Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

boz posted:

After 3 nights of watching I finally finished that Tokimeki Memorial review and holy poo poo.....

It was worth it.

the pivot into discussing idealization, cultural norms, constructed masculinity, misogyny, objectification etc was pretty great.

the whole bit about how the devs made the shiori ending pretty much impossible to do naturally, the purpose of that from a design/narrative/psychology standpoint, and what it says about people who meticulously deconstructed and manipulated the experience so that she would love them is a pretty good symbolic companion to the cultural filth of the pick up artist scene. i dunno the dude really did his homework imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the pivot into discussing idealization, cultural norms, constructed masculinity, misogyny, objectification etc was pretty great.

the whole bit about how the devs made the shiori ending pretty much impossible to do naturally, the purpose of that from a design/narrative/psychology standpoint, and what it says about people who meticulously deconstructed and manipulated the experience so that she would love them is a pretty good symbolic companion to the cultural filth of the pick up artist scene. i dunno the dude really did his homework imo

I like the random life experiences he peppers into everything and drat I want to read one of these stories he's written.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

If you’re a Tim head you may be interested in his super old write ups. The first thing I saw of his was this write up of Mother 2 that was linked on ycs ages ago lol

https://web.archive.org/web/20131022032055/http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=mother2

Dunno how to hyperlink I’m sorry

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Xbox thread is bad mainly because there’s absolutely no games on it to talk about whatsoever.

I post on both threads. And many other places.

I has been told by many people that Microsoft is going to copy the Sony strategy to have good singleplayer games. I hope so, but is not something easy to recreate. Sony did a excellent job nurturing this ecosystem of studios creating quality with creativity and taking some risks.

I use to think that exclusives are a bad thing, but if they create some sort of competition to make the better games, is going to be a good thing. So more competition from Microsoft would only result on even better Sony games. Hopefully.

A problem we have is that videogames have become so huge, they may not fit inside a generation. If a game need 5 years to develop, they may release after the generation ends. Quality has in size is a horrible thing, I hope we disable that idea. I want more short-ish games (about 20 to 30 hours long) that give me a great and lasting experience.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best games are the ones you beat in about 12 hours but run through at a higher difficulty skipping all cutscenes and eventually you can just ace the whole thing in 3 hours.

Bayonetta I'm looking at you

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Achmed Jones posted:

What? Switch thread is fine

lol its not. then again, sometimes it good but most times its not. its mostly just two posters tbf.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tei posted:

A problem we have is that videogames have become so huge, they may not fit inside a generation.

I bought Ms. Pac-Man for 4 bucks today and it was 800 MB so you're telling me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm not sure if AAA games taking 5 years to develop is necessarily a bad thing as theres definitely not a lack of games coming out. Theres more developers and a lot more people working on games these days so it's okay if theres only one final fantasy title per generation instead of three. Just means theres more time to play other things

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fridge corn prefers his games like his oatmeal - bland, unsalted and cooked for too long

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i like my games like my tim rodgers videos: six hours long and extremely bad

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I prefer my oatmeal a bit on the runny side

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol its not. then again, sometimes it good but most times its not. its mostly just two posters tbf.

do not subtweet me like this

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

i like my games like my tim rodgers videos: six hours long and extremely bad

A video thats Six hours long and extremely bad? Buddy you’re watching Inland Empire directed by David Lynch

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

The Xbox thread is bad mainly because there’s absolutely no games on it to talk about whatsoever. Its topic of discussion for the last three days has been about batteries. I actually just unbookmarked it because I can’t think of a single game coming out that I’d want to play on Xbox. Switch thread is sour and dour at times but generally fine. At least there’s plenty of games on it to talk about.

Microsoft's "problem" is that they're not as precious about exclusives and happy to release stuff on Steam in a generally timely manner.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
im gonna get a series x just to play the new perfect dark, that obsidian elder scrolls game and old perfect darks and rare replay and im still never gonna post in the xbox thread.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Microsoft's "problem" is that they're not as precious about exclusives and happy to release stuff on Steam in a generally timely manner.

what have they released on steam other than halo. arent most of their games just on their own store. also didnt it take like 25 years for halo to come out on steam

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

rabidsquid posted:

what have they released on steam other than halo. arent most of their games just on their own store. also didnt it take like 25 years for halo to come out on steam

18 years actually

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bows1 posted:

Demons Souls seems way harder that any Dark Souls

But it’s real fun. gently caress the little floor traps in Tower of Latria

I would say its the easiest Souls game just because how easy/gimmicky most of the bosses are but imo it has the best/creative level design, one of the best atmosphere along with Bloodborne and the music is great as well. Also it was my first Souls game so it's not like I had a ton of experience in the genre. The tendency can make the game hard in spots but in general it's quite easy, I guess I would say it doesn't feel cheap like some other Souls games. The enemy's animation tracking isn't as crazy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

gonna do a take.

i dont get monster hunter.

i tried world out on ps5 and just hosed around with the demo of Rise on switch and i dont get it, you're just hunting and killing and skinning innocent animals with badly designed weapons? feels like someone took the hunt quests from ff12 and made a game out of it but kept in all the insanely long and bad fights, added a flimsy story and a bunch of annoying cats, the worst pets, to the mix. but at least theres a dog type in rise, the best pets.

anywho... back to bloodborne i go.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
The demos don't do a great job of highlighting the best parts, which are the gradual evolution of skill and comraderie and also wearing a T-Rex's head as a hat.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I was with you vikar until you dissed cats

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I had a 360 in college and i loved that console, i played it forever and ever until I got a PS3 and a gaming PC.

Scalebound getting cancelled was the last time I literally even thought of X-box being in my future. Like.. I own a gaming PC, I will likely always own a gaming PC. There is simply no reason for me to ever own an X Box again unless they dramatically alter their own business model.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

fridge corn posted:

I was with you vikar until you dissed cats
eh, it's possible vikar hates cattes the way someone who loves cats hates cats so GET OFF THE TV STAND YOU HORRIBLE GREMLIN I'm willing to let that part go

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Vikar Jerome posted:

gonna do a take.

i dont get monster hunter.

i tried world out on ps5 and just hosed around with the demo of Rise on switch and i dont get it, you're just hunting and killing and skinning innocent animals with badly designed weapons? feels like someone took the hunt quests from ff12 and made a game out of it but kept in all the insanely long and bad fights, added a flimsy story and a bunch of annoying cats, the worst pets, to the mix. but at least theres a dog type in rise, the best pets.

anywho... back to bloodborne i go.

Its not a souls game. I couldn't play World for the longest time because I kept trying to play it as a souls game. You can try some different weapons but the game is built around grinding challenging monsters with wildly strange hit boxes. It just not as tight as souls games, especially around dodging and iframes. Im not gonna say you're wrong or change your mind. Its just not for you.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What I'm hearing here is i never got to the good bits of FF12 because i was bored senseless after 10 minutes!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Casnorf posted:

eh, it's possible vikar hates cattes the way someone who loves cats hates cats so GET OFF THE TV STAND YOU HORRIBLE GREMLIN I'm willing to let that part go

Lol this is so true, one of my cats when hes finished eating will go and sit right in front of the tv every single loving time. Get out of the way ffs!!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

the horrible gremlin is an adorable squeaky bundle of raw unfocused energy and I love her dearly and also want to punt her across the room basically at the same time ask me about fixing up a ps4pro last night and all she wanted to do was sit on the warm disassembled bit of tech

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What I'm hearing here is i never got to the good bits of FF12 because i was bored senseless after 10 minutes!

theres a whole side quest line around hunting down monsters across the world, it good and works well because its not the main point but then it gets insane where the final hunt is a monster that has so much health bars that it takes and expects you (because it lets you leave the fight and save) to take, 8 real time hours to beat with a specific set of gambits set up. (and yes i did this while an ex-gf watched me and i think thats half the reason that ended)

also cats can gently caress off, they are the worst pets, i dont hate them, i used to have to look after my brothers ex-gf's cat and that cat was kinda cool but i just think they are dumb and dogs own way more. :colbert:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

dogs are so loyal they will eat they own poo

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My littlest cat likes to bring her food out of her bowl a piece at a time, walk into the hall and crunch it with her mouth open so I have to hoover over and over.

They are menaces.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Casnorf posted:

dogs are so loyal they will eat they own poo

sounds like this thread and games from Sony :grin:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

if a cat likes you it will treat you like a big stupid cat which from their perspective you are

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I own a dog and a cat and a snake and they are all great pets with funny personalities and I love napping with them and scratching their tummies and butts.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

VideoGames posted:

My littlest cat likes to bring her food out of her bowl a piece at a time, walk into the hall and crunch it with her mouth open so I have to hoover over and over.

They are menaces.

This is amazing, haha. My old one who is grumpy and The Best will scoop a kibble with one paw and eat it from there. We think he thinks he's people. He also likes to mash his face on mine while I sleep, which used to annoy me until I realized he only does it when I haven't moved in a while and he's checking to make sure I'm breathing. He takes good care of us.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've had a cat for 3 weeks and I've never been a pet owner before.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I would love a dog but I overthink being able to juggle it round me and the wifes work.

Pisses me off hearing about the rise in calls to animal shelters

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

GreenNight posted:

I've had a cat for 3 weeks and I've never been a pet owner before.

A pet is a friend, not an accessory. Treat them as you would anyone you're willing to love and things will go great. Sometimes frustrating, sometimes rewarding, but wonderful for themselves.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

She's fine. She eats her food, she poops in her box, and she doesnt tear up my furniture. And she yells at me for pets. All good.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Casnorf posted:

This is amazing, haha. My old one who is grumpy and The Best will scoop a kibble with one paw and eat it from there. We think he thinks he's people. He also likes to mash his face on mine while I sleep, which used to annoy me until I realized he only does it when I haven't moved in a while and he's checking to make sure I'm breathing. He takes good care of us.

:D I have three and they all have some really weird tendencies.

Littlest is constantly furious with every single life form in the house (except she likes to follow me around no matter where I go) and she does not like the other two and will battle with them. She talks to herself in chirrups and to me if I chat to her. Her fur pattern also gives her a very angry looking face. She is my secret favourite.

The middle one, a boy, will howl at me for food at the top of the stairs, but when I try to go down them will attempt to claw and eat my feet. If I stop to tell him no, then he starts howling more. I started wearing slippers so now he tries to claw my achilles tendons.

The eldest, a bright white girlie who constantly sheds everywhere, is deaf and makes squacking noises when she wants attention and likes to headbutt items to show she is happy. She gets very mad if I come home and do not sit down for her to sit and pad on me for a few minutes and will keep squacking until I do.

I love them dearly even though they all deliberately try to undo me :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Just general advice, not you in particular. The hard part comes later. Pet the crap outta that catte