Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Most games would have a really long slow explainer saying what everything is and why rain is scary etc this just drops you in the thick of it then suddenly you're being chased by a gigantic shadow tar monster and what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, its pretty much Calvinball.

I have like 6 or 7 hours in but I can’t ever sneak past the rainy ghosts things and keep getting drug down to hell. All I wanna do is ride my motorcycle around and leave ropes all over the place.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm in episode 2, I would be farther along, but I keep doing more things in Hades. Game is loving weird, soundtrack rules. Seriously, it's a joy every time a song comes on while you're running around. BTs are very unsettling, I'm hoping they end up like the fire guys in MGSV where they are more of a nuisance than poo poo that's gonna give me nightmares.
I wish I would have bought the game at launch...

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
My recent game purchase was Snowrunner. It allows a ton more customization and variety than it's predecessors Mudrunner and Spintires. I've got about 90 hours in it over the last month and without a lot of interest in sim games prior to this.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Davethulhu posted:

My recent game purchase was Snowrunner. It allows a ton more customization and variety than it's predecessors Mudrunner and Spintires. I've got about 90 hours in it over the last month and without a lot of interest in sim games prior to this.

Man, I keep forgetting about that game, I might have to pick it up next time Epic gives a $10 off coupon. I love janky car games, I got my brother into My Summer Car, it's funny listen to him bitch about it, he won't stop playing though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I dislike fishing in Stardew Valley. It is my least favorite thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
You don't have to do much of it, unless you're trying to be a completist.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

death stranding is so good

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

if you have the means to play it, ps4 or pc then grab it on sale for reals.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

GD_American posted:

You don't have to do much of it, unless you're trying to be a completist.

I'm trying to wrap up the community center. Just tuna, tilapia, woodskip, and that drat tiger trout left and I can leave it alone for a while.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Good loving lord, Death Stranding is really well done. Like, more impressive than Cyberpunk. Much more impressive. Not as flashy in super-UHD Detail and HDR-gimmicks or whatever, but it just feels extremely-real.
The mechanics are crazy, I didn't think just walking across terrain would impress me.

What absolutely blew my mind was the first "real" interaction with the BTs after the incinerator quest. I'm not sure if there was a way to get out of there without loving up, but it sure did feel like I hosed up, and the resulting encounter triggered the most intense emotional interaction in a video game that I...think I've ever had.
Christ, I was mashing my keyboard and scrambling to get away from the excruciatingly-terrifying horrors. I don't think I've ever seen anything this loving well-done in a game.

I'm on "Amelie" now, I think, and while the cut-scenes are really well done, I'm kinda hoping the game "begins" now and let's me actually do some poo poo of my own.

I've also fully embraced not knowing what the gently caress, and no one can tell me Kojima didn't watch Buckaroo Banzai.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

he def has and has referred to it before in games, dude is a movie freak

also you got some time before things get less talky

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2t8pHCbVFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwkh1TEbmyM

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

death stranding has the best soundtrack

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Good loving lord, Death Stranding is really well done. Like, more impressive than Cyberpunk. Much more impressive. Not as flashy in super-UHD Detail and HDR-gimmicks or whatever, but it just feels extremely-real.
The mechanics are crazy, I didn't think just walking across terrain would impress me.

What absolutely blew my mind was the first "real" interaction with the BTs after the incinerator quest. I'm not sure if there was a way to get out of there without loving up, but it sure did feel like I hosed up, and the resulting encounter triggered the most intense emotional interaction in a video game that I...think I've ever had.
Christ, I was mashing my keyboard and scrambling to get away from the excruciatingly-terrifying horrors. I don't think I've ever seen anything this loving well-done in a game.

I'm on "Amelie" now, I think, and while the cut-scenes are really well done, I'm kinda hoping the game "begins" now and let's me actually do some poo poo of my own.

I've also fully embraced not knowing what the gently caress, and no one can tell me Kojima didn't watch Buckaroo Banzai.

The music kicking in the moment you get out of range from the incinerator BTs was the 2nd best music usage I've ever had in a game. It's such an atmospheric game and I love every minute of it. I'm 60+ hours in and still in the 3rd chapter because i've been having so much fun running around planning delivery routes and becoming a master courier.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Brute Squad posted:

death stranding has the best soundtrack

The music kicking in the moment you get out of range from the incinerator BTs was the 2nd best music usage I've ever had in a game. It's such an atmospheric game and I love every minute of it. I'm 60+ hours in and still in the 3rd chapter because i've been having so much fun running around planning delivery routes and becoming a master courier.

Yeah, I had aaaalmost the same experience. "Almost" because I was still shaking from the BT enounter and the fresh horrors the game gratuitously ladled on me with the loving whale.
The music afterwards was therapeutic as hell, though.

I just made it to Lake Knot City and reconnected some "preppers" (?), so I think this is already Episode 3. I'm only 18 hours in and just had a heartbreaking moment.
On my way back after rescuing a server from a mule camp, I walked up on what I thought was two mules patrolling, so I panic-bolad the first and cold-clocked the second before booking it to the safezone nearby.

Turns out they were some random NPC porters and now I was docked 3,000 likes. :(

However, since I still don't fully understand the mechanics of this game, I have no clue what the consequences are, since it doesn't appear to be affecting likes from Quest NPCs or likes I gave or received from other players?
Game owns incredibly, but I'm still very confused.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

likes arent like anything outside of lore and I think theres a couple achievements. read the emails to see why they're in the game, and just rapid tap to like everyone and everything because its hilarious and a goof and the lore reason is 100% perfect and 100% kojima

also just be glad that you didnt run over and kill a porter and be forced to incinerate them

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Worst thing I ever did to a fellow porter was leave them hanging when they waved at me or offered me free boots.

Get them likes, make strands, get more likes when other Sams like your stuff and strand to you.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, I had aaaalmost the same experience. "Almost" because I was still shaking from the BT enounter and the fresh horrors the game gratuitously ladled on me with the loving whale.
The music afterwards was therapeutic as hell, though.

I just made it to Lake Knot City and reconnected some "preppers" (?), so I think this is already Episode 3. I'm only 18 hours in and just had a heartbreaking moment.
On my way back after rescuing a server from a mule camp, I walked up on what I thought was two mules patrolling, so I panic-bolad the first and cold-clocked the second before booking it to the safezone nearby.

Turns out they were some random NPC porters and now I was docked 3,000 likes. :(

However, since I still don't fully understand the mechanics of this game, I have no clue what the consequences are, since it doesn't appear to be affecting likes from Quest NPCs or likes I gave or received from other players?
Game owns incredibly, but I'm still very confused.

I remember that server mission. I almost did the exact same thing. They were definitely staring down my bolo gun for a few seconds until i realized i wasn't hearing the MULE music. You're in the same region I am. I'm just taking my time and grinding out stars in areas before I move on.

My first whale (I think i called them a poo poo shrimp the first time I saw them) fight was on the way to the wind farm in the 1st area. Thank god for the other player ghosts throwing me items, cause I wasn't the most prepared for that fight.

Likes from players go to the top point of your star rating from what I can tell. But that's easy to max out if you're like me and focus on building all the roads.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I dislike fishing in Stardew Valley. It is my least favorite thing.

Buy the beginner pole, and use it to level your fishing skill.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I've gotten the hang of it. Still not a fan. Only one more fish to catch for the community center though, so I can stop fishing for a while and focus on that drat rabbit foot. I have rabbits in the maxed out coop, so any day now...

Yes I've been petting them daily.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I've gotten the hang of it. Still not a fan. Only one more fish to catch for the community center though, so I can stop fishing for a while and focus on that drat rabbit foot. I have rabbits in the maxed out coop, so any day now...

Yes I've been petting them daily.

Get that sashimi recipe from Linus and you can turn any crap fish into good energy and health. I don't have to worry about eating those crappy field bars or whatever anymore.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

This Mr. Qi poo poo is serious endgame. ConcernedApe knew his audience with the 1.5 patch.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Patch hasn't hit consoles yet. Or not at least since I played yesterday. Back in a state of decay 2 mood today.

I didn't have the money for the sashimi recipe the first time around, but I have so much going on, I'm not worried about food. Also shitloads of coffee.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I was wondering why all the big mods got updated like right after 1.5 hit, which is a pretty sizable update.

Turns out a few of the modders confirmed that ConcernedApe gave them early access to the patched version so they could work on their stuff to be close to instantly compatible when it dropped.

I'm telling you, that dude is a loving mensch.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah he confirmed that at launch, he knows what the gently caress is up

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Guy that supported him for 1.5 (and in the past iirc) is a goon, too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

post more death stranding progress, reading you guys finding out about it is almost as good as playing it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I finished my drat community center and now some rear end in a top hat gives me a pan?

About 60 hours into Stardew Valley now. Black hole for time.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

post more death stranding progress, reading you guys finding out about it is almost as good as playing it

I just unlocked poop grenades apparently.
Timefall is very stressful, but it's fun running around and playing postman.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bengy81 posted:

I just unlocked poop grenades apparently.
Timefall is very stressful, but it's fun running around and playing postman.

death stranding's starter weapons are legit strong as hell and you could beat the entire game with nothing else super easily.

Stuff you unlock later on it really just to play poo poo differently so get good with the shitnades and you'll be in a good place. Also, using the strand on MULES is kinda the quickest and easiest way to knock em out quick, parry and hogtie all day errday

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

death stranding's starter weapons are legit strong as hell and you could beat the entire game with nothing else super easily.

Stuff you unlock later on it really just to play poo poo differently so get good with the shitnades and you'll be in a good place. Also, using the strand on MULES is kinda the quickest and easiest way to knock em out quick, parry and hogtie all day errday

I really like loving up MULES. The strand feels like a qcq takedown from either MGSV or Batman, and I'm totally here for it.

I like the game cuz I can just play for a ten minutes, or I can play for half the day. Also the story is bonkers enough that it sticks with me if I have to put the game down for a while.
I think I'm about 8 hours I'm now.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I would like to upgrade my PC motherboard, CPU and GPU. I know where to get the first two, how long do i have to wait to get a decent GPU?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

I would like to upgrade my PC motherboard, CPU and GPU. I know where to get the first two, how long do i have to wait to get a decent GPU?

I checked last in December and the smart money says don't order before March

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Then i will upgrade the motherboard and CPU and wait until later for a good GPU
Edit: I DONT WANT LEDs IN MY MOTHERBOARD gently caress

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 15, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Me as Sam when I played Death Stranding last year: -Extreme care in deliveries.
-Died maybe once all game in a boss fight. Did not survive through skill but cowardice and prioritizing running away over tough fights
-Hanging on every goofy plot word and idea
-Picking up fallen cargo a lot (way less later in game)
-All combat nonlethal
-Ropes Ropes Ropes Ropes! More ropes!

A very careful amd service-based Sam.

My wife:
-Runs over packages left in her way
-Immediately jumped off a cliff when given control of Sam
-Skips “thanks” when delivering cargo. Thinks Die Hardman talks too much.
-Pushed mules off a cliff
-Doesn’t bother to more than skim delivery briefings
-Ropes Ropes Ropes Ropes! More ropes!
-Sam the builder rather than Sam the porter. Build all the poo poo!

Total chaos Sam. Gives no fucks except riding motorcycles fast as hell. Says things like “Inguess there’s some lady on a beach,” before jumping a motorcycle off a cliff.

Basically, game is still GOTY. (Her GOTY was BoTW on Switch light). I want to play BoTW when I have time.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm currently happy that I didn't start a new Stardew Valley 1.5 run at the beginning of the winter break, because I would probably have racked up 120 hours in one save and be finished by now.
Now I'm looking forward to playing two and a half hours after work and my daily workout, so it's incredibly chill. I'm so excited for finishing up my first spring today that I'm not even looking forward to having a couple of beers while doing chores in the evening.

Think I'm gonna shelf Death Stranding as well until I have my new PC and then absolutely murder the game during my first week off, since we're probably still gonna be in lockdown-mode where we can only see one other person.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Then i will upgrade the motherboard and CPU and wait until later for a good GPU
Edit: I DONT WANT LEDs IN MY MOTHERBOARD gently caress

My brother got one of those pre-built gaming PC spec machines over the holidays that could light up the sun. After extensive tinkering, we discovered that it simply has a button on the front of the desktop to turn that poo poo off. The motherboard has a controller program to turn other lights off as well. Its still ridiculous.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Downloaded Stardew Valley Extended just to try some new poo poo. Haven't hosed around much with the new NPCs, but the new map and farm is pretty impressive.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My brother got one of those pre-built gaming PC spec machines over the holidays that could light up the sun. After extensive tinkering, we discovered that it simply has a button on the front of the desktop to turn that poo poo off. The motherboard has a controller program to turn other lights off as well. Its still ridiculous.

So far the only LED thing on my list is the CPU liquid cooler i'm getting.

So far my list is:
- an Intel Core i5-10600KF
- MSI PRO Z490-A PRO
- Two Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe
- some horrible LED CPU liquid cooler

Still dont know what GPU to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

ElMaligno posted:

So far the only LED thing on my list is the CPU liquid cooler i'm getting.

So far my list is:
- an Intel Core i5-10600KF
- MSI PRO Z490-A PRO
- Two Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe
- some horrible LED CPU liquid cooler

Still dont know what GPU to get.

For a gpu, I'd probably poke around SA Mart and ask in the pc building megathread if you havent. There was a goon helping people get 3000 series cards. Also there are lots of AIOs without RGBs for cooling. But it can pretty much all be disabled via software.