Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm not ignoring the critique/terms chat, promise; but today I have a different thing to announce.

Please welcome Dwarf74 as our newest addition to the Trad Games IK Krew!

Dwarf74 will nominally be IK for the kickstarter, gloomhaven, and OSR threads; and, like all TG IKs, can also fill in elsewhere as and when needed and able. Thanks Dwarf74. Sorry, Dwarf74!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Nice

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Can we get some words from Dwarf74 about the new coronation and possibly about polyhedrals

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sure Dwarf74 will get around to posting, whenever they've finished surviving the initiation rituals and hazing process.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tulip posted:

Roger Ebert famously considered games to be off-limits because they lacked a singular, final vision in their execution. Games are fundamentally open-ended, and the question of what happens in a even a relatively narrow game like Doom includes a set of audience actions that are ostensibly not possible with a movie or building. Personally I think this turns around quite easily to look at the ways in which a movie or a building are going to be warped and changed by the audience experience and I don't take Ebert's conclusion very seriously, but that aspect of open-endedness becomes far more extreme with RPGs, which do not have even defined story events or mandatory checkpoints. This provides an opening for the cowardly "there's no bad RPGs only bad tables" argument, which I can only imagine comes from people who have only experienced bad tables.

This mostly means that it's generally not valid to critique e.g. Ironsworn for any specific story that is told at a table, since that's kind of outside of what a given RPG is, but it is fair to critique how the RPG biases any stories that come out of it, which rules IMO.
It more an issue of fans of games getting way too defensive about even the mildest criticism of games they like. I mean, look what happened last year when people said "hey maybe D&D could be a little less racist?"

e: also rip dwarf74

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

aldantefax posted:

Can we get some words from Dwarf74 about the new coronation and possibly about polyhedrals
Yeah who the hell nominated me and can I make them my first probe?

(Thanks, I promise to still be boring.)

e: OK, uh polyhedrals.... Here's dice I found last year that I've had forever that I guess are a big deal?

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 8, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
They are shiny and that's important.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For the record, and just going to head off the inevitable accusations now: Dwarf74's appointment as an IK was in no way related to the completely coincidental fact that his cat looks exactly like my cat Billie Jean. Our cat similarities were not taken into consideration.
Billie Jean:

In a completely unrelated request, does anyone have a cat that is identical to any of these other of my cats? This is very important.
Bean:

Sophia:

Gentleman:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leperflesh posted:

For the record, and just going to head off the inevitable accusations now: Dwarf74's appointment as an IK was in no way related to the completely coincidental fact that his cat looks exactly like my cat Billie Jean. Our cat similarities were not taken into consideration.
Billie Jean:

In a completely unrelated request, does anyone have a cat that is identical to any of these other of my cats? This is very important.
Bean:

Sophia:

Gentleman:

i have a cat named bean does that count?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Len posted:

i have a cat named bean does that count?

hmm well it's a different correlation but I'll make a note, thank you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Leperflesh posted:

hmm well it's a different correlation but I'll make a note, thank you.

I can't post bean and not also share fuzzbutt

He's an rear end in a top hat

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My cat Octavius is identical to Leperflesh's other than being much larger, which means they are fifth-dimensionally linked but mine is closer.

Also gently caress I have a star now? What the gently caress is this poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

My cat Octavius is identical to Leperflesh's other than being much larger, which means they are fifth-dimensionally linked but mine is closer.

Also gently caress I have a star now? What the gently caress is this poo poo

CLOSER

The grey star signifies how you are now officially simultaneously A Thread Cop and therefore Bad, but also an oppressed junior-level peon forced by The Management to do all their poo poo work for free with no privileges, exactly like the proletariat. The worst of both worlds!

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

This is Smol Bean:

We took her in off the street at the end of July and she gave us six kittens in return, which have been an incredible source of both joy and stress. All the kittens have bean names, too—Adzuki Bean, Baked Bean, Carob Bean, Cool Bean, Garbanzo Bean, and Pinto Bean—but two have since been renamed by new families.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

This is Smol Bean:

We took her in off the street at the end of July and she gave us six kittens in return, which have been an incredible source of both joy and stress. All the kittens have bean names, too—Adzuki Bean, Baked Bean, Carob Bean, Cool Bean, Garbanzo Bean, and Pinto Bean—but two have since been renamed by new families.

look at that face!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

This is Smol Bean:

Our bean has a chronic cough, so we call her Coughy Bean sometimes. She also loves to be in a bag, at which times she is Bean Bag. Similarly, string...

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Congratulations dwarf74!

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

This is Smol Bean:

:swoon:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
how did I misclick so badly that I ended up in pet island

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
No pet is an island.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yawgmoth posted:

a goon posted their pet

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No pet is an island.

I'm sorry did you see my chunk of a cat?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah who the hell nominated me and can I make them my first probe?

(Thanks, I promise to still be boring.)

e: OK, uh polyhedrals.... Here's dice I found last year that I've had forever that I guess are a big deal?

I literally gave one of these to my sister to go in her copy of frozen 2 monopoly, I'm pretty sure it's worth more than the actual game.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Obviously any pet with a sufficient nexus to one of Leperflesh's pets is fair game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If I make my cats goons, are they on topic for the thread?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't have any on my phone apparently.

But someone should :justpost: a thread of their pets laying in board game boxes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Len posted:

I'm sorry did you see my chunk of a cat?

That happens when you've eaten the one kid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That happens when you've eaten the one kid.

She has not eaten a kid under my watch, but she came to us a chunk. Cannot confirm her prior life

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Len posted:

She has not eaten a kid under my watch, but she came to us a chunk. Cannot confirm her prior life

Has anyone come to you demanding the two pieces of silver?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Has anyone come to you demanding the two pieces of silver?

N...no, should they have? :ohdear:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Len posted:

N...no, should they have? :ohdear:

It's either that or the dog!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

These are all very, very good kitties and I want to nuzzle them all.

Makes me miss our cats.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Does anybody have suggestions for effectively sorting and storing RPG books?

Since all the big format books have a specific size I was thinking about possibly getting more bookcases and the like, but I also don't know if that is really the stuff I ought to be doing in this small space I'm in right now. I have a bookcase which is pretty much overflowing at this point and a tall bookshelf that is overflowing with boardgames in the living room, but I'd like to pursue some upgraded solutions like maybe switching out my current bookcase for a longer one or maybe just swapping the whole business out for like a 5x5 IKEA combo grid or something to reinforce with wood glue (somewhat awkward to build though since I'll be moving in about half a year).

I have a growing list of books that are in various systems rather than just one, but I'd like easy access to all of them while I'm ruminating on design stuff.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Also (since board suggestions seem to be semi-acknowledged in here) would it maybe be worthwhile to reboot some of these megathreads? I was looking at some of them recently and noticed that some of these threads have been created more than one presidential term ago and had their OPs last updated prior to the hellvirus. There's no question that a lot of 'em are very active but also at the same time some of the info is kinda stale.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

aldantefax posted:

Since all the big format books have a specific size I was thinking about possibly getting more bookcases and the like, but I also don't know if that is really the stuff I ought to be doing in this small space I'm in right now. I have a bookcase which is pretty much overflowing at this point and a tall bookshelf that is overflowing with boardgames in the living room, but I'd like to pursue some upgraded solutions like maybe switching out my current bookcase for a longer one or maybe just swapping the whole business out for like a 5x5 IKEA combo grid or something to reinforce with wood glue (somewhat awkward to build though since I'll be moving in about half a year).

I have a growing list of books that are in various systems rather than just one, but I'd like easy access to all of them while I'm ruminating on design stuff.

I'm guessing via context you're not amenable to building them yourself because of space reasons or something?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
huff, puff, cat pictures???

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

aldantefax posted:

I think you might want to exercise some authorial license and just go for it.

I well might. I am juggling multiple projects/responsibilities/inclination and attention span things right now, so I may back-burner this for a wee bit, but it makes good sense to have Mod Support for this sort of project.

I'm preserving several of these posts in a doc so I can come back to them, so I'll just acknowledge these posts that I'll come back to:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Leperflesh, if you're soliciting sources for a terminology stickie, I think this would be a good addition: the what I like glossary, which should be relevant to all traditional games.

aldantefax posted:

Similarly, using BoardGameGeek and RPGGeek's taxonomy is probably a good move as well for specifically mechanical components, which leverages a wider community's vocabulary in service of our own (and also if people from outside of the current SA TG zeitgeist come in, they are not wholly lost on what people are talking about when they're describing how a game doesn't have enough AGON or KINESIS and is thus shark chowder).

I don't know if the TG Wiki is still a thing but having a living curated document somewhere to help define these high level concepts would be good, and reiterating that they should only be high level.

The wiki needs some love. It hurts me to look at the main page and not see anything to tell me what's on the site or how to find it. As far as I can tell, the only way to discover pages is through the Random Page link, or just having someone give you a link to a useful page. I had no idea there was a glossary, and searching "glossary" doesn't even return it (because the page is titled Help:Glossary and is not in the content pages!) I would like to help and make it much more usable, but... doing so very highly resembles the poo poo I do at work, so I've carefully avoided volunteering for years.

I can see hyphz has been active, I'd be interesting in hearing who owns it (fuego fish and hypnobeard?), who else is active, and to what degree a random mod can come and stomp around making big changes without pissing everyone off.

hyphz posted:

The problem with all the terms is that they're based on the experience delivered by the game, and so none of them can be applied until there's a way to unpick the game's responsibility from the GM's responsibility. A GM who is determined to send you to the piss forest can ruin almost any game system, but that doesn't make the systems less valuable.

Edit: also, that glossary is cheating in a good few places. Kenosis, etc, are real things, but "ludus" isn't defined as a kind of fun, and "paida" is just a chopped off Greek stem meaning "child" which has no defined meaning as an emotion.

yeah

and, I wanna respond to megathread chat, a recurring subject I've put some thought into already:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think moving away from megathreads would be nice. Your specialized Megadungeon thread is a good example of something focused that allows for more productive discussion, in my opinion. A more focused subject matter makes moderation easier, too, I would think.

(Fax commented on megathreads too.) Yeah. There's been a thread in the mod forum and suggestions in QCS about potential upgrades to the forums, and one of the things that's been brought up - and that I've weighed in on with the admins/mods - is how we handle megathreads from a technical (rather than policy) standpoint. For example, I'd love to have some kind of filter or tab or view that would allow browsers to see or not see the megas, and also indexing/search options that are specific to thread titles (or even better, robust metadata including topical tagging). I've seen mods from other subs with a lot of megathreads ask for other stuff too. Some forums like Ask/Tell and Games are similarly flooded with megas (but that's not a bad thing), whereas GBS has moved from mostly-megas, to violently anti-mega, and swinging back to well-maybe-megas-are-cool, and I dunno what they think of them in C-SPAM but etc. etc. there's clearly sitewide interest in improvements to the UI that accounts for the different modes of long-term and short-term discussions and how they can conflict.

However, all of that stuff is way down on the priority list; the site has significant technical debt to cope with, and while we've seen some cool little features bubble out anyway because they were easy and fast to implement, something more significant like what I'd like to see will not happen soon.

So, we need to instead find coping mechanisms and strategies for whatever problems we may have with megathreads in Trad Games, in advance of any possible technical site update, and that's also presuming that we all agree on what exactly the "problems" might be with megathreads (and we absolutely do not all agree, that much has been very solidly shown all over SA and also sometimes in TG for a long time).

For TG, I've already introduced informally one solution to the attention and navigation obstacle, which is to announce/highlight/talk about new threads here, when they're posted. I think graduating that to a sticky is something I'd like to do, if I can establish that I'm willing to habitually update that sticky on a good quick schedule. The idea here is that if people don't have to click through three to five pages of megathreads scanning for something that turns out to be a new thread that might be of interest, then maybe those new threads will attract more eyeballs and posters, and that in turn will tend to keep them closer to the front page, which is a positive feedback loop. Secondarily, encouraging everyone in TG to step out of their bookmarks and see what's new is a goal; and encouraging more new threads is an "if you build it, they will come" approach, because more content = more attraction.

However, none of this is stuff any of us can force, and we have to also accept that total traffic on SA, and also traffic in TG, is way way down from its peak many years ago. Until SA is attracting hundreds of new accounts monthly we are not likely to see a major change in how the goons use TG, and that may simply mean that most new threads don't attract much attention and will tend to die out in a matter of a few days or if the OP is persistent, perhaps a few weeks.

Which is ok. It might not be the outcome everyone hopes for, but it is totally OK to have short-lived threads that wound up being two or five people chatting with each other, too. So, to return to the point: the "megathread problem" is, in my view, more of a project than a crisis, and something we can experiment with to see if we can get some positive results, but not something we should ever feel like we've "failed" regardless of what does or doesn't work.

I have additional reasons for not moving quickly on this that I won't discuss yet. But I did want you guys to know that I really appreciate your ideas, I'm making note of them, and you're not wasting your time making them.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm guessing via context you're not amenable to building them yourself because of space reasons or something?

DIY, correct; I live in an apartment and I am attempting to refit my office until I move

Leperflesh posted:

the "megathread problem"

I don't know that I consider megathreads a problem any more than organizing my bookshelves is. I do think that there are some things that can be done despite the inertia of "but TG has always been like this, and there aren't enough people coming to this part of the forum to affect change", but I think those are well documented at this point and whatever else is going on may eventually sort itself out or not and I'll go back under a rock for another few years.

Anyway, I have only very recently started paying a modicum of attention to the chat thread, and I don't know there is any kind of expectation set (yet) that people ought to scrumble through this thread's stream of consciousness to see what the latest hubbub is. A "thread sandcastle" like Let's Play has might also be worthwhile for if someone wants to spar out an idea rather than adopting a :justpost: methodology.

Something that might also be cool is just posting something like, "Here's threads you might have missed this past month. Take a look!" I think this was done in the prior chat thread once or twice, but might warrant its own sticky as well for whichever people want to take on that whole thing.

On the wiki front, there seems to be some kind of request for account activation, so I applied for an account there and I guess if/when that is approved, some such things can be added there which may be of use.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Thread idea: designing and creating character sheets for TG forums-goers, entertaining and informative (but only with what people are willing to share in their good nature).

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

aldantefax posted:

Thread idea: designing and creating character sheets for TG forums-goers, entertaining and informative (but only with what people are willing to share in their good nature).

Hell yeah, we really need to return to the early 00's where every community made fake magic cards of members and injokes(they weren't called memes yet).

Edit: like this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

aldantefax posted:

Probably obvious but top level sorting should be alphabetically by game system, then by edition within systems, then within each edition go from general to specific. Core rulebooks first, supplements after; the less broadly applicable a book is to the system, the further to the end it goes. Books that continue earlier books go with those ("Monster Manual 2"). I'd also separate third party stuff within sections. If you've got a lot of published adventures set them up in their own subsection. Sortings that make sense include by PC level they're written for, by the area they're set in - that kinda depends on how you personally use them.