Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Verviticus posted:

why's everyone so mean to garak :(

So he knows that when people are being nice to him they want something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
watched the season 5 tng episode 'the outcast' last night

loving what?

its crazy how far media has come in depicting LGBT stuff since then. at first its kind of cute and silly, but then.... the lgbt stand-in alien is forced to get space conversion therapy and picard is like its their culture and then they get it and thats it????

i know depiction isnt endorsement, and i guess its nice that they tried, but drat

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kinda lost the subtext there. It's pretty clear that Picard expected Riker to go after them, but couldn't do it through official channels. He could have confined Riker to quarters or locked down the transporters, but he didn't. He was visibly saddened when Riker said their business was done there.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
that's fair, but i feel like in some of the recent episodes before this one, he's had a couple moments like this where he is a lot more explicit in telling the crew to gently caress the rules

my man brings up the prime directive as if he doesnt gently caress with pre warp civilizations every other week

maybe my gay rear end biased me a little

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

You know I was struck by a thought today: they literally built a TOS set for Enterprise for In a Mirror, Darkly, right? If they were going to do another time period for the series finale, they should have pulled S2 Discovery and visit Pike's Enterprise, since that'd be basically 100 years exactly after the show, with T'Pol serving as the bridging character.

Now I'm mad this didn't happen.

Well... it still can! At least as far as T'Pol showing up Pike's ship. :dance:

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, I thought they used either the Ticonderoga sets or the ST Continues ones.

IIRC they borrowed Spock's viewer or some such piece of bridge propage from Cawley.

Speaking of, I was checking out the Ticonderoga Trek site the other day and spotted this on their Facebook from a month ago:

quote:

Hello friends and fans! In reviewing episodes in preparation for remaking the Star Trek The Next Generation sets, James Cawley noticed in the Season 1 episode "The Battle" there appears among Captain Picard's personal effects from the Stargazer, the original costume worn by David Frankham as Larry Marvick in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?", obviously placed there by TOS and TNG costume designer William Ware Theiss, who had owned the costume since the original series shut down production in 1969. It was even more exciting to discover this since James now owns the same costume which is on exhibit at Star Trek Original Series Set Tour. Last year we were honored by a visit from Mr Frankham who put on the costume for some photos for our Trekonderoga Weekend event.

So it seems their TNG plans are still a go! Nice to know they are holding it together during the pandemic.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BB2K posted:

loving what?

its crazy how far media has come in depicting LGBT stuff since then. at first its kind of cute and silly, but then.... the lgbt stand-in alien is forced to get space conversion therapy and picard is like its their culture and then they get it and thats it????

i know depiction isnt endorsement, and i guess its nice that they tried, but drat

One of the things I really liked about The Orville is how it wasn't afraid to really explore an issue like this and show the ongoing ramifications.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One of the big misses from the Greatest Gen guys was hating the episodes about Moclan gender issues

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C70OT_v-yIE

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CPColin posted:

One of the big misses from the Greatest Gen guys was hating the episodes about Moclan gender issues
When did they cover Orville?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FlamingLiberal posted:

When did they cover Orville?

They didn't, specifically, but they mentioned it as an aside during whatever TNG or DS9 podcast episode came out around that time. (Or maybe it was the first episode of Greatest Discovery?)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Finally finished season 2! Really enjoyed it overall, it's a shame the last episode was a clip show but that was due to a writer's strike or something wasn't it?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Boxturret posted:

Finally finished season 2! Really enjoyed it overall, it's a shame the last episode was a clip show but that was due to a writer's strike or something wasn't it?

Yeah, the writer's strike resulted in a lot of changes to the season. In addition to the last episode being a clip show, it only had 22 episodes instead of the 26 that were ordered, and the season premiere was an adapted script originally written for Star Trek Phase II, the aborted 70's sequel to the original series.

Also, back then, I think it wasn't a universal expectation for season finales to be particularly monumental, and clip shows weren't quite as hated in the days before home video was ubiquitous.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

lmao I think this one caught me off-guard the most

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

BB2K posted:

loving what?

Yeah there are many ways The Outcast could have been done better.

Also the way gender is treated in the episode where Data creates Lal has aged poorly. IIRC there’s a scene where Data, Lal and Troi are walking down a corridor and Lal says “I am gender... neuter... inadequate” and Troi is like yup that’s right, you must choose a gender and your only choices are male or female. Yikes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I see discovery quadrupled down on the whole "the ships are just empty space for turbolifts" stupidity of JJTrek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/MacetGul/status/1347716157856505856?s=20

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sir Lemming posted:

TFW you go back to work in Washington DC on January 7, 2021

IIRC on DS9 the fascist and terrorist were on opposing sides.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Noice

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Boxturret posted:

Season 2 got hit by a writer's strike, but Shades of Grey was more due to lack of money - Elementary Dear Data and Q-Who both went over-budget, so they were out of money by the end of the season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The writers' strike ended in August 1988. It had literally zero impact on Shades of Grey.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shofixti posted:

Yeah there are many ways The Outcast could have been done better.

Also the way gender is treated in the episode where Data creates Lal has aged poorly. IIRC there’s a scene where Data, Lal and Troi are walking down a corridor and Lal says “I am gender... neuter... inadequate” and Troi is like yup that’s right, you must choose a gender and your only choices are male or female. Yikes.

On the other hand they allow Lal to determine her own gender identity and celebrate the outcome so its still probably the best episode the show ever did on the subject

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

multijoe posted:

On the other hand they allow Lal to determine her own gender identity and celebrate the outcome so its still probably the best episode the show ever did on the subject

Yeah that's a good point. It's definitely very progressive by 90s TV standards and it should be watched with that context in mind.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
About a year ago a trans goon reviewed that episode for their excellently named podcast:
https://youtu.be/yKwQYiX172k

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rewatched the first season of Voyager over the last month or so, so I will quickly post some thoughts-

Season Overview- I think it was not as bad as I remembered for the most part. I think the biggest drawback is that almost all of the episodes take place entirely on the ship. A couple of episodes are shot on location but they are the minority. It's weird how long it takes to actually set up enemies like the Kazon. They appear in the pilot but don't show up again until episode 11 where they begin the Seska arc. There are two Vidiian episodes but they are not treated the same way.

Caretaker- This is actually a decent pilot. It's not as good as Emissary, but it's better than Encounter at Farpoint or Broken Bow. The problem going forward is that the Maquis stuff very quickly goes out the window outside of a couple of episodes and you never feel much conflict. That's not really the fault of the episode here, more so the long-term planning of the showrunners (or lack of).

Parallax- Actually a decent episode, with the A plot being the spacial anomaly, and the B plot where Janeway is trying to decide who ends up as Chief Engineer. Again, the problem is that the show just kind of ignores the Starfleet/Maquis conflict after this, and really this is one of the few episodes where it's that noticeable.

Time and Again- This is one of those time travel episodes that TNG did better. It's not bad, but nothing special. Not too memorable overall.

Phage- The introduction of the Vidiians, and also the episode where Neelix gets his lungs stolen. I think it's a quality episode, but I never felt like the show used the Vidiians enough. They are far more interesting than the Kazon, who get more prominence in the series. The idea of a species that is preying on others because they are just trying to survive is a good concept and I felt like they made good use of it here.

The Cloud- I had no memory of this episode. It's pretty dull for the most part, but there is a sideplot involving Chakotay trying to help Janeway find her 'animal guide' which comes off very cringey now. Especially now that we know the person who was the 'Native American advisor' for the show was a fraud.

Eye of the Needle- This episode would be better if the Romulan scientist had shown up earlier on. There is a lot of setup before they actually make contact with him. The story as a whole is good but the first half drags.

Ex Post Facto- It's pretty much that episode of TNG where Riker gets accused of murdering that scientist because he was having an affair with the guy's wife. Except not as good.

Emanations- Harry Kim gets transported to some other dimension to an alien planet and they believe he came from their afterlife. We don't spend nearly enough time with the aliens to learn more about them, so this is just kind of a meh episode.

Prime Factors- Voyager encounters the Space Hedonists who have some kind of space-folding tech that they won't share. The aliens aren't very interesting but I at least liked the conflict among the crew when the aliens refuse to share their tech and how some of them want to get home over the ethical objections of the others. I was surprised to find out that the aliens were initially planned as a recurring antagonist like the Kazon/Vidiians, but their whole concept didn't work out so that got scrapped. Probably for the best because they are pretty one-note.

State of Flux- This starts the Kazon arc that lasts into Season 3. It's actually a decent episode, although it's blatantly obvious early on that Seska is the traitor and that kind of ruins it a bit if you haven't seen it before.

Heroes and Demons- I don't really care for this episode outside of the Doctor stuff. It's the first real Doctor-centric episode and it's good for that, but the overall plot and the holodeck stuff is just kind of bland for me.

Cathexis- This feels like another episode that is derivative of a TNG plot. It's not a bad episode but it's kind of forgettable.

Faces- Another Vidiian episode. I enjoyed it, even if the idea of the Vidiians essentially making two B'Elanna Torreses is very bizarre. The Vidiians don't come off nearly as sympathetic here as in Phage though. The main Vidiian guy is basically some kind of crazed scientist in contrast to what we see of them in Phage. I do feel like the ending where the Klingon B'Elanna dies and nobody seems very concerned afterwards is kind of odd. The entire plot resolves itself very fast.

Jetrel- Neelix basically meets the Werner Von Braun of his people's enemies. There's actually some good Neelix stuff in this episode but I don't think it comes up that much again? It's always nice to see longtime Trek guest actor James Sloyan again. He always seems to be playing some kind of tortured character.

Learning Curve- The show remembers that the Maquis are a thing. I don't feel like it earns it's ending, but whatever. The main Maquis guy is an enormous prick and I felt like Chakotay needed to punch him hard more than just the one time. It's very funny to see how dysfunctional the Maquis are, and it makes it more believable when they get wiped out by the Jem'Hadar later on (on DS9). This is also a weird episode to end the season on.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
IIRC, it wasn't meant to be the season finale - "The 37s" was filmed as part of the first season and meant to be the finale, but held back until season 2. I don't know why, but presumably it has something to do with UPN being a trashfire of a network.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
They wanted to do a cliffhanger with the amazing buildings, but couldn’t figure out how to make it work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Haha, "You have to check out our amazing cities"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

IIRC, it wasn't meant to be the season finale - "The 37s" was filmed as part of the first season and meant to be the finale, but held back until season 2. I don't know why, but presumably it has something to do with UPN being a trashfire of a network.
Yeah I was just reading that. It would have made a lot more sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Haha, "You have to check out our amazing cities"
I literally went 'what the hell' when they never show them and are just like 'oh that was cool'

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Angry Salami posted:

Yep, I forget the reason, but UPN shoved the last four episodes of the 20 episode first season into season two, and then shoved four episodes of season two into season three. Technically season three only has 22 episodes for this reason.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I hated parallax so much when it aired. They spent months hyping how different voyager could be since it was set in the delta quadrant and the second drat episode was an anomaly of the week. I also thought it was painfully obvious that the ship was a reflection of voyager even with whatever crappy little TV I had at the time. Really set the tone for the whole series for me.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

cenotaph posted:

I hated parallax so much when it aired. They spent months hyping how different voyager could be since it was set in the delta quadrant and the second drat episode was an anomaly of the week. I also thought it was painfully obvious that the ship was a reflection of voyager even with whatever crappy little TV I had at the time. Really set the tone for the whole series for me.

This was my experience but with "Time and Again." Like, they dragged the ship all the way to the distant, foreboding ~Delta Quadrant~... so they could just unceremoniously blend right in on a planet just like Earth with more aliens that speak English and look just like humans with no makeup?

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 10, 2021

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This was my experience but with "Time and Again." Like, they dragged the ship all the way to the distant, foreboding ~Delta Quadrant~... so they could just unceremoniously blend right in on a planet just like Earth with more aliens that speak English and look just like humans with no makeup?

Glad I'm not alone even if it's a different season one ep. I'm eternally grateful to Voyager for teaching me at a relatively young age that I didn't have to like something just because it was in a franchise I had an attachment to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I felt like they spent their entire season's makeup budget on the Vidiians

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is that why they had to cut up sponges from the breakroom kitchen to stick into kazon hair?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

cenotaph posted:

Glad I'm not alone even if it's a different season one ep. I'm eternally grateful to Voyager for teaching me at a relatively young age that I didn't have to like something just because it was in a franchise I had an attachment to.

Yes, a lesson well remembered to this very day.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
So lately I remembered how Jeffrey Combs is the best actor to ever exist and I decided to finally try catching him in Enterprise, which I've only seen occasional eps of before. I don't really want to watch all of it, just the bits with him in it. Is Archer always like this? Is he kind of dumb? I'm vastly entertained but I'm not sure what they're trying for and I can see a full watch-through looming in my future just to figure this out.

Also goddamn that loving theme song really is appalling.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Archer is a prime example of a failson who gets authority despite his obvious inadequacies through pure nepotism. He's an arrogant, incurious, pig-headed rear end in a top hat. He's basically George W Bush, starship captain.

God knows what he'd be like if ENT had been made circa 2017.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Payndz posted:

Archer is a prime example of a failson who gets authority despite his obvious inadequacies through pure nepotism. He's an arrogant, incurious, pig-headed rear end in a top hat. He's basically George W Bush, starship captain.

God knows what he'd be like if ENT had been made circa 2017.

Man, I adore Scott Bakula so it's going to be interesting watching him in this.

Also I notice when Andorians are cross their antenna lay flat back like cat ears and it's adorable. For some reason I had the idea Andorians were big burly guys but I don't think that was ever true, I think I just extrapolated that from knowing they're kind of aggressive. Shran so far seems to have roughly the temperament of a Jack Russell Terrier and I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

HopperUK posted:

Man, I adore Scott Bakula so it's going to be interesting watching him in this.
That's why I originally had to stop watching Enterprise. The Archer role is poorly written (or adequately written as an unlikable character propped up as the "hero protagonist"?), and Bakula was really ill-suited for the role in any case.

Watching him flounder every week after loving him in Quantum Leap made me want to watch literally anything else.