Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Those are some cool 2018 tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1346926795824660481

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCqj3ioHGOs

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just noticed the date and time this was published and holy poo poo that's funny

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 8, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AndrewP posted:

I just noticed the date and time this was published and it's holy poo poo that's funny

it honestly made me laugh out loud and was perfectly timed

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah it was pretty germaine in a way.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I kept seeing people repost that and I couldn't figure out what the bit was because I hadn't bothered to click and undo the twitter cropping lol

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Entropic posted:

I kept seeing people repost that and I couldn't figure out what the bit was because I hadn't bothered to click and undo the twitter cropping lol

Thanks for this, I literally thought the tweet was just Justin's face

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So is the joke that it was bean day and he hosed it up or that his tweet landed during an attempted armed insurrection of the government? Or both?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Warbird posted:

So is the joke that it was bean day and he hosed it up or that his tweet landed during an attempted armed insurrection of the government? Or both?

The latter I presume

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Warbird posted:

i think he was pretending to accidentally post about spaghetti in order to bring levity in a dark time

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Can someone please explain this incredible simple joke? Preferably in a way that also makes everyone question if you understand the joke?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Open up the picture. The day he posted it was not actually national spaghetti day. Justin posted that in the middle of a trump mob rioting in DC and breaking into the capital, senators' offices, etc.

The joke is that the tone of Justin's picture severely clashed with the historically unprecedented event that was occurring at the same time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I'm partial to this one
https://youtu.be/4r1y4gQ261k

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tenik posted:

Open up the picture. The day he posted it was not actually national spaghetti day. Justin posted that in the middle of a trump mob rioting in DC and breaking into the capital, senators' offices, etc.

The joke is that the tone of Justin's picture severely clashed with the historically unprecedented event that was occurring at the same time.

it's like that brand that had to apologize for sending out emails promising like, 'a revolution... in skincare' or whatever during the middle of it lol

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Goldman Sachs had 10000 t shirts printed up and mailed out last week for their upcoming team building exercise in DC called "Storm the Capitol."

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14uty3k13SM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu1edHmNTgQ

Zero One fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 8, 2021

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Pennsylvanian posted:

There was a really awkward moment like ten minutes into it where Travis complains that dice rolls get in the way of story, and the guests trying to hold themselves back from saying "loving what?" was kind of rough to listen to.

That explains a lot about Graduation, honestly. I think just about any Actual Play I've listened to that does behind the scenes or post-mortem stuff will talk about how some huge consequential moment came about entirely due to a player having a creative idea, and then botching/succeeding their roll in a way that the GM has not planned for and now they have to throw out all their planning and go full improvisation.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

is graduation close to over yet?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pardot posted:

is graduation close to over yet?

griffin was talking about running the next season soon on an interview so i assume it must be wrapping up in the next couple months

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Grunch Worldflower posted:

That explains a lot about Graduation, honestly. I think just about any Actual Play I've listened to that does behind the scenes or post-mortem stuff will talk about how some huge consequential moment came about entirely due to a player having a creative idea, and then botching/succeeding their roll in a way that the GM has not planned for and now they have to throw out all their planning and go full improvisation.

It feels like they want to sell more graphic novels or TV pilots, so they're making their campaigns way more structured, which kind of keeps them from trying to actively fix what's not working in the moment. I just listened to Amnesty again, and man there was a whole lot of single-character flashbacks and dream sequences and one-on-one dialogues. There were still solid goofs like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5eEMC8lwBQ, but there's so little time where the players are all allowed to talk.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pennsylvanian posted:

It feels like they want to sell more graphic novels or TV pilots, so they're making their campaigns way more structured, which kind of keeps them from trying to actively fix what's not working in the moment. I just listened to Amnesty again, and man there was a whole lot of single-character flashbacks and dream sequences and one-on-one dialogues. There were still solid goofs like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5eEMC8lwBQ, but there's so little time where the players are all allowed to talk.
You've identified the problem but I don't think the root cause is wanting to sell more adaptions. It's just them getting really into a different kind of storytelling and that being a pretty big shift, at least in terms of Balance vs Amnesty. Graduation is just Travis being a new DM on top of that.

Like, I don't think they're hurting for that sweet sweet podcast adaption money? There's still a significant chunk of Balance to adapt to comic. The shift is from 'I'm going to gently caress around doing improv comedy in a game with my family' to 'I am super invested in story and character development and ended up not leaving enough room for improv goofs'. Amnesty is fine for the type of story it is, I like it a lot, but it's not really... goofs-based.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, if it was about adaptions, at this point they’ve built up enough of a backlog to do an entire campaign without getting though everything they’ve done. Heck, they probably wouldn’t get all the way through Amnesty.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Pennsylvanian posted:

I don't know if it's necessarily a desire to franchise the operation. Griffin mentioned a lot toward the latter half of Balance that Friends at the Table were a huge influence on him, which is an Actual Play that frequently does very good monologues, one-on-one scenes, and big emotional moments (and, like TAZ, benefits a lot from having someone on the cast making music for it). Pulling these big emotional moments worked at the end of Balance because we'd been with these characters for a long time and they put in the work to "earn" it. Amnesty and Graduation asked us to be already invested in the personal drama of some random characters we just met.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Whenever you hear an ad on MBMBAM for a bad MaxFun show, just think of how much worse it could have been:

https://twitter.com/jessethorn/status/1348105439758618624?s=21

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Entropic posted:

Whenever you hear an ad on MBMBAM for a bad MaxFun show, just think of how much worse it could have been:

https://twitter.com/jessethorn/status/1348105439758618624?s=21

I’m so curious what Dersh thought would make a good podcast

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

aware of dog posted:

Fierce debate over age of consent laws, I'd imagine

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

aware of dog posted:

he actually has one right now lol

i only know because tom scharpling and julie klausner played parts of it on their podcast, double threat, because they do segments on terrible podcasts

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shinjobi posted:

Fierce debate over age of consent laws, I'd imagine

Debate? The man yells into the loving sky about it.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

I don't know if it's necessarily a desire to franchise the operation. Griffin mentioned a lot toward the latter half of Balance that Friends at the Table were a huge influence on him, which is an Actual Play that frequently does very good monologues, one-on-one scenes, and big emotional moments (and, like TAZ, benefits a lot from having someone on the cast making music for it). Pulling these big emotional moments worked at the end of Balance because we'd been with these characters for a long time and they put in the work to "earn" it. Amnesty and Graduation asked us to be already invested in the personal drama of some random characters we just met.

One other reason it works better in Friends at the Table is that there is simply more of it. Season lengths vary, but the episodes are longer (often twice or three times as long as a TAZ episode) and they come out weekly, so there's more time for indulgent GM monologues and solo scenes. I'd say they're deployed more strategically, too, but that's harder to get an objective measure on.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

This also goes along with (I think) Griffin saying in one of the TTAZZ episodes that everyone gets their second time wrong, because when you nail something the first time there's a ton of pressure to get it right again, so you overthink everything. So not counting any of the mini-arcs, or Graduation because it's not Griffin, I wonder if we'll see a return to form for Griffin's third run at DMing a long arc.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah I think a lot of the issue with TAZ is one hour a fortnight isn't enough time to fail quickly, so when something doesn't work it takes months to course correct.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Trapick posted:

Yeah I think a lot of the issue with TAZ is one hour a fortnight isn't enough time to fail quickly, so when something doesn't work it takes months to course correct.

see also Graduation picking up shortly after Travis announced they were almost done

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Trapick posted:

i honestly think that this is a big part of the problem, actual play podcasts that produce more content really do tend to be better

it's not just the ability to correct course, either, since it also lets spend more time with the characters to develop those relationships (both among characters and between the audience and the characters), and it gives you the the luxury to slow down and not drive the plot forward as aggressively as Only Two Hours A Month mandates

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 11, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remember during the Suffering Game, both Henry and Bebe were born and Griffin and Travis both took episodes off for leave, so there were two instances pretty close to each other where there was a full month without any forward momentum in the story.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

timp posted:

The newest episode of Adventuring Academy features Griffin as the guest this week. Adventuring Academy is a DnD video podcast hosted by Brennan Lee Mulligan (DM of The Dadlands one shot) where he interviews DMs about DMing. In addition to the Dadlands thing, Brennan also ran a short campaign of DnD called Tiny Heist for the McElroys around this time last year (also a Dropout exclusive though I believe the first episode is on YouTube), and Griffin has also guested in a live episode of Brennan's DnD show, Dimension 20. So this was a long time coming really!

Adventuring Academy is a Dropout exclusive I believe. Dropout is the streaming service run by the now-defunct College Humor, but Dropout still produces high quality content on a regular basis such as this. There's also a chance this may end up on YouTube eventually but I have no idea how long the delay from Dropout exclusive to YouTube release is.

I haven't listened yet but I'm sure it's good!

Quoting myself to update that this has now been added to YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIyYnfQsB7A

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1349134130689290240?s=20

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm jonsing for the newest episode to drop.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
THEY KEPT THE GRIFFIN THEME!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This episode opens with a fun surprise

And it loving owned