Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

You didn't tell us which part of a boat the dildo is.

Is... is it this part? :ohdear:

iirc it was part of a rowboat that was so particularly shaped

quote:

It was once used to reference a phallus-shaped pin stuck in the edging of a row boat to act as a pivot for the oar (also known as a "thole pin" or "dole pin").
but there are arguments that even then it had a sexual connotation, so when they got around to naming the town they used the name that was probably given by early explorers because of the particular shape of the island from a certain angle. people have tried to change it for a hundred years now cause fuckers keep stealing the sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

CoolCab posted:

Several were lost to time - god, it was ages ago now. I have never met James Cordon nor been to that service station, of course there never was an argument about spagetti bollonese, nor do a wide number of us write S Club 7 fan sites or that puppet show with the ships erotic fiction. It was like we were receiving red texts from a better version of reality - one where our squabbles were not about nationalism but instead far purer things.

Extremely disappointed to find out goddamnedtwisto never tried the S Club 7 coup.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no comment on what's for sale at the yard sale

e

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

You didn't tell us which part of a boat the dildo is.

Is... is it this part? :ohdear:

aahhh... crane-chan, w-what are you doing

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

CoolCab posted:

Several were lost to time - god, it was ages ago now. I have never met James Cordon nor been to that service station, of course there never was an argument about spagetti bollonese, nor do a wide number of us write S Club 7 fan sites or that puppet show with the ships erotic fiction. It was like we were receiving red texts from a better version of reality - one where our squabbles were not about nationalism but instead far purer things.

I used to have "I tell people Tim Farron is my dad so they'll think I'm cool" with a very unfortunate picture of him (aren't they all), but have managed to piss off/entertain two more people since then, hence my current one.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Willing to bet I am not even nearly the first person to type that phrase online today.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 9, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The entire concept of electoral and democratic legitimacy is contingent on enough people belieiving in it, though? Like yeah he got enough votes to win the election, but that doesn't mean people have to like it or think that it is legitimate or good? You can certainly make the argument that it is more important to preserve belief in the legitimacy of the electoral system than to have the guy you want in power, and you can also make the argument that trump is a garbage president who shouldn't be in power regardless, but in no case can you escape the fact that a crisis of the legitimacy of the governing apparatus of the US is not some unfathomable event, countries have those crises all the time because for whatever reason a sufficinet plurality of the people living there cease to buy into that particular mass hallucination that it is legitimate.

Like yes there is, presumably, an actual real reality which we can attempt to discern the shape of by prodding it with sticks and seeing what happens but in the realm of society, almost everything we deal with is constructed out of the mass belief of other people, that's what a social construct is. And what I am saying is that I don't think that humanity as a whole has ever had a unified connection to absolute reality, what we have had more recently is more hegemonic social constructs enforced by things like press, church, and state.

But it is the nature of people who form communities to build their own conceptions of the world and many of them are directly in opposition to the ones with more resources and more power. It is weird to me to try and cast the world before today as ever having some actual objective truth to it that we have strayed away from, rather than just a more effective domination of a smaller number of truths over others.

Social spaces do not, I think, just appear out of nowhere, they reflect the actual diversity of experience and ideas of human beings, and I don't like or understand the desire to just... shove all those back in the box or at least under the subjugation of the dominant narrative. That kind of thinking is what gets you suppression of LGBT rights, labour movements, women's emancipation, all that poo poo. Because what are those but people forming communities to reflect their reality and seeking to topple the dominance of the mainstream reality that denies their validity?

I don't think the conspiracy theorists just emerge out of nowhere, I think it is a reflection of actual problems in the world that people do not have a better explanation for, because they have been primed by extremely traditional forms of media to reject better explanations, it makes no sense to me to look at that and say "well the problem is social media is taking the conspiracy nuttery out of the hands of us, the people who created it for profit and because it suppressed backlash against the predatory actions of our state, and now it's affecting us in ways we didn't predict, so obviously we need to ban social media"

Complaining about the polarizing effects of social media I think is ultimately just a complaint by people who either don't understand how the world works and are only seeing a very small part of a wider structure, or who do understand how it works and what they dislike is that they are losing exclusive control what people believe, but they phrase it as if what they want people to believe is somehow "objective" which is just what every lovely lib journalist in the world does on twitter every day when they whine about the mob saying they're full of poo poo.

It’s all good and well saying that elections only exist because of a fabricated reality we all agree on - absolutely true. But that isn’t the point I was making. No one at the Capitol today, or any of the tens of millions of people who believe the election was stolen, are criticising the very idea of elections and wondering what new systems we may be able to come up with. They’re saying it was stolen - that there was fraud. They’re using data, facts, accounts of events that objectively are false and objectively did not happen to justify that belief - and they believe those facts to be true. The people feeding them those facts almost certainly don’t, but who knows? The information is out there and because of how social media works, it has been amplified to such a degree that tens of millions of people now believe a set of events that are outright, absolutely objectively, lies. That’s what I’m getting at. We could argue black is white about the nature of truth and society and social construction but I’d argue we need to take a step back (or forward?) from that. Take a less deeply philosophical, academic view of things and for a moment just say that there are things that happen and things that don’t - take some of society’s truths as just truths for a second, just for the purpose of addressing how specifically untrue things are suddenly becoming true to millions. There’s space for other conversations about how society is fundamentally constructed obviously and the internet is great for exposing more people to those ideas too but in the realm of macro-politics those ideas will be nigh on irrelevant if half of the world ends up believing in literal harmful bullshit and we end up with a society based on that.

Basically, outside of academic high level discussion and in the minds of the vast vast majority of humanity there is objective truth. That might be an inconvenient fact but it’s how it is. If we on the left spend all of our time getting wrapped up in how actual my there isn’t objective truth etc etc without tackling things at a level most people empathise with then the right will just abolish those truths and replace them with their own, as they have been doing, and with our tacit approval because remember, we don’t believe in objective truth anyway.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's a bit stupid to say you can only exercise if you don't enjoy it. I bring drinks and sandwiches when I go for a walk because I like to stop to catch my breath and eat something when I do.

Tier 6: You can only do it if it hurts.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Off out for a run, taking my water bottle with me cuz gently caress the police

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

It’s all good and well saying that elections only exist because of a fabricated reality we all agree on - absolutely true. But that isn’t the point I was making. No one at the Capitol today, or any of the tens of millions of people who believe the election was stolen, are criticising the very idea of elections and wondering what new systems we may be able to come up with. They’re saying it was stolen - that there was fraud. They’re using data, facts, accounts of events that objectively are false and objectively did not happen to justify that belief - and they believe those facts to be true. The people feeding them those facts almost certainly don’t, but who knows? The information is out there and because of how social media works, it has been amplified to such a degree that tens of millions of people now believe a set of events that are outright, absolutely objectively, lies. That’s what I’m getting at. We could argue black is white about the nature of truth and society and social construction but I’d argue we need to take a step back (or forward?) from that. Take a less deeply philosophical, academic view of things and for a moment just say that there are things that happen and things that don’t - take some of society’s truths as just truths for a second, just for the purpose of addressing how specifically untrue things are suddenly becoming true to millions. There’s space for other conversations about how society is fundamentally constructed obviously and the internet is great for exposing more people to those ideas too but in the realm of macro-politics those ideas will be nigh on irrelevant if half of the world ends up believing in literal harmful bullshit and we end up with a society based on that.

Basically, outside of academic high level discussion and in the minds of the vast vast majority of humanity there is objective truth. That might be an inconvenient fact but it’s how it is. If we on the left spend all of our time getting wrapped up in how actual my there isn’t objective truth etc etc without tackling things at a level most people empathise with then the right will just abolish those truths and replace them with their own, as they have been doing, and with our tacit approval because remember, we don’t believe in objective truth anyway.

But why does belief those ideas correlate almost entirely among party lines? I would argue that at the root of it it is because people fundamentally reject the idea of a democratic party president and the idea of the american democracy in general because it failed to return the result they wanted. The point is that they want their guy in charge, which is not a wrong thing to want in isolation! I want corbyn to be in charge of the UK if we're going to have anyone in charge of it, and if I could somehow snap my fingers and make that happen I would do it in an instant. Similarly if I could snap my fingers and make tory MPs have heart attacks until we eventually run out of them I would do that as well.

But they don't phrase it that way because the people feeding them those ideas, the people who run the actual news channels and have the actual presidency, and republican party, by the way, not some random social media people, know that they can't just say "we should install trump as a dictator" because they know a lot of people are not conditoned to like the sound of that. They phrase it as "restoring democracy" and "combating fraud" because "democracy" is a patriotic buzzword to a lot of people in the US. They are selling an emotional idea made out of nationalistic fluff that robes itself in what are, ultimately, entirely meaningless words and phrases that evoke happy feelings in the brains of the people doing it and give them a feeling of righteousness to their actions, because that feeling is necessary to motivate them to act.

They aren't convinced by the information, they start already believing the conclusion and then wrap that axiomatic belief in the trappings of an argument, an argument that only makes sense to them and other people who share that emotional, ideological belief. The specifics of the information are meaningless, what matters is the act of sharing it, the act of forming a community, the act of showing up with a shitload of other people all waving the flags you like and chanting and repeating the words you like to hear and holy poo poo we could just go in there and stop the fraud and free the country we'd be heroes...

What you're seeing is the power of emotional community, the resonance of collective action in the heart of ordinary human beings who, like all of us, are desperate for emotional fulfillment. And it's something that happens across the political spectrum, and it's something that has happened long before social media became a thing. The form might have changed a bit, but I don't think that the substance has that much. Social media being a highly effective communication platform I think has allowed that energy to build up a bit more easily than before, and I think that the atomization of capitalism has removed many of the more traditional counternarratives such as workplace communities, but I don't think it at all holds up to say that it is somehow the result of misinformation on social media that is causing the problem. The misinformation is and always has been spread via other routes, and there have always been other ways to form communities around it.

There was a good video by the Folding Ideas channel about qanon which I think goes over some of this stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

Tier 6: You can only do it if it hurts.

This is not a dating site.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

To be clear I think English Imperialism is a tool that has been used against the english working class as well as against other nations, but I think English people need to acknowledge how much it has warped their world view and recognise why Englishness is viewed so negatively by others.

Simply saying that others need to focus on internationalist solidarity and ignore the negative impacts of England stinks of failing to remove the plank from ones own eye before removing the splinter from your brother's.

Well you also gotta remember that to most people outside the UK, english = british, we use it interchangeably. Same with the americans, someone from texas is a yank to us.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Blaming social media for the insurrection in America is like blaming pamphleteers for the English civil war. It just happens to be the newest facilitator of communication at the moment. If we don't blame it we have to admit that the problems existed beforehand.
That Douglas Adams essay from 1999 touches on these ideas- How to Stop Worrying and Learn to Love the Internet.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Endjinneer posted:

Blaming social media for the insurrection in America is like blaming pamphleteers for the English civil war. It just happens to be the newest facilitator of communication at the moment. If we don't blame it we have to admit that the problems existed beforehand.
That Douglas Adams essay from 1999 touches on these ideas- How to Stop Worrying and Learn to Love the Internet.

It's the loving Darnton Debate all over again. "Oh books caused the French Revolution, no Magazines did".

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sex arses

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jakabite posted:

I'm put in mind of the point of the Japanese/Buddhist tea ceremony, which is meant to emphasise that forms are empty and nothing really exists and all that stuff, but then you have to pour the tea perfectly regardless

EDIT as a recovering academic there's definitely a thing where I genuinely think you have to reach the most seemingly obvious or easy conclusions the hard way, leaving no stone unturned, trying to take nothing for granted, recognising the extreme difficulty inherent in epistemology or morality or whatever. But then you have to pour the tea whole-heartedly, knowing it's only ever your best guess. The right don't ever bother with that and are essentially nihilists using postmodern concepts in their least useful or appropriate ways, leftists will often do the first part but get too tangled up in it to regain any sense of confidence or certainty

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 9, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:hmmyes:
Sex arses caused the French Revolution.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I want a film made about the struggle to get those sex arses to their destination safely.

Das Butt

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Ewan posted:

Common sense, to me, suggests that having a cup of tea while walking around a lake that you have driven 5 miles to get to is more accurately described as 'recreation' than 'exercise'.

You sound completely nonsensical, to me. There are forms of outdoor recreation that aren't exercise, and those aren't allowed, but that doesn't mean exercise has to be unenjoyable to be allowed. We want people to exercise.They're more likely to do it if they can go somewhere nice and have a cup of tea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Naziroquai.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

namesake posted:

I want a film made about the struggle to get those sex arses to their destination safely.

Das Butt

simpsonsdidit

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
on a theme of nationalism and misinformation and insurrections, a passage from Jonathan Glover's Humanity:

quote:

The Belief Trap

The media spread misinformation, for instance about Serb atrocities in Bosnia. The Sarajevo bread queue massacre was attributed to the Muslims, who were supposed to have stage-managed it as anti-Serb propaganda. It was said that most of the victims were Serbs, and that their bodies had been replaced by the corpses of Muslims killed elsewhere.

People assess the plausibility of what they are told in light of what other information they have. Where nearly all the information they have on a topic comes from distorting sources, they may be trapped inside a system of false beliefs. Information which contradicts that system of beliefs may be rejected as implausible.

The propaganda was so sustained and consistent that much of it was accepted. In 1992 people in Belgrade were asked in a survey to say who had been bombarding Sarajevo from the surrounding hills. Only 20.5 per cent thought it was Serbs, while 38.4 per cent thought the answer was 'Muslim-Croat forces'. Contrary views became hard to believe. In the same year as the survey, one journalist said that Serbian television could by then allow opposition views to be expressed: 'Reality sounds like the blackest anti-Serbian propaganda, and anyone who describes it will frighten people and turn them against him.'

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can I still win the euromillions lottery?

Someone from the UK won the Euromillions on the 1st of January. So yes you still CAN win the Euromillions.

You won't*, but you can.

* = Besides you aren't winning it, because I am going to win it next.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ronya posted:

on a theme of nationalism and misinformation and insurrections, a passage from Jonathan Glover's Humanity:

i will confess, i missed you ronya during my break. i hope you're keeping okay in all this nonsense.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Imagine getting a 4chan tattoo. Imagine walking into a tattoo place and asking for that, and somehow not walking out with 'I am a total cock' tattooed across your face and no lunch money.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Borrovan posted:

Ash Crimson has repeatedly made it clear in the past that they are actually talking about the English voters, yes all of them, and no not the Scottish Tories/Brexit voters/whatever. People who are saying "what they actually mean is..." are forgetting a whole bunch of their posts.

This is true. Also I'm reasonably sure this is like the third or fourth time we've had a 10 page debate about Ash Crimson's posting, which tells you all you need to know.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It is surely a crime to try and solicit individuals within the NHS to illegally supply you with their drugs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55593210

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

This is true. Also I'm reasonably sure this is like the third or fourth time we've had a 10 page debate about Ash Crimson's posting, which tells you all you need to know.

Are you saying they are a high impact poster?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It is surely a crime to try and solicit individuals within the NHS to illegally supply you with their drugs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55593210

I think this is one of the reasons why we're not issuing vaccinated people with cards and telling them they can behave like they used to. The black market it would create would be fierce.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

I think this is one of the reasons why we're not issuing vaccinated people with cards and telling them they can behave like they used to. The black market it would create would be fierce.

Israel's doing that via their app, but they're actually vaccinating people properly afaik because they've got a very small population in a very small area.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Miftan posted:

Israel's doing that via their app, but they're actually vaccinating people properly afaik because they've got a very small population in a very small area.

Also they’re not vaccinating Palestinians.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Miftan posted:

Are they vaccinating Palestineans yet?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

Are they vaccinating Palestineans yet?

Noxville posted:

Also they’re not vaccinating Palestinians.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

Great news though, the area just keeps getting bigger!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it should be illegal to go for a walk in the woods because you might enjoy it too much

all outdoor exercise should be strictly limited to industrial estates in the cold and wet, preferably at night, in order to prevent anyone lapsing into dangerous "recreation"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's never going to cease to amuse me that the "Qanon shaman" really is called Jake A.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

XMNN posted:

it should be illegal to go for a walk in the woods because you might enjoy it too much

all outdoor exercise should be strictly limited to industrial estates in the cold and wet, preferably at night, in order to prevent anyone lapsing into dangerous "recreation"

I like desolate cityscapes, concrete, and decay though.

I can't stand sunshine, crowds or joy.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

As a good citizen, every time you leave the house you should be constantly monitoring your pupil dilation in a little mirror, ready to turn yourself in to the authorities at the first sign of pleasure

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It's those ladies fault actually, all they needed to do was chase a fox or a golf ball and they'd have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

I like desolate cityscapes, concrete, and decay though.

I can't stand sunshine, crowds or joy.

Username/post combo.