Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Pervis posted:

And when the military left a bunch of white conservatives violently overthrew the state and local governments and took control. The 6th was just a lovely re-enactment of the end of reconstruction to these folks, confederate flags and all, though they didn't use cannons to shell the government (yet).

I really don't like the doomer poo poo, mostly because it's bad for my mental health which is already strained at this point. I still wish to be hopeful that there is a way to pull back and prosecute or unperson the people involved in this, especially with the cops hopefully feeling threatened enough to take actual serious action next time there's a hint of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

True but also always make fun of dead Nazis.

Never pass up this opportunity. Relevant:

New gang tag courtesy of the CSPAM trump thread.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Arnie's wrong about one thing: if you keep tempering a broadsword like Conan's over and over and over and over, you risk making the steel so "strong" that it becomes brittle and breaks easily.

The shards are really strong, though. :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I decided to read up on the Reichstag fire and... well, I know it gets thrown around a lot but Trump's rhetoric is pretty much identical to Hitler's

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I really don't like the doomer poo poo, mostly because it's bad for my mental health which is already strained at this point. I still wish to be hopeful that there is a way to pull back and prosecute or unperson the people involved in this, especially with the cops hopefully feeling threatened enough to take actual serious action next time there's a hint of something.

Yeah. I'm diagnosed with cptsd, which literally makes you constantly prepare for the worst, and I'm still more optimistic than this doomer poo poo.

While optimism is unrealistic, so is this absurd extreme cynicism.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I decided to read up on the Reichstag fire and... well, I know it gets thrown around a lot but Trump's rhetoric is pretty much identical to Hitler's

Yeah... "Fascist" has really been robbed of its meaning since like the 60s by leftists using it to describe anything and everything to the right of them but Trumpism has nearly every trait common among all 20th century fascist movements.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Arnie's wrong about one thing: if you keep tempering a broadsword like Conan's over and over and over and over, you risk making the steel so "strong" that it becomes brittle and breaks easily.

The shards are really strong, though. :v:

I definitely did a "well actually" to myself while watching that. Everyone take a knee.

*swings in whiteboard and begins furiously drawing stress-strain diagrams*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The quote from the Twilight Zone episde "He's Alive" is apt here:

quote:

Where will he go next, this phantom from another time, this resurrected ghost of a previous nightmare – Chicago? Los Angeles? Miami, Florida? Vincennes, Indiana? Syracuse, New York? Anyplace, everyplace, where there's hate, where there's prejudice, where there's bigotry. He's alive. He's alive so long as these evils exist. Remember that when he comes to your town. Remember it when you hear his voice speaking out through others. Remember it when you hear a name called, a minority attacked, any blind, unreasoning assault on a people or any human being. He's alive because through these things we keep him alive.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Listened to an 8 episode thing on Mao's Cultural Revolution and it had way too many uncomfortable parallels.

Mao kinda sidelined for a while due to mishandling the Great Leap then agitating a base against his own people then literally calling on them to bomb party headquarters etc....

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Never pass up this opportunity. Relevant:

New gang tag courtesy of the CSPAM trump thread.

The animated version is even better:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

That Works posted:

Listened to an 8 episode thing on Mao's Cultural Revolution and it had way too many uncomfortable parallels.

Mao kinda sidelined for a while due to mishandling the Great Leap then agitating a base against his own people then literally calling on them to bomb party headquarters etc....

It has been many years since history undergrad when I took a course on Communist China so the specifics may be a bit off. I do recall during the CR that Mao talked about a thousand flower peddles of people writing grievances about their local govt officials. Well, it turned out a lot of people had a lot of problems so instead of doing something about it they just locked up most of them that wrote in even though it was supposed to be the right and legal thing to do at the time.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Didn't see it posted yet, AWS is removing parler from it's web hosting service today at midnight.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

stealie72 posted:

Every state is uncomfortably red once you get 50 miles from the city center.

Funny thing is, the furthest any part of RI can be from the capitol or city center is like 43 miles (and that's the furthest edge of the state where Taylor Swift owns a beach house :v)

Seriously, LA County is larger than RI. It's loving weird as hell.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah... "Fascist" has really been robbed of its meaning since like the 60s by leftists using it to describe anything and everything to the right of them but Trumpism has nearly every trait common among all 20th century fascist movements.

For example, this quote of Trump, talking about the democrats

quote:

"These sub-humans do not understand how the people stand at our side. In their mouse-holes, out of which they now want to come, of course they hear nothing of the cheering of the masses."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, flying into or out of LAX at night is always surreal because it just seemingly stretches on forever, only stopping when it hits the mountains, then continuing on the other side of them.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Handsome Ralph posted:

Funny thing is, the furthest any part of RI can be from the capitol or city center is like 43 miles (and that's the furthest edge of the state where Taylor Swift owns a beach house :v)

Maybe he meant "furlongs"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Handsome Ralph posted:

Spending a day hiking across RI seems like a nice break

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

tacopie posted:

Didn't see it posted yet, AWS is removing parler from it's web hosting service today at midnight.

Saw that. And I really doubt the platform was developed with enough forethought that it's simple to deploy on another cloud provider.

Get hosed, parler.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1348310664419438598?s=20

Lol

https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1348312522500304896?s=20

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

antimatt posted:

Saw that. And I really doubt the platform was developed with enough forethought that it's simple to deploy on another cloud provider.

Get hosed, parler.

If you live in AWS and can easily shift to another host, then AWS is likely your most expensive option to begin with. They ecosystem is cool AF, but priced in such a way that if you don't exploit it your effectively get financially penalized.

I think the google and azure ecosystems are the same, and would require a complete rewrite of the codebase to move there, and that rules out any provider capable of handling the load. Every other cloud provider just resells AWS and charges for knowledge at that scale.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
By any chance how would that "Stop Big Tech" bill affected the current situation?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just tried to create an account, I think they disabled creation. Getting an error message that says "signup not available", but not one that says to fix errors (like they had before).

e: nice edit :laffo:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wasabi the J posted:

By any chance how would that "Stop Big Tech" bill affected the current situation?

If you mean the repeal of 230, it would allow the hosting provider to be sued for what the users uploaded. Currently the only reasons to not host are ethical and PR based, there is no legal cudgel that can be used.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s a motherfucking yikes.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1348314045808594945?s=21

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/FirenzeMike/status/1347663155716100096?s=20

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I didn't actually mean it to be doomer, more informative about a part of my country's history that I still find particularly shocking even years after finding about it, sorry. I stripped out some bits of my post that basically said that most states and large corporations would never have just gone along with whatever the hell happened if this poo poo ended even more serious than it was. The fairly frequent very public comments from places like the national association of manufacturers pushing back gives me some hope since there's clearly some major power structures in this country very alarmed by what's going on, and is hopefully the tip of the iceberg. All of the tech companies removing themselves as tools for the people organizing this certainly doesn't hurt.

I don't know how we pull back from this, though successful prosecutions and actual consequences would really help, long-term. How much of this is Trump-specific and tied to whatever networks of cultists and professional social media propaganda pushers isn't really clear. Hopefully it fractures once he's out of office and people start trying to steer the different groups in slightly different directions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Orwell, writing in 1944, said:

quote:

It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley’s broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

I do recommend reading the piece in full. It’s a page and a half long.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Marjorie Taylor Greene is a loving embarrassment and I hope she gets sent packing sooner rather than later. Godamn.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/01/08/toledo-blade-block-trump-strike/%3foutputType=amp

Great

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

This rear end in a top hat
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021/01/07/US-Rep-Jake-LaTurner-of-Kansas-tests-positive-for-COVID-19/1691610028277/

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

The journalists’ concerns intensified on Thursday when Susan Block, wife of the chairman of Block Communications, a family-owned company that owns the Blade, posted an all-caps Facebook rant in support of the mob and calling Vice President-elect Kamala D. Harris a “w----.”

i actually don't know what that is

nobody tell me, i'm enjoying the mystery

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1348325437135605760?s=19

Pretty solid second-order effects of all this to completely trash the trump name so his failsons don't run either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doc Hawkins posted:

i actually don't know what that is

nobody tell me, i'm enjoying the mystery

Don’t look at this, but for everyone else, it’s ‘whore’. Not a nice thing to call someone, but I wouldn’t have thought it was unprintable.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Pretty solid second-order effects of all this to completely trash the trump name so his failsons don't run either.

This is a good move but it won't cause CHUDs to stop giving them money as those chicom democrats are cancelling our large adults sons. It will take DJT finally dying from heart disease or impacted bowel for the sons to fall away

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1348325437135605760?s=19

Holy poo poo he's gonna launch the nukes now isn't he. They've taken everything he cares about.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know the Lincoln Project became unpopular because of a tweet from some dude at *checks notes* the daily poster(and an AOC tweet), but they’re still pushing ahead and with great content. They’ve been in overdrive the past few days. Look I’m a dirty centrist I love their stuff.

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1348093172090597376?s=21

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1348051553186410497?s=21

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1347571734610907136?s=21

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1347930316447436801?s=21

Somewhat related, but this poo poo is still so surreal, that even Tom Clancy, would have looked cock eyed at it he wrote a book where abortion starts a war with Russia and China and the US.

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1348293638648782851?s=21

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Trump's death by heart disease will trigger the Highlander Protocol, where the last living Trump will designee will open up his hidden vault to find it full of nothing but empty Big Mac containers filled with rotten, uneaten lettuce.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Trump's death by heart disease will trigger the Highlander Protocol, where the last living Trump will designee will open up his hidden vault to find it full of nothing but empty Big Mac containers filled with rotten, uneaten lettuce.

Also IOUs and broken condoms.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Modern Al Capone's vault still with Geraldo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nick Soapdish posted:

Modern Al Capone's vault still with Geraldo

Also when it’s opened the most powerful and disgusting fart smell occurs and causes temporary loss of consciousness.