Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Running: Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2nd, and Cortex Prime emulating Marvel Heroic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

mellonbread posted:

Running: Delta Green, my own OSR homebrew system
Playing: Rogue Trader, CP2020, Esoteric Enterprises

Five games at once, I wish I had that kind of time freedom (and that many people to play with). What's the homebrew based off of?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm actually curious. How many of us are in ongoing (or imminent) games & what are they?
Personally in delay limbo for a switch from Eclipse Phase to CPRED, plus an Over the Edge game that's starting soon.

Monday: LANCER RPG on TTSim (now at LL5)
Tuesday, alternating: D&D 5e on Roll20, Hack the Planet on TTSim
Wednesday: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy on Roll20
Thursday: D&D 5e on Roll20
Friday: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy (in planning)
Saturday, alternating: Feng Shui 2, D&D 5e (as a player!)
Saturday: D&D 5e - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbzWjFUUX24
Sunday: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy on TTSim

Sadly this entire week has been shot since dental work took a lot out of me, but when things are back up and running should be back to the normal tricks again. I'm planning to cede on the Tuesday D&D game end of February since it was meant to be a temporary thing but I ended up running that group since last August when the other DM burned out hard. We also had major turnover and 2-3 people leaving the Saturday D&D game but MustacheRide has valiantly stepped up and so on.

I did just pick up Runequest 4e so I'll give it a shake, but I still also want to run Sword World. I did some in-depth planning while in outer space last year so I have a full storyline for Feng Shui and LANCER scoped out, and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is the game that I run which I also document its experiments in the Megadungeon thread.

I might consider slimming some games down or rotating DM responsibilities out since I've been doing these games for almost a full year in lockdown.

I was thinking about attempting some PBP but I really can't swing it that much. Same thing with by-chat games.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm actually curious. How many of us are in ongoing (or imminent) games & what are they?
Personally in delay limbo for a switch from Eclipse Phase to CPRED, plus an Over the Edge game that's starting soon.

Playing - MOTW finished last week, have a session of Nice Marines in 5 hours, and BITD

Running - Promethean, sort of Lancer but it's effectively dead.

Two sessions is about the most I can get in per week - I have the energy I think for more but scheduling just turns into such a nightmare.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Just finished doing the Madness at Gardmore Abbey module a few hours ago in 4e. I think it was the first time any of us had seen The Deck of Many Things get drawn from.

I'm in a weekly FKR game that just started, and DM a Pendragon campaign every other week.

Think I'm going to take a break from Pendragon soon though as the manor rules are getting old. Maybe run Black Crusade instead.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm in an ongoing D&D 4e game that's usually fortnightly but has been a bit scattershot since November (holidays etc). Don't really have the energy for anything else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Running: Myth: The Western Federation (A really weird rewrite of Dark Heresy as a tactical RPG, military sci-fantasy RPG) and Sacred and Profane (A homebrew Double Cross setting, think Shin Megami Tensei but more urban fantasy than apocalyptic)
Between games I'm playing in at the moment.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

SkyeAuroline posted:

Five games at once, I wish I had that kind of time freedom (and that many people to play with). What's the homebrew based off of?
I use the spell list and monster manual from the Old School Essentials SRD, but the system itself isn't directly based on anything. There are pieces taken from various blogs, but I wanted a game that catered to my exact preferences, meaning
  • No separate ability scores and ability score modifiers
  • No huge tables of saving throws
  • No differential XP advancement
  • No prime requisites
  • Only one die for everything (no D6 for surprise, D100 for thief abilities, etc)
  • No redundant ability scores (combine STR and CON, combine WIS and INT)
After a certain point it was easier just to make my own heartbreaker, rather than write a huge list of hacks to an existing game (and therefore force the players to read both the base game AND a book of houserules).

The latest version is here.

There are some balance problems. SKILL is much more popular than the other ability scores, because it providing immediately useful and fun benefits that always apply. I'm trying to buff the other abilities, rather than nerf something everyone enjoys.

Alignment XP is kind of busted at the moment, but I haven't changed it too much because I like the way it affects player behavior. Lawful characters are sanctimonious assholes obsessed with converting people to their alignment, Neutral characters are psychopaths who only care about money, and Chaotic characters are unpredictable hotheads who lash out and start fights. And somehow it works, without the players stomping on each others' toes or getting pissed off out-of-character. Though that might be down to having a group that already plays well together, rather than a strength of the system. Definitely going to need further playtesting. The XP advancement rates in general are in need of tuning, which might be a better fix than fiddling with the alignment rules.

I'm trying not to change too much between playtests, partially so that I can observe the effects of each revision in relative isolation. I wrote up (some of) the games here.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've got a Scion game on Fridays, I'm GMing a Masks game on Wednesdays, and I'm in an handful of Fellowship PBP games.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

SkyeAuroline posted:

I’m in several PbP games - mostly Fellowship but also Blades in the Dark. On Sunday I’m in a live Copperhead County game. I was running a Discord game of Dogs in the Vineyard, where we would meet up and have written sessions but the players weren’t happy with how harsh the game could be and we’re going to try out Remember Tomorrow. Unfortunately my computer is busted so we’ll have to wait until I set up a new one.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Apparently, I have written over 25 thousand words in the megadungeon thread, and I have put another post in there about West Marches. I think it would be neat to have a West Marches thread, so maybe I will make one tomorrow, or just keep piling on more insane words to the current thread.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The subject of megathreads has passed, but... I kinda like megathreads? It's nice that all discussion of a certain subject gravitates towards the same place, so you can be sure not to miss out on stuff from subjects you care about.

I do agree that it runs the problem of new threads getting lost, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

I run Schrödinger's 13th Age game. It might still be on and it might not.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Running: Scum and Villainy
Playing: Cthulu pulp - Twin Serpents.

Intending to start a solo campaign of one of the various things I'm unlikely to get to the table.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Running: Nights Black Agents. Though if I am honest I am bad at it and could really use some help.
Playing: WFRP 4e and, occasionally, Masks.

I did try running a 5e game for some of my "at home" friends but it was 8 people playing at that was way too much for me. Especially as I realised that most of the people either weren't that interested or were more there to see friends.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Running: Lancer and Wicked Ones.
Playing: Nothing ATM, there is a Masks game on hiatus and that's about it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm a player in a friend's homebrew system, but scheduling has been real hit or miss because everyone involved is a working adult with kids and poo poo. Averaging maybe two sessions a season.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

The Deleter posted:

Running: Lancer and Wicked Ones.
Playing: Nothing ATM, there is a Masks game on hiatus and that's about it.

What so you think of Wicked Ones? I picked it up but haven't gotten much of a chance to read through it yet.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jimmeeee posted:

What so you think of Wicked Ones? I picked it up but haven't gotten much of a chance to read through it yet.

I'm gonna run the first real session tomorrow, but I do have some very basic preliminary thoughts.

There's fewer stats and you get more dots to start with. This means you're always gonna be good at the thing your playbook is meant to be good at if you put them in the stat your character uses most. I think this isn't as scrappy as Blades is and a GM is going to have to ensure that the surrounding world pushes back hard, which is in theme since the players are meant to be actual monsters and Evil (although the game does take the time to go "hey maybe don't be too evil" and supply the usual tools eg Lines and Veils, X-Card etc).

The gameplay loop is a bit more detailed than Blades, with a more explicit three part Raid - Count Loot - Downtime loop with occasional interruptions and blowback from your actions. We'll be getting into the loop next session.

The hideout stuff has been blown up into a much more detailed dungeon system with five different dungeon types. There's a subsystem for ensuring your minions don't rebel and everything goes smoothly by following Dungeon Logic, which makes sure your dungeon behaves like how a dungeon in an rpg would work - you have to put weaker minions before stronger ones, you can't be mucking about doing work your underlings should be doing, and it's got to be expanding and have a good spooky atmosphere. It's fun to draw out the dungeon, even for people who don't normally draw. The adventurers that stumble in will follow an arbitrary path through the dungeon so the actual layout can matter a fair bit. We'll figure out how much it matters as we play.

The art is nice. It's kind of just chunky and sharp, like a diet version of Hellboy.

I should put this in - torture is mentioned and a torture chamber is one of the rooms available to all dungeons. Torture is prevalent in Dungeon Keeper and games like it, and so obviously it's ported over, but I have a pretty big distate for it no matter how "goofy" it's depicted as. In our group we've decided to just not depict it in any detail if we have to, but it's worth discussing in your group if you want to have this at all and what to do instead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm in a Torg Eternity game every other Saturday and running a Blades in the Dark game every Sunday.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
playing in a Double Cross game, gearing up to do some small game one-shots when the world/my mental health stops being on fire constantly

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
At this moment, just playing Pathfinder 2e.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DND 4E campaign, next session starting in one hour. Not much other than that and some Tormenta one-shots in a discord "guild" I'm in.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm playing in a VtM game that just started up and running MotW. I'm thinking about closing out the MotW campaign soonish and trying something else, maybe a mecha campaign (I like BCG and am simultaneously excited about and intimidated by running Lancer, but I'm also looking at some other games.)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

King of Solomon posted:

I'm playing in a VtM game that just started up and running MotW. I'm thinking about closing out the MotW campaign soonish and trying something else, maybe a mecha campaign (I like BCG and am simultaneously excited about and intimidated by running Lancer, but I'm also looking at some other games.)

My Lancer game died because, as cool as a setting as it is, and as much as I like the rules in principle, me and my group were not really into solving tactical puzzles as a part of roleplay, so I wound up having fun massively at everyone else's expense until we just started another campaign. If you prefer the style of decision making that goes into VTM or MOTW I'd suggest something more like Beam Saber (note - I have not personally played Beam Saber, but it is forged in the dark so rather than basically a very polished 4e).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tulip posted:

My Lancer game died because, as cool as a setting as it is, and as much as I like the rules in principle, me and my group were not really into solving tactical puzzles as a part of roleplay, so I wound up having fun massively at everyone else's expense until we just started another campaign. If you prefer the style of decision making that goes into VTM or MOTW I'd suggest something more like Beam Saber (note - I have not personally played Beam Saber, but it is forged in the dark so rather than basically a very polished 4e).

Beam Saber is actually one of the games I was looking at. I just need to get to the FatT episodes where they play it. Before AGDQ I got about halfway into their session 0.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My view on Beam Saber was really, really soured by the early versions (that barely if at all worked as a game) - hopefully by now it's been made more usable.
I get the issues with Lancer, though. It's a game I'd very much like to try, but between the lack of ability to find a group (offsite drama, not pulling it in here) to play with & the heavy tactics emphasis going directly against my normal mode of GMing, it's hovering in the background. Did get the hardcover print version, though, and it's gorgeous.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

My view on Beam Saber was really, really soured by the early versions (that barely if at all worked as a game) - hopefully by now it's been made more usable.
I get the issues with Lancer, though. It's a game I'd very much like to try, but between the lack of ability to find a group (offsite drama, not pulling it in here) to play with & the heavy tactics emphasis going directly against my normal mode of GMing, it's hovering in the background. Did get the hardcover print version, though, and it's gorgeous.

One of the biggest things I think can make or break a setting is the artwork. It doesn't even have to be "good" it just needs to be eye catching.

I have never played Lancer but I think one of the reasons it is so fun is because of a strong understanding of it's world and the themes it is going for married with great art and art direction.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Bean saber, the legendary blade forged from legume ingots

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

One of the biggest things I think can make or break a setting is the artwork. It doesn't even have to be "good" it just needs to be eye catching.

I have never played Lancer but I think one of the reasons it is so fun is because of a strong understanding of it's world and the themes it is going for married with great art and art direction.

Tom's artistic background and the fantastic artists he got on board went a long way on the visual aspect, and Tom & Miguel are serious as hell about the positions Lancer takes on its own setting IRL too. You're right on the money - it's a project with conviction behind it and a lot of talent that sets the scene for newcomers, both in building the world and in demonstrating snapshots of those themes.

One of the few Kickstarters I've ever backed (Hard Wired Island & Deniable Assets are the other two) and I'm very glad that wasn't a miss. Then again, Lancer had the advantage going into crowdfunding that they had actually basically finished the game already and had mass public testing, so you knew you were getting something good. (Really hoping Deniable Assets doesn't end up being a miss, I've taken up my usual position of "cool, I'm excited for it, I'm going to completely black out all news and discussion until it releases" and haven't kept up at all.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SkyeAuroline posted:

I have been running the same 3.5e D&D game for over 2.5 years now. The PCs are level 20, and as part of the Final Boss Battle™ they each got a salient divine ability to fight with. We're going into the 3rd session of that battle tomorrow which will be session #109 in total. It's been wild.

I am also in a Dark Ages Vampire: 20th Anniversary game with one other player, where we are basically just being huge assholes to the Tremere and anyone who gets in our way. It's very fun.

edit:

aldantefax posted:

legume ingots
gonna make a character with this name

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

gonna make a character with this name

It's pronounced Le Gumay!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I created a gnome once for a game whose name was Rogue Operadrake, and Legume Ingots has a very similar energy

Also, I am working on the West Marches thread, stay tuned.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I used to salvage character names from spam emails. My favourite was Cornbinks Corona, a private investigator In Space for a short-lived Traveller game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best character name I ever had was when my dwarf invoker Fargrim Stonereach needed to think of a fake alias on the spot and came up with "Farrock Strongblast"

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

aldantefax posted:

Also, I am working on the West Marches thread, stay tuned.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954890

Here is a West Marches thread!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sort of between games while we figure out a new system to try. Been playing low-commitment Dungeon World and gm-less stuff in meantime (fiasco, for the Queen, king is dead, kingdom, archipelago, dialect, and I just got Alice is Missing).

As an aside, I’ve actually been curious about running Eclipse Phase with the official Fate adaptation.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If you wanted to give a new gm the greatest chance possible of successfully running 4-10 sessions, what system and possibly supplements would you give them? Can include published adventures.

For this hypothetical, assume that YouTube and other internet fan resources aren’t available so that popularity doesn’t have as strong a weight.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Playing Double Cross, Lancer, and a cute modern 13th Age game.
Also in the "making maps, tossing around ideas" stage of game planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm about to conclude my first campaign and last D&D 5E campaign. Been running for more than a year. Honestly I think that if it weren't 5E and so tied to a bunch of D&D crap I felt compelled to allow in or didn't really think through before I let in, I'd want to continue further. As it stands, one of the players will be running the next campaign, so I'll move back to being a player, maybe running something else for a different group.