Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

darkgray posted:

It was also clever to split the problematic first chapter of the novel across the first couple of anime episodes, since this way it might not immediately purge half its potential audience. Ah well, people will still abandon ship eventually, I suppose. At least it got the hook in.

I’ve only read the manga version but do you mean when the dad knocks up the maid or when he proposes to his tutor at the age of like 8 and she seriously considers it?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

So, I hear the MC of Mushoku Tensei is a complete and utter shitbag. How do they get around that to make his story worth following?

does it have to?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Can we not just blast out spoilers to a show that just started?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Davincie posted:

does it have to?

Considering you could accurately describe the first episode as "the horny baby anime" and features the scene where the protagonist excitedly talks about how his new teacher is a little girl specifically using the word "loli", it sure wouldn't hurt.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nitrousoxide posted:

My bad, that stuff does happen really early though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Darth Walrus posted:

So, I hear the MC of Mushoku Tensei is a complete and utter shitbag. How do they get around that to make his story worth following?

Having read the manga, the only real redeeming parts were the occasional reflections on his life as a NEET and his determination to fix the mistakes he made.

It's nowhere near enough to outweigh all the gross sexual stuff though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Considering you could accurately describe the first episode as "the horny baby anime" and features the scene where the protagonist excitedly talks about how his new teacher is a little girl specifically using the word "loli", it sure wouldn't hurt.

I mean, it would certainly be nice to know why goons ITT are getting hyped about a show where the protagonist has this as his inner monologue in the first episode:

https://twitter.com/kickthebeckett/status/1348388570025758720?s=21

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've only seen one person express active enthusiasm for it itt.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it would certainly be nice to know why goons ITT are getting hyped about a show where the protagonist has this as his inner monologue in the first episode:

https://twitter.com/kickthebeckett/status/1348388570025758720?s=21
I assume you're only posting that tweet for the screenshots, but the take attached to them is insanely bad. I don't think anime "incessantly" features this kind of protagonist

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 11, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just like the smug mom

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Liking a series means that you support everything the main character does and thinks. ESPECIALLY if it's at the start of the series before they've undergone character development

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
hopefully people who aren't familiar with whatever this thing is (like I was) can google the title real quick (like I just did), and read a plot summary on wikipedia and figure out pretty quickly whether or not that's something they'd be interested in watching (looked like a big nope to me)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 11, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Liking a series means that you support everything the main character does and thinks. ESPECIALLY if it's at the start of the series before they've undergone character development

From a quick Google, it seems like the girl he's ogling never grows up (because she's a fantasy being in a webnovel) but ends up eventually becoming one of his wives anyway. So, 'middle-schoolers are hot' doesn't seem like something he grows out of, for a start.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

On that note, it was pretty funny seeing the ANN anime guys go on about Tomozaki being incel PUA propaganda while the lady they have handle a lot of LN reporting was tweeting about what she liked about the series.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

As an example: the ressentiment mc was a disgusting and pathetic man, and yet it is very well regarded (winning among multiple prizes, including one for best feminist work), i have no real interest in the isekai nor in learning more of it and am obviously just using it as a soapbox. But to say someone must be good, pleasant or redeemed to have a story worth following is a depressing idea

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Darth Walrus posted:

From a quick Google, it seems like the girl he's ogling never grows up (because she's a fantasy being in a webnovel) but ends up eventually becoming one of his wives anyway. So, 'middle-schoolers are hot' doesn't seem like something he grows out of, for a start.

One of his big "character moments" is when after years of pursuing her, his 15 year-old cousin takes his virginity (he's physically younger than her) and it causes him to be impotent for a time

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Davincie posted:

As an example: the ressentiment mc was a disgusting and pathetic man, and yet it is very well regarded (winning among multiple prizes, including one for best feminist work), i have no real interest in the isekai nor in learning more of it and am obviously just using it as a soapbox. But to say someone must be good, pleasant or redeemed to have a story worth following is a depressing idea

I think there's a difference between Walter White and having an actual pedophile for a MC.

It's actually pretty frustrating that (all the visible) light novels/isekai always have to have at least one aspect of them that's just gross and embarrassing. I know they're largely aiming at the lowest common denominator but they always seem to have some disgusting fetish or war crime/slavery poo poo when it's just completely unnecessary.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 11, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Motto posted:

On that note, it was pretty funny seeing the ANN anime guys go on about Tomozaki being incel PUA propaganda while the lady they have handle a lot of LN reporting was tweeting about what she liked about the series.
said lady also has similarly positive tweets about mushoku tensei, where to some extent she lets the mc's pervertedness slide. dunno how far she's read through, though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nephthys posted:

I think there's a difference between Walter White and having an actual pedophile for a MC.

It's actually pretty frustrating that (all the visible) light novels always have to have at least one aspect of them that's just gross and embarrassing. I know they're largely aiming at the lowest common denominator but they always seem to have some disgusting fetish or war crime/slavery poo poo when it's just completely unnecessary.

The only LN anime i've seen were Baccano and Durarara and those were both cool so LN are good actually.

Like, I guess I don't know which LN adaptions are really the most visible or whatever but I think there's a bigger variety than just stories about how slavery is rad.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nemo2342 posted:

One of his big "character moments" is when after years of pursuing her, his 15 year-old cousin takes his virginity (he's physically younger than her) and it causes him to be impotent for a time

Isn’t that more because she immediately ghosts him afterwards?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Everything Burrito posted:

I wonder what that first episode felt like to people who hadn't read it because knowing what's going to happen next did take some of the impact away. I'm still pretty excited for the rest of the season since I've been looking forward to seeing it all in motion and at least it's been a pretty long while since I read the early parts.

Complete newcomer reporting in! My total sum of knowledge of the series was the short blurb which pitched it as "occult detective meets kid in the country, Youkai are probably involved."

If you want my take on what I assume you're talking about here, IE the bit with the bang, then I believed it for a couple of seconds and thought it was going to be a much grimmer series than it had initially let on, but I realized what was happening in the next scene when the detective dude still had the body intact and offered to dispose of it. I was paying attention, he wasn't going to die when he was killed as long as he still had his head.

First episode was good and I'm probably gonna keep watching it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

Isn’t that more because she immediately ghosts him afterwards?

I mean she does, but I couldn't say if that was ever said to be the whole reason because it ended up being the bridge too far for me and I dropped the manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

I assume you're only posting that tweet for the screenshots, but the take attached to them is insanely bad. I don't think anime "incessantly" features this kind of protagonist

Depends of what you mean by "incessantly," I guess. I mean, they're not super common if you exclude isekai, harems, stuff adapted from VNs, stuff adapted from LNs, and above all stuff adapted from WNs.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Depends of what you mean by "incessantly," I guess. I mean, they're not super common if you exclude isekai, harems, stuff adapted from VNs, stuff adapted from LNs, and above all stuff adapted from WNs.

Yeah I think it's not wrong that there's definitely a certain degree of pervasiveness across the medium, especially the WN/LN adapation stuff, but even outside of WN adaptions I think there's lowkey stuff in the approximate ballpark. Like as an example, it is probably easier to count the number of anime that don't feature one of the protagonists, walking in on another character (usually female) while they're changing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Davincie posted:

There's a vast gulf between a show presenting an unsympathetic protagonist and using that as a starting point to tell a story about self-improvement (like Re:Zero for instance) or falling even further (Breaking Bad, since someone already mentioned that), and what Mushoku Tensei does, which is operating under the assumption making its protagonist act like the most bottom-of-the-barrel otaku shitbag immediately makes him sympathetic to the target audience of bottom-of-the-barrel otaku shitbags and that spending ten minutes on a baby with the mind of a 34 year old internal monologuing about how hot his mom is is comedy gold rather than anything to actually be examined. The tone of the story does not present any awareness that the protagonist is unsympathetic.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Watched the first episode of Ex-Arm. Some obvious issues: there was a mix of 2D and 3D animated characters in the same shots; the music cut out for most of the episode; characters clipped through eachother in the action sequences and I'm not just talking about phasing through the intangible guy; the fight maneuvers were totally nonsensical. Somehow the legit good voice acting made it even worse, just via the juxtaposition. It was so bad. So, incredibly bad. :allears:

I cannot wait to see what it looks like around mid-season :getin:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blockhouse posted:

The truck should have backed up and ran him over again.
I don't know if we can approve more overtime for truck-kun

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Make a thread for Mushoku Tensei if you want to whine about it or you're a coward.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Omnicrom posted:

Complete newcomer reporting in! My total sum of knowledge of the series was the short blurb which pitched it as "occult detective meets kid in the country, Youkai are probably involved."

If you want my take on what I assume you're talking about here, IE the bit with the bang, then I believed it for a couple of seconds and thought it was going to be a much grimmer series than it had initially let on, but I realized what was happening in the next scene when the detective dude still had the body intact and offered to dispose of it. I was paying attention, he wasn't going to die when he was killed as long as he still had his head.

First episode was good and I'm probably gonna keep watching it.

Another newcomer here. It was a good first episode, setting up characters and situations that will be interesting to see play out. Though I will say I didn't need to see that tanuki's rear end kthxbye. :yosbutt:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Just watched So I'm A Spider, So What first episode.

I never knew how much I wanted an anime which is just Aoi Yuuki talking nonstop for 20 minutes straight, and that ED is also just her going insane. Beautiful.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Silver2195 posted:

I think that even if you include all those, they still aren't very common, let alone "incessant"

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

im pretty sure the whole first episode of mushoku tensei would still make perfect sense if you just straight up removed all of the inner monologuing, which is pretty funny. normally novel adaptions struggle with main characters when you're not in their head 24/7, so its pretty wild to watch something where I really wished I couldn't hear him think. the show's gorgeous though, hope that studio springboards off of this into doing something that doesn't suck.

kemono jihen was pretty cool, him wearing the sunglasses over his bangs was weird though, im assuming he's missing that eye or something.

sk8 the infinity is just Rocket Power, to me, and kicks rear end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

it is probably easier to count the number of anime that don't feature one of the protagonists, walking in on another character (usually female) while they're changing.
this gag hasnt been done regularly in like 15 years dog

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

even if you include that stuff hyperpervert protagonists arent actually that common. its like two things a season tops. as proven by the fact that this season, there are maybe two or three things like that. coincidentally they're all isekai.

seriously why do people say poo poo like this. your dad wont love you if you handwring about anime that doesnt exist enough. a few things a year go all in on pandering to otaku because they have a lot of disposable income and cling to things hard. that imo is way more acceptable than half the mainstream western movies that get released are ads for the us military.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 11, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

even if you include that stuff hyperpervert protagonists arent actually that common. its like two things a season tops. as proven by the fact that this season, there are maybe two or three things like that. coincidentally they're all isekai.
The "MC recharges his mana with the power of horny" one isn't actually isekai, it's just fantasy with levels and skills :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tamba posted:

The "MC recharges his mana with the power of horny" one isn't actually isekai, it's just fantasy with levels and skills :v:
native isekai

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Varinn posted:

im pretty sure the whole first episode of mushoku tensei would still make perfect sense if you just straight up removed all of the inner monologuing, which is pretty funny. normally novel adaptions struggle with main characters when you're not in their head 24/7, so its pretty wild to watch something where I really wished I couldn't hear him think. the show's gorgeous though, hope that studio springboards off of this into doing something that doesn't suck.

Spider is like the exact opposite of this, where it fully carries over the internal monologue and yet rules because Aoi Yuuki sells it and the writing's fun.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

One hilariously pathetic MC aside most of the isekai released this season is just really boring, not hyperpervy.

Endorph posted:

seriously why do people say poo poo like this. your dad wont love you if you handwring about anime that doesnt exist enough. a few things a year go all in on pandering to otaku because they have a lot of disposable income and cling to things hard. that imo is way more acceptable than half the mainstream western movies that get released are ads for the us military.
but holy poo poo you do not need to get this defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whos being defensive?