Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KillHour posted:

This goes back to my "be heavy handed about forcing people to make threads if they want to do this" suggestion. If you get told to shut up or make a thread about it, you should eat ramping probes for ignoring that. I think we're basically saying the same thing and loudly agreeing with each other at this point.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I agree with this completely, and feel like a new OP for USPOL with a solid directory of other threads and a big ol warning in the thread title to read the op (as much as I love funny topical titles) would a solid step in the right direction. Not that more granular discussions aren't welcome or possible but that there are often places more appropriate with more in depth levels of discussion in them. A lot of them are much more slowly moving and easy to keep up with as well, if you are only interested in reading about specific topics.

One of the things about this forum that bums me out is that we get approximately one trillion posts in USPol per hour but a lot of more interesting threads about specific subjects are almost DOA even on the first page while we get zero content hot takes on the same subjects in USPol continuously, so if you want to talk about those subjects you can either post in one of those other threads and watch it crawl back toward page 2 oblivion or you can go try to engage in the USPol slap fight. IKs aggressively shoving back-and-forth discussions out of the megathread would at least help with that I think, although I also think that the gravitational pull of a megathread like that is so intense that there will be no way for that to work without also aggressively clamping down on the white noise and chat-thread style posting at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

One of the things about this forum that bums me out is that we get approximately one trillion posts in USPol per hour but a lot of more interesting threads about specific subjects are almost DOA even on the first page while we get zero content hot takes on the same subjects in USPol continuously, so if you want to talk about those subjects you can either post in one of those other threads and watch it crawl back toward page 2 oblivion or you can go try to engage in the USPol slap fight. IKs aggressively shoving back-and-forth discussions out of the megathread would at least help with that I think, although I also think that the gravitational pull of a megathread like that is so intense that there will be no way for that to work without also aggressively clamping down on the white noise and chat-thread style posting at the same time.

I agree with this post so much that I will, in fact, post my OP about political corruption sometime before... Friday

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

eke out posted:

It is funny to see how someone angrily posted a tweet by a liberal they don't like in order to complain about it, and that gets turned into "USPOL posters are saying they think this is the worst thing to happen to america ever"

this thread is doing a good job at highlighting the precise problems we see in uspol

I mean, obviously some posters had an issue with it, seeing as it devolved into an argument that has now been dragged into here. Seems like the correct course of action would have been to just let the post pass by, if them tearing into Favreau was such a nonissue.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
A few thoughts from observing how strictly moderated forums manage to maintain a high level of consistency:

1. First off, the rules need to be prominently posted somewhere and updated as they change. For example, as can be seen from the quoted tweet on the previous page, not everyone is aware of the recent rule discouraging hot takes from random Twitter nobodies. Posting a new rule on page 1824 of an 80,000 post thread means barely anyone is going to see it. Ideally they are posted above the reply box so everyone has to re-read them before they hit that post button.

2. Rules need to be detailed and specific. The more generalized a rule sounds the less likely people are going to think it applies to them. Catch-all rules are the least effective because while you might think "ah, yes, this one rule covers all situations" they usually end up being perceived the opposite way.

3. For moderation purposes it would be best if each probation referenced which specific rule # was broken. This helps reduce the perception of moderator bias and the feeling that probes are being handed out for arbitrary reasons. If you think you caught a probe simply because a mod/IK doesn't like you, you're more likely to chalk it up to the whims of capricious moderators and less likely to re-evaluate your own posting.

4. Moderation needs to be timely and aggressive. It doesn't help much if probes are handed out hours after they've already caused multi-page derails. Moderation should be used as an active, preventative, measure, not as an after-the-fact punishment. If you don't have enough mods/IKs to do this, add more.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

I mean, that god-awful Marxism thread remained stickied for weeks, so I'm sure if you make a high-quality OP about your topic of choice, you can convince one of the mods to sticky it, if you're concerned about it falling off the front page.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NoDamage posted:

A few thoughts from observing how strictly moderated forums manage to maintain a high level of consistency:
4. Moderation needs to be timely and aggressive. It doesn't help much if probes are handed out hours after they've already caused multi-page derails. Moderation should be used as an active, preventative, measure, not as an after-the-fact punishment. If you don't have enough mods/IKs to do this, add more.

A corollary to this would be that poo poo happens and sometimes real lives get in the way of being able to rush to the computer to mash buttons. More mods/IKs would probably help, but it would still happen, and with the exception of direct threats to self or others, a bad post is not an emergency. The best way to react if you see a lovely post that breaks rules is to report it, ignore it, and move on.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Respect the Mods

lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
e:

Athanatos posted:

This is not the correct thread for this.

\/\/\/oops, sorry.\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 12, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NoDamage posted:

Doctor Nutt posted:

A corollary to this would be that poo poo happens and sometimes real lives get in the way of being able to rush to the computer to mash buttons. More mods/IKs would probably help, but it would still happen, and with the exception of direct threats to self or others, a bad post is not an emergency. The best way to react if you see a lovely post that breaks rules is to report it, ignore it, and move on.

I think successfully moderating USPol is going to mean mods/IKs looking at it more continuously (as much as that's even possible) and shoving people to take it to other more purpose-built threads to head off reports at the pass rather than using the buttons more harshly when reports come in.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Majorian posted:

I'm sorry to hear you don't like that thread. I think it's excellent - the folks who made it and post in it regularly have put a lot of work into it. What don't you like about it, other than that it was stickied for a while?

This is not the correct thread for this.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Make the top 50 posters IKs and let God sort them out.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Aruan posted:

Make the top 50 posters IKs and let God sort them out.

I kind of like the idea of a rotating IK hat to reward / punish (but let's be real - mostly punish) prolific thread posters. All the regular IKs and mods are getting black lung from having to deal with us.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
you could add another 20 iks, set up a shared spreadsheet to track ramps and modnotes, and enforce every rule to the letter, and uspol would still suck poo poo. the bad posting is an emergent property of having such a high volume/concentration of posts – it just couldn't happen to the same extent if the same volume of posts was spread across a number of threads!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What about created a Jira/Spira/Confluence and have the reports auto-generate issues which can then be flagged and categorized by a larger pool of volunteers, for example you can give all IK's basic permissions to edit and move along issues/reports, add context, like a law intern, and then flag it to a mod/admin for action? You could even recruit non-IK's, or create a special form of SA-Intern who don't have site buttons, but maybe a fancy icon, who can volunteer their time to handling a lot of the grunt work, like how its down in big law firms with regards to discovery? You'd solve the manpower issues without having to entertain potential for mischief from giving a lot of peoples badges and guns, instead all you're doing is asking them to read the post that was reported, research the surrounding context, and then modify the generated issue/report to set its priority and severity for a final decision by modmins?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Assume that anything beyond very basic modifications are beyond the current report system which is, and I must stress, just a special subforum a bot posts in.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think you could probably setup a pipeline where SA automatically email's a report to Jira via some sort of Jira extension or widget to create a report as long as its in a relevant format. If you have access to php scripts it's probably doable although I wouldn't envy the person who is responsible for writing that spaghetti code.

e: Jira even seems to support creating issues from emails

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
perhaps instead of using project management software to help moderate a web forum, the problem thread could simply be broken up?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
OK, so with feedback, here's where I'm at right now:

---Rename USPol to USNews; thread is in permanent slow mode
---Make it clear that when big breaking news happens, anyone can feel free to make a fast thread for that topic with very loose OP standards. Generally encourage people to make more threads.
---We put a big directory of threads on US affiliated topics in the OP, and people are allowed to advertise new threads there.
---Mods and IKs will monitor USNews and push conversations and arguments that last over-long into appropriate threads.
---Add a rule to USNews that any posted article or tweet should have a minimums of a sentence of two summarizing the context and what they find interesting, funny, or informative about it.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

proposal: lets create a gofundme to crowd source some funds to send fool of sound and maine paineframe to get six sigma certified so they can create a better, more efficient USPol.

fool of sound posted:

---Make it clear that when big breaking news happens, anyone can feel free to make a fast thread for that topic with very loose OP standards. Generally encourage people to make more threads.
---We put a big directory of threads on US affiliated topics in the OP, and people are allowed to advertise new threads there.
---Mods and IKs will monitor USNews and push conversations and arguments that last over-long into appropriate threads.
---Add a rule to USNews that any posted article or tweet should have a minimums of a sentence of two summarizing the context and what they find interesting, funny, or informative about it.

don't start with slowmode, just add it in if things get especially busy and then break things out into a TVIV thread for urgent breaking events

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Aruan posted:

don't start with slowmode, just add it in if things get especially busy and then break things out into a TVIV thread for urgent breaking events

Slow mode is a good idea, but it's most important outside of breaking news events.

Just look at what happened for the capitol attack: at first there were a bunch of people posting, and any slapfights or super-hot takes were quickly drowned out. Slow mode wasn't even really necessary, but it wouldn't have done much harm; with that much of an audience in the thread and on twitter/f5ing news sites, new updates would have been posted instantly anyway. Unless you wanted the fleeting glory of being the one who gets to post a specific tweet, no harm done.

Once things started to wind down in the late evening, it turned into a couple of much smaller, angier groups (both sides, hilariously, accusing the other of being weak fascist-loving liberals). That's when slow mode would have helped put a lid on things by having people take a breather between posts.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fool of sound posted:

Worth a shot

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

fool of sound posted:

This sounds like a good starting point. If you can adjust the minutes between posts in slow mode, I would prefer something along the lines of ~3-5 minutes though, 10 minutes is a tad too long. Otherwise, 10 minutes is probably better than going without slow mode.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 12, 2021

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

fool of sound posted:

With the other proposed changes I don't think slow mode would be necessary. I think generally encouraging people to make more threads to debate specific topics is a really good idea though - it keeps long derails from cluttering up the main news thread, and also makes it easier to follow up on conversations about those topics without getting drowned out in whatever the news of the day is. This is how D&D and most of the other subforums worked in the past, I'm not totally sure when or why everyone ended up transitioning everything into megathreads.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Perhaps it was an environmental impact decision; after all, threads are a finite resource.

E: I tend to agree if slow mode is going to be implemented it needs to be shorter than ten minutes. Three to five as suggested by a poster above would probably be a good starting place to calibrate, but honestly I think with all the other proposed changes I might wait to see how it goes before implementing it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Actually I think ten minutes might be an interesting way to incentivize people making new threads.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I've put in the request to the code team, but for now it's 10 minutes or nothing.

Jarmak posted:

Actually I think ten minutes might be an interesting way to incentivize people making new threads.

This also might work out pretty well tbh

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Jarmak posted:

Honestly if 3 minutes doesn't make people want to start threads you should add a minute every day.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

fool of sound posted:

This sounds like a great start. Thanks for going through this process.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Athanatos posted:

That's another thing. Sometimes probations are not "You are a bad person for this idea," sometimes it's more of a "chill out a while, go outside, go do something you enjoy, walk away and come back." It can seem like some personal attack, but there are points when you are deep in a discussion and it's getting out of hand, that sometimes it's best to take a break. I've used probations as that plenty of times. It doesn't mean your point wasn't valid or that you can't contribute, it just means at that point in time it was getting a bit much. The world does not end.
Why exactly is it important to probate someone who is getting too involved in an argument, if they aren't being abusive or breaking rules? Sometimes people make arguments they can't back up in the heat of the moment, or say something whose implications they haven't thought through completely. That's ok. There is too much probating of wrongthink and not enough probating of dogpiles and clique behaviour.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Sounds like a pretty good place to start with.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Maybe also start a new thread while at it? 2021 and all.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Maybe also start a new thread while at it? 2021 and all.

This would absolutely come with a thread reboot.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fool of sound posted:

This would absolutely come with a thread reboot.

I know it's not fall still, but can we do it on the day of Biden's inauguration so we can start the new thread off on a happy note?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

fool of sound posted:

I don't know why people are continuously obsessed with trying and retrying and trying yet again slow mode, it is a solution to a nonexistent "problem". It leads to complaints and hard-to-follow edited replies to posts that came afterwards. Maybe lurkers who don't post often will be happy, but I'm not sure why they get a vote.

Regarding tweets and comments: if the tweet in question is from a AAA reliable source and the relevance is extremely obvious and self-evident, I don't believe any sentence is really needed. (extreme example: AP tweet: "Joe Biden announces that an attack against Iran is 'imminent'" Me: "gee, what sentence should I tack onto this to explain the context?"). Same for an ultra-important individual when they tweet almost anything at all about news or politics (speaker, president, etc not just the junior senator from Wyoming) That may be a bit hard to nail down as a rule so it could just be that if you don't explain why we should care about the tweet, then you are just accepting the risk of being wrong.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rigel posted:

I don't know why people are continuously obsessed with trying and retrying and trying yet again slow mode, it is a solution to a nonexistent "problem". It leads to complaints and hard-to-follow edited replies to posts that came afterwards. Maybe lurkers who don't post often will be happy, but I'm not sure why they get a vote.

Regarding tweets and comments: if the tweet in question is from a AAA reliable source and the relevance is extremely obvious and self-evident, I don't believe any sentence is really needed. (extreme example: AP tweet: "Joe Biden announces that an attack against Iran is 'imminent'" Me: "gee, what sentence should I tack onto this to explain the context?"). Same for an ultra-important individual when they tweet almost anything at all about news or politics (speaker, president, etc not just the junior senator from Wyoming) That may be a bit hard to nail down as a rule so it could just be that if you don't explain why we should care about the tweet, then you are just accepting the risk of being wrong.

Probably because those folks make up a solid majority of thread readers and have totally valid reasons for wanting to lurk and listen to ostensibly well-informed people discuss current events. Not everyone is here to :justpost: and SA is still one of the better places for civil political discussion on the internet for the most part.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rigel posted:

Eh, a large number of times the headlines tend to be very click baity and the person posting the tweet didn't read the article. There should at least be a reasonable expectation that they:

a) Read the tweet, and subtweets for additional context.
b) the article the tweet links to.
c) Checked to see if its in the opinion section.
d) That the article concretely supports the claim asserted by the headline.

I don't think a single one of those "Biden mulling over [person we don't like xyzw] for position rbga" articles was correct in the end, but they spawned several pages of arguing that went no where.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Artificial Kid posted:

Why exactly is it important to probate someone who is getting too involved in an argument, if they aren't being abusive or breaking rules? Sometimes people make arguments they can't back up in the heat of the moment, or say something whose implications they haven't thought through completely. That's ok. There is too much probating of wrongthink and not enough probating of dogpiles and clique behaviour.

Do you have some examples of this wrongthink/dogpiles? Everytime I see someone complain about this its usually someone with an rear end in a top hat dumb take and if more then 1 person disagrees they call out "dogpile" or "echo chamber"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

fool of sound posted:

i apologize if any of this comes off as rude, i'm having a really hard time thinking clearly and i'm having extreme difficulty articulating myself politely

as someone who has experience in organizing communities and discussions, this seems like a bundle of half-measures that attempts to please everyone by working in everyone's suggestions instead of taking an angle of attack to tackle the symptoms of the problems. as i see it, the first big problem is that D&D is roughly 50% US Politics and 50% Everything Else, and encouraging even more threads to be made in D&D that are US-centric is asking for Everything Else to get drowned out even harder. the second big problem is that USPol is too many things at once: chat thread, news thread, tweet dump thread, Who's The Lefter Leftist Thunderdome, and occasional animal pictures thread. this list addresses the symptoms of the issue, but not the source, and will likely cause other issues down the line.

to that end, i would like to counter-propose the following:

• Create a USPol Subforum. Containment forums are not unknown on Something Awful, and they are extremely effective. Probably my favorite example is Other Blizzard Games - it's slow, but very well-organized, and it keeps Other Blizzard Game stuff out of the WoW forum and out of Games, making it extremely easy to find what you're looking for and/or contribute to the relevant discussion.
  • Sticky three threads in USPol: USNews, USChat, and a Megathread directory. USNews can be your slow-mode only tweet-dumping thread, USChat can be your US-flavored GBS chat thread, and the Megathread directory is... exactly what it sounds like.
  • Encourage users to make specific threads instead of living in the Chat thread forever. Futhermore, Mods and IKs can push users to splinter off into specific threads if necessary or take their discussions to more appropriate locations.
  • Move all US-centric D&D threads into the subforum, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

i feel like trying to keep USPol in D&D is a mistake. There's just too much to it, there are too many users using it, and it requires too much moderation as a single thread. diluting the USPol experience into smaller and more manageable chunks is the best way to reduce moderator burnout and to keep things from spinning out of control like they love to so much these days

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Other than bullet 3- which is something they're already doing- I'm not sure what having USPol: the Subforum is going to do, other than to be the name used as invective for whatever dominant posting team comes to prominence.