Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you're still hesitant, other great turn-based tactics games that you could have a look at are Invisible, Inc. and Into the Breach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hannibal Rex posted:

If you're still hesitant, other great turn-based tactics games that you could have a look at are Invisible, Inc. and Into the Breach.
I have both, also on GOG. Invisible Inc took a while to get the DLC compared to Steam so I haven't played the expansion.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Control Volume posted:

I havent checked the state of this game in forever, are there any mods and/or updates out there that make keeping a light mech or two in the stable worthwhile? Last time I played was when flashpoint released, for reference.

The Piloting tree now adds a passive Defense bonus so combined with a Defense Gyro and judicious driving, you end up with Lights that have Assault-level EHP.

There's still the firepower issue so the only chassis really worth bringing is the Firestarter, but it can do work.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Control Volume posted:

I havent checked the state of this game in forever, are there any mods and/or updates out there that make keeping a light mech or two in the stable worthwhile? Last time I played was when flashpoint released, for reference.

Conspiratiorist posted:

The Piloting tree now adds a passive Defense bonus so combined with a Defense Gyro and judicious driving, you end up with Lights that have Assault-level EHP.

There's still the firepower issue so the only chassis really worth bringing is the Firestarter, but it can do work.

My preferred mod of choice is the 3025 Commander's Edition. If you go with the SLDF cache start you start with some 2750 lights, and getting a Nighthawk and two Talons really made the lights worthwhile in my most recent game. They're doing more work than even my mediums!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Control Volume posted:

As stated above lights are more endgame viable than they were but given the numbers you face, their firepower is extremely lacking.

That said, there are some new mediums that are absolutely capable of hanging in all endgame scenarios, which with the right pilots will be going before everything anyway so the net effect is the same.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
For sure, the SLDF Phoenix Hawk is insane.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
COIL weapons also make lights more viable longer.

COILs are dumb from a "This makes no sense" standpoint but real cool from a gameplay perspective.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
What the hell, I just did the end campaign flashpoint where you have to fight both Black Widow and some other big shot whose name escapes me and I didn't get ANY ROBBOT BITS :mad:

I killed Atlases, Marauders, Archers and Annihilators, and at the end of the mission my 8/35 salvage just lumped me with a bunch of L LASER ++s. About the only good thing was a couple of heat banks. The flashpoint reward gave me 250k, and a single King Crab bit.

I mean, I was gonna stop after this battle anyways, but ending sat on top of a monster pile of salvage would have been much nicer feeling :(

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Shouldn't have blown up all the good bits?

Unfortunately, the 'Mechs in that fight are all custom and unsalvageable, but their gear isn't and you can definitely get some good gyros and the like as salvage. Although, if you can win against them you can win against anyone.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 21, 2020

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

jng2058 posted:

My preferred mod of choice is the 3025 Commander's Edition. If you go with the SLDF cache start you start with some 2750 lights, and getting a Nighthawk and two Talons really made the lights worthwhile in my most recent game. They're doing more work than even my mediums!

How do I get the SLDF start? I downloaded the mod.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PhotoKirk posted:

How do I get the SLDF start? I downloaded the mod.

It's in the Starting Planet selection when you pick New Career. Scroll past all the various nations and second from the bottom is SLDF Cache, right above Established Company (which lets you start with more mediums if you want to skip the Light phase of the game, but only SLDF gets you the fancy 2750 'mechs).

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ardlen posted:

Shouldn't have blown up all the good bits?

Unfortunately, the 'Mechs in that fight are all custom and unsalvageable, but their gear isn't and you can definitely get some good gyros and the like as salvage. Although, if you can win against them you can win against anyone.

I didn't blow them up, they blew each other up! I just sat on a nearby cliff taking pot shots with UAC-5s and LRMs until there was only a couple left :shobon:

But yeah, I can take pretty much anything now. Marauders with Autocannons that can one shot Assault Mech's heads, combined with the AoE morater cannon thing kind of makes everything trivial.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ardlen posted:

One of the best changes I made to my copy of the game was un-blacklisting all those mechs. They'll show up occasionally on battles now, and it's not only terrifying early on, but it gives you a chance to get decent weapons without being forced to hit up the black market every single game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

I killed Atlases, Marauders, Archers and Annihilators, and at the end of the mission my 8/35 salvage just lumped me with a bunch of L LASER ++s. About the only good thing was a couple of heat banks. The flashpoint reward gave me 250k, and a single King Crab bit.

I mean, I was gonna stop after this battle anyways, but ending sat on top of a monster pile of salvage would have been much nicer feeling :(

anakha posted:

Storyline-wise, the team is also rushing to get the gently caress away after the fight, so it makes a little sense that you're not able to cart away Mech parts as salvage after that particular fight.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
You evacuate missions all the time to escape enemy forces, why is it this time this suddenly prevents retrieving salvage?

At the end of the day, players expect big rewards from big fights, denying that due to sudden bursts of plot realism, or technical issues relating to the fact that the enemy mechs are “special” breaks that promise, which sucks. It’s made worse by the fact you get no cash reward, the big salvage is the prize, and you just get a pile of crap.

It’s not the end of the world or anything, it just spoiled the big finale of the DLC a bit is all.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The big salvage for that DLC is the Bull Shark, they just give it to you early.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

binge crotching posted:

One of the best changes I made to my copy of the game was un-blacklisting all those mechs. They'll show up occasionally on battles now, and it's not only terrifying early on, but it gives you a chance to get decent weapons without being forced to hit up the black market every single game.

Woah. How do you do that?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

GD_American posted:

Allying with different factions gets you access to their faction store, and each is a different specialty,. I highly, highly, highly suggest allying with Canopus early, as their faction store gets the best lasers (and I think gyros). Medium Laser ++ (+10 damage) is quite possibly the most powerful weapon in the game.
Is there some documentation about what the faction shops offer?

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Nektu posted:

Is there some documentation about what the faction shops offer?

some ancient reddit poo poo posted:

Davion has ACs and the UACs.
Kurita has every kind of PPC except ER PPC.
Liao has SRMs and Infernos.
Magistracy has standard ++/+++ medium and large lasers, and it has gyros.
Marik has LRMs (stability/crit, not damage), NARCs and cockpits.
Steiner has LB-X ACs, Flamers, and melee actuators
Taurian has +++TTS, which are the 1-ton +3 variant, and ++/+++ small lasers

Black market and SLDF tagged worlds are the only places you can find pulse and ER lasers, with standard versions only available on standard SLDF worlds, + versions only available on SLDF Adv worlds, and ++ versions only on black market and SLDF Adv worlds.

Due to various typos (literally capitalization typos) the black market shops can not spawn ++large pulse lasers, and can not spawn parts for the SLDF Black Knight or Highlander.

"Documentation"

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

Woah. How do you do that?

There is a mechdef file for every mech, and the ones that have a blacklisted tag won't show up and aren't salvageable. Same with any weapons/equipment with that tag. If you create a mod you can then put the updated files in the mod directory, and not mess with your base game.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Toozler posted:

"Documentation"
:shrug:

thats usually as good as it gets :)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I just did the Liberation: Itrom campaign mission, which is the one with three bases on the map, you can surprise the guards at each one, and you get 4 rounds to take out all the defenders at a particular base before they blow up the ore silos.

Mission went fine, but afterwards the campaign hadn't moved on. My only option was to do the same Liberation: Itrom mission that I'd just done. I did it again, just in case, and same thing. The campaign seems stuck. Is this a known bug and is there any way to fix it? Don't really want to abandon my entire campaign :/

edit:

quote:

Due to various typos (literally capitalization typos) the black market shops can not spawn ++large pulse lasers, and can not spawn parts for the SLDF Black Knight or Highlander.
Is this fixable my modifying the game files? And if so, which ones?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 2, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Isn't there a bug fix mod that fixes all the errors in the json files?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol an ac10 didn't puncture my armor and blew up the xl engine on a mech anyway, so be careful using your own late timeline mechs with those in bexce

e: The machine shop seems to be bugged in the newest version too, I can't combine anything together anymore

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 2, 2021

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

been playing back through career mode with all dlc since i originally did the campaign at release. pretty fun, and I got myself an early atlas which of course carried, and I'm working on getting my MAD-2R into the perfect headshotting machine

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

McGavin posted:

Isn't there a bug fix mod that fixes all the errors in the json files?

Cfixes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just allied with both halves of fedcom and now I just have two lances of backup mechs each mission so I win, I guess :v:

E: also got an upgraded Orion and lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 3, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Got a PM asking for a link to my SLDF Incoming mod, which reminded me that I meant to put out a new version of that like 6 months ago. But I'd moved to a different game and kinda forgot about it. Sorry!

SLDF_Incoming, version b

If you were using the previous version, delete your old SLDF_Incoming mod folder then install this one.

Changes:
• fixed the bug that prevented the Crab from salvaging
• in Bonus.zip there are now itemcollection files that add the DLC SLDF mechs (crab & phoenix) and my two bonus SLDF mechs to stores. (If you want the stores without the bonus mechs, just extract the itemcollections folder without the bonus folder.)
• techy modding thing: I added the tag "lance_is_sldf" to all the SLDF lances. If you are using MissionControl you can use this to remove the SLDF lances from the pool that MissionControl will draw from, using MC's lanceExcludedTagSet definition.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nice.

I'm playing Cyberpunk now, but after that will probably start a new Battletech game with minimal mods after that because why not.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Did a 2.5 skull mission in month 2 and had to fight an intact Cyclops Q

First shot from my Hunchback's AC20 decapitated it.

Not even a called shot.

:stare: :laffo:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 9, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had an AC-20 on a barely-armored medium mech do the same to a Warhammer. Whatever RNG magic came up, it was a perfect headshot as I was jumping from cover to cover and suddenly the cover was no longer relevant :laffo:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I used a jumpy backstabber/decapitator AC/20 Wolverine for a huge part of midgame. Complete feast or famine Mech, tho.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

And that's why you take more salvage instead of more money.

Now one of my stupid newbie pilots has a 90 ton assault mech* the day after they were driving some 40 ton shitbox.

*A medicre one, but still.

A true double reverse :xcom:

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Renegade HPG is posting remastered episodes of the Battletech Cartoon.

It's an over the top spergfest and... I like it?

I mean, when I was a kid I didn't care about characters or story. I needed to know the tonnage and armor factor of a Wolfhound, which they provide.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I always liked the cgi better than the cartoon. The cgi was awful, like not even as good as reboot, but it was all i wanted. Stompy robits going pewpew

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I reinstalled Roguetech and as much as I want to love it, the AI is unbelievably slow now for some reason, like I literally got up and made a sandwich while waiting for my turn to come back around.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Lazyhound posted:

I reinstalled Roguetech and as much as I want to love it, the AI is unbelievably slow now for some reason, like I literally got up and made a sandwich while waiting for my turn to come back around.

I read somewhere that there's some delay hardcoded in to the base game that can't be bypassed so the more units on a map the longer it takes. I found it unplayable after trying out the very first fight and just uninstalled it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

Roguetech is a sloppy mess both technically and in terms of everything else.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think I modded my game for maximum mood swings lol.

Hard enemy force difficulty + SLDF incoming = :tviv: enemy lances just often enough to keep you on your toes.

Panic System mod means sometimes they eject and give you full salvage BUT ALSO sometimes your top pilot in your only assault mech decides to :byewhore: after eating too many salvos even though they're still mission capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

I think I modded my game for maximum mood swings lol.

Hard enemy force difficulty + SLDF incoming = :tviv: enemy lances just often enough to keep you on your toes.

Panic System mod means sometimes they eject and give you full salvage BUT ALSO sometimes your top pilot in your only assault mech decides to :byewhore: after eating too many salvos even though they're still mission capable.

With Bexce this hasn't been as broken as I thought it'd be because usually the mech's too banged up anyway to get more than a couple parts (it changes it from head/torso/legs/core to structure damage overall in some way), so two mission for a mech minimum anyway. I had an enemy pilot eject and the mech was so chewed up it didn't even show up as salvageable lol