Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Julias posted:

Pavlov said no time travel

They said doesn't lean heavily on it. It's only a major part of one episode and isn't close to a crucial element of the show. Banana supremacy!

Edit: Also, gently caress you for making me write this bad snipe. Here's an AMV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoAuvg6AjEQ

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pavlov posted:

It's strange how the consensus drifts over time. I ate a ban for being too hard on Made in Abyss back when it was airing. Granted, I was too hard on a lot of shows, but that one I stand by.

Actually, I haven't really kept up on anime at all since then. Can anyone recommend something that:

- Came out between 2017 and now
- Isn't an adaption
- Doesn't lean heavy on amnesia or time travel
- Does something weird/artsy/unusual

As an example the only thing I've watched between then and now is Deca-Dence, which ticks all those boxes and was OK.

Akanesasu Shoujo

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Pavlov posted:

It's strange how the consensus drifts over time. I ate a ban for being too hard on Made in Abyss back when it was airing. Granted, I was too hard on a lot of shows, but that one I stand by.

Actually, I haven't really kept up on anime at all since then. Can anyone recommend something that:

- Isn't an adaption

As an example the only thing I've watched between then and now is Deca-Dence, which ticks all those boxes and was OK.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Edit: oh drat, it is actually an adaptation...but still recommending it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pavlov posted:

- Isn't an adaption

Mob Psycho 100?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pavlov posted:

- Isn't an adaption

Ongaku.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That Works posted:

Mob Psycho 100?

Made pre 2017 and based on a manga/webcomic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AlternateNu posted:

Made pre 2017 and based on a manga/webcomic.

Ah, didn't pick up on the adaptation part.

It's that old tho?

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
I'm in a weird place right now and looking for some manga/anime to tide me over.

I'm looking for something in the vein of "miserable/serious sci-fi that doesn't hold your hand or have characters plot dump on you constantly".

Thinking of things like :

- Ergo Proxy
- Blame!
- Texhnolyze

Thanks to Netflix I found Blame! after reading it years ago and its fired me back up for more.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

You could give Wolf's Rain a shot, it's a similar sort of wandering through the wasteland of a ruined world anime as Ergo Proxy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gilgamesh, Casshern Sins

could also try Kaiba, since despite some elements of its aesthetic it has a pretty depressing setting and some heartwrenching episodes

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sonderval posted:

I'm in a weird place right now and looking for some manga/anime to tide me over.

I'm looking for something in the vein of "miserable/serious sci-fi that doesn't hold your hand or have characters plot dump on you constantly".

- Ergo Proxy
- Blame!
- Texhnolyze

Thanks to Netflix I found Blame! after reading it years ago and its fired me back up for more.

Serial Experiments Lain

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sonderval posted:

- Ergo Proxy
- Blame!
- Texhnolyze

Gundam Thunderbolt

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sonderval posted:

- Ergo Proxy
- Blame!
- Texhnolyze

If you've burned through Blame! Your next stop manga-wise should be BiOmega, Knights of Sidonia, or Aposimz.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you've burned through Blame! Your next stop manga-wise should be BiOmega, Knights of Sidonia, or Aposimz.

i was gonna say, Nihei is pretty prolific

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sonderval posted:

- Ergo Proxy
- Blame!
- Texhnolyze

I'm seconding Gilgamesh and Casshern Sins

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Sonderval posted:

- Ergo Proxy
- Blame!
- Texhnolyze

Planetes (the manga, not the anime; the tone in the anime is quite a bit goofier)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

Planetes (the manga, not the anime; the tone in the anime is quite a bit goofier)

Oh gently caress yeah this

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

AlternateNu posted:

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight

Good giraffe. Could never get into moe girl shows though. This doesn't seem to be an exception.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maybe Sarazanmai?

Well, I definitely wasn't expecting a show about schoolboys crawling up people's assholes. Kind of left me scratching my head. Wasn't terrible though? I might keep watching this.

GorfZaplen posted:

Rinshi Ekoda Chan is a series of shorts where each episode is by a different director and they interview them and the voice actors for the episode afterward

Reminds me of Turning Girls, which is good. Is an adaption though. I ask for original series because I still read comics, and usually just read the source for something instead. The comic is pretty ok though.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks all, I'll give them a go.

Started with Aposimz .... has Nihei errr changed, I don't remember Blame! being this ... fetishy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sonderval posted:

Started with Aposimz .... has Nihei errr changed, I don't remember Blame! being this ... fetishy.
imo Nihei's newer stuff is just not that good. I thought Sidona was just okay and bounced off Aposimz pretty hard.

if you liked Blame and want more I'd just stick to Noise, Abara, and Biomega (personally I love Biomega a lot, in part because the lead is basically Killy but with a smidgen of personality)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 10, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'd have to partially disagree and partially agree.

There's a few goofy aspects added to the anime, mainly regarding the early "office comedy" sequences, but they also expanded on the political contents later on.

Don't get me wrong, the Planetes manga is still excellent. I'm just making it clear the anime does touch on plenty of serious subject matter (including stuff not present in the manga).

The TV series also arguably placed more of an emphasis on scientific accuracy during the vast majority of its depictions of space, too.

wielder fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 11, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just finished watching March Comes in Like a Lion which gets recommended here a lot. Good show. I started reading a fan translation of the manga from where the show left off, and I'm really glad that the show didn't get far enough to depict kiriyama suddenly blurting out that he's going to marry Hina. The cringe on my face would have been physically painful.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

wielder posted:

I'd have to partially disagree and partially agree.

There's a few goofy aspects added to the anime, mainly regarding the early "office comedy" sequences, but they also expanded on the political contents later on.

Don't get me wrong, the Planetes manga is still excellent. I'm just making it clear the anime does touch on plenty of serious subject matter (including stuff not present in the manga).

The TV series also arguably placed more of an emphasis on scientific accuracy during the vast majority of its depictions of space, too.
It's fine, I just don't think it's as consistent, and there are a few changes that I think are genuinely detrimental. I wouldn't tell someone not to watch it at all, but I have a strong personal preference that's reflected in my recommendation.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Good giraffe. Could never get into moe girl shows though. This doesn't seem to be an exception.

Well, I definitely wasn't expecting a show about schoolboys crawling up people's assholes. Kind of left me scratching my head. Wasn't terrible though? I might keep watching this.

Reminds me of Turning Girls, which is good. Is an adaption though. I ask for original series because I still read comics, and usually just read the source for something instead. The comic is pretty ok though.

It's barely translated so is it really an adaptation if the majority of english speakers will never engage with the source material?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

GorfZaplen posted:

It's barely translated so is it really an adaptation if the majority of english speakers will never engage with the source material?

Interesting philosophical question. I don't know.

The other problem with it is that, while the interviews are kind of neat, there seems to be way more interview than there is anime. I guess that's because the source material is kind of sparse? I think I'll bookmark the comic and see if it gets translated later.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
So, I'm moreso looking for a recommendation on a priority order instead of additional shows, but

So, I have a list of anime shows I've heard are good that's built up over the years. I enjoyed Neon Genesis Evangelion last year, and then since quarantine I've seen Avatar: The Last Airbender (which I think people debate about whether it's an anime or not, but it was on my list) and loved it, and that led me to another (One-Punch Man) that I also enjoyed. Since then, I've watched The Legend of Korra and My Hero Academia and had a great time with those, too.

So, I feel like I'm batting a thousand here and want to keep the momentum going on this list. Here's what's left:

A Place Further Than the Universe
Assassination Classroom
Attack on Titan
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Gunbuster and Diebuster
Hikaru no Go
Hyouka
Kill la Kill
KonoSuba: God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World
Madoka Magica
Paranoia Agent
Ping Pong
Prison School
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Samurai Champloo
Shirobako
Wanna Be the Strongest in the World
Watamote

The only one I know anything about beyond the title is Hikaru no Go, since I was reading Shonen Jump and remember that story appearing there a bit. Anyway, not all of my friends have good taste; I'd appreciate if folks here flagged anything here that is garbage or just average.

Also, I would be willing to add new recommendations to the list if they're on Netflix, Hulu, or HBO Max. Thank you for sharing your expertise!

edit: whoops, forgot I had a list from another friend that I didn't include. Added in to the above.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 11, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

surf rock posted:

So, I'm moreso looking for a recommendation on a priority order instead of additional shows, but

So, I have a list of anime shows I've heard are good that's built up over the years. I enjoyed Neon Genesis Evangelion last year, and then since quarantine I've seen Avatar: The Last Airbender (which I think people debate about whether it's an anime or not, but it was on my list) and loved it, and that led me to another (One-Punch Man) that I also enjoyed. Since then, I've watched The Legend of Korra and My Hero Academia and had a great time with those, too.

So, I feel like I'm batting a thousand here and want to keep the momentum going on this list. Here's what's left:

Assassination Classroom
Attack on Titan
Cowboy Bebop
Hikaru no Go
Kill la Kill
Madoka Magica
Prison School
Watamote

The only one I know anything about beyond the title is Hikaru no Go, since I was reading Shonen Jump and remember that story appearing there a bit. Anyway, not all of my friends have good taste; I'd appreciate if folks here flagged anything here that is garbage or just average.

Also, I would be willing to add new recommendations to the list if they're on Netflix, Hulu, or HBO Max. Thank you for sharing your expertise!

Swap Kill la Kill for Gurren Lagaan IMO.

Also put off Attack on Titan for now. It's fantastic, but it's right in its final season right now so if you wait a few months you can binge literally all of it in one go.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Watch Kill La Kill and Gurren Lagann, IMO.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

surf rock posted:

Hyouka
Madoka Magica
Ping Pong
Shirobako
i'll rep for all of these, they would all make my shortlist of best anime.

surf rock posted:

Prison School
Watamote
these ones feel most out of place on what's otherwise a list of really popular and/or critically acclaimed shows. prison school kinda owns though i guess.

also agree with watching Gurren Lagann instead of or ahead of Kill la Kill, its easily the better show by that crew

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

surf rock posted:

Assassination Classroom
Attack on Titan
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Gunbuster and Diebuster
Hikaru no Go
Hyouka
Kill la Kill
Madoka Magica
Paranoia Agent
Ping Pong
Prison School
Samurai Champloo
Shirobako
Watamote

edit: whoops, forgot I had a list from another friend that I didn't include. Added in to the above.

to my knowledge pretty much all of these are good. kill la kill i don't really think is a great one to have on that list because it's extremely skeevy/"fanservice"y in some pretty offputting ways, but if that doesn't bother you it's decent fun action (really no reason to watch it over gurren lagann though). i feel like prison school is in a similar boat but i haven't seen it so i might be thinking of something else. (i don't know anything about Hikaru no Go, Hyouka, Recovery of an MMO Junkie, or Wanna Be the Strongest in the World so if one of those is really bad i claim no responsibility)

i feel like if i was gonna pick one out of your list, i'd probably go with gurran lagann fits the best based on what you already like, but if you're looking to branch out a bit more while staying mostly familiar attack on titan and ping pong are both very good and sound within your ball park. so i'm picking 3. there's some good stuff on that list

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh I missed Samurai Champloo on that list, I'll push it and say it's a really good action series. Shirobako and Hyouka are also both extremely good but are chill and slow-paced. Shirobako is my personal fav anime fwiw.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i would not call Shirobako chill, the first half especially is one of the more stressful things i've watched

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
watch hikaru!!!!!!!!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Cowboy Bebop is a classic that's just about mandatory.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Paranoia Agent is a work of art. Be warned it's not as straightforward as a lot of the other shows you've watched, though.

Madoka is one of my favorite anime of all time. Similar to Evangelion it's a darker, more depressing take on its genre.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Those are all generally good, nothing screams drop to me.

Also you should watch FLCL, the greatest anime of all time, next. It's also only 6 eps, so you can knock it out in an afternoon.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you can skip Kill la Kill and not be missing anything you would otherwise see in a good Trigger/Gainax thing like Promare or Panty & Stocking etc. hell you have a bunch of other good Gainax of that era on your list already

MMO Junkie is a decent romcom but the drama and leads get kinda annoying at the end

Wanna Be The Strongest i thought was just an ecchi wrestling thing so kinda depends on what your expectations were of it, and tbf i'm just basing this on watching the premiere back when it aired

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

i would not call Shirobako chill, the first half especially is one of the more stressful things i've watched

Yeah fair, I guess chill in comparison to Samurai Champloo :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

surf rock posted:

Assassination Classroom
Attack on Titan
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Gunbuster and Diebuster
Hikaru no Go
Hyouka
Kill la Kill
Madoka Magica
Paranoia Agent
Ping Pong
Prison School
Samurai Champloo
Shirobako
Watamote

prison school is the trashiest of the trash, but it knows it's trash so you may enjoy that sort of garbage.

kill la kill is a VERY divisive show. it's got a lot of style but it stumbles around like a dog in doggy booties half the time. Definitely second the recommendation that you watch Gurren Lagann instead, that's one of the most popular mecha shows of the last couple decades.

watamote is cringe comedy based around just an unrepentant shut-in loser, but it's a really good one of those, and I genuinely hope they eventually get around to making more seasons in the future because the path the story takes with her growing as a person and fixing her hosed up outlook on life is one of my favorites ever.

gunbuster and diebuster are fantastic, also gunbuster is a pretty important piece in the history of anime and it's only 6 episodes long.

assassination classroom is a really really solid shonen series about an alien teacher who blew up the moon teaching a classroom of kids how to kill him. It's a lot more complicated than that, but hey, dive right in. Very strong throughout and ends well.

Attack on Titan is among my favorite series ever, don't google anything about it, just dive right in. It's a bleak as hell series but really strong throughout. The final season is airing right now so you've picked a good time to watch it.

Cowboy Bebop is, well, it's that series everyone recommends to every newbie anime watcher. Hard to go wrong with, looks great, has great characters, has great english voice acting, the stories are MOSTLY great, it's a bona-fide classic.

FLCL is a trip, it's a coming-of-age sort of story but told in a really outlandish way, another classic. It's short too, so you get it all in a few hours. I hear the sequels aren't good though.

edit: drop kill la kill to low-priority and put Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt in its place, that and gurren lagann are phenomenal gainax shows. English dub is just as good if not better than the japanese dub. It's in the style of Dexter's Lab/Powerpuff Girls type stuff but extremely raunchy. There's also an entire episode that is just a G1 Transformers cartoon reference and it's fantastic.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

those shows are all fine in at least some respect (prison school is complete trash but as others said it knows its trash so its possible to at least have fun with it) but in terms of romcom representation, mmo junkie is ok but i would absolutely replace it with Tada Never Falls In Love or Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy/My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. i know you didnt ask for more stuff on your list but it seemed like a genre that was pretty underrepresented