Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm moving from a chest freezer to a standup freezer, and cleaning out the chest freezer was like a BBQ time warp. Random vac-sealed BBQ goodness going back 10 years were popping up. They're vac-sealed, so they're as good as the day I froze them and the only casualty was a rack of ribs. I find ribs hard to seal and keep nice, as the bones tend to rupture the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Unless you are looking for cheap imitations or down right counterfeits of an item, don’t buy from Amazon. I’ve received dupes of items sold/shipped from Amazon themselves

yeah sadly if I'm cheapo dickbag company and I send amazon a bunch of "samsung totally legit headphones" they just stack em in their samsung headphone pile and sell from the mixed inventory at the warehouse, when I sell the 10 I send they just say I'm out of stock. I also get lots of stuff that's "close enough" because the warehouse jockey gives no shits and needs to label 635 items an hour or get fired. Pain is good Habanero Hot sauce, / Pain is Good BBQ Habanero hot sauce close enough, magnetic calendar vs magnetic chore chart.. close enough.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

ZombieCrew posted:

Are you in Europe? (hence the ukrainian interference)

Id just grab that part number and google any nearby retailers for it or maybe try ordering direct.

No, USA. The resellers business addresses are in the Ukraine. Also, they all have the similar “Iron Range” spiel in their business description. I suspect that they buy up what is available and have the goods shipped to US warehouses, and at that point gouge/relist. If they do not sell at the gouge price, they can always return to amazon with the free returns option.
https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B01AQH636Q&isAmazonFulfilled=0&ref_=olp_merch_name_4&seller=AG5JV035JW4PV

Hah, amazon has the for $318 this AM. Wonder how long that will last.

edit: wife did place the order a couple days ago when it popped up at $298

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 11, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Stringent posted:

Yeah I'm making NC style BBQ out of it. It is labeled as 肩ロース which means shoulder roast. It's a lot leaner than a butt, but it comes out well enough, that fat cap goes a long way to keeping it moist.

Weird. I am not all that learned in anatomy, but have broken down a number of big game animals. Really curious what specific muscle that is, or if asian pigs have really long shoulders. :)

Canuckistan posted:

I'm moving from a chest freezer to a standup freezer, and cleaning out the chest freezer was like a BBQ time warp. Random vac-sealed BBQ goodness going back 10 years were popping up. They're vac-sealed, so they're as good as the day I froze them and the only casualty was a rack of ribs. I find ribs hard to seal and keep nice, as the bones tend to rupture the bag.

I love popping presmoked stuff into the puddle and then a quick char.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 11, 2021

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

Weird. I am not all that learned in anatomy, but have broken down a number of big game animals. Really curious what specific muscle that is, or if asian pigs have really long shoulders. :)

That's 100% a loin.

BBQ is done with a 1 or 2, you have a 3:

1. かた/肩 /kata/ shoulder
  2. かたロース/ kata rosu/ shoulder blade
  3. ロース /rosu/loin

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 11, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah sorry, I really don't know. Here's what comes up googling it in Japanese, the circled bit is allegedly what it is:

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

toplitzin posted:

That's 100% a loin.

1. かた/肩 /kata/ shoulder
  3. ロース /rosu/loin

Also called "backstrap" on game animals.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

toplitzin posted:

That's 100% a loin.

1. かた/肩 /kata/ shoulder
  3. ロース /rosu/loin

Says 肩ロース on the label. vOv

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

ZombieCrew posted:

Also called "backstrap" on game animals.

Which can be really large.
And yummy.

Stringent posted:

Says 肩ロース on the label. vOv

Well, I think we can all agree it is long pork. :ohdear:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Anyone have any recs for a non-traditional rub/sauce for ribs? Was going to smoke up a couple racks this week and want to try something that's not the standard American barbecue fare.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

dy. posted:

Anyone have any recs for a non-traditional rub/sauce for ribs? Was going to smoke up a couple racks this week and want to try something that's not the standard American barbecue fare.

Char siu or sweet Thai chili sauces

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

nwin posted:

Yep-I had the Bluetooth version for a while and agree with everything said. If I left my phone within Bluetooth range and tried to keep the app open, the graph would work. However it will still randomly time out and the graph would reset.

I’ve moved on to a FireBoard, but I see they make a WiFi version for $100 called the IBBQ-4T, so I wonder if that’s any better.

Also-if you look at the smokingmeat.com forums, inkbird was in there all the time giving discount codes out, so they might bring the price down if they still do that.

For me it's a case of $80 for the Inkbird or $375 for the 4 channel Thermoworks Smoke. I don't know if the price difference matches the performance.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

dy. posted:

https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/orange-sauce/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fall Dog posted:

For me it's a case of $80 for the Inkbird or $375 for the 4 channel Thermoworks Smoke. I don't know if the price difference matches the performance.

I’m not too familiar with the smoke, but if you mainly care about temp accuracy and the ability to track it on your phone while within range, the inkbird is fine. I routinely compared it next to my thermoworks dot and my FireBoard and the temps were very close.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dy. posted:

https://nationalpost.com/life/food/cook-this-satay-of-baby-back-ribs-with-peanut-sauce-from-flavors-of-the-southeast-asian-grill

this guy also has some good smoker recipes, here's a collection of rib recipes:

https://meatwave.com/collections/smoked-pork-ribs-recipes

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hasselblad posted:

Well, I think we can all agree it is long pork. :ohdear:

Never forget:

icehewk posted:

Been aging this according to Ruhlman. It had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out as you can see. Is it all right?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
What the hell is this

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
A human leg aged according to Ruhlman

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Speaking of legs, I picked up some 'fresh' turkey legs. Curious if anyone has general advice or tips before I just yolo this.

EDIT: So looks like I need to brine these bad boys for 24 hours. I've got 3lbs of turkey leg here and I remember you guys talking about being very specific about how much salt to use. Suggestions on brine/salt quantity. I know someone posted a bine calculator.

sterster fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 13, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gorgeous weather for January, so figured I'd take advantage and give the new Thermoworks Smoke a try. Wish I could get bone in butts at Costco more regularly though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

sterster posted:

Speaking of legs, I picked up some 'fresh' turkey legs. Curious if anyone has general advice or tips before I just yolo this.

EDIT: So looks like I need to brine these bad boys for 24 hours. I've got 3lbs of turkey leg here and I remember you guys talking about being very specific about how much salt to use. Suggestions on brine/salt quantity. I know someone posted a bine calculator.

A few pages back, around Christmas time, someone posted a link for smoked turkey leg as done at Disneyland/world. I don't know if you've ever had a Disney Park Turkey smoked leg but they are really, really good.

If I were you I would do that.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The brine calculator is for adding nitrates to your food to preserve it and make things like corned beef. If you're just using regular salt to brine for 24 hours you don't need to be exact.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Smoked my first pork shoulder this week:

It was probably too cold to be smoking and at one point I think my smoker shut off (maybe a 24 hour cutoff?) which cost me several hours (meat stayed at safe temperature). Ended up running a little over 30 hours total, which seems way too long. It stalled for several hours just shy of 170, which I guess is normal but it took a really long time. Pulled the shoulder at 200 degrees and rested it for an hour. I think it came out pretty good. Ever so slightly drier than I had hoped but not enough to complain about. Made some rookie mistakes like forgetting to put a drip deflector over the water bowl so I lost my drips and didn't much vapor out of the water. Overall, the meat came out pretty tasty though!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
30 hours? Wow. Next time that happens consider giving up on the smoker and just foiling it to finish in the oven. Bark is good, but supper on time is better.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Canuckistan posted:

30 hours? Wow. Next time that happens consider giving up on the smoker and just foiling it to finish in the oven. Bark is good, but supper on time is better.

Yeah I was done applying smoke after a few hours so oven was probably the way to go at that point. Oh well live and learn.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had the opposite experience where a brisket finished in 8.5 when I was expecting 10-12. The sides weren't even close to finished.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

um excuse me posted:

I've had the opposite experience where a brisket finished in 8.5 when I was expecting 10-12. The sides weren't even close to finished.

Butcher paper, foil, towel, cooler.

You can keep it warm for hours that way. A lot better to get done early than to get done late.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Trastion posted:

Butcher paper, foil, towel, cooler.

yes 100% aim to get your brisket done early intead of on the dot.. it'll keep for a long itme in a small cooler wrapped in paper and a towel.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 15, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Why butcher paper + foil over foil alone?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
With my last brisket I wrapped it in foil, in a towel, and in a cooler for as long as it would stay, and finally hit 120°F eight hours later. This brisket was going right into the freezer, I wouldn't recommend going below 140 otherwise.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Tossed a bunch of pounds of belly into the maple brine, and tossed a brisket point on the smoker this AM.
What temp is a decent target for the point? My probe is still on the fritz, so have to go poke it every so often with an instant-read.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hasselblad posted:

Tossed a bunch of pounds of belly into the maple brine, and tossed a brisket point on the smoker this AM.
What temp is a decent target for the point? My probe is still on the fritz, so have to go poke it every so often with an instant-read.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Ended up foiling it around 160, tossing in the oven with a quiche at 190ish and pulled about 15 minutes later. Holy hell it is good. I truly wish I could just by whole points without the flat. Like not the flat entirely trimmed from the point, but like how I simply chopped the point end completely off with the excess flat still attached underneath. Flats, shmlats, give me a point!

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Hasselblad posted:

Ended up foiling it around 160, tossing in the oven with a quiche at 190ish and pulled about 15 minutes later. Holy hell it is good. I truly wish I could just by whole points without the flat. Like not the flat entirely trimmed from the point, but like how I simply chopped the point end completely off with the excess flat still attached underneath. Flats, shmlats, give me a point!

I used to have a butcher where I could ask for X pounds from the point and they would cut it just like you described. It was glorious.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hasselblad posted:

You could maybe try your hand at corned beef or pastrami with the flats if you wanna buy a whole one and cut it yourself.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

ZombieCrew posted:

You could maybe try your hand at corned beef or pastrami with the flats if you wanna buy a whole one and cut it yourself.

Did pastrami with the flat end of this brisket. It was OKish, but pound for pound I wish it had been one giant point.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Hasselblad posted:

I truly wish I could just by whole points without the flat. Like not the flat entirely trimmed from the point, but like how I simply chopped the point end completely off with the excess flat still attached underneath. Flats, shmlats, give me a point!
Fuckin' a, right? My grocery stores here have just flats all the time, not even full briskets, just flats. Who the hell wants flats and what are you doing with the best part of the brisket? Assholes.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hey Goons With Spooners, I got a small ceramic kamado grill for Christmas!

I've really never used one of these, and the instruction material isn't super useful.

I'm an extreme newbie to this, so I don't know what the best "beginners meat" is for smoking and/or grilling. Does anyone have any tips, advice, recipes I can use to get started?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Congrats on your mini.

Best beginner meat is pork shoulder (aka pork butt) for use in pulled pork. It's extremely forgiving to temperature changes and requires minimal supervision once it's started.

I always refer to amazingribs.com for recipes since everything I've tried there has been, well, amazing.

Pulled pork takes anywhere from 12 to 20 hours to smoke. So people typically do them overnight using some sort of alarm based temperature probe.

Here's Amazing Ribs' master list of how tos:

https://amazingribs.com/bbq-technique-and-science/how-to-grill-and-smoke-everything

And their pulled pork recipe:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/perfect-pulled-pork-recipe

Definitely let us know how it goes and what you end up doing.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Kamado tips: only use lump charcoal, not briquettes. Don’t use lighter fluid to light it. Use a charcoal chimney or wax paper or something. Let it heat up to your desired cooking temp for like 30mins to an hour prior to cooking on it, or you’ll have some wild transient temps. Close off the vents when you’re done, it’ll save your extra charcoal.