heinlein thing than a time travel thing

Nah, you have to believe that you're the only Person in order to think anything can be changed. Anything else is tourism, a totally different kind of rear end in a top hat :p

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A new record: two hard crashes in the space of ten mins in CP77:aaa:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
YO

FIST OF THE NORTH STAR IS ONLY TENBUX NOW

IT'S A YAKUZA GAME WITH FOTN CHARACTERS

WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE GO BUY IT

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
from what i remember it made a good first impression... and then everyone stopped talking about it because it wasn't great

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

from what i remember it made a good first impression... and then everyone stopped talking about it because it wasn't great

Fist of the North Star??? Nah it's literally one of the best games they've made. It's better than Yakuza 4 and 5 for sure.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh I absolutely wouldn’t say that. I’d put it in the bottom third of their games for sure. But it’s still a Yakuza game but in FONS world and the two are an excellent match.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FoTNS is great. Short by Yakuza game standards, but that's not a bad thing these days.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Fist of the North Star??? Nah it's literally one of the best games they've made. It's better than Yakuza 4 and 5 for sure.

4 sure
5... hmm

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

I rate it above 5 purely for being a tighter package. 5 has a LOT of good stuff but also a lot of bad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got yer tighter package right here

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bought re3 for $9 😎 thats three fine australian dollars per hour of gameplay

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Simone Magus posted:

mods

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My PS5 got cancelled :negative:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

this is political correctness gone mad!!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

As far as time travel movies go, Assassin 33 AD, which is a recent religious film about tier 1 operatives going back in time to shoot jesus, is actually very good and worth watching if you have a sense of humour.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Simone Magus posted:

I love Yakuza and FotNS and it doesn't really do either justice, the only reason it's not the worst Yakuza game I've played is because I beat Dead Souls.
I guess I like it more than 4 but my problems with 4 are all entirely story or character based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got yer tighter package right here

I literally have no words

Well played :golfclap: