Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna see Gobbet since I took Is0bel myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats just bau1, theres 5 other tones and like 12 other meanings

Plus even if it were 包, it can also mean bag or envelope.

Voting for Gobbet, talking to the dead seems tempting.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Gobbet.
Each party member provides a unique path in and we're likely to see plenty is is0bel over the course of the game.

Besides, is0bel's description of the place makes me think she doesn't want to go back.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gobbet for being my favorite party member in any CRPG ever.

Kindly Cheng is wonderful and I love her but yes, as an actual human being, she'd be terrifying.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Voting for Gobbet since I used Is0bel when I played this.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PMush Perfect posted:

Gobbet for being my favorite party member in any CRPG ever.

Seconding this vote for the same reason.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Gobbet. Is0bel has made her feelings clear and let's play nice.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 23, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Kindly Cheng is about as decent as you can get for being an upper/middle-management type for a triad. Which means she's mostly fair but still terrifying.

She got along with my PC pretty quick, IIRC, I didn't challenge her and was a stone cold badass.

Bring Gobbet, Is0bel grew up in the walled city and would prefer not to go back.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Seconding G0bbet.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kobal2 posted:

Also, voting Gobbet because I always wind up bringing Izzie (which is not a very nice thing to do)

If this is true let's not be a total rear end in a top hat, let's bring Gobbet.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats just bau1, theres 5 other tones and like 12 other meanings

its like meeting a dude named Do and saying that hes named after poo. Yeah you can say doodoo

People refer to Scooby Doo with poo poo jokes all the time. :confused:

Servetus posted:

Gobbet. Is0bel has made her feelings clear and let's play nice.

This. Shin grew up in the Redmond Barrens but that doesn't mean she would want to play tour guide if the shoe was on the other foot.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
I did Is0bel on my playthrough, so I've voting Gobbet this time around.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

No vote from me but I'll note that there's plenty of times in SRHK where you genuinely don't need a decker and so there's no particular advantage in leaving Is0bel behind; the risk is that you often have to make a guess beforehand on whether that'll be true or not.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Bring Gobbet, Is0bel grew up in the walled city and would prefer not to go back.

Yeah this, voting Gobbet

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The problem with that is that it's really guesswork as to whether leaving the Decker behind is the case. And given that money is problematic, it's a risk with real consequence.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Keldulas posted:

The problem with that is that it's really guesswork as to whether leaving the Decker behind is the case. And given that money is problematic, it's a risk with real consequence.
Like I said before, a fan mod was literally the one Shadowrun thing that was kind enough to go "yeah, you probably won't need a decker for this graveyard haunt".

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Gobbet :)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Kanfy posted:

[She closes her eyes and smiles with pleasure.]

That boy was my favorite. He sang to me sometimes.

Reminder that a nightjar sounds like this: https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/nightjar/ Interesting taste Auntie has.

As for voting, it's clear the way the wind is blowing anyway, I vote for Is0bel, because while I see your point that she might not want to go back, she also knows the area, and and I feel less bad about Gobbet being put to humiliating tasks than I do Izzy, because it looks like Gobbet is more used to that sort of thing. Also, steamrolls are no fun.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
We can probably call it here, Is0bel will be staying home polishing the parlor toilets or whatever for Kindly Cheng while Gobbet will be joining us in our hell slum tour. No doubt much to look forward to for everyone involved.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 11, 2021

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

KataraniSword posted:

This. Shin grew up in the Redmond Barrens but that doesn't mean she would want to play tour guide if the shoe was on the other foot.

And consider this : the Redmond Barrens are a day spa compared to Kowloon Walled City.
Hell, the fictional Redmond Barrens are a day spa compared to *historical* KWC.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah sure the historical KWC was a horrifying unsanitary crime-ridden sardine can of a fire trap, but it was apparently a good place to get great deals on dental work by less-than-licensed dentists!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Okay hold on

KWC is real?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Oh my god. Yes. Well, it was real.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City

quote:

Kowloon Walled City was an ungoverned, densely populated de jure Chinese enclave within the boundaries of Kowloon City, Hong Kong. Originally a Chinese military fort, the walled city became an enclave after the New Territories were leased to the UK by China in 1898.
Demolished: 1994

poisonpill fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 12, 2021

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
For a while it held the record for most densely populated area ever. It probably still does.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

I dont know posted:

For a while it held the record for most densely populated area ever. It probably still does.

It definitely still does in Shadowrun, they never tore it down in that timeline and poo poo only got worse.

Notable for Shadowrunners as a useful place to go if you're really out of options. The dozens of Triad gangs that rule the place are always happy to hire on mercs against each other, and the airport has been converted into in open air bazar where anything can be bought and sold.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 12, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the nature of how theres a kwc is actually very spoilery, we should prolly not talk about it

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Speaking of that airport (not necessarily related to Shadowrun, but still somewhat relevant, and thank you for the excellent LP as always Kanfy), the KWC used to be directly under the approach path of one of the most terrifying airports in the world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58H00AqfJ0

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Look up photos from the real KWC. Its good inspiration for Cyberpunk squalor/hyperdensity.

(Thats a small temple at the bottom, IIRC)

The water and electrical utilities were an unfathomable and untraceable mess.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Stroth posted:

and the airport has been converted into in open air bazar

Which means the only restriction on impromptu building ("no more than 14 stories high because you're right under final approach. This is the only rule or building code we will ever try to enforce, go nuts") has been removed. Lovely.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

KWC itself has been razed and turned into a park, there's a couple things left for the historical value of one of the most extreme slums on the planet by a number of measures, but it's just a park now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If you want to see some real aeronautical insanity look for videos of planes landing at Kai Tak. You basically flew directly at a mountaintop and then hauled over in a hard right turn; if you had the runway in sight better hope you line up fast so you can put it down, otherwise go around and do it again. Not turning was not an option. And just to make it fun, no overshoots allowed, because then you're in the harbor. And it's a busy airport (peak was ~36 planes taking off or landing per hour) and because it was for a busy city, we're talking big jets, too.

Once you've landed of course, you might want to leave: Well, taking off was basically dodging mountains at 1600 feet, so a real thrill a minute ride in or out of that place.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Alacron posted:

Okay hold on

KWC is real?

Oh yes. As hellholes go, it was probably one of the most hell-like on Earth. Look it up some time, you're in for a wild ride.

Imagine if you will the bastard offspring of a 60s housing project and a favela. Now make it answer to three, and only three rules :
- no building higher than 14 stories (because of the aforementioned Come On You Apes, Do You Wanna Live Forever ?! airport landing approach)
- no sprawling or spilling outside of the strict perimeter of the old fort.
- it must house infinity poor people.

The first two rules would probably have been enforced with artillery (the colonial British were in control, you understand).

As a result, the Walled City developed like a concrete cancer sore designed by MC Escher while in a depressive, nihilistic boozing relationship with a Cthulhu cultist. Well, I say designed - maybe in the 60s when construction began there might could have been plans drawn, actual architects at work and everything. Over time however... well, people make adjustments. A lot of them. Or build bridges and overpasses to see their family who lives across the street, a street so wide you can touch both walls. With your shoulders. Honestly you couldn't tell whether it was a street or just another hallway in a rabbit hole of infinite decaying hallways. Or just build a 14 story high, high density housing building out of trash and corrugated iron because gently caress it.

You could traverse the whole thing north to south or east to west on the rooftops without having to parkour at all.
Living conditions in there... well, start with "insalubrious by dog standards" and mad cackle your way up to 11 from that. Pipes and wires everywhere, the occasional giant fire killing hundreds because what's a fire escape lol, walls crumbling down and being shored up ad hoc every day... And naturally, gently caress "regular people" going in there or trying to enforce a law or chase people down in a place that's like 90% blind corners and where everybody packs a meat cleaver for self defence. The authorities basically just struggled to keep the monster contained.

So that was the Walled City in our reality.
Now imagine it in Shadowrun's world, where things like toxic city spirits exist and raw human misery or pollution manifest a physical shape once in a while to savage a motherfucker ; there's a zombie plague going around ; sewer rats might start belching magic acid ; people who can affort to eat Oops All Industrial Waste Nutripaste(tm) are considered swanky ; and drug addicts are actually in self-contained VRs that may or may not be beaming the psyche of a serial rapist in his death throes on the electric chair or something fun like that straight into their prefrontal cortex.

I can't blame Is0bel not being real hot on going back there. Hell I wouldn't blame her if she got into a back-and-forth rocking fugue state at the mere idea.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Psion posted:

If you want to see some real aeronautical insanity look for videos of planes landing at Kai Tak. You basically flew directly at a mountaintop and then hauled over in a hard right turn;

Assuming you came in perfectly it was a 47° turn done at below six hundred feet. Which you had to do by eye because standard aircraft instrumentation will absolutely not handle a turn like that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kobal2 posted:

Oh yes. As hellholes go, it was probably one of the most hell-like on Earth. Look it up some time, you're in for a wild ride.

I can't blame Is0bel not being real hot on going back there. Hell I wouldn't blame her if she got into a back-and-forth rocking fugue state at the mere idea.

Nonsense, going home is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amR6-neQBPE

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Look up photos from the real KWC. Its good inspiration for Cyberpunk squalor/hyperdensity.

(Thats a small temple at the bottom, IIRC)

The water and electrical utilities were an unfathomable and untraceable mess.

These look like paintings to me. I know they're real, but my brain almost refuses to acknowledge them as real.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kobal2 posted:

So that was the Walled City in our reality.
Now imagine it in Shadowrun's world, where things like toxic city spirits exist and raw human misery or pollution manifest a physical shape once in a while to savage a motherfucker ; there's a zombie plague going around ; sewer rats might start belching magic acid ; people who can affort to eat Oops All Industrial Waste Nutripaste(tm) are considered swanky ; and drug addicts are actually in self-contained VRs that may or may not be beaming the psyche of a serial rapist in his death throes on the electric chair or something fun like that straight into their prefrontal cortex.

Yeah. There is nothing lovely in our world that the Awakening can't make shittier. That's really all you need to know going in. At its best it was the slum to end all slums, and its best was in the 1960s, about a century ago and well before magic re-emerged.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Alacron posted:

These look like paintings to me. I know they're real, but my brain almost refuses to acknowledge them as real.

My aunt (that I live with) and uncle grew up in the shadows of the actual Kowloon Walled City in (I think) Mong Kok with my great grandmother in the 50s and 60s. I’d ask her for stories of the place, but she was warned to avoid the area, and for very good reason.

Stroth posted:

Assuming you came in perfectly it was a 47° turn done at below six hundred feet. Which you had to do by eye because standard aircraft instrumentation will absolutely not handle a turn like that.

Yeah, there’s a couple of reasons why the current HK International Airport is on an outlying island, and this is one of them.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GhostStalker posted:

I’d ask her for stories of the place, but she was warned to avoid the area, and for very good reason.

Legally KWC was Chinese territory and Hong Kong law enforcement had no jurisdiction there. And of course Chinese law enforcement was not allowed in Hong Kong. When people say that it was lawless they are being entirely literal.